• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
From French website Xboxygen : http://www.xboxygen.com/News/33184-...-la-France-en-liste-prioritaire-pour-le-stock

Head of Xbox France Ina Gelbert :
The choice we made on this launch is really to be present in more countries than at the launch of the Xbox One. Today I do not see any risk for France, under any circumstances. But if tomorrow, a few days before the launch, there is a huge containment in the world... that we will not be able to do much about it.

At least in our plan today, we have the units for the launch. France is in the priority countries. Now, will we have enough... It is always a big question, and that is where we get into discussions for us, and that is my role, to favour France over other countries. Show that we have the community, that we have the market, that there are huge expectations around the Xbox Series X in France and that we need units to cover this demand.​
Xboxygen: Is the production of the console already underway? Is the console in the factories?​
Oh, yes. It's a lot of work to launch consoles like that, given the number of components etc. The lines to be set up in the factories... There's a lot of work to do.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Pretty sure all Western European countries are going to have priority as well as USA/Canada and maybe Mexico as well?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I think MS won't make the mistake of splitting europe again. Phil is a smart guy and probably won't want to take the PR hit they took with X1 launch in europe.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Phil Spencer explicitly said they wanted a big marketing presence in Japan this time

Phil can say what he wants but he needs big exclusive AAA Japanese titles at launch to have even a small marketing presence in Japan. Just check the latest MC thread to see what kind of numbers xbox does in Japan.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Well, I'm in France and I'll be a day one buyer, so I hope that's the case!

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
What they want and what they'll reasonably get, though...
Having a marketing presence and stock to support it is not depending on the market itself but on Xbox strategy. I'm not saying Xbox Series X will suddenly allow Xbox to be successful in Japan, but almost giving up on that region cost a lot to Microsoft with the Xbox One. Phil doesn't want to repeat the same mistake.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
France is SONY and Nintendo. Nintendo is in a league of its own here but as far as « Powerful console » goes Sony rules here
Oh, I see. You are comparing consoles excluding Nintendo. It's the same as "PS3 is the market leading game console in France!"* ** ***

*Comparing only HD consoles
**Excluding Wii
***Excluding portable consoles

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Why would France be a priority country? Out of interest.

Because it's one of the biggest countries in Europe?
It's not like MS should prioritize only USA, Canada, UK and leave France, Germany, Italy, Spain behind. They have to catch up in some ways and treating all the major countries the same is a good start.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Oh, I see. You are comparing consoles excluding Nintendo. It's the same as "PS3 is the market leading game console in France!"* ** ***

*Comparing only HD consoles
**Excluding Wii
***Excluding portable consoles
Nah I mean look at the figures Switch is on the same trend than the PS4 here. But yes in a next gen topic I was implying that vs Xbox France is Sony. People usually get both Nintendo and Sony.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I love how this turned into a pissing contest so quickly, well done guys. Bravo, really.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Poland was treated as Tier 2 country last time and many people, including my collegues and friends, decided not to buy Xbox. They would have to be extremely ignorant to repeat the same mistakes with the launch.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands was a tier 2 country last time around so I am not going to just assume we will get stock this year.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I think France has a lot of potential for Xbox. Back in the PS360 days, it felt like the 360 was way bigger, anecdotal evidence obv, but this completely disappeared with the PS4/ONE gen

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The Netherlands was a tier 2 country last time around so I am not going to just assume we will get stock this year.

gentle reminder that 'last time around' was 7 years ago. xbox was dramatically different and was a far less essential piece of Microsoft.

Easy assumption that there'll be decent stock levels in all Western European countries.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I think France has a lot of potential for Xbox. Back in the PS360 days, it felt like the 360 was way bigger, anecdotal evidence obv, but this completely disappeared with the PS4/ONE gen
It was definitely closer than usual that time but PS3 was still ahead
Le Monde - La PlayStation 3 devance toujours la Xbox 360 en France Xbox 360 ou PlayStation 3 ? Certains joueurs hésitent, mais la France semble avoir tranché en faveur de la console de Sony.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I hope they don't forget Brazil!!
i had Xbox one day one here and it was for a very good price...
hope they include our country again.

Iroshino

Jan 4, 2020
I hope they do not repeat the launch error Xbox One when it was available in a limited number of countries at launch. In Russia, the console went on sale a year after the start of sales in the United States. And although before that I had an Xbox 360, I decided not to wait Xbox One for a whole year and bought a PS4. I want to buy Xbox Series X in Russia this year.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
That tier 1/2 shit really pissed me off as an Xbox guy at the time. Glad to see they are not repeating that strategy. Will be interesting to see how they fare in the Nordics this time. Sony land basically

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That tier 1/2 shit really pissed me off as an Xbox guy at the time. Glad to see they are not repeating that strategy. Will be interesting to see how they fare in the Nordics this time. Sony land basically
France stating they're a priority country basically confirms tiers though? It makes sense as well, even though it sucks if you're in a lower priority country.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
France is pretty much Nintendo-Sony, but Microsoft made quite the sales during the X360 days (cheaper console and all), even if PS3 closed the gap and even surpassed it in the later years
Yeah it did great but the article above says that in 2010 for the third year in a row in France PS3 sold more than the 360. Unless you're talking worldwide

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Pretty sure all Western European countries are going to have priority as well as USA/Canada and maybe Mexico as well?
What makes you think that about western european countries? especially since you said ''all''. We didn't have a pandemic in 2013 and multiple western european countries weren't part of the first wave.