• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
As a result, at a bare minimum, Xbox Series consoles should retain three to four "next-gen" game save states for the sake of Xbox Quick Resume—though, thanks to my back-compat limits, I've been unable to test this claim as of press time.

Instead, I've pushed my tester Xbox Series X console with a mix of XB1, X360, and OGX content to test how many save states I can cram into the console's internal memory before the feature stops working. My average result has been 12 games. Meaning, I can manually load 12 games, then go back in order to reload each of the dozen, and they'll each have a brief "Quick Resume" tag appear on the screen before reappearing in fully playable, middle-of-the-game action within five to 12 seconds.
arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X hands-on: The big back-compat dive begins [Updated]

Xbox Quick Resume impresses. Plus: New controller, auto-HDR, venting holes, and more.

Really nice feature, this.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So If I buy multiple Series X's, I can have all my games ready to quick resume? lol

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
While this is cool, I can't think of a situation where I'd need 12 games ready to go faster than they'd already boot up normally.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That's impressive.

Will quick resume work on disc games? I imagine you would still have to put the disc in the drive for the license check, but it should still work, right?

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive but I can't see myself ever needing to keep more than one or maybe two games suspended at any given time.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you can turn it off and free some reserved SSD space... i would rather install few more games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
12?!

I know the Gamespot guy was saying that they lost the save state at 'around the seventh' game but was very unscientific and loose.

12 is bonkers, even if it was a rare case (although they do say this was the average). I thought it'd cap out at specifically 5 games.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, that's super impressive, on the other it's kinda meaningless. Like, among the "games i've recently played" i don't even remember the game that's 4th down that list, let alone 12th. 😅

Like, i'd still be autosaving and save-and-quitting like crazy, because just like on mobile devices i wouldn't entirely trust the machine not to flush my game from memory / storage.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
On one hand, that's super impressive, on the other it's kinda meaningless. Like, among the "games i've recently played" i don't even remember the game that's 4th down that list, let alone 12th. 😅
Yeah but it allows you to keep writing to your SSD for funsies.
I hope I can turn it off.

Are they persisted on the SSD? Does quick resume survive a cold (re)boot?
Yes, memory gets dumped and written to SSD when you put games into QR.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool, I thought quick resume would be limited to a set number of titles, but it's actually a more variable system based on storage space.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
That's a cool feature! I can't imagine myself jumping between that many games though. I usually focus on only 1 or 2 games at a time, I think 3 games would be the max for me.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone isn't creating a Wario Ware themed challenge with this in mind. What are they doing.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'll be honest, that seems like way more than necessary. I wonder if people will be able to control how much SSD space is set aside for this. I can't imagine using more than 3-4 games at a time.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So are the storage chicken littles appeased yet lol. This is why it's 800GB available. It's not just the OS.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Does the system warns you that you reached the limit and that if you store a new game you will lose one of the previous save states and can you choose which one(s) do you want to remove?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah but it allows you to keep writing to your SSD for funsies.
I hope I can turn it off.

Yes, memory gets dumped and written to SSD when you put games into QR.
It does. You can power down your console, unplug it from the wall, install an OS update/reboot etc and it still saves your states.

I assumed it does but wasn't sure. Awesome it's working this way. Thanks!

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I must really be the outlier based on the responses to this thread, don't think I'd ever use this feature to be honest... I don't even use rest mode on current consoles for games, only using it when I have a download running.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Seems overkill, but hopefully we can tune that. I'd rather have space for an extra game and give up some of the quick resume capacity.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they let us choose how much SSD space is reserved for quick resume. I understand not having it be completely open to how much hard drive space is left. People would get in the habit of suspending everything instead of closing and suddenly there's no hard drive space left and a lot of people wouldn't understand why. Plus hard drive space will be a premium until these ultra fast SSD's come down in price.

I wonder if you can suspend the same game multiple times. Either in one profile or in separate profiles.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I must really be the outlier based on the responses to this thread, don't think I'd ever use this feature to be honest... I don't even use rest mode on current consoles for games, only using it when I have a download running.

The nice thing about Quick Resume is that you don't need to use rest mode. It'll save your state even if you completely power down your console and unplug it from the wall. When you next turn on your console you can just boot right back into where you were before without needing to go through cold booting the game and going through the title screen etc. Or even the last five (or 12?) games you played.

don't think I'd ever use this feature to be honest..

It's not something you need to 'use', it's just how the machine works. You'd use it every time you turned your console on.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Time to have the likes of Mirror's Edge and Viva Pinata on quick resume just so I can look at them all shiny.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they let the user turn this down to 3 and free up some disk space?

It probably is only about 3 XSX games. Would need about 40 GB reserved for that. But Xbox One games use 5-9 GB, Xbox 360 just 512 MB and OG Xbox a paltry 64 MB of memory. You could probably suspend every backwards compatible OG Xbox game with no problem in 40 GB.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Does this not survive through rest mode? The games are stored on the SSD after all.

I'm not personally imagining using this all that much, I very rarely have more than one single player game on the go and multiplayer games won't handle it well in general. But I could imagine having something like Tetris just always there ready to go while I'm waiting for friends or matchmaking. Presumably the biggest bonus with this is going to be for homes with multiple gamers.

Jan 4, 2018
Switching between Battlefield V and Battlefront 2 will be so easy now. No more insane loading times when starting the game.

Last edited: