• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Xbox One and Xbox Series emulation OT.

1. Brief History
Previous thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-299-xbox-series-s-is-an-emulation-beast-mvg.331526/

2. What can I emulate?
Currently you can emulate using most of the Retroarch cores, as well as some stand alone emulators like Flycast, PPSSPP, and a UWP port of PCSX2 called XBSX2.

You'll need a Series S|X to properly emulate the following:
  • Nintendo 64
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • GameCube
  • Wii
  • Nintendo DS
  • Playstation 2
  • Playstation Portable (Most games)
Not even the One X will do. This is due to the Jaguar CPU. Some games might work on the OneS/OneX (like Mario 64). However, the most you will be able to properly emulate on a Xbox One for sure is PSX/PSOne.

3. Where can I download?
The current Emulation discord is here: https://discord.gg/emulation-hub-1007582798598647889

It's a general emulation server now, but there are guides for Xbox.

4. How do I install?
Dev mode guide:

View: https://youtu.be/GxQT6fMQ2jg

It is highly recommended that you use a external USB drive for files. There is a USB Guide in the app-guides channel, for using XboxMediaUSB. This will simplify making a USB drive for the Xbox, for both Retail and Dev apps.

Using LocalStorage with an FTP app and deleting the emulator app without removing the files you put there first will require you to format the console to get that space back. DurangoFTP is dead so this won't matter anymore

5. How do I configure <X> emulator?
There are guides in the discord with step by step instructions in the several guide channels. Due to the amount of emulators, there are too many guides to list here.

6. Do I need a dev account?
No, as long as the retail apps are available. Download them, open them once, and they will stay until you delete them. There is a notification in the discord when they are re-uploaded, if you have the proper role.

Yes. Retail apps are dead.

If you have a developer account, then you can get the dev apps whenever for the developer environment, from the appropriate channel.

7. Can I get banned by installing this?
On Retail, yes. People have gotten 15 days bans for installing and using the last round of whitelisted retail apps. And if you upload a retail emulator to the store, your console will get banned.

Dev mode: nope. You can do whatever.

8. Can I use discs?
No. You'll need to make a backup.

9. I have issues, where can I get support?
The Discord currently has a support forum, using the new forum feature in Discord. You should search there first. Searching before posting is highly encouraged.

10. Retail Apps are down! What do I do?
Wait until they are re-uploaded. Or go the Dev Mode Route. Mind you, this will require a 5 minute console restart to swap between Retail and Dev mode.

(Black Friday deals coming soon, so maybe get a second XSS for permanent dev mode? 🤔 )

11. Why is this a barebones OT?
Because links now require you to have a role in the discord, and the developers are asking to not post the links outside. I was going to keep a threadmark with updates and current links, but that went out the window. So what you really need is the discord link.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i support this thread

duckstation specially is amazing on xbox series

Flycast and PPSSPP are not bad though

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This OP was needed, great job. Also debating if I should just format my XB soon since I did local storage back in the early days of retail

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I will keep adding things to the OP for quick directions.

For example, XboxMediaUSB is the recommended method to create the flash drive for this.

If you are in the discord, current guide is under the app-guides channel, called "USB Guide".

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can they remove the emulators remotely? Isn't there an AetherSX2 build for the Series as well? I'm more interested to the power of the PS2 emulation, what's the current ceiling, like what game can't it play performance-wise, and up to what upscaling can be done?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't need one, at all, but the idea of getting a Series S mainly for emulation is really appealing

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Thanks, I downloaded Retroarch on my retail XSX a while ago and it was very easy.

I just remembered that I can play MGS The Twin Snakes in 4K.. I guess I'll do that someday.

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Can they remove the emulators remotely? Isn't there an AetherSX2 build for the Series as well? I'm more interested to the power of the PS2 emulation, what's the current ceiling, like what game can't it play performance-wise, and up to what upscaling can be done?
No they can't. They behave as delisted games/apps, but can't be redownloaded.
That's the old one. XBSX2 is the latest one. You can just download XBSX2 on the side and try it.
Current ceiling? Open world games that hit the CPU hard might have some dips, but most play fine.
Upscaling? Up to 4K on Series X, 16X factor.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No they can't. They behave as delisted games/apps, but can't be redownloaded.
That's the old one. XBSX2 is the latest one. You can just download XBSX2 on the side and try it.
Current ceiling? Open world games that hit the CPU hard might have some dips, but most play fine.
Upscaling? Up to 4K on Series X, 16X factor.
16x? Are you sure that's not antialiasing? Is XBSX2 really that good?

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
16x? Are you sure that's not antialiasing? Is XBSX2 really that good?
lmao, meant 6X.

Can do 8X

20221020_205017.jpg

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, meant 6X.

Can do 8X

20221020_205017.jpg
lol all good I was just surprised with the 16x claim. Hmm, too bad I don't have a USB, would an all external hard drive setup work? I have a copy of Mercenaries which I can play via BC but I'd rather play it upscaled in a PS2 emulator and go ham with save states.

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
lol all good I was just surprised with the 16x claim. Hmm, too bad I don't have a USB, would an all external hard drive setup work? I have a copy of Mercenaries which I can play via BC but I'd rather play it upscaled in a PS2 emulator and go ham with save states.
The harddrive can work if you set it up. The Xbox will see it as a media drive only tho.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the new thread!

So I'm using XBSX2 and just running games up to 6x 4K on my 4K TV

Anyway to make the framerate run at 60?

The little fps counter at the top says I'm 25/30

However it does feel smooth unless I'm mistaken?

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I would get the new version of the app, then move the files to the new version - so it basically leaves shadow file space for each app? I don't think I've uninstalled the older app versions at all yet...

Ah, then you're fine. It's if you left the files and then never took them out before deleting the old app.

Thanks for the new thread!

So I'm using XBSX2 and just running games up to 6x 4K on my 4K TV

Anyway to make the framerate run at 60?

The little fps counter at the top says I'm 25/30

However it does feel smooth unless I'm mistaken?

Uh, what xbox is this? what game? not all were 60 fps games.

Do UWP apps like this work over Remote Play?
Yup

Last edited:

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Dumb question but I once installed retroarch, PPSSPP, and the FTP app then uninstalled them. I don't think I FTPd anything over, would I have lost any local storage space?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
No, it's only if you put files into LocalStorage.

You didn't so you're fine.

Oh dear...Looks like I'll be needing to format my Series X SSD then. Dammit.

Well at least this makes things much less complicated though. With the latest update Xbox now intelligently installs games in the "right place" so a game doesn't need to be on the SSD and can run from the external HDD instead that should work. Thankfully I'll only need to format the main console SSD. I shouldn't need to touch my Expansion Card. Probably should just format my External HDD too and install what I need instead of just hoarding games I'm not playing too while I'm at it.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, then you're fine. It's if you left the files and then never took them out before deleting the old app.

Uh, what xbox is this? what game? not all were 60 fps games.

Yup

Oh Xbox Series X my bad

And pretty much all the games I've tried

Dynasty Warriors 5, Dragon Quest VIII, Silent Hill 3 etc

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Are these games available with emu?

-Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
-Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
-Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
-Silent Hil 4: The Room

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Can we play these games with emu?

-Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
-Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
-Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
-Silent Hil 4: The Room
As in... What versions? Xbox versions of the PoP games are BC already iirc. Even available digitally for sale on the MS Store.

PS2 and GC versions should work with the emulators.

SH4, the PS2 version should work with the emulator.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
It is highly recommended that you use a external USB drive for files. There is a USB Guide in the app-guides channel, for using XboxMediaUSB. This will simplify making a USB drive for the Xbox, for both Retail and Dev apps.

Using LocalStorage with an FTP app and deleting the emulator app without removing the files you put there first will require you to format the console to get that space back.

I messed with this ages ago and found it a bit... tricky on XSX. Thinking about diving back in but curious about this bit in OP: I installed it on the internal drive, and I'm thinking about wiping that and starting from scratch with a fresh install on an external drive. Is there a place where I can see a guide on safely deleting everything to avoid the problem mentioned there?

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get Retroarch on my Series X set up, ROMs are on a USB key. I'm in it more for the convenience really. It's nice to have emulation on the TV without having to use my PC.