OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a recommended front-end for Dev Mode? The Discord is all kinds of fucked up now and I can't find anything in it.

Looking for something that would let me run my games with a nice UI instead of just a text list.
Would I just use Retroarch or is there something else?
github.com

GitHub - retropassdev/RetroPass: Retro Pass is a simple frontend for emulators running on Xbox.

Retro Pass is a simple frontend for emulators running on Xbox. - retropassdev/RetroPass

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Like in general? Or for the emulators themselves? Because you can make the console boot into the same style of front end that retail does with the tiles if you go into options.

If your talking the emulators themselves you can use retro pass. Grab it here.

xboxdevstore.github.io

Xbox Dev Store

An Xbox Dev Mode Store for all your favorite apps and emulators.

github.com

GitHub - retropassdev/RetroPass: Retro Pass is a simple frontend for emulators running on Xbox.

Retro Pass is a simple frontend for emulators running on Xbox. - retropassdev/RetroPass

I think LaunchPass might meet the needs of what you are looking for. I watched a YouTube video overviewing it and the setup process last year, but LaunchPass ended up being ~1GB in file size and I didn't have the space to allocate on my USB drive at the time.

I thought it looked great and integrated all of the emulators into one UI experience.

Are RetroPass and LaunchPass the same thing? Or does each have pros and cons over one another?

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
FYI
⚠️
Xbox Series S users beware!
⚠️

An update has dropped (both pre-February, and during), that seems to have broken some emulators specifically on Xbox Series S.

The currently known fix is to set the output resolution to 1080p, anything(?) higher can cause crashes that shouldn't otherwise happen. (1440P hasn't - to my knowledge - been tested).

Xbox One / S / X and Xbox Series X users are not affected.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks. Cause I know a bunch of folks specifically bought Series S consoles to run emulators.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
i've been completely overwhelmed as a total newcomer trying to figure out emulation for the first time over these past couple months. even a lot of the basic vocabulary that most beginner's guides take for granted goes over my head, leading me down this circular path of bouncing between one guide to try and understand a different guide to then needing to consult a third guide and on and on until i end up back at square one

i've never been tech savvy, but going into this i just assumed the abnormally vast quantities of video game knowledge i've accrued over the past thirty years would somehow translate into intuitively understanding how to follow simple emulation instructions without issue. but alas

i clearly need help so i tried to join the discord listed in the op, but the invite link is dead. is there a current one that some kind soul could dm me?

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
Well, good news for the Xbox scene for once.
They have gotten rid of ANGLE for the N64 emulator/core and now it uses MESA, the performance in now much much better

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how well every video in this playlist works but I just followed it a few nights ago resetting up Retroarch with my new SSD and I haven't found a guide that hasn't worked yet. Pretty good step by step for getting dev mode activated, apps installed, what you all need, and setting for each individual core.

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGTaokZjTu7hL4PCwaYbNkdLPgQL5NJJ0&si=oN8igR-QU5jn0v4_

I follow his videos and was able to get everything set up with his videos.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
I'll add a permanent invite later to the OP
i'll keep my eye out for it. thank you!

in the meantime, for any kind souls in this thread who can comment on this undoubtedly ultra beginner obstacle, here's one of my first stumbling blocks: i only have access to a mac, and most guides are for windows or make it seem like doing this via a mac is more complicated (unless you use boot camp, which i've never messed with + costs money for windows licensing so i'd rather avoid it). i guess the ideal scenario is just downloading an emulator to my desktop and putting it on an sd card before messing with anything on the xbox side... but are there extra steps i need to do to make that happen with a mac? for example, one guide i was trying to decipher talked about mac's having some restrictions on what can be put on sd cards so you have to do some special formatting process first before you can put an emulator on it. i don't even have an sd card reader at the moment (stupid apple), but i want to get these initial steps figured out before i buy an adapter

Nov 2, 2019
i'll keep my eye out for it. thank you!

in the meantime, for any kind souls in this thread who can comment on this undoubtedly ultra beginner obstacle, here's one of my first stumbling blocks: i only have access to a mac, and most guides are for windows or make it seem like doing this via a mac is more complicated (unless you use boot camp, which i've never messed with + costs money for windows licensing so i'd rather avoid it). i guess the ideal scenario is just downloading an emulator to my desktop and putting it on an sd card before messing with anything on the xbox side... but are there extra steps i need to do to make that happen with a mac? for example, one guide i was trying to decipher talked about mac's having some restrictions on what can be put on sd cards so you have to do some special formatting process first before you can put an emulator on it. i don't even have an sd card reader at the moment (stupid apple), but i want to get these initial steps figured out before i buy an adapter

The playlist I have posted above has a video for Mac. There is a $100 VM but there's a 14 day free trial you can use to get it done.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Xemu devs were interested in porting their work over, OG Xbox emulation is the thing I wanted most from this.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
The playlist I have posted above has a video for Mac. There is a $100 VM but there's a 14 day free trial you can use to get it done.
thanks, i'll check that video out. 14 days is plenty to download the emulators and pop them on an sd card i'm sure, but how about ripping games to add to the emulators? that will be much more of a long-term thing, and if i still need windows to install games i might just be better off paying the $100 at some point down the road

still seems crazy to me that there isn't an easy way to do this natively on mac

Nov 2, 2019
thanks, i'll check that video out. 14 days is plenty to download the emulators and pop them on an sd card i'm sure, but how about ripping games to add to the emulators? that will be much more of a long-term thing, and if i still need windows to install games i might just be better off paying the $100 at some point down the road

still seems crazy to me that there isn't an easy way to do this natively on mac
From what I understand from the process it's just so you can get the necessary Xbox files to put on your flash drive. You need some security certificate. After that you can do whatever you want to put on your flash drive. It's just the initial dev kit setup

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
Can I use the same external drive for both dev mode and retail? I have a 4tb drive that I want to be able to store retail games on as well as roms. Is this possible?

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
Added it to the OP

discord.gg

Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games

Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.
thank you! i poked around in this discord a bit and... it's kind of convoluted and overwhelming (leading me to believe that if i can't even figure the emulation discord out, what chance do i have of figuring out actual emulation?). for example, there doesn't appear to be a channel to ask general questions in an instant message format—there's a forum system instead, which is much more confusing to search through and navigate than a place like resetera or even reddit. but it's definitely good to have it as a resource

i do think i have enough guides and gumption at my disposal though to finally give this all an attempt—i just need to get the proper equipment first. which i think only entails an ssd drive + the right adapter for my macbook. to that end, can anyone verify that these two products would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSZT2J7/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4FP2VX/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=AOVIA3BFQYMH&psc=1

also just to gauge my current stress levels surround this, does emulation seem overwhelming for most (non-programming) people at the very start? the way i hear it discussed on podcasts and forums makes it sound even easier tying your shoe, as if everyone who's ever played a game has known how to do it from birth, but good lord it appears so complicated from the outside looking in

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
thank you! i poked around in this discord a bit and... it's kind of convoluted and overwhelming (leading me to believe that if i can't even figure the emulation discord out, what chance do i have of figuring out actual emulation?). for example, there doesn't appear to be a channel to ask general questions in an instant message format—there's a forum system instead, which is much more confusing to search through and navigate than a place like resetera or even reddit. but it's definitely good to have it as a resource

i do think i have enough guides and gumption at my disposal though to finally give this all an attempt—i just need to get the proper equipment first. which i think only entails an ssd drive + the right adapter for my macbook. to that end, can anyone verify that these two products would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSZT2J7/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4FP2VX/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=AOVIA3BFQYMH&psc=1

also just to gauge my current stress levels surround this, does emulation seem overwhelming for most (non-programming) people at the very start? the way i hear it discussed on podcasts and forums makes it sound even easier tying your shoe, as if everyone who's ever played a game has known how to do it from birth, but good lord it appears so complicated from the outside looking in

I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's overwhelming to newbies. Russ from Retro Game Corps has a lot of excellent guides for setting this up. I didn't understand retroarch at all until I read his guide and then it started to click. He has a guide for series s/x emulation as well. Great resource.
Retrogamecorps.com

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's overwhelming to newbies. Russ from Retro Game Corps has a lot of excellent guides for setting this up. I didn't understand retroarch at all until I read his guide and then it started to click. He has a guide for series s/x emulation as well. Great resource.
Retrogamecorps.com
this site seems like it will be a huge help. i honestly really hate video guides for this type of thing—there are way too many to choose from, they're much longer than i have the patience for, and scrubbing through them to find the specific questions i need addressed is a hassle

what you linked, on the other hand, seems like an extremely clear text guide that will be super easy to skip around in the find exactly what i'm looking for. so thanks a ton!

i ordered my ssd + mac adapter + usb c to a cable a little bit ago, so once those arrive in a few days i'm planning on locking myself in a room and not coming out until i get things up and running. because life's too short to not rip and play my recently purchased copies of historical oddities like tingle's rosy rupeeland, the soprano's: road to respect, and mario hoops 3-on-3

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
10+ hours spent today starting from absolute square zero with emulation

it seemed like i was so close to getting things up and running. so close! i have my dev mode account, have dolphin/retroarch/whatever the ps2 one is called installed, have virtual machine windows running through my mac, got my new ssd properly formatted*, and have my rom rips ready to load...

*except once i tried to move the roms from my desktop to the ssd, i kept getting a "file size exceeds the limit" error. for fat32 the file size limit is 4 gigs, but i do not have fat32 and do in fact have nfts, where the file size limit is 16 tb or something ridiculous. not that either of those factors should matter anyway, because the largest file i was trying to add to my ssd was less than 1.5 gigs!

i kept getting the error message basically no matter what i did, so i tried reformatting it again except this time the xboxmediausb tool kept hanging during the formatting process... i gave up after about 30 minutes of it not finishing. compare that to earlier in the day when i first used xboxmediausb and it formatted my drive in a matter of seconds

so then i manually reformmated it, and lo and behold, some of those files that wouldn't copy over to my drive could now be transferred, but a quite a few others still couldn't. it's been driving me nuts

i eventually decided to just plug my drive into my xbox to see if i could get what games i did have installed up and running and... no luck there either. there was no prompt when i plugged it in where i could set it to "media" (which the couple guides i was using recommended doing), + when i clicked on my drive from the additional storage system section from the system's option menu, it took me to an error page in the microsoft store. using a crucial x6, for reference

so yeah... seemingly so damn close, but apparently not actually close at all. the fact that this all happened after 10 hours of straight tinkering made it extra crushing and frustrating, but i'm trying to remind myself that i've wanted to get into emulation for twenty years now and i've made exponential progress in just one day compared to the last two decades (when i was always too intimidated to even attempt looking into it). i've still lost all hope that i'll have anything functioning by the end of the weekend, but alas, i'm in way too far now to give up. i'll keep beating my head against it until things start to work, regardless of how long it takes or how maddening it gets

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
I got the standalone Dolphin app up and running, but I'm having a real headache with Wii motion control input. I keep finding conflicting information that it cant AND can't be done on Series S/X. Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction?

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
I got the standalone Dolphin app up and running, but I'm having a real headache with Wii motion control input. I keep finding conflicting information that it cant AND can't be done on Series S/X. Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction?
Unfortunately you are out of luck, the Xbox Emu Discord server has controller profiles for certain games like Soul Calibur Legends, Spider Man Web of Shadows, Punch Out and more, that allows you to use the controller normally

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately you are out of luck, the Xbox Emu Discord server has controller profiles for certain games like Soul Calibur Legends, Spider Man Web of Shadows, Punch Out and more, that allows you to use the controller normally
I haven't been following xbox emulation new this year. Any new exciting features since mid last year?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah that's a shame. It works pretty damn well but would have loved to see more work put into it. My series S has the dev mode license and it's been a blessing being able to go through so many games in my library without having to lug over old hardware to my living room. I'd love to see the ability to upload saves to the cloud so I can sync them up over stuff like memcard pro