• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will be the GPU difference in terms of teraflops?

• About a 30% gap in favor of the Xbox Series X (in line with the 12TF and 9.2TF leaks)

Votes: 95 47.0%
  • About a 15% gap in favor of the Xbox Series X

Votes: 46 22.8%
  • A negligible GPU gap in either direction

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • About a 15% gap in favor of the PS5

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • About a 30% gap in favor of the PS5 (I live in a tub of dreams)

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
The new year and the next generation of consoles by Microsoft and Sony are right around the corner. We know quite a bit about the next generation consoles in broad terms but not a lot of specifics. There's been a lot of leaks, a lot of insider talk, a lot of claims, but they don't all fit and there's a lot of contradictions if you try to piece the entire story together.

So what better time to gauge where folks think one particular aspect of these next generation consoles will land then now, right before we get potential blowouts of concrete information? We can all look back and laugh at ourselves a year from now as we enjoy next generation visuals. But for now, let's start the new year with a bit of commitment.

The latest in a long line of leaks suggest that the PS5 is 9.2 TF and the Xbox Series X is 12 TF. We've had previous leaks suggest the two are closer, others suggest the PS5 is stronger but those are older leaks versus this most recent one. Digital Foundry even put out a video recently with the 9.2TF and 12TF figures, giving it much more credence.

Additional context:
- A 2.8 TF gap would be one of the largest gaps between two competitive consoles launching in the same year. It might end up being the largest gap but I haven't double checked that particular assertion.
- Microsoft has very openly stated their goal and intention to be the strongest console on the market and they seem to be having a secondary cheaper SKU to perhaps offset a beast of a console in terms of tech.

Do you think the latest leak and that power gap will be accurate? And if not, what is your expectation of the eventual power differential? Do you expect the price to be the same or different?

(I am ignoring price in this poll to avoid far too many options but if you think that will be a factor in anyway, feel free to put that in your post.)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
can we stop tossing around the term flop
tera flop
big flop
microflop
sonyflop

this flop war is almost entirely meaningless

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Dont think this thread is very useful. We don't have any concrete information at all.

At this point the best thing to do is just wait.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Missing a "don't care" or "not sure at this point" option. I expect Series X to be more powerful than PS5, albeit marginally. But in the end it's mostly speculation, and it's not like it matters that much outside of console war nonsense.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Missing a "don't care" or "not sure at this point" option. I expect Series X to be more powerful than PS5, albeit marginally. But in the end it's mostly speculation, and it's not like it matters that much outside of console war nonsense.

The "don't care" option was not entering the thread!

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
giphy.gif

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Some people would absolutely LOVE if the Xbox Series X would have more TF for many juicy reasons.

Tbh though leaks and rumours and all this speculation is hilarious without any confirmation.

I find this all a joke really. 🙈

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

You don't have to vote. It's just a fun poll to see where folks stand.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How about; who gives a fuck.

If the machine has 9TF, it'll be a more than capable machine. The more important part is the new cpu and new SSD.
As a PC player I've never understood this focus on graphical prowess console players have, while still on 30fps and with loading times that I do not see as acceptable.

I played Sea of Thieves with a friend on Xbox two weeks ago. While we were already fully stocked on resources on the island, he was still in a loading screen.
That's going to be the big differentiator next gen.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Regardless of the github leak I think it will be close.
There is more info we are missing.

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
Xbox is gonna pull out every stop to come out ahead of PS4 in terms of power, which may make it suffer due to the price point. I think the leaks are accurate to what we're gonna get.

Oof at the sides flipping from the beginning of this gen. We'll see if this translates to success.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
PS5 but I can be very wrong. Go ahead and quote me and ridicule me if I am wrong.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has talked about ps5 twice via wired and they have carefully avoided saying anything about the gpu performance, the main thing that matters to nextgen graphics, not even multipliers. That makes me believe that it's nothing too exciting and less than xbox but how much less remains to be seen. Saying it's over 2x Ps4 Pro doesn't sound good, that's why they are avoiding it. I think it will be sufficient, but that's beside the point.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
We as gamers are going to win

Seriously this.

I am a PC guy first and foremost so I could care which one is more powerful but if the Series X does actually turn out to be more powerful, does it really matter that much? Both systems are gonna be HUGE upgrades over what the last gen brought us. 9 TF with that cpu, ram and ssd is still going to be really good.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Additional context:
- A 2.8 TF gap would be one of the largest gaps between two competitive consoles launching in the same year. It might end up being the largest gap but I haven't double checked that particular assertion.

30% gap is less than the 40% gap between the Original One (1.31) and PS4 (1.84).

From a flop perspective, I believe the differences between PS2, GCN, and Xbox were also larger. Architectural differences there probably make a flop comparison useless, though.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
30% in favor of xbox is a option, 30% in favor of ps5 and you live in a tub of dreams?

Difference will, especially onscreen, will be negligible.

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say Xbox, but I'll still buy a PS5 as I have a lot of PS4 games. I'll be secretly disappointed third parties will run better on Xbox.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's safe to say SX will be more powerful than PS5. By how much though and what are the real world results?

Cannot wait for the DF comparisons next gen.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
the fact people think there will be a large gap between both is a bit wild on a business sense if amd doesn't offer first dips on silicon with their progress isa bit wild if anything even if sony are lower their gap between the more expensive series x shouldn't be much or at least a cheaper price point in favour of sony for next gen i can see xbox being the more powerful but not a drastic difference

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If the recent leak is true I wonder if Sony will try to up their clocks last minute to close the gap some..?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
PlayStation 5: 399$, 9-10 TF
Xbox Series X: 499$, 12-13 TF

But PlayStation 5 will have the fastest SSD. The visual difference on those consoles will be really small.

TeaToe

Oct 30, 2018
~20% for the Xbox Series X

Gonna be the best for 3rd party games. But PS5 will still be fine with it's great first party lineup.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Maybe Microsoft would be better off having a system about the same as the PS5 in price and performance but also a Pro model If you will right out of the gate for $100 more.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
PlayStation 5: 399$, 9-10 TF
Xbox Series X: 499$, 12-13 TF

But PlayStation 5 will have the fastest SSD. The visual difference on those consoles will be really small.

I have been following rumor and fantasy threads with side eye, but... do we actually know yet what this mythical "fastest SSD ever to exist" is? Specs and such.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
At the moment it is looking like the first option of Xbox with a 30% advantage. Still holding out hope it's a bit closer than that. The less fanboys have to play with on either side the better.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Put me down as ps5 being 7.5% Stronger and it being completely unnoticeable graphics wise.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Xbox Series X will be more powerful, way more powerful but then again it all comes down to games.

I will do the same as I did with this generation.

Xbox Series X - Buying all 3rd party games on it because they will run the best with top notch resolution and frame rate
PlayStation 5 - Home to exclusive Sony titles and Fighting games. I still prefer Dual Shock d-pad for fighting games. Also for some reason I prefer buying indie games on PlayStation. Not sure why... but they feel just right, might be the reason that I can Remote Play them on my Vita.

But yeah.... Xbox Series X will win the POWERHOUSE this Gen for sure. I just hope they give us some great story driven single player games as well.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm still in the both are sub 10TF club. Both will use phony numbers to illustrate a "it runs like 12TF of last gens power due to optimizations" narrative.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS4 GPU had 40% more FLOPs performance than Xbox One in 2013. It also had twice the number of ROPs (giving it twice the pixel fillrate per GPU clock cycle) and 8 ACEs (Asynchronous Compute Engines) compared to 2 in Xbone GPU.

A 30% Flops advantage for Xbox Series X over PS5, if that ends being true, is not insignificant.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
They're gonna be close. Some things will be better on XSX, some things will be better on PS5.

They're never gonna use a 2GHz GPU clock in a console in 2020. They're gonna go wide and slow, just like they've always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.