• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
The economical solution is to use an existing HDD and just transfer games to and from the Xbox as you need them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Forget Microsoft OP, give me $200 and I'll send you a 1tb hard drive, no problem.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
called it. go look up 1 tb pcie 4.0 nvme ssd ($170+ street price which isnt far off wholesale). then add proprietary tax.

I did think it would be 170-200 though, simply because anything higher seemed unimaginable.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Well, fuck. I have no idea how much 1TB of SSD storage is supposed to cost, but I was hoping it would be around $100 US, give or take $20.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
That's almost the price of an entire Series S. If that's real then not having the need for proprietary storage will be a great advantage for ps5 going forward.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I knew storage would be a barrier to entry with these new consoles... I guess no external storage support then. Makes my decision that much easier.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
There ain't no way I'd give Seagate that much money lol.

I think you're probably better off using an external HDD for cold storage.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the problem is not the price...the problem is seagate :-\

i will probably be hunting those newer samsung QVD SSD for PS5....

if only Hitachi produced nvme ssd

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
???

This is $100 more than what you can generally find 1TB SSDs for. (or $50~60 or higher for an NVME)

For the same speed as the Series X SSD?

I think people are gonna be shocked if they think they can plug any old SSD into their PS5 as well. Apparently there's nothing available today that will match their specifications. In the long run PS5 will be cheaper but it's probably gonna be a couple of years.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The purpose of these is being able to run the games off of them with excellent r/w speeds.

These aren't replacing just normal storage of games you aren't playing.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
anyone that was expecting a reasonable price for a proprietary accessories from MS forgot how much they were charging for a 120gb HDD for 360

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For MSRP, it's on the higher end but not beyond the pale.

www.newegg.com

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB SSD - Newegg.com

Buy Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Ideally should be max of $200. Big difference though is that I don't expect this to drop in price for a long time compared to a regular SSD.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
This is 209 dollars and I can assure you it doesn't have the same build quality than what Seagate and Xbox are cooking :

Amazon.com: ORICO 1TB Mini M.2 NVME Portable SSD Hard Drive External Solid State Drives Up to 940MB/s with 3D NAND/USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C for PC Laptop Mac Phones and More (SSD Included): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ORICO 1TB Mini M.2 NVME Portable SSD Hard Drive External Solid State Drives Up to 940MB/s with 3D NAND/USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C for PC Laptop Mac Phones and More (SSD Included): Computers & Accessories

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I knew storage would be a barrier to entry with these new consoles... I guess no external storage support then. Makes my decision that much easier.

external game storage is supported on XSX and XSS for all games, the only caveat is you can't play next gen games off the external drive

you can still play, like, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and OG Xbox games off external drives though, and that's pretty much the vast majority of everyone's software libraries right now

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I expected $150-199 when comparing to simlar class PC SSDs. Hopefully this is placeholder.

That's almost the price of an entire Series S. If that's real then not having the need for proprietary storage will be a great advantage for ps5 going forward.
SSD's for PS5 that have to be over double the speed of the propriety Xbox drives are going to be more expensive than whatever this ends up being.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought the PS5 only accepted a specific SSD as well. Isn't the idea that expandable SSD storage provides the same fast loading speeds instead of the slow SSD/HDD solution?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn didn't think it would be that freaking expensive but guess they gotta recoup some the money they are likely losing at launch.