• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a smart "carrot" approach. This will probably convince a lot of people to buy direct than to get cheap codes (which is what I'll keep doing).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this.

I've got a friend who has a UK account but he moved to Spain. I wonder if it would lock him out or nor with the same country restriction.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm interested in this.

I've got a friend who has a UK account but he moved to Spain. I wonder if it would lock him out or nor with the same country restriction.
Probably would lock them. Though it may be based on the country set in the console settings which may be of no problem to them? Idk. Im pretty sure a Microsoft account is global and not regionally locked unlike PSN accounts. Which is why you can "go to new zealand" to play games early

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The wording is so weird that it feels that there is a catch, but if it is just like the Nintendo family plan but for gamepass ultimate and everything included, awesome

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The wording is so weird that it feels that there is a catch, but if it is just like the Nintendo family plan but for gamepass ultimate and everything included, awesome
The only confusing thing is if its 4 users total or 5 total. Not much of a catch. $25 and you add microsoft account emails to your "family" to share benefits with. Thats all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The only confusing thing is if its 4 users total or 5 total. Not much of a catch. $25 and you add microsoft account emails to your "family" to share benefits with. Thats all.

Nah the entire thing has weird wording
Like "sharing gamepass benefits" probably does not mean the actual benefits tab of gamepass (the one that gives you skin), but makes you wonder if all 4 or 5 people will be able to play xcloud at the same time, for example

Like I said, it is probably just weird wording

I am curious about the stuff they don't talk about, like how the rewards will work since it is sharing one gamepass account and buying gamepass time is one of the rewards

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Like "sharing gamepass benefits" probably does not mean the actual benefits tab of gamepass (the one that gives you skin), but makes you wonder if all 4 or 5 people will be able to play xcloud at the same time, for example

I am curious about the stuff they don't talk about, like how the rewards will work since it is sharing one gamepass account and buying gamepass time is one of the rewards
Rewards are account based irrelevant from game pass. You can just earn more Rewards via game pass. You would have access to xCloud individually under the plan as well as the library/EA Play. Probably not perks? That's a good question. You are paying extra so having individual perks seems possible.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I wonder how much this will increase Xbox Series S sales.
That's what I was thinking.

If someone already has a family plan but only has three accounts (because maybe it's just them and their two kids), there's strong potential network effects where they can say "hey, friend, you should buy an Xbox and I'll add you to my plan and you can just get all of the Game Pass games for free."

Pretty wild. Wonder if it will apply to PC as well, where the other benefits (e.g., locking people into a console they might make a lot of purchases on) don't apply. Not unthinkable that this will be console-only.

Oct 27, 2017
No. This is unrelated to primary Xboxes. You put the other users' emails under your paying account as family members and the privileges are shared via that. Not based on home console
That could be really cool for my wife and I if it means we just pay for one membership, tho of course I'd have to wait on the family price coz since it's just two of us why wouldn't I just stick with the primary/secondary console loophole?

I hope they don't get rid of that to sell family memberships

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That could be really cool for my wife and I if it means we just pay for one membership, tho of course I'd have to wait on the family price coz since it's just two of us why wouldn't I just stick with the primary/secondary console loophole?

I hope they don't get rid of that to sell family memberships
I doubt they will get rid of it because it isnt limited to just game pass / gold. It relates to purchases too. And for handling multiple consoles with the same account. You'd be better off sticking to the primary/secondary usage if its just you two.

Sandbox

Jan 28, 2019
Imagine this with Xbox series S (Call Of Duty) bundle that cost only199 $ .

This will make Xbox fly off the shelves fast in holiday season

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they will get rid of it because it isnt limited to just game pass / gold. It relates to purchases too. And for handling multiple consoles with the same account. You'd be better off sticking to the primary/secondary usage if its just you two.
Sounds like it but then I'd at least be able to play game pass stuff offline on my secondary, decisions!

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

If someone already has a family plan but only has three accounts (because maybe it's just them and their two kids), there's strong potential network effects where they can say "hey, friend, you should buy an Xbox and I'll add you to my plan and you can just get all of the Game Pass games for free."

Pretty wild. Wonder if it will apply to PC as well, where the other benefits (e.g., locking people into a console they might make a lot of purchases on) don't apply. Not unthinkable that this will be console-only.
Yep.

I think this is where Game Pass really shines. Getting people into the ecosystem and spending elsewhere. If you get your kids into Game Pass and get them their own Xbox Series S, you still have to buy DLCs like Forza Horizon 5's Hot Wheels. Forget how much money Xbox makes on subscriptionsā€¦ the money is on getting everybody into their ecosystem, buying non-Game Pass games, and extra spending in GP games due to Game Pass.

biRdy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Denver
This can't come soon enough. Currently pay for mine, younger sister, and 3 nephews so this would be perfect.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this with Xbox series S (Call Of Duty) bundle that cost only199 $ .

This will make Xbox fly off the shelves fast in holiday season

I think Game Pass's biggest remaining hurdle is just general consumer awareness.

It's hit the point where they just really need to start marketing the ever living shit out of Game Pass so that normal consumers begin to understand what it is and why it's a great value for them.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I think Game Pass's biggest remaining hurdle is just general consumer awareness.

It's hit the point where they just really need to start marketing the ever living shit out of Game Pass so that normal consumers begin to understand what it is and why it's a great value for them.
Yeah pretty much, they may just be waiting for those ABK games to hit the service to go hard on the marketing. If shoving Diablo and CoD in people's faces doesn't propel GP into the mainstream then nothing will

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

I think they will once they have a consistent release schedule.

I still want to see the commercial of someone walking into a store to buy a $70 game and another person walking into a store and grabbing 100 games and paying $10.

klauskpm

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Wow. I hope this delivers. In Canada it looks like it would cost $28 or $29 (17/18*30), but even if it costed $30 it would have been fine.

It will be amazing both for saving money and playing with people you like.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
So, the main GPU account will get converted to this new GPU+ subscription. Got it.

Based on this, what do you think will happen when another GPU subscriber joins a group?

Let's say, my friend is the group leader and he have 1 year of "GPU+". When I join his group, my 2 year GPU subscription gets erased and only that 1 year keeps couting? Or will it be put on hold while I'm in a group but available after I leave it (minus the time spent in group)?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
i am sort of interested so i could play offline again

kind of drives me nuts because my brother's console is the home console.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So, the main GPU account will get converted to this new GPU+ subscription. Got it.

Based on this, what do you think will happen when another GPU subscriber joins a group?

Let's say, my friend is the group leader and he have 1 year of "GPU+". When I join his group, my 2 year GPU subscription gets erased and only that 1 year keeps couting? Or will it be put on hold while I'm in a group but available after I leave it (minus the time spent in group)?
Thats addressed in the OP

• Conversion is not available for invited group members. Before joining a group, a group member can cancel their existing subscription or wait for it to expire. If they do not have a Microsoft account, invited friends and family will have to create a new Microsoft account and sign in with it to participate.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like this is going to work very similar to Microsoft 365 Family which is going to be great.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Thats addressed in the OP

• Conversion is not available for invited group members. Before joining a group, a group member can cancel their existing subscription or wait for it to expire. If they do not have a Microsoft account, invited friends and family will have to create a new Microsoft account and sign in with it to participate.
Thanks

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I said it before but this will be insane if they get this out to other countries too.

A bunch of friends who love CoD, come together to get family plan for $5 each to play CoD. That's going to be insane value.

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the positive reactions to this news! I think this will truly help families and groups of friends get the best out of Game Pass

5 users total including the primary account.

All accounts (primary and secondary) get the full suite of benefits of Game Pass Ultimate. Cloud Streaming access, Game Pass and EA Play library on both consoles and PC, rewards etc. Secondary users cannot share their Game Pass Ultimate via their Home console to other users outside of the group, but the primary account can; this is to stop a massive chain of home consoles being used to share the benefits of a single family plan. Secondary users can still set a Home console to share their actual purchased games, just not their Game Pass Ultimate

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Glad to see the positive reactions to this news! I think this will truly help families and groups of friends get the best out of Game Pass

5 users total including the primary account.

All accounts (primary and secondary) get the full suite of benefits of Game Pass Ultimate. Cloud Streaming access, Game Pass and EA Play library on both consoles and PC, rewards etc. Secondary users cannot share their Game Pass Ultimate via their Home console to other users outside of the group, but the primary account can; this is to stop a massive chain of home consoles being used to share the benefits of a single family plan. Secondary users can still set a Home console to share their actual purchased games, just not their Game Pass Ultimate
Thanks for coming in and clarifying! Are you able to share details on how the country limitation works? Is it based on internet locale or is it the console/MS account set region needing to be the same as the main account holder? How would XCloud work if you were to be out of country for example?

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This'll sell me a Series S or 2 if it rolls out in the UK. My kids are getting older and they use my sub but I was going to gameshare a separate sub between both of them as they can't play when I'm using my Xbox. Adding them both to my account so they could use it when I'm online would be pretty sweet.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Right now I can only play free to play games together with the family or game pass with 1 other family member.

I can't wait for us all to be playing Forza Horizon 5 together or going a Gears of War Horde Mode or Halo Co-op, i hope it's not to far away.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
  • Joining the Game Pass ā€“ Insider Preview will convert the time remaining on your membership to time in the new plan, based upon the monetary value of the old membership. For example, a full month of Ultimate will be converted to 18 days of membership for this plan. This way you won't lose any of the remaining value on your existing subscription upon conversion. Conversion is final, and users must wait for their new membership to expire before returning to a previous membership.
Honestly, this reads to me like the days of the 1:1 Gold to GPU conversion are numbered. They clearly know how to convert from a lower tier to a higher value tier at the proper value conversion. šŸ˜¢

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for coming in and clarifying! Are you able to share details on how the country limitation works? Is it based on internet locale or is it the console/MS account set region needing to be the same as the main account holder? How would XCloud work if you were to be out of country for example?

The same country restriction is for legal and tax compliance reasons so is based off the Microsoft account's billing location. There are also a couple of other restrictions to prevent mass abuse (just like the yearly limit on home console switches) - there is a yearly limit to the number of different people that can invited (to prevent a monthly rotation of accounts being added) and a yearly limit to the number of different family plans you can join (to prevent users bouncing around between spare slots in family plans).

We totally understand that user's go holiday with their consoles and nothing prevents that. And if you don't take a console, Cloud Streaming does a geolocation lookup to route you to the closest data center already. šŸ˜ƒ

This'll sell me a Series S or 2 if it rolls out in the UK. My kids are getting older and they use my sub but I was going to gameshare a separate sub between both of them as they can't play when I'm using my Xbox. Adding them both to my account so they could use it when I'm online would be pretty sweet.

The current announced countries are for public testing and this will be rolling out further when the family plan launches (cannot comment on when that is exactly)

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for something like this from Microsoft with my family of 5. Right now we all have individual GPUs loaded until 2024 but will definitely make the change to this after those subs run out. Great value, Microsoft keeps on rocking with GPU

judavc

Oct 27, 2017
The same country restriction is for legal and tax compliance reasons so is based off the Microsoft account's billing location. There are also a couple of other restrictions to prevent mass abuse (just like the yearly limit on home console switches) - there is a yearly limit to the number of different people that can invited (to prevent a monthly rotation of accounts being added) and a yearly limit to the number of different family plans you can join (to prevent users bouncing around between spare slots in family plans).

We totally understand that user's go holiday with their consoles and nothing prevents that. And if you don't take a console, Cloud Streaming does a geolocation lookup to route you to the closest data center already. šŸ˜ƒ

The current announced countries are for public testing and this will be rolling out further when the family plan launches (cannot comment on when that is exactly)
Hi, I'm from Colombia and I'm wondering, are you testing the family plan here for some special metric or was it random?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hi, I'm from Colombia and I'm wondering, are you testing the family plan here for some special metric or was it random?
Oscar can answer ofc, but I would assume it's because Ireland and Colombia are small markets so it's easier to test with a subset of users before progressively rolling out the functionality to broader users/regions.