• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2018
damn I really hope PS4 has a good BC rate with PS5, if not it'll fucking suck. I really don't have room for multiple consoles, I usually keep like an old one for a little bit and then sell it. A shame for all those great PS3 remasters that haven't been ported, hell even MGS4 is stuck on PS3.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair Sonys page this gen and the second half of last gen has been to release stellar exclusive after stellar exclusive. Only Nintendo have had a similar approach.

People are talking about their messaging and not the quality of the games which has always been top notch. It's fine to criticise even if you feel the need to constantly defend or hype a company's actions.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is gonna have their work cutout for them if the new Dynamic Latency Input also retroactively helps the Xbox One games that were notorious for awful input lag.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
People are talking about their messaging and not the quality of the games which has always been top notch. It's fine to criticise even if you feel the need to constantly defend or hype a company's actions.
I just find it hard to criticize their messaging when I'm bombard with so many good games. Like do I care they're slow to reveal the ps5? Absolutely not because I'm enjoying their games with some quality looking ps4 exclusives still to come. From my side of the coin it's a completely different perspective.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
see? from kerotan's side of the coin it's completely different. glad we could sort this out.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good on MS for being clear and consistent with their message about BC.

Sony's marketing has been quite shit as of late.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if MS can do better with their disc installation because it was terrible on Xbox One and better offline support, then I'll be getting an XSX day one.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I want an xbox to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey again, crazy maybe, but it's the thruth.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Yeah that's a hell of a value proposition, try our brand new console plus these 200+ games right now!
Its the promise of the shitty plug and play console you can find at Toys R Us but with the Hardware quality of the Surface team and game quality that of AAA and indie darlings.

Its gonna be a fun year for games.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair Sonys page this gen and the second half of last gen has been to release stellar exclusive after stellar exclusive. Only Nintendo have had a similar approach.

Wouldn't that be a page in addition to the other pages? Better hardware, exclusives, cheaper price, clear messaging...those were all pages of the book of PS4. MS has had pretty clear messaging this far, which is a page out of Sony's 2013 book.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Wouldn't that be a page in addition to the other pages? Better hardware, exclusives, cheaper price, clear messaging...those were all pages of the book of PS4. MS has had pretty clear messaging this far, which is a page out of Sony's 2013 book.
The mass market didn't care that the X was much stronger then the pro. It was all about the games. The switch proving that too. No coincidence the switch and ps4 sales have continued to dominate the Xbox all gen from launch till today.

The ps5 will be an excellent piece of hardware by the looks of it. I'm sure price will be right and I've no doubt the games will be too. Sony have the winning formula. They've launched 5 consoles that have shipped 75-80M+ and 3 that are over 100M. Microsoft has only 1 over 80M and surely won't beat that next gen.

To me this gen MS is saying the best place to play xbox is on the pc. That's not a very clear message for the console.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The incentive to buy a next gen Xbox this holiday with the crazy deal that gamepass is, giving you hundreds of games that run better than ever before, with games like all Halo's, including infinite, Gears, Forza Horizon 4 and presumably also next-gen Forza, Ori and all the other games that are part of the service without the need to buy a single game with the console, seems very huge to me.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
The mass market didn't care that the X was much stronger then the pro. It was all about the games. The switch proving that too. No coincidence the switch and ps4 sales have continued to dominate the Xbox all gen from launch till today.

The ps5 will be an excellent piece of hardware by the looks of it. I'm sure price will be right and I've no doubt the games will be too. Sony have the winning formula. They've launched 5 consoles that have shipped 75-80M+ and 3 that are over 100M. Microsoft has only 1 over 80M and surely won't beat that next gen.

To me this gen MS is saying the best place to play xbox is on the pc. That's not a very clear message for the console.

Ohh. What? I should have just said yikes and kept it pushing.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forgive me, what? How do you come to that conclusion with all the info that we had that revealed all the details in what MS engineered in and around the console? Did you ignore that completely?

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I really like this.

It means I can get an Xbox One Series X and see possible improvements to games I already own (or services I subscribe too) and my friends and family who are not into gaming as much as myself can still play on their current consoles and we can all still play together.

Also this means I don't have to shell out loads of money on launch day as I will still have plenty of games to play (mostly thanks to Xbox Game Pass).

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they work at adding more OG Xbox games. There's not a whole lot, but I still can't completely ditch my 2001 box!

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

The mass market was already invested in the base consoles 4 years prior but the x did well with enthusiasts. Also you saying people will buy the games on pc isn't proving the point you think it does because it's still money and arguably more profitable money.

it's 2020 bro walled gardens don't matter anymore

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The argument was that people were already locked into an ecosystem so why would they move to a One X when they have a large PS4 digital library. That kinda made sense then.

people then said that folks would move to PS5 because of that library and BC which as of this time is pathetically represented by the top100 games by play time (hey fifa 2015 how you doin')

people have more of a reason to transfer now if Sony don't make drastic improvements to BC before launch. There's a strong message to "play your old games with better visuals" that resonates with people that will lead people to Switch.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cant wait to play halo 1 in 20 years on the 7th xbox gen

m23

Oct 25, 2017
100%? Can't wait if someone manages to find one game that doesn't work.

I think the only exceptions will be Kinect games. I feel like I read or heard Phil say something about Kinect not being supported, but I don't know if anyone would really lose sleep over that.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I hadn't been keeping up with all the Xbox news but I had assumed this was the case, good to know for sure though.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I want an xbox to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey again, crazy maybe, but it's the thruth.

It's not crazy at all. If there are classic games we still find appealing, why wouldn't we want a modern system that is able to run them? People sometimes buys classic mini systems with 20+ games included because they want to experience those games today. And that's quite a limited library compared to the thousands of titles Series X will be backwards compatible with.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was known a long time ago. Outstanding that for console warring reasons people actually had to ask Microsoft to confirm something they already confirmed in the past, just to make sure PS5's backwards compatibility isn't on par with XBX's.

That aside, as someone who's got several hundreds of Xbox One and Xbox 360 games alike, the fact I can carry the vast majority of them to the XSX again, with once again enhancements to most games, is a godsend and basically reason enough to invest in the new system.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Time to make sure I gradually move over all my games to my external hdd.

My only concern is the games that haven't had the back compat treatment from 360/Xbox, I hope they would revisit this one day as one the series x releases with all the Xbox One games available there would be nothing else for the back compat team to look at.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not crazy at all. If there are classic games we still find appealing, why wouldn't we want a modern system that is able to run them? People sometimes buys classic mini systems with 20+ games included because they want to experience those games today. And that's quite a limited library compared to the thousands of titles Series X will be backwards compatible with.
I don't have any kind of xbox console anymore, but I still have a few games :) I also didn't miss the xbox one much, since it only had a couple exclusives I was interested in. But I have a feeling this will change next generation, and offcourse xbox 360 had a lot of ganes I liked.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
RIP to our fallen brother.
giphy.gif

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
At least Xbox One gamers can rejoice in the fact that their entire library can be converted to the Xbox Series X.