• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
giphy.gif
There was an interesting thread about it. Some users have posted link on page 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Well done Microsoft.
I really like what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox brand, but it's still not for me.
I can play most of this stuff on PC, but I can also understand that there are a lot of people that don't want a gaming PC.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft are doing work in the area of machine learning for texture upscaling. I wouldn't be surprised to see a feature like that end up being used in BC scenarios at some point in the future. They've not announced anything like that though.
This would definitelly improve things, but would it be as effective/good as doing it manually?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad that Microsoft's awesome efforts in BC have seemingly made this a bigger deal to a lot of people that Sony is catching a lot of heat right now for their lackluster BC news. If one company is putting their all into preservation, people are going to expect the other to do the same. Microsoft raised the standard. Hopefully it causes Sony to at least re-evaluate their overall stance on this going forward into the PS5's lifespan.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I haven't committed to buying a Series X yet, but as a multiplatform owner, news like this has me leaning towards getting 3rd party games on Xbox because I know they will be available in the future, and perhaps even enhanced. Wild times ahead lol

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
I want an xbox to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey again, crazy maybe, but it's the thruth.

As a Life is Strange fan I wonder what happens to stuff like Captain Spirit which is labelled as a Demo with no achievements. It's a prologue (sorta) for Life is Strange 2 and will hopefully not get lost when we move forward.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
There are remasters that have been using machine learning rather than doing it manually. I expect it to become increasingly commonplace as the technique matures.
I didnt know that. Is there a list of those games? If the result is good, it certainly would be time and cost efficient compared to doing it manually.

Going off what we've seen of folk using AI upscaling it would really depend on the game. It can produce some amazing results though.

b7GyFf5.png

uYnnwsT.png
That looks pretty good, indeed.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All Xbox one will Benefit of the enhancement or just few of them ?
Depends what type of enhancements. They all will benefit from faster loading times, framerates hitting their cap more often or locked, dynamic resolutions hitting it's highest resolution more often or locked to it, and any other enhancements done at the system level such as increased anthropomorphic filtering and machine learning HDR added to games without HDR.

Enhancements such as Increased resolutions and framerates beyond their cap will only occur on select titles and the BC team has to apply their methods and test them individually.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of the marketing really feels like the reverse of last gen where Sony made that pass the disc video as a jab to Microsoft. Now we have to the new social media age version with Microsoft taking a jab at Sony.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the marketing really feels like the reverse of last gen where Sony made that pass the disc video as a jab to Microsoft. Now we have to the new social media age version with Microsoft taking a jab at Sony.
MS didn't take a stab at Sony. They simply answered a question on twitter by a fan spurred on by constant threads on Resetera claiming Xbox never confirmed 100% BC of XB1 on XSX.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Depends what type of enhancements. They all will benefit from faster loading times, framerates hitting their cap more often or locked, dynamic resolutions hitting it's highest resolution more often or locked to it, and any other enhancements done at the system level such as increased anthropomorphic filtering and machine learning HDR added to games without HDR.

Enhancements such as Increased resolutions and framerates beyond their cap will only occur on select titles and the BC team has to apply their methods and test them individually.
All games will get increased performance, but only a curated list will get resolution boosts beyond their limits.

Thank you it deems fair enough. Very good stuff ! Better than the PS5 right now...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is suffering to like old games and be in the Sony infrastructure

I am legitimately jealous and salt.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Sony messed up

Great news for Xbox fans though. I'm tempted to get the Series X at launch lol

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Just like with the BC for the Xbox One family of devices (One, S and esp the X), MS added additional goodies on top such higher res, frame rates, etc. ]

Now we may be getting HDR added even for games that didn't have em like Halo 5. Simply AWESOME.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like with the BC for the Xbox One family of devices (One, S and esp the X), MS added additional goodies on top such higher res, frame rates, etc. ]

Now we may be getting HDR added even for games that didn't have em like Halo 5. Simply AWESOME.
BC OG Xbox games like Fusion Frenzy even got HDR added. LOL It's simply AWESOME indeed.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a ton of interest in standard backwards compatibility. However, I have enjoyed playing upgraded versions of old games IMMENSELY. it really has been one of my top unexpected surprises this generation, and I'm looking forward to more of that.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Man, these wars be serious business. It's sad that this had to be even clarified. Buy what system you love and be happy. If you like what's on the other console, then buy the other console. This isn't a life or death decision here. These 2 companies have done nothing for you to earn such devotion.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok just one question: this includes physical games, right? Like I know it would have to download it anyway like on Xbone, but if I plop a Chaos Theory disc into Series X it would let me play it, ye? Also do my (compatible) 360 digital purchases carry over?

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible job. Thanks for making it so I can trade in my existing hardware without fear of losing any of my existing digital purchases. Pro-consumer af.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even MS aren't stupid enough to say "all". It just leaves you open for lawsuits when something random doesn't work.