• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So, I noticed a while back that Xbox stopped updating their Xbox 20/20 announcement website, and was curious why they didn't bother to include the Xbox Games Showcase into the archive. Then when I checked again, the link got deleted lmao: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-2020

This used to be a hub page that had May Inside Xbox details, and was meant to be a hub for Xbox 20/20 related announcements.

So I did some checking on all Xbox 20/20 related things, and found this quietly updated Editor's Note that was attached 3 days ago to the original Xbox 20/20 post as linked below: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/05/xbox-2020-the-future-of-xbox/

[Editor's Note on 8/7/2020 – Xbox has a massive year ahead of us, as outlined below. After reassessing our programming for the rest of the year, we've decided to stop using the "Xbox 20/20" phrasing as it implied that we would be releasing information in one way only, through a dedicated monthly show. We've got so much more to share with news about Xbox Series X, new games like Halo: Infinite, and cloud gaming via Xbox Game Pass. We're going to share that news in a variety of ways. It may sometimes be a dedicated show, YouTube videos, partnering with others, or sharing the latest via Xbox Wire. We want to stay flexible with how we connect with you.]

Goodbye, 20/20 - we hardly knew ye.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Well it lasted all of a month so, yeah. Haha.

Whatevs - it was kind of odd in June but we're clearly close to them putting all the cards on the table. Just a few more weeks now.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Was the wording ever used...?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Using 2020 in your branding name is looking for a curse. Sonic 2020 went the same way.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
That didn't last long lol

But I think this is better. Now, they can be more flexible with their announcements structure

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
MS' next gen rollout has been troubled, to say the least. Said it before, but if delays are COVID/WFH related they're probably better off communicating that than just making it up as they go along as we approach September without concrete launch details.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It was a nice idea but with the pandemic and everything it was never going to work.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Not surprised to be honest. It must be some of of Microsoft habit to launch monthly announcements only to ease into random news drops. Did the same thing with Backwards Compatible games.

My only concern is they haven't quite branded these events effectively. They just don't seem to carry nearly as much weight as the other stream announcements.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Good. Seems like they realized spreading out the announcement was just making them look weak. Hopefully with their next event they won't hold anything back.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in committing to things like that just to get people excited.

Be flexible, good to hear.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They never really executed on it, so I assumed it wasn't going to be a thing. I guess it's nice to see confirmation.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
While May inside Xbox's bad reaction could done something to it, i think it's more due to MS didn't expect things go a lot worse since May-COVID spread super quick, BLM movement starts etc.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Good, so we won't have stupid threads about them not using the 20/20 branding when they announce things lol.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
feels like they wanna make sure Sony goes first before announcing Lockhart and price tbh. That's why they cancelled this - we might not get a price and console this month.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
They've been pretty reactive to Sony lately so I can see why. Like there was supposed to be an event on June to reveal lockhart that got moved to August and Inside Xbox was kind of a dud. They simply had to.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
CliveLH redeemed.

www.resetera.com

Did Microsoft forget about its Xbox 20/20 monthly events only 1 month in ?

In early May, Microsoft announced the Xbox 20/20 monthly series of event : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/05/xbox-2020-the-future-of-xbox/?ocid=InsideXbox_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_lrn_5.5.1 May 7 Inside Xbox was the first of these monthly "moments" and they said the July one will "dedicate...

God I love it when smug people eat shit.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No surprise, their marketing has been shocking, even back then that it was for the best that this idea was dropped.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MS and Sony should stop chasing each others tail and give us proper information about PS5 and XBOX Series X|S release date, price and launch titles.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
CliveLH redeemed.

www.resetera.com

Did Microsoft forget about its Xbox 20/20 monthly events only 1 month in ?

In early May, Microsoft announced the Xbox 20/20 monthly series of event : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/05/xbox-2020-the-future-of-xbox/?ocid=InsideXbox_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_lrn_5.5.1 May 7 Inside Xbox was the first of these monthly "moments" and they said the July one will "dedicate...
Yup i remembered him getting alot of flack but he was right

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
MS and Sony should stop chasing each others tail and give us proper information about PS5 and XBOX Series X|S release date, price and launch titles.

Yea this will be dragged out as long as they can, they both want to be able to undercut or match. The other thought is the price is going to be bad and no one wants to go first to say it.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea this will be dragged out as long as they can, they both want to be able to undercut or match. The other thought is the price is going to be bad and no one wants to go first to say it.
Sony can do it easy... say a price... and if MS matches it just release the console bundled with a game or a PS+ subscription

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like they want to do small announcements, so they could announce the XSS in a YouTube video without having to explain price so they can wait for Sony.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I love how they missed a beat exactly one month after announcing this initiative, but then took until August to make that editor's note.

It's not like it means anything in the long run, but you'd think they could have just added that in June when it would have actually cleared things up.

Now we're at the point where we'll have updates in July and August, so idk man. The timing just feels weird unless it's just about them not having anything on the docket for September.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony can do it easy... say a price... and if MS matches it just release the console bundled with a game or a PS+ subscription

Hopefully it happens soon then. Microsoft just cancelled a whole marketing plan because they didn't want to announce the price first - I can't see them going first now.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The way xbox has handled their rollout has been really odd. You'd think they'd have all this planned out. I wasnt even expecting a huge show each month just new console on the system. Like how they collaborated with youtubers to show the console being disassembled.

They could have had little videos where they spot lighted specific features of the console like the UI or Backwards Compatibility.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still just shocked Sony and MS are both planning on releasing their new consoles this year. Best case scenario in the U.S. is things in November are comparable to right now, which is that the economy is horrible and people are stressed. But when schools open up across the country it's possible that the virus spreads astronomically and daily life and the economy are magnitudes worse come November.