• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.xbox.com
51602145252_b20a78d295_b.jpg

Pretty fun! Makes me excited to think about what else they're going to reveal to celebrate 20 years. I'm definitely expecting some new Backwards Compatibility updates.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think blades worked perfectly for certain things, I'd kill for the system settings menu to use blades or the start menu button stuff to be blade based. It stopped working for stuff like the marketplace when the content library got large, but its a great controller UI for many things.

I miss the keyboard from the 360 as well, they solved typing on a controller, then moved to a normal qwerty layout Xbox One on, regression for sure.

Jul 1, 2020
NXE was a big deal but I really like the way blades extend the visual language of that original 360 design to it's UI.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
While you all argue about whether or not blades was a good UI I'm just going to post the superior UI

na6DjTX.gif

EntireSomeAphid-size_restricted.gif

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Blades were cool for the time but seem so outdated now. I could never go back to that.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really love everything Xbox is doing this year, from the Series X itself, BC moves, UI improvements, the way they're rolling out cloud gaming (it even works well with touch controls on mobile!), the stellar game pass lineup, their showcases, the fact that they seem to be nailing Halo again and are having strong first party releases at a decent clip, and now this kind of nostalgic touch. I don't know. I like their vibe a lot, and I'm a happier Xbox fan than I've been in well over a decade, if not ever. It's finally been the year their efforts to turn the ship around have paid off in spades, in my view... and I'm very optimistic about the years to come.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's hilarious.

The buttons are bringing me back to the web circa 2005. Love the huge chunky glossy bezels.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love everything Xbox is doing this year, from the Series X itself, BC moves, UI improvements, the way they're rolling out cloud gaming (it even works well with touch controls on mobile!), the stellar game pass lineup, their showcases, the fact that they seem to be nailing Halo again and are having strong first party releases at a decent clip, and now this kind of nostalgic touch. I don't know. I like their vibe a lot, and I'm a happier Xbox fan than I've been in well over a decade, if not ever. It's finally been the year their efforts to turn the ship around have paid off in spades, in my view... and I'm very optimistic about the years to come.
They've done such great job of celebrating their brand and showing appreciation and gratitude to their consumer base as well. They're just making literally all the right moves right now.

This is the best Xbox has been since inception, and it's not particularly close.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
This plus the tweet about Xbox announcements this week makes me think more Back Compat titles are coming........

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
They've done such great job of celebrating their brand and showing appreciation and gratitude to their consumer base as well. They're just making literally all the right moves right now.

This is the best Xbox has been since inception, and it's not particularly close.

I agree. They're hitting their stride in the same way Sony seemed to early last gen, where everything they do seems like a great move, and exciting announcements always seem to be around the corner. It feels really good.

May 25, 2019
London
Yes, yes, the blades are overrated but what people liked about them is that they felt like a natural extension of the actual hardware. Like the open disc tray button at the bottom of the UI resembled an actual disc tray. Things were organized, with different colors, and fast.

People do forget that one of their justifications for leaving the blades behind was that it really limited how much they could keep adding and improving the experience. XBox Live Marketplace used to be a single link on the Games tab, then it got its own blade several months in. They just wanted to keep expanding functionality without having to add blades every time

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about resolution even a little bit, and I'm not sure what a frame rate boost would really do for a turn-based RPG, but I guess? Making it actually playable would be a nice step, is all.
What do you mean? It's already backwards compatible and runs at a locked 30fps.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Awesome! Glad they're making a callback to the blades - I still think it was a cool UI no matter what.

It would be sweet if they made an XSX theme for it or an actual updated/modern blades UI for 2021!

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017