• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017

PlanetKiller

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haha Microsoft is the king of deceiving words.

They always try make it sound like its exclusive no matter if its timed, launch or another version.

Its just funny at this point.

It is what it is. Console Exclusive is just that exclusive. If they were just using it as a console launch, they would say Console Launch exclusive. Microsoft isn't trying to hide anything here.
It's exclusive and not timed exclusive either.

In other words, the exclusivity has changed from timed console exclusive and now it's really an exclusive Xbox One and PC exclusive ONLY.

PlanetKiller

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I seriously dislike Microsoft's wording of things this gen. Going to be tomb raider 2 all over again. "Totally exclusive guys!...for awhile. Maybe. Who knows lol"

No, the wording is really clear here. It's exclusive to Xbox One (console) and PC. There is not going to be a PS4 version. Game Preview mode is irrelevant on the exclusiveness part.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
It is what it is. Console Exclusive is just that exclusive. If they were just using it as a console launch, they would say Console Launch exclusive. Microsoft isn't trying to hide anything here.
It's exclusive and not timed exclusive either.

In other words, the exclusivity has changed from timed console exclusive and now it's really an exclusive Xbox One and PC exclusive ONLY.

Reaaaaaaally doubt that man. If that were the case they would have said so in their announcement article yesterday, however they said console launch exclusive multiple times. That would have changed within hours? And this wouldn't warrant a much bigger announcement? I really believe it does.

Again, it is not a mess up. It is clever PR wording.

No PlanetKiller, no. The Game Preview is the exclusive bit, not the full release.

Ok but why didn't they do that yesterday?

PlanetKiller

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reaaaaaaally doubt that man. If that were the case they would have said so in their announcement article yesterday, however they said console launch exclusive multiple times. That would have changed within hours? And this wouldn't warrant a much bigger announcement? I really believe it does.

Ok but why didn't they do that yesterday?

Well, I don't doubt it. If they lied, a lawsuit could be filed. When you are in an industry, you have to be careful with your wording when you are selling something. This isn't someone selling something on Ebay, this is a company that would be outright lying on their game box. If there is a disclaimer it would need to be near the claim and I don't see a disclaimer, do you?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't doubt it. If they lied, a lawsuit could be filed. When you are in an industry, you have to be careful with your wording when you are selling something. This isn't someone selling something on Ebay, this is a company that would be outright lying on their game box. If there is a disclaimer it would need to be near the claim and I don't see a disclaimer, do you?
They are being careful as hell. It says Console Exclusive for the Game Preview Edition.

And once again:
No

Read this release: https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/31/pu...id=Evergreen_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_10.31.4

"Xbox fans, we know you've been waiting and we're so excited to finally be able to say it – PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is coming to Xbox One as a console launch exclusive through the Xbox Game Preview program on December 12, 2017!"

The Game Preview is exclusive to the Xbox, not the full release.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely reaching into "you're not wrong, you're just an asshole" territory. It's not difficult to read between the lines of how MS is twisting the appearance of exclusivity through vague language. Creating this separate entity "Game Preview Edition" and then applying the exclusive label to that is some slick marketing I'll give them that.

ncgwMFD.png

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

IplayGames4Fun

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
don't know why people really care TBH. it's sad that some people can't enjoy a game unless others cna't play it. i guess some people never quite grew up.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

There have been multiple "only on Xbox" game boxes which ultimately turned out to be timed exclusives. Not this gen, but certainly in the past.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft exclusivity PR is awful barring some deal just went down, which would be equally frustrating, but in a much different context

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If it was an actual lifetime console exclusive MS would have been shouting it from the rooftops, this is some murky PR wording again.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spencer wasn't running things in the past though. It's like blaming him and not Mattrick for the DRM stuff at the reveal.
Spencer was running things with the shit show that was the Rise of the Tomb Raider announcement and subsequent weeks of vague answers (and yes I have seen the box art you posted).

PurestGamer78

Oct 27, 2017
The Preview edition is exclusive which is why it's on the box. It's obvious that has nothing to do with the retail version.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Spencer wasn't running things in the past though. It's like blaming him and not Mattrick for the DRM stuff at the reveal.
I guess my point is that there were no law suits back then, so assuming Microsoft would get spanked for pulling shenanigans now isn't necessarily accurate. Besides, the wording around this is very deliberate.

Who knows if a decision like how to approach full/timed exclusivity is even in Spencer's hands. I have no idea how much autonomy any individual has in the context of a company like Microsoft. Wouldn't surprise me if stuff like marketting is mostly out of his hands.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I guess my point is that there were no law suits back then, so assuming Microsoft would get spanked for pulling shenanigans now isn't necessarily accurate. Besides, the wording around this is very deliberate.

Yea, it's not like Microsoft intentionally shipped hardware that they knew would eventually fail or anything.

Who knows if a decision like how to approach full/timed exclusivity is even in Spencer's hands. I have no idea how much autonomy any individual has in the context of a company like Microsoft. Wouldn't surprise me if stuff like marketting is mostly out of his hands.

He was just made a member of the SLT, so he has quite a large amount of control over the gaming division and MS recognizes its importance to the company thus him being made a member of its SLT.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No, the wording is really clear here. It's exclusive to Xbox One (console) and PC. There is not going to be a PS4 version. Game Preview mode is irrelevant on the exclusiveness part.

I don't know, wording still seems kind of sketch to me. Might be the case and if so damn thats big for MS, but unless they signed a deal not having a ps4 version is leaving a lot of money on the table.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, it's not like Microsoft intentionally shipped hardware that they knew would eventually fail or anything.

He was just made a member of the SLT, so he has quite a large amount of control over the gaming division and MS recognizes its importance to the company thus him being made a member of its SLT.

Oh yeah that was a much bigger deal. But nobody really kicked up a stink about false exclusivity on box art. It definitely is a hotter topic these days so maybe there would be consequences for being blatantly misleading. Just pointing out that it's happened before and led to nothing.

Thanks for the clarification about Spencer's role. Definitely a vote of confidence from Microsoft.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't stop a certain other company claiming Nier and Nioh was exclusive.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Warning - Console Wars posting
Tired of hearing about this game on Xbox now. According to the fan boys this is going to be Xbox one x killer app lol.
How exactly? Game will be lucky if it locks at 30fps.

Suggestions that ms should buy blue hole and the ip. Like Minecraft? Spend another two billion and not recoup the costs?
Well ms are refusing to develop games so throwing money at 3rd parties seems to sort of work?

Anyway great game that's getting spoiled by terrible ms pr.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Tired of hearing about this game on Xbox now. According to the fan boys this is going to be Xbox one x killer app lol.

Suggestions that ms should buy blue hole and the ip. Like Minecraft? Spend another two billion and not recoup the costs?
Well ms are refusing to develop games so throwing money at 3rd parties seems to sort of work?

Feel better?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lol

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has gone so far as to lend actual development help on the game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just footed some extra money to make it exclusive. They'd be stupid not to. That said, it could go either way with this mixed messaging.

I wonder if Fortnight BR could run on the Switch.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
They can say what they wan in their website, we all know it's coming to PS4 eventually.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So PS4 version confirmed, I'm smart enough to see through this pr.
I mean Bluehole is already looking into it:
Thanks.

Here is the actual Bloomberg article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ey-from-welfare-to-world-s-hottest-video-game

"Chang [Byung-gyu, Bluehole founder] says his company has had talks with all of the major console companies about bringing PUBG to a broader audience. Microsoft Corp. will launch the title exclusively on Xbox later this year. Bluehole is in talks with Sony about introducing a version for the PlayStation after that."

Planoxetine

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for this on Xbox. This game will sell consoles for sure.

Be interesting to see how it runs on the X.

My first post by the way - nice forum :)

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clever bit of marketing, surprised people are falling for it for the umpteenth time.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really is kind of sad. I thought with a fresh start at a new forum the MS attitude would be more positive. Its the exact same bullshit.
I am not seeing any negative attitudes towards MS here though, unless you are talking about people calling out the wording. There was that salty Heisenburger post though.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has gone so far as to lend actual development help on the game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just footed some extra money to make it exclusive. They'd be stupid not to. That said, it could go either way with this mixed messaging.

I wonder if Fortnight BR could run on the Switch.

Agreed. If they actually are helping out it would make sense to make it an exclusive unless Bluehole said no and it sure seems like it. MS doesn't seem to mind because as far as we know they are still helping out.

I am not seeing any negative attitudes towards MS here though, unless you are talking about people calling out the wording. There was that salty Heisenburger post though.

Except that post by Heisenburger though. Some of that stuff he said was unneeded and was typically something from the other place.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My bet is console exclusive for the life of the game. Microsoft paid big bucks for it. Helped blue hole with development. Yep, they got this on lock.

I'll eat my hat if it ever comes to ps4. Microsoft paid because they know this will move units. Easier to buy a popular game than develop internally and hope it's a success

SpeedNut

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really is kind of sad. I thought with a fresh start at a new forum the MS attitude would be more positive. Its the exact same bullshit.

A majority of the discussion here is pragmatic, and not "taking sides", not sure where you're getting your bag of chips all smashed up about.

With that said, hopefully it's stable enough of a release that I can get my work friends off of other stuff like COD.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Clever bit of marketing, surprised people are falling for it for the umpteenth time.
Being misleading because you can't tie down full exclusives isn't clever marketing, just makes you look like a joke when it goes elsewhere.

I can't really blame MS or Sony for doing it though, because it usually works out for them, it's the dev team/pub who agreed to let them do it, that lose out usually.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
My 2 cents, Early access edition is exclusive to Xbox, when the game launches out of Early Access it can come to PS4. The move to azure was recent, and probably in the least extended the period, maybe when they come out of EA, MS has a chance to buy full exclusivity. If it sells tons, buy, if not release? I would fully expect this on PS4, not until fall 2018. Player Unknown seems very happy with his partnership with MS.

edit: this is also free publicity, so maybe thats also the reason. and you and me are falling for it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My 2 cents, Early access edition is exclusive to Xbox, when the game launches out of Early Access it can come to PS4. The move to azure was recent, and probably in the least extended the period, maybe when they come out of EA, MS has a chance to buy full exclusivity. If it sells tons, buy, if not release? I would fully expect this on PS4, not until fall 2018. Player Unknown seems very happy with his partnership with MS.
I agree 100% with statham for the bolded. The part about buying full exclusivity would cost a bundle and a half and won't happen because the game is just way to profitable.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

edit: this is also free publicity, so maybe thats also the reason. and you and me are falling for it.
Good to see you here statham, now this really feels like home. And I agree, I have my doubts about that fall 2018 release date (I think it may end up sooner on the PS4) but it's possible.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I agree 100% with statham for the bolded. The part about buying full exclusivity would cost a bundle and a half and won't happen because the game is just way to profitable.
I think it would be a waste of money, but looking back on titanfall? maybe they be crazy to do it again? When the head of MS mentions it, who knows. I think they are waiting to see how big this is on Xbox before fully committing.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My bet is console exclusive for the life of the game. Microsoft paid big bucks for it. Helped blue hole with development. Yep, they got this on lock.

I'll eat my hat if it ever comes to ps4. Microsoft paid because they know this will move units. Easier to buy a popular game than develop internally and hope it's a success
Oh really? Then why not come out and say it? Why make it so confusing when they should be making very clear that this is full on exclusive. They were quick to point it out for Titan Fall why not here?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be a waste of money, but looking back on titanfall? maybe they be crazy to do it again? When the head of MS mentions it, who knows. I think they are waiting to see how big this is on Xbox before fully committing.
I think it would cost much more than Titanfall though and that is where I don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.