• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
this games going to sell like crazy on Xbox. Already preordered mine with best buy gcu for $22. Can't wait to play on my X. It would be wise for MS to lock this as a console exclusive while it's the hottest game atm.

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft needs to cut this crap out. It's either Microsoft exclusive or it's not. It's deceptive and not good for your fans

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't understand your argument as this has already clearly caused confusion by suggesting the game is now a console exclusive, which is how this topic got made and we've had this much back and forth over it.
My argument is that nothing they are saying is deceiving. People being confused and arguing about it doesn't mean what is being said is deceiving. Microsoft have said "PUBG Early Access Edition is an Xbox One Console Exclusive". That is straight forward, not deceiving in any way, and anyone who argues that it is is flat out wrong.

Yes, clearly some people are getting confused on both sides - some saying this means the full game is an exclusive, others saying it means that the Early Access is only timed exclusive - but again, that doesn't mean the statement was deceptive. It more often than not just means that people are trying to twist it to mean something it's not in order to make it fit what they want, which in this case is either "MS ARE THE DEVIL AND LIARS AND DECEPTIVE!" or "SUCK THAT SONY MS GOT PUBG EXCLUSIVE FOREVER!".

The truth, however, is that they just said that this version of the game is Xbox One Console Exclusive, which it is based on every single piece of evidence there is.

Discussing this isn't fanboy spin and I'm glad these topics are cleared up on this new forum, even if you prefer it not be.

I'm not saying discussing this is fanboy spin, I'm saying that lots of the posts in here are fanboy drivel with an obvious Sony bias that aren't really discussing the actual topic, more just bashing MS, which I had hoped was left behind in the great migration.

Last edited:

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Microsoft needs to cut this crap out. It's either Microsoft exclusive or it's not. It's deceptive and not good for your fans

Why are you pointing out Microsoft when it definitely isn't limited to them? And how is it not good for their fans? If anything, it's not good for fans of the competition. Not like that means anything, but still, your post is quite telling.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The WIP version of PUBG is Xbox One Console Exclusive. The complete version of PUBG is coming to all motherfucking platforms ($10 says Switch 2019)!

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
My argument is that nothing they are saying is deceiving. People being confused and arguing about it doesn't mean what is being said is deceiving. Microsoft have said "PUBG Early Access Edition is an Xbox One Console Exclusive". That is straight forward, not deceiving in any way, and anyone who argues that it is is flat out wrong.

Yes, clearly some people are getting confused on both sides - some saying this means the full game is an exclusive, others saying it means that the Early Access is only timed exclusive - but again, that doesn't mean the statement was deceptive. It more often than not just means that people are trying to twist it to mean something it's not in order to make it fit what they want, which in this case is either "MS ARE THE DEVIL AND LIARS AND DECEPTIVE!" or "SUCK THAT SONY MS GOT PUBG EXCLUSIVE FOREVER!".

The truth, however, is that they just said that this version of the game is Xbox One Console Exclusive.
You refer to what has been said and point out it "doesn't mean the statement was deceptive" when this isn't about a statement. It's what we're seeing on a new webpage on Xbox.com.
pubg-exclcapc4sox.png

Think you can see how their material with the use of "console exclusive" might cause confusion and come across as even slightly deceptive.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The truth, however, is that they just said that this version of the game is Xbox One Console Exclusive, which it is based on every single piece of evidence there is.

I'm not saying discussing this is fanboy spin, I'm saying that lots of the posts in here are fanboy drivel with an obvious Sony bias that aren't really discussing the actual topic, more just bashing MS, which I had hoped was left behind in the great migration.

Sorry, what MS is doing is deceptive/misleading/whateveryouwanttocallit. It is trying to portray, while staying within legal boundaries, that the Xbox is the only console that you will ever play this game on. That's not "fanboy drivel" nor is it just bashing MS.

hardseppo

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I hope some gaming outlet (bigger than Gamepur) will pick up the story and force MS into a statement.

If they really would buy the IP it would be a smart move for MS at this time with so few current exclusives.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
So bluehole ported Tera, a MMORPG.
And now they wouldn't know how to port a shooter without Microsoft's help??
about port:
lets say you got 10 manpower, and you already need at least 10 for pc dev. because your game skyrocketed.
for console dev, you need another 10, which you dont have, and its not easy or cheap to find, let alone that you are running hectic for your main proj.

so here comes the console platform holder, offering his team to undertake the work needed for port, also pitching you ideas to help you on your main task, the pc. be it coding enhancements in water, or moving your infrastructure to their azure.
he also says that you can launch in EARLY ACCESS, a slot that really fits the stage of development that you are in right now.
platform holder also offers to do all the publishing too.

try to get into bluehole's shoes for a minute there.. not that difficult.

about exclusivity period:
now, EARLY ACCESS games that appear on xbox, have taken a full year until they appeared on other consoles ( ps4).
and this for games like elite dangerous and ark.

if we are to assume that microsoft would want to extend further than those 12 months exclusivity, which right now I think is GRANTED,
we have to be REASONABLE.
just throwing bags of money to "keep from releasing for one more month", well, imo thats a "strategy" for noobs.
In my opinion, for the exclusivity period to be more than the (quite standard) 12 months, there must be a deal on the table that MUTUALLY BENEFITS BOTH PARTIES IN SPADES.

I havent heard of such a deal, so in my opinion, right now, we are set for a 12 month exclusivity.
of course, there might have been more discussions under the table that we dont know of, but until we do, thats how I see it.

12 months is a significant amount of time for someone who's hot for the game. while for someone not interested, its nothing really.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, what MS is doing is deceptive/misleading/whateveryouwanttocallit. It is trying to portray, while staying within legal boundaries, that the Xbox is the only console that you will ever play this game on. That's not "fanboy drivel" nor is it just bashing MS.

It's really not, it's just marketing. That's all this is.

Seeing so many people getting wound up and actually annoyed by it is as amusing as it is bizarre.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Seeing so many people getting wound up and actually annoyed by it is as amusing as it is bizarre.

PUBG's case doesn't bother me, but to a degree, these kind of marketing are bad and deserve to be called out on; look at the Tomb Raider example I quoted in the last page.

Exclusivity deal happens all the time in this industry. By that nature, so does spin/PR/lalala we can't hear you/etc among other things.

But even within that shady area of misdirection, companies should NEVER EVER LIE.

This isn't the case with PUBG, but outright lies regarding exclusivity happened before last-gen. Last-gen, 2K and EA outright lied to consumers saying that PS3 versions of Mass Effect 2/Bioshock will never happen when 360 had timed exclusivity of those games.

MS got better after getting called out on Tomb Raider, thus them quickly confirming that DR4 was timed-exclusive almost immediately after it was announced, compared to Tomb Raider where there was many months of uncertainty before they confirmed it was timed.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Brendan was pretty clear on the Giant Bomb couch at E3. The game is coming to Xbox first because a) Xbox has an Early Access program and Sony doesn't (unless your Fortnight), and b) MS was willing to help with the port. He's always said the game will come to PS4 whenever it's "done".

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I thought Brendan was pretty clear on the Giant Bomb couch at E3. The game is coming to Xbox first because a) Xbox has an Early Access program and Sony doesn't (unless your Fortnight), and b) MS was willing to help with the port. He's always said the game will come to PS4 whenever it's "done".

There are ongoing speculation that Xbox are trying to expand that deal beyond a "early access timed exclusivity for (x) number of months deal" to either be a longer deal or as lifetime, fueled by the rumoured leak of increased exclusivity duration negotiation + all the major support MS is bringing onto the table to help bring PUBG to Xbox.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Both Sony and MS have really irked me with the exclusivity crap this generation, each one trying to outdo the other with statements or how its worded to make it seems it exclusive to that console.

The early preview is an Xbox exclusive, but what about release? Will it be a timed exclusive or be on PS4 to begin with?

I'm getting it on Xbox One, but this gen has been awful for this. especially the Whole Crash Bandicoot release, Rise of the Tomb Radier and the Destiny timed exclusivity DLC!

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
There are ongoing speculation that Xbox are trying to expand that deal beyond a "early access timed exclusivity for (x) number of months deal" to either be a longer deal or as lifetime, fueled by the rumoured leak of increased exclusivity duration negotiation + all the major support MS is bringing onto the table to help bring PUBG to Xbox.

When you take all that into account it really makes sense that MS would do all they can to extend the duration. I mean they are helping out, means they are spending money to make the game ready for Xbox. Didn't they also help out with Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
by who?

I am wondering, what more can a 2-year or a 3-year exclusivity bring for xbox than a 12 month exclusivity?
And how much is that worth to either party involved.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only when game is in Preview program, it will be exclusive to Xbone. After that, it won't. Bluehole clearly stated it's coming to PS4 even when contract was concluded.

Why is this so hard to understand for someone?

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

By "us." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally don't like that 80% of all PUBG discussions run rampant with buyout speculations but it is what it is.

I am wondering, what more can a 2-year or a 3-year exclusivity bring for xbox than a 12 month exclusivity?
And how much is that worth to either party involved.

If the report of the negotiation to extend the exclusivity is to be believed: right now they have only 3 months of exclusivity since the attempts are to extend the exclusivity till middle of next year or longer.

The difference between 1 year exclusivity or longer is that once you sign a deal that is longer than 18/24/36 months, by that ppint it's so long that you might as well sign a lifetime deal.

And once you have a lifetime deal, marketing can be free to shout from the rooftops that this game is a TRUE EXCLUSIVE.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what they mean is, the demo is Xbox only?

Pretty dishonest and desperate spin.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but that speculation seems driven solely by the fact that the page for the game on Xbox.com say 'Console Exclusive'. Until Bluehole says otherwise I'm gonna stick with what they originally said.

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
If its exclusivity is debatable because of contradictions or lack of confirmation, it means the game is not exclusive. It's the same strategy Sony has been following from some time ago.

Don't expect them to clarify this because there is probably money involved to make it confusing on purpose.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Sony and MS have really irked me with the exclusivity crap this generation, each one trying to outdo the other with statements or how its worded to make it seems it exclusive to that console.

The early preview is an Xbox exclusive, but what about release? Will it be a timed exclusive or be on PS4 to begin with?

I'm getting it on Xbox One, but this gen has been awful for this. especially the Whole Crash Bandicoot release, Rise of the Tomb Radier and the Destiny timed exclusivity DLC!

And the no announcing of Diablo 3 ROS on xbox. That was flat out weird.

And I agree. Exclusive deals are poisonous. I especially hate content exclusivity. I'm looking at you with cold dead eyes, Bungie.

Rise of Tomb Taider was also bullshit, compounded by lingual gymnastics from all parties involved.

And then there's the invention of 'launch exclusive'. Big Xbox fan here but the last E3 was embarrassing.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
This has shades of the Rise Of The Tomb Raider announcement. No bones about it, this is driven through MS's current dire straits in the realm of first party development. They absolutely have to demonstrate their platform is going to have unique content and, right now, a bit of spin is the only way this is achievable. Was PUBG the only title that got any headspace? They're no doubt acutely aware of this fact.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
And the no announcing of Diablo 3 ROS on xbox. That was flat out weird.

And I agree. Exclusive deals are poisonous. I especially hate content exclusivity. I'm looking at you with cold dead eyes, Bungie.

Rise of Tomb Taider was also bullshit, compounded by lingual gymnastics from all parties involved.

And then there's the invention of 'launch exclusive'. Big Xbox fan here but the last E3 was embarrassing.

Yeah that wasn't a good look. I remember Spencer saying there were this many exclusives while most of them really weren't exclusive at all. It sounded like almost all games at their show were only for Xbox like a Halo and Forza, but the majority of them is timed.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys we know how Ms PR is it's almost always deceiptive (Rottr, "Launch exclusives", True 4K lalabel, power of the cloud etc).

And of course they won't talk about the period of exclusivity, almost nobody in the industry does.

As for those saying Sony is equally deceptive is totally false just like someone pointing Ms buying Minecraft being the exception not the norm is also the case about sony being shady about Crash exclusive.
Nioh had a console exclusive tag on its reveal trailer for example and sony often labels either coming first to ps4/timed exclusive or console exclusive or even playstation exclusive when it also come out to ps3 or vita.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The exclusive, console exclusive, launch exclusive, timed exclusive and exclusive exclusive jargon is the most confusing thing in the industry today.

I honestly think it's sad that companies have to play verbiage gymnastics to simply appeal to folks who cry fire and brimstone when an imprecise "exclusive" terminology is used.

I just think that MS/Sony/Nintendo should just stick to the terms, "only on Xbox/PS/Switch", and "launching first on Xbox/PS/Switch".

You know things are getting ridiculous when you need to get a degree just to be able to parse and understand a game's statement of exclusivity... it means we've gone down a particularly silly rabbit hole.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
this games going to sell like crazy on Xbox. Already preordered mine with best buy gcu for $22. Can't wait to play on my X. It would be wise for MS to lock this as a console exclusive while it's the hottest game atm.

It would probably cost Microsoft a huge amount of money to lock PUBG as an Xbox console exclusive. Plus it's kinda asshole-ish to pay third party publishers to not put their games on a competitor's system no matter who does it. The only real exception to that is a case like Bayonetta 2 where the game wouldn't have been made without Nintendo funding it.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
By "us." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally don't like that 80% of all PUBG discussions run rampant with buyout speculations but it is what it is.
yeah, I dont like too. really contributes nothing too.

If the report of the negotiation to extend the exclusivity is to be believed: right now they have only 3 months of exclusivity since the attempts are to extend the exclusivity till middle of next year or longer.

The difference between 1 year exclusivity or longer is that once you sign a deal that is longer than 18/24/36 months, by that ppint it's so long that you might as well sign a lifetime deal.

And once you have a lifetime deal, marketing can be free to shout from the rooftops that this game is a TRUE EXCLUSIVE.
Where is that report? I want to read it if you have a link.

It seems absurd to me to make a deal where you put up the manpower, the publishing, the marketing push, and then your competitor can have his own version just 3 -or even 6- months later.
Plus as I wrote above, we already have an established history of early access xbox games reaching ps4 in not less than a full year later. One would think that if things were to be different for this particular game, they wouldn't be different on their "smaller" side.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It seems absurd to me to make a deal where you put up the manpower, the publishing, the marketing push, and then your competitor can have his own version just 3 -or even 6- months later.
Plus as I wrote above, we already have an established history of early access xbox games reaching ps4 in not less than a full year later. One would think that if things were to be different for this particular game, they wouldn't be different on their "smaller" side.

MS is only publishing this game on their own online platform. Similar to how Sony published Minecraft on PSN.

Equally, PUBG is HUGE. So I would surmise that this gives BlueHole some real negotiating chops in any deal with MS. I would also surmise than any additional help and assistance MS is offering is an advance to sweeten the deal as a means to try to negotiate a longer exclusivity period.

The way I see it, BlueHole holds all of the power here.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Haha - chill out guys. Both MS and Sony has had funny way of marketing in the past.

Personally - if this is console exclusive to the Xbox for some time.. I don't have a problem with it. As long they remove it whenever it comes to the other platform.

Regardless, awesome pickup for MS.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus as I wrote above, we already have an established history of early access xbox games reaching ps4 in not less than a full year later.

Wouldn't that just be the time it takes to get out of early access? because people here are saying Sony doesn't have an early access program.

If PUBG has an official release by the summer it could come to PS4.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Sorry, but has there been an official annoucement of and release date set for a PS4 version of PUBG? If not, how is PUBG not an "Xbox Console Exclusive" until this happens?

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Is it 4k at launch? Or did it say at a later date?

Confusing if so. That's one of the reasons I just spent nearly $700 on the Xbox X

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sorry, but has there been an official annoucement of and release date set for a PS4 version of PUBG? If not, how is PUBG not an "Xbox Console Exclusive" until this happens?

Xbox Console Exclusive is a marketing tag that has been historically reserved and used for games with lifetime exclusivity.

On games like Cuphead, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3.

Not games like ROTR or Dead Rising 4.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I thought it was common knowledge that this title is a console exclusive for xbox only for the preview prgram and when it is complete it will be in other platforms.

But hey, MS loves to spin their messaging in interesting ways and look at us, we are talking for nine pages for something meaningless...

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
MS is only publishing this game on their own online platform. Similar to how Sony published Minecraft on PSN.

Equally, PUBG is HUGE. So I would surmise that this gives BlueHole some real negotiating chops in any deal with MS. I would also surmise than any additional help and assistance MS is offering is an advance to sweeten the deal as a means to try to negotiate a longer exclusivity period.

The way I see it, BlueHole holds all of the power here.
all the power in the negotiation, yes, of course. microsoft can't force them do anything -they can only offer, and things like company buyout I read before are not in the sphere of my logic, unless many more pieces fall into perfect places (for an entire company I mean) than a pubg exclusivity clause.

Wouldn't that just be the time it takes to get out of early access? because people here are saying Sony doesn't have an early access program.

If PUBG has an official release by the summer it could come to PS4.
yes, I'd think that after the game has an official release, and out of xbox game preview program, it would be a matter of doing the port.
but, it will enter game preview in a month, and I already wrote other examples of other games on xbox game preview reaching the ps4

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
ARK:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Dec 2015
Xbox/PS4 full game release: Aug 2017

ELITE DANGEROUS:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Oct 2015
Xbox full game release: Oct 2016
Ps4 full game release: Jun 2017

PUBG:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Dec 2017
Xbox full game release: TBD
Ps4 full game release: TBD

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear this game is a janky unpolished mess? If this is indeed true, there is lots of room for improvement and it won't take long for another to come and eat it's lunch. An educated guess would be that many clones are well under way already.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
ARK:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Dec 2015
Xbox/PS4 full game release: Aug 2017

ELITE DANGEROUS:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Oct 2015
Xbox full game release: Oct 2016
Ps4 full game release: Jun 2017

PUBG:
Xbox game preview exclusive: Dec 2017
Xbox full game release: TBD
Ps4 full game release: TBD
thanks, I think this should make things more clear.

It's typical Microsoft deception.
someone's not taking any time to read

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hear this game is a janky unpolished mess? If this is indeed true, there is lots of room for improvement and it won't take long for another to come and eat it's lunch. An educated guess would be that many clones are well under way already.
Well Fortnite tried, and while numbers are okay, PUBG is still crushing it in active users. Not so easy.

I'm still saying full exclusive. You guys are going off of something MONTHS ago at E3. Microsoft has been wheeling and dealing the last few months to get this locked up. Look at the marketing! It's 100% exclusive!

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is still janky, and the type of game that flourishes on PC, not so much on console imo...It will do well, but I do not see it doing remotely as well on any console.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like an new Era. GAH.

Look, all videogame companies do this, and does it really matter? It's exclusive until it isn't, if you can't bear to do without the game, then buy the system that offers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.