• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 2 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes, 2 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Xbox will have almost 1 XGS game released per month in 2020

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Grounded is from 13 people at Obsidian. You can look forward to a Triple A Obsidian RPG for next gen.
I get that and am looking forward to that. More Outer Worlds or games of a similar style is what I'm hoping for and expecting. The danger from my perspective with them doing a popular style like the survival genre is if it suddenly explode in popularity, so it becomes more profitable to invest in that over their traditional games.

It's like if GTAV fans before release had said they don't want to see multiplayer added to Rockstar's games, because if it's successful it might be the end of single player DLC, due to the microtransactions in the online mode bringing in more money, thus always being more profitable to invest in. Companies can quickly pivot in a new direction if that direction starts making them more money and solely from the perspective of what I personally enjoy, I'd rather not see Obsidian go down that potentially tempting road. If I'd been a fan of Ninja Theory, I'd probably be feeling the same way about Bleeding Edge.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I get that and am looking forward to that. More Outer Worlds or games of a similar style is what I'm hoping for and expecting. The danger from my perspective with them doing a popular style like the survival genre is if it suddenly explode in popularity, so it becomes more profitable to invest in that over their traditional games.

It's like if GTAV fans before release had said they don't want to see multiplayer added to Rockstar's games, because if it's successful it might be the end of single player DLC, due to the microtransactions in the online mode bringing in more money, thus always being more profitable to invest in. Companies can quickly pivot in a new direction if that direction starts making them more money and solely from the perspective of what I personally enjoy, I'd rather not see Obsidian go down that potentially tempting road. If I'd been a fan of Ninja Theory, I'd probably be feeling the same way about Bleeding Edge.
They're not going to completely pivot to an entirely different genre, regardless of how popular the game is imo.

Also with Rockstar, they still delivered a stellar single player campaign in both GTAV and RDR2. So we don't get more single player dlc, it's not the biggest deal.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but market trends will always affect what's being released. But to be honest we are moving to a time in which uniqueness and quality matter more than "traditional" game.

litebrite

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to completely pivot to an entirely different genre, regardless of how popular the game is imo.

Also with Rockstar, they still delivered a stellar single player campaign in both GTAV and RDR2. So we don't get more single player dlc, it's not the biggest deal.
This.

If Grounded becomes hugely popular, Obsidian would just grow bigger as a studio to support that team, but their core focus will be RPG's. From my understanding, Grounded has RPG elements to it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Very few companies are immune to this if presented with enough success, but it's a crowded genre with tons of competition, so the chances of that happening are probably very low.

Sorry but market trends will always affect what's being released.
It will, but that doesn't mean you have to like it or can't hope for things to play out differently :)

stealthyfrog

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019

Microsoft bought Obsidian to make RPGs. If Obsidian suddenly decides all they want to do is make cheap survival games, Microsoft will probably start taking a more heavy-handed approach to managing them.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Great and all, but not quite great?
But they're not third person action adventure games! They clearly don't count.
childish console wars comments and your avatar? Come on try a bit harder.

I’m playing wasteland 2 right now as I’ve seen the trailer for 3. I’m not sure what planet you’re on but that isn’t triple a and it isn’t even a Microsoft game. Ori isn’t triple a either.
You can think a game is triple A all you like in regards to FS2020, but you thinking something doesn’t make it true. There seems to some debate if it is or not.

so as it stands 1 AAA isn’t amazing is it, maybe 2 if you count FS2020

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
childish console wars comments and your avatar? Come on try a bit harder.

I’m playing wasteland 2 right now as I’ve seen the trailer for 3. I’m not sure what planet you’re on but that isn’t triple a and it isn’t even a Microsoft game. Ori isn’t triple a either.
You can think a game is triple A all you like in regards to FS2020, but you thinking something doesn’t make it true. There seems to some debate if it is or not.

so as it stands 1 AAA isn’t amazing is it, maybe 2 if you count FS2020
Aye, at the end of the day it really is just my opinion.

And I'm sorry that I respond to childish comments in a childish way.