• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Grounded is from 13 people at Obsidian. You can look forward to a Triple A Obsidian RPG for next gen.

I get that and am looking forward to that. More Outer Worlds or games of a similar style is what I'm hoping for and expecting. The danger from my perspective with them doing a popular style like the survival genre is if it suddenly explode in popularity, so it becomes more profitable to invest in that over their traditional games.

It's like if GTAV fans before release had said they don't want to see multiplayer added to Rockstar's games, because if it's successful it might be the end of single player DLC, due to the microtransactions in the online mode bringing in more money, thus always being more profitable to invest in. Companies can quickly pivot in a new direction if that direction starts making them more money and solely from the perspective of what I personally enjoy, I'd rather not see Obsidian go down that potentially tempting road. If I'd been a fan of Ninja Theory, I'd probably be feeling the same way about Bleeding Edge.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I get that and am looking forward to that. More Outer Worlds or games of a similar style is what I'm hoping for and expecting. The danger from my perspective with them doing a popular style like the survival genre is if it suddenly explode in popularity, so it becomes more profitable to invest in that over their traditional games.

It's like if GTAV fans before release had said they don't want to see multiplayer added to Rockstar's games, because if it's successful it might be the end of single player DLC, due to the microtransactions in the online mode bringing in more money, thus always being more profitable to invest in. Companies can quickly pivot in a new direction if that direction starts making them more money and solely from the perspective of what I personally enjoy, I'd rather not see Obsidian go down that potentially tempting road. If I'd been a fan of Ninja Theory, I'd probably be feeling the same way about Bleeding Edge.
They're not going to completely pivot to an entirely different genre, regardless of how popular the game is imo.

Also with Rockstar, they still delivered a stellar single player campaign in both GTAV and RDR2. So we don't get more single player dlc, it's not the biggest deal.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but market trends will always affect what's being released. But to be honest we are moving to a time in which uniqueness and quality matter more than "traditional" game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to completely pivot to an entirely different genre, regardless of how popular the game is imo.

Also with Rockstar, they still delivered a stellar single player campaign in both GTAV and RDR2. So we don't get more single player dlc, it's not the biggest deal.

This.

If Grounded becomes hugely popular, Obsidian would just grow bigger as a studio to support that team, but their core focus will be RPG's. From my understanding, Grounded has RPG elements to it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Very few companies are immune to this if presented with enough success, but it's a crowded genre with tons of competition, so the chances of that happening are probably very low.

Sorry but market trends will always affect what's being released.

It will, but that doesn't mean you have to like it or can't hope for things to play out differently :)

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Microsoft bought Obsidian to make RPGs. If Obsidian suddenly decides all they want to do is make cheap survival games, Microsoft will probably start taking a more heavy-handed approach to managing them.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Great and all, but not quite great?
But they're not third person action adventure games! They clearly don't count.

childish console wars comments and your avatar? Come on try a bit harder.

I'm playing wasteland 2 right now as I've seen the trailer for 3. I'm not sure what planet you're on but that isn't triple a and it isn't even a Microsoft game. Ori isn't triple a either.
You can think a game is triple A all you like in regards to FS2020, but you thinking something doesn't make it true. There seems to some debate if it is or not.

so as it stands 1 AAA isn't amazing is it, maybe 2 if you count FS2020

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
childish console wars comments and your avatar? Come on try a bit harder.

I'm playing wasteland 2 right now as I've seen the trailer for 3. I'm not sure what planet you're on but that isn't triple a and it isn't even a Microsoft game. Ori isn't triple a either.
You can think a game is triple A all you like in regards to FS2020, but you thinking something doesn't make it true. There seems to some debate if it is or not.

so as it stands 1 AAA isn't amazing is it, maybe 2 if you count FS2020
Aye, at the end of the day it really is just my opinion.

And I'm sorry that I respond to childish comments in a childish way.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for Grounded. Didn't think I would be, but it's looking and sounding great!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
yeah, unfortunately.

Why unfortunately?

I like it when publishers cater to all kinds of groups. I'm really looking forward to Age of Empires 4, Gears Tactics, Ori and Tell Me Why. Others will probably be looking forward to Hellblade and Halo Infinite.

Others will be hyped for Wasteland 3 or Psychonauts 2. There's something for everyone.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Curious to see how Minecraft Dungeons turns out, their first spinoff, wonder if it will connect with the larger community.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I like the variety they're going for. Big tentpole blockbusters in Halo and Forza, indie darlings in Ori and Tell Me Why, mass-appeal games in Bleeding Edge, Grounded and Minecraft, old school PC-assed PC games in Flight Simulator (GotY contender btw), Wasteland and Age of Empires, some fan pleasing cult appeal games in Psychonauts and Battletoads... considering this is the period where most publishers are winding down in prep for next gen, it's great to see.

I predict at least 3 titles nearing or surpassing a 90 metascore (Halo, Ori & MFS, maybe a Forza).
We both know there is no way in hell that flight sim will win GotY. Racers can't even win GotY and they are more mainstream.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
Why unfortunately?

I like it when publishers cater to all kinds of groups. I'm really looking forward to Age of Empires 4, Gears Tactics, Ori and Tell Me Why. Others will probably be looking forward to Hellblade and Halo Infinite.

Others will be hyped for Wasteland 3 or Psychonauts 2. There's something for everyone.

I miss Silent Hill...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Have you seen anything else about the game other than the initial trailer? That's probably the one game out of Xbox Game Studios I'm not too sure how it's going to turn out.

There was some gameplay videos if you haven't seen that. Imo looks better than the initial trailer, I don't know if its for me tho:

Oct 25, 2017
I love the diversity. I really hope MS continues to make smaller niche games along with AAA games. Gamepass is perfect for that model.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what GamePass is about. In the xboxera discord we've been talking about this. MS has enough games announced right now that they can release 1 game per month next year if they wanted to...especially with knowing that there are more unannounced titles.

Phil's Xbox.

Mind sharing that discord

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Not a lot that pique my interest but I do want to play AOE4...I just don't know if I can play an RTS anymore. Used to be my favourite genre but now maybe I'm too old, they are too stressful. lol.

I can always play the SP I guess.

Glad I can play Infinite on PC.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I see Gaming side is still filled with a bunch of children. Such a massive turn off entering threads.

On topic, I already can't keep up with all the games coming out. My backlog does nothing but grow.

Hoping to get through Fallen Order during the Holidays. Glad to see a lot of games coming, even if I don't get around to half of them.

Oct 1, 2019
That's a really interesting take on things.
Xbox has been laying the groundwork for their next generation for quiet a while now and all I've been seeing are the right stuff. Acquiring, building, and expanding studios, Gamepass, supporting indie developers, investing in 3rd-party exclusives, beefing-up their hardware, and bringing Japanese games on their platform. Microsoft is now committed to their Xbox division more than ever, and it shows.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm in for:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Gears Tactics
Wasteland 3
Tell Me Why
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires III Definitive Edition

Eight games in one year, and they all look like quality games. Keep it up, Phil! Then in the future we already have these announced:

Age of Empires IV
Everwild
Hellblade II: Senua's Saga

Three more games that are all looking fantastic from the small pieces we've seen of them. I count 10 IPs listed above in my wishlist. Numerous more new IPs are on the way, and now that most of the studios are working on XGS-funded projects, I expect even bigger and better things from everyone moving forward. No doubt Forza Horizon 5 will be a ridiculous on the XSX. The Outer Worlds has been a blast so far and I cannot wait to see what the gang at Obsidian does with a bigger budget. This is not the Microsoft of 2012-2018.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This is not a slam or anything, but I do think this is a terrible take. "People shouldn't want or enjoy the things they like, because then they won't get the REALLY GOOD stuff that they just don't know they're supposed to like!!" It's a bit gaming elitist. Gaming trends change, and I think we're seeing the single player narrative focused game pendulum swing back. Great! That doesn't mean that other types of games are bad or not worthwhile. Even when people on this forum (or who listen to gaming podcasts or follow gaming twitter) don't enjoy a genre or type of game, there are probably many, many people who enjoy that type of game outside of these walls. We should not deny them because we have different tastes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Count me in. Will I enjoy them all? Probaby not but I'll be playing them all for free essentially which takes the sting out of a game I may end up not enjoying. Losing out on 2-3 hours is always better than losing out on $60

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about all of them. I wish tactics came to console though l. I really don't understand that decision at all.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
It reminds me to Sony in 2011,they kinda had a exclusive per month, most of them small low profile, eventually they grew to what it is today. MS is on the right path.