• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
www.windowscentral.com

Xbox's new policy — say goodbye to unofficial accessories from November thanks to error '0x82d60002'

Error 0x82d60002 informs players their devices will be blocked

View: https://x.com/brookgamingfans/status/1715337068401021284?s=20

EDIT: SOLVED. So apparently third party controllers not officially authorised by Microsoft get shitcanned after two weeks of plugging in the device?! WTF Microsoft are so strange!!

OP:
So I bought a third party hall effect controller compatible with Xbox Series X/S and I plugged in the wireless dongle and it says come November Microsoft will be blocking "unauthorised accessories". So now I'm returning the controller and my wife is going to open up our current controller and try and fix the stick drift.

I'm quite shocked, are there any wireless controllers officially authorised by Microsoft, 8bitdo seem to do an authorised wired controller and a controller for Xcloud.

I'm used to just being able to plug in most third party controllers for the switch and them working, and to get such a message that in November NO unauthorized accessories will work is a little bit of a shock to the system.

Did anyone else know about this ban? I know some accessories can be used to give competitive advantage in games, but banning all unauthorised accessories is a bit excessive no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
back in the day, third party Dreamcast controllers outputted higher values on the analogue axis than the official controllers
this wouldn't be an issue except for some games (such as Sonic Adventure) just went with the raw inputs when determining player speed, which when you're trying to get online gaming off the ground completely broke the playing field - you had to get a third party controller to compete

I doubt modern game devs use unfiltered controller input in that fashion anymore but it made me think of that story

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It's probably not licensed?

Xbox Support

"This means that one of the accessories you're trying to connect was not manufactured by Microsoft or another licensed Xbox hardware partner."

Well yeah it was a third party controller. But it specifically mentioned that from mid November onwards unauthorised accessories will no longer work on the Xbox Series S and X consoles. I wish I'd taken a screenshot now!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know there were any third party wireless Xbox controllers, could've sworn it was wired or kick rocks.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has been a big thing especially in the FGC the last few days because the current Xbox OS version even says Brook's products are 'unauthorized'. They are the main manufacturer of the PCBs in arcade sticks etc. as well as for adapters similar to 8bitdo to make different controller types usable on newer platforms.

View: https://twitter.com/brookgamingfans/status/1715337068401021284?t=rrTeyBsSwUB_dzrOgdhT-A&s=19

MS fucked something up. Either they didn't communicate well enough with players and manufacturers that they were about to fuck a lot of people over, or they meant to do something else with their firmware which didn't work as intended.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Yeah, this has been a big thing especially in the FGC the last few days because the current Xbox OS version even says Brook's products are 'unauthorized'. They are the main manufacturer of the PCBs in arcade sticks etc. as well as for adapters similar to 8bitdo to make different controller types usable on newer platforms.

View: https://twitter.com/brookgamingfans/status/1715337068401021284?t=rrTeyBsSwUB_dzrOgdhT-A&s=19

MS fucked something up. Either they didn't communicate well enough with players and manufacturers that they were about to fuck a lot of people over, or they meant to do something else with their firmware which didn't work as intended.

This seems like Microsoft fucked up more than anything else.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The key is as mentioned in the Xbox Support post linked above - "not manufactured by Microsoft or another licensed Xbox hardware partner." Third party controllers work fine so long as they're licensed - I have 2 8bitdo controllers that work fine for my Xbox Series S portable setup for example.

Do you have links please? 🥺

I'm just so used to plugging in a dongle in my Switch and it just working 😅

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Not surprised. They've never been willing to license out their wireless technology and they don't want to have companies getting around it, those controllers are super high margin.

Don't agree with it at all though.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Same reason you have to buy special x-box version of wireless headphones I take it?
simpsons-taxes.gif

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
is there precedent for this? i always thought the tried and tested anti 3rd party controller technique was just make first party controllers so unique/complex/fancified that making 3rd party controllers is barely worth it.

Feel like this kinda hardware really got more rare last gen

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

That's actually crazy

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting to see if 8bitdo will release a Xbox version of the hall effect wireless controller they released for Switch last year. I would just get that (I need it for PC which it works with) but I want the Xbox button placement.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
If they want to do this, perhaps they should make some controllers that don't suck? Hall effect needs to be the standard next gen! Complete hogwash that controllers keep getting simultaneously more expensive and less reliable.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
From the same company that doesn't let you use USB microphones unless they are specifically licensed for Xbox.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I use my Brook adapter for a lot on Xbox, but namely to make my arcade sticks and Retro-Bit Sega Saturn controllers work.. This really sucks.

Ah well, likely moving back to my PS5 as primary platform and the Brook FGC adapter does allow my Saturn controller to work there.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I was only looking at the ras1ution steering wheel adapter for the g92 on Xbox the other day - decided the price was too high but gutted for those that bought it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not surprised. They've never been willing to license out their wireless technology and they don't want to have companies getting around it, those controllers are super high margin.

Don't agree with it at all though.

So they actually have but only to Razer and the drawback is that the controller cost like $200 for some reason.

Regardless, not a fan of how Xbox and PS treat wireless controllers. Dunno why it's such an issue to allow options.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
So they actually have but only to Razer and the drawback is that the controller cost like $200 for some reason.

Regardless, not a fan of how Xbox and PS treat wireless controllers. Dunno why it's such an issue to allow options.
Which ones? Because the "Razer Special Edition" controllers they sell like Mando/Boba Fett/Sonic are just OEM controllers inside with shells made/painted by Razer.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Kind of on topic - what's a good choice of wireless controller for a desktop pc with no Bluetooth? I have a wireless Xbox series controller - will one of those cheapo usb bluetooth adapters work decently with no latency?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh FUCK THAT.

I'm seriously going to be livid if my Mayflash Magic X no longer functions as a result of this. Half the reason that Xbox is my main console platform is because there are actually options for input devices. I can actually use controllers with Hall Effect sticks on Xbox, unlike Playstation. If that changes, I'm going to stew.

Has anyone using a Mayflash adapter gotten that notification yet?

Last edited:

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
Just as I was looking at the Wingman XB for my 2D games. I hope this doesn't torpedo my Etokki Omni stick as well.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Really wish someone would take on Sony and Microsoft over this controller stuff. Sometimes you just want a cheaper controller, even if it's a bit worse. Or in OP's case, actually better products.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell no.

Don't fuck with Brook.

Brook adapters and the ability to use all my old controllers are one of the main reasons I use Xbox more than PS. Not just for fighting games either.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am a controller fiend - there have been years where I've spent more on cool and exotic input devices than I spent on games - and this has got me seriously twisting in my seat. Guess it's time to pull the trigger on a XiM Matrix.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I feel like it's worse that they let you use it for 2 weeks than not letting you use it all, since that could prevent people from being able to get refunds on controllers that they can't use.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing unintentional about this. That support article makes it pretty clear they just are straight up banning your device for not being licensed two weeks after detecting it.

I have so much Brook stuff that's not gonna work now with all my old controllers. I have adapters to use old official Xbox 360 sticks and pads, PS2 contollers, PS3/4 pads and sticks. I'm so pissed.