• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's corporate vice president Mike Ybarra has responded to Yoshida's comments via Twitter, maintaining the platform holder's stance on cross-play between platforms.

Responding to a Twitter reply later, he added: "Larger gaming audience who wants to play together. Gaming is diverse, if you only serve to bring joy to part of an audience then you are behind in many, many ways."

Microsoft has been banging the cross-play drum fairly hard since E3 after Fortnite connected the audiences on Xbox and Switch. The two platform holders even launched a joint marketing campaign to demonstrate this.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...because-playstation-is-the-best-place-to-play

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sucks, but Sony has their heels dug in and I don't see them budging on this issue no matter how much we complain.

FlyStarJay

Jan 7, 2018
i am now even more curious, why do they want cross play so bad, if MS are truly for the gamers, there are other things they could do, let them focus on themselves and stop poking nose

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to take pressure from customers and from the industry to make it happen, glad to see the encouragement on both sides.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
i am now even more curious, why do they want cross play so bad, if MS are truly for the gamers, there are other things they could do, let them focus on themselves and stop poking nose

Because it's a business opportunity for MS and a danger for Sony.

And because it's a good thing, let's not forget that. They've been pushing consumer minded things this whole generation.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
i am now even more curious, why do they want cross play so bad
Because it's something Sony doesn't have with other consoles? They have to talk up their advantages, no matter how small they are sometimes (UHD blu-ray player, etc).
From where I'm sitting it seems that Microsoft want this more than a lot of people who game on Sony platforms.
And yeah, this too. But again, they have to talk about something positive they have going :/

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still baffled that 3rd parties give the platform holders the right to do this with their account systems, especially locking the account to their platforms in the case of Fortnite.

When a Playstation user plays with a PC user, it is on the PC server ran by/for the 3rd party.

For Sony it makes sense, Switch largely isn't getting Final Fantasy 14 because of this reason for instance. Cross play also nulls the advantage of walled gardens like XBlive and PSN, if your friends can play on their platforms of choice and you can still play with them, it doesn't force you to buy their platform of choice, so again this is more about Sony holding their position, which in the short term makes a lot of sense, but with a new generation starting, the more savvy people, (lots of early adopters) might be looking at this as a deciding factor.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it would remove their competitive disadvantage for having a smaller playerbase and Microsoft's interest is purely for the gamers.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
MS putting on pressure, because its a good for them beeing perceived they are for the gamers. They lost alot of that the last years. I like it when they take shots at each other, its good for me as a consumer.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I hope Sony get taken down a peg or two next gen. They severely need a wake up call.

But if Xbox finds themselves back on top, will they change their tune just like Sony did this gen? I'd like to think Phil Spencer is a cooler dude than that, but who knows.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
His tweets are critical yet respectful. Hopefully the subsequent discourse will also be in that vein.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a business opportunity for MS and a danger for Sony.

And because it's a good thing, let's not forget that. They've been pushing consumer minded things this whole generation.
It really is a complete and total 180 from where we were at last gen. I'm a Sony kid and have been for a while, but credit where credit is due.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed. I'm glad he says that ALL game should be cross play with cross progression.

Just you watch- Sony will reverse this policy in time- its just trying to be greedy for as long as possible this gen. Either just before the end of this gen or the start of next gen, Sony will have no choice but to see the light. I cannot wait for that to happen. No more barriers- we will all soon be able to play with each other irrespective of platform and cross platform party chat and I cant wait till cross game chat will become the norm.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From where I'm sitting it seems that Microsoft want this more than a lot of people who game on Sony platforms.

Those who game on Sony's platforms and don't like it have the option to switch to one that does have crossplay.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's fits their business model and benefits them the most. Whether it's right or wrong we know why he's commenting on it but he should stay out of it.

Sony is bringing the games I could careless about cross play.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well Microsoft could set an example and start listening to the gamers.

So where are the games and when will F2P games actually be F2P on Xbox?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are much more important things Sony needs to do first like a refund on a digital purchase within 2 hours .or removing the stupid regional save locks which makes some physical game saves incompatible with digital game of different region .

For me as a PS user , cross play is at the end of list .but I understand why MS is more interested in it than me

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Right now the cross-play issue is a positive for Microsoft and a negative for Sony. Sony has plenty of positives on the gaming front so they seem to be pretty dismissive about the singular issue of cross-play functionality. Microsoft on the other hand doesnt really have a whole lot to be screaming from the rooftops when it comes to gaming so they will continue to beat this drum to fan the flames of gamer loyalty. Its really nothing more or less than that.

For me personally I dont really care about cross-play, I do care however about cross-progression, that part is actually straight up bullshit and what I wish gamers would push more for instead of focusing so much on the cross-play aspect as I think the progression issue affects a lot more gamers than cross-play.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
MS sure are trying to be on the correct side but Xbox Live has been a requirement to play FREE TO PLAY games on Xbox Since 2012.

So they have 6 YEARS of not listening on their side.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Those who game on Sony's platforms and don't like it have the option to switch to one that does have crossplay.

They use this as marketing nothing else but :

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still baffled that 3rd parties give the platform holders the right to do this with their account systems, especially locking the account to their platforms in the case of Fortnite.
What baffle me is that no one ever ask Epic about this. When Rockstar, 2K, Blizzard, Square Enix, Ubisoft let you link your account from multiple platforms, check progression for each and sometimes share bonus earned on another one.

Crossplay is entirely on Sony shoulders - so the blame. But how could they have any prerogatives on Epic subscriptions system and accounts management ?

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?

Why do you want them to stop pushing for a feature that benefits us all as gamers?

We need people to keep the pressure on Sony otherwise they are free to keep the stance they have currently taken. If we all stop and simply let it go, nothing will ever change. Even if we keep at it, nothing may ever change but at least we aren't giving it to them freely.

To actually answer your question though, this is prohibited speak. Microsoft wants the good will of the population, they want the headlines so that when someone goes to buy a new console, they might stop and say hey, on a Xbox I can play with my friend who has a switch, I'll get that over a ps4. It's all about that.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, this is probably my highest priority when it comes to Sony fixes right now. It wont make or break whether I game with Sony in the future on it's own, but most of my friends from out of state play xbox and itd be great to play with them.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, time for another wonderful crossplay thread.

Glad he's applying some pressure atleast.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Can I just point out that this is a silly thing to say. The whole point is everyone being able to play with friends regardless of the platform they own. If the answer is "pick a platform that supports this" that defeats the whole entire point of the crossplay initiative in the first place.

I have no idea why people try to be so corporate. Crossplay all round would be a superb thing for every gamer, those who don't care won't in any way be affected at all. It will help smaller devs out and give those less populated games a chance to thrive.

The fact that such nonsensical arguments are trotted out trying to somehow twist an argument that extra options are "bad" is really just embarrassing for gamers as a whole.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to me like Mike needs to worry more about his own brand and the fact they lock F2P titles like Fortnite behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall. How's that for listening to the players Mike?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The latter of which is against EU consumer law as well
Indeed. Between lack of cross-play, lack of any BC whatsoever (you have to buy your PS2 games again), and lack of PS Store refunds without a CS nightmare, Sony can hardly be called 'pro-consumer' this generation sadly. But they make great games, obviously. So they get a free pass most of the time as a result. But the pressure is mounting on all three fronts for the next generation.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Yes but see, those are topics not hot in the media and among gamers right now. It's also not something their direct competitor is looking poorly, so no point in jumping on that.

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Some employee of one greedy company telling something bad about another greedy company (which is also the main competitor). Nothing to see here, really.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Microsoft trying to get their shots in before the news cycle is being drown out by Spider-Man reviews/sales at the end of the week.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As long as it's not costing Sony money they will hold firm, then they'll change their mind when they need a huge PR win

Cross play isn't something I deeply care about but it's 2018, it should be something available on all consoles by now

Aug 29, 2018
The campaign against Sony is going to be hostile and effective if they are going to be stubborn going into next gen without crossplay or backwards compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.