• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): creating an inflammatory platform warring thread + recent bans for platform warring and creating troll threads
With the next generation of consoles quickly approaching this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I want to preface by stating that this is not a console warring thread and I am not implying or insinuating that anyone on this forum that is an Xbox fan is xenophobic.

There has always been this air to Xbox that it's an American console for Americans first. It is easy to just dismiss that by looking at Xbox's failure to really expand outside of the US, Canada, and the UK. I think, however, it goes deeper than that.

This part is anecdotal so bear with me but I remember during my school days back when the original Xbox was new that it was par for the course for owners of the Xbox to hold it above the GameCube and PlayStation 2 for not being a "dumb Japanese console" and being American made. This was particularly prevalent in the wake of 9/11 and the dumb urban legend that Iraq had bought thousands of PS2 to use in guided missiles.

Beyond that this rhetoric actually started within the development team of the original Xbox. During development the original Xbox was codenamed "Midway" in reference to the Battle of Midway where the US gave Japan a decisive defeat for the first time in World War II.
As the PS 2 worries spread, the musketeers decided to create their own console, based on DirectX. The secret, politically incorrect code name was Midway, cleverly named after the World War II battle where the Americans finally kicked the asses of the Japanese.

The making of the Xbox: How Microsoft unleashed a video game revolution (part 1)

The Four Musketeers At Microsoft, fear also bubbled up from the bottom. The four ringleaders identified by Microsoft as the founders of the Xbox were Kevin Bachus, Seamus Blackley (pictured right), Otto Berkes and Ted Hase. They banded together to push the idea of a Microsoft game console based...

The entire Xbox endeavor was created because of Microsoft's fears of Sony overtaking them in the PC hardware space, which was part of a larger cultural xenophobia leftover from the "Japanese Economic Miracle".

Now how does all of that relate to now? Well to be frank the idea of Xbox being superior because its American never really went away. Fanboys back in the 360 generation when the PlayStation was on the defense were openly racist and met with little opposition from the Xbox team. In particular Xbox Live has a history of racist issues baked into its service.

The failure of Microsoft to take racism seriously is a slap in the face of minority gamers who fail to conform to the White male norm. What occurs in Xbox Live is linguistic profiling based on how one sounds within the space. Similar to racial profiling, linguistic profiling occurs when auditory cues as opposed to visual cues are used to speculate on the racial background of another person. Based on how they sound, they experience constant harassment, verbal abuse, and racism. This linguistic profiling occurs on a daily basis and has led to the virtual ghettoization of marginalized gamers in Xbox.
www.racismreview.com

Black Gamers Don't Matter in Xbox Live -

Dr. Kishonna Gray writes analyzes the gaming system Xbox and finds that Black gamers don't matter there.

While the Xbox team has gotten better at handling this overt stuff, community leaders in the Xbox fandom (YouTubers/Streamers/etc) frequently dogwhistle xenophobic rhetoric and still get the backing and support of the Xbox team.

I also feel like that there is this large overlap between the directionless young white men who get swept up in Trumpism and white nationalism and the most hardcore Xbox fanboys. The rhetoric of power, superiority, masculinity, unapologetic smugness is prevalent throughout all of it.

I don't know how long this thread will last, I debated even making it, but I thought it was worth discussing.

And again I want to reiterate that this is not meant to be console warring, this is just an examination of Xbox's xenophobia problem because they are in the limelight now. Sony, Nintendo, and Steam all have their own problematic issues that need addressed.

As well I also want to reiterate that I do not believe that anyone here who is an Xbox fan is a xenophobe.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360 sold VERY well in Europe.

So... no, i guess the whole premix of this thread is a bit wrong.

I'm not sure I totally buy the premise of the thread but, dude, europe and america aligned in xenophobia towards asia africa and the middle east is not exactly a new idea...

Oct 26, 2017
While the Xbox team has gotten better at handling this overt stuff, community leaders in the Xbox fandom (YouTubers/Streamers/etc) frequently dogwhistle xenophobic rhetoric and still get the backing and support of the Xbox team.

Source for this.

I also feel like that there is this large overlap between the directionless young white men who get swept up in Trumpism and white nationalism and the most hardcore Xbox fanboys. The rhetoric of power, superiority, masculinity, unapologetic smugness is prevalent throughout all of it.

Is this a troll thread?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its honestly why i never bought an xbox, i don't want to have any part in this stuff

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"I also feel like that there is this large overlap between the directionless young white men who get swept up in Trumpism and white nationalism and the most hardcore Xbox fanboys."

Wat

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also paw Patrol has indoctrinated our children that capatilism is good when it clearly isn't.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This thread was not made in good faith and breaks our guidelines with regards to platform warring.

Status
Not open for further replies.