• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We don't know the actual context in which "actual gamers" was used. If it's Timdog level of fanboyism then it's warranted. If some fanboys wanted to discredit my profession because of a score they odn't like I would laugh at the term "actual gamers" as well.

Also where are all those "actual critics" who enjoyed it? Someof them? Sure, "plenty"? I don't think so. It's hilarious anyway that these people go up in arms over goddamn Lucky's Tale.

This might sound like console warz but if there's no other exclusive to rally around at the moment then this has to do I guess.
We do know the context.
dhWKVUx.png

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people that think people that buy a game actually play the game before rating them on the store, Crackdown 3 has 3000+ ratings and is rated at 5 stars already. Super Lucky's Tale only has 70 ratings.

Ryan isn't wrong in his assessment that a lot of people will rate a game highly on the store even if they haven't played it so using the argument that "actual gamers" probably haven't played the game is probably more right than wrong..

LOL!!!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's an implicit assumption with reviews that the reader has a brain. The reviewer is making a case, and saying not to buy the game may be the conclusion, but I don't think anyone expects you to fall in line with the reviewer 100% of the time. You're going to hear the thing out and consider it yourself.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the same goes for reviewers. If you release a review (or any kind of article, really), you have to accept that some people will like it and some won't.

There's a big difference between not liking it, and calling someone "paid so called journalist" and outright discrediting the review.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
And the same goes for reviewers. If you release a review (or any kind of article, really), you have to accept that some people will like it and some won't.
There's a fine line between the average person not liking your review vs someone at a high position of a company calling someone out specifically, especially when these people know they have zealots following them on twitter

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between not liking it, and calling someone "paid so called journalist" and outright discrediting the review.

Of course. And most people can separate their opinions from the personal attacks. But unfortunately we live in a very polarizing time. It's very much "if you're not with me, you're against me."

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
We don't know the actual context in which "actual gamers" was used. If it's Timdog level of fanboyism then it's warranted. If some fanboys wanted to discredit my profession because of a score they odn't like I would laugh at the term "actual gamers" as well.

Also where are all those "actual critics" who enjoyed it? Someof them? Sure, "plenty"? I don't think so. It's hilarious anyway that these people go up in arms over goddamn Lucky's Tale.

Fanboys will be fanboys. The only viable solution is to ignore them.

Personally, I find fanboys harder to ignore when they bash a game or platform. When they defend it? Eh, that's what fans do really.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SLT is a children's game and McCaffrey reviewed it as if he was the target audience.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, does she not understand how criticism works? Maybe they should have made a better game...
she said he made good points in the review.

I really don't think her comments were aimed at his review but more towards the metacritic comment and the comment about the xbox live store.

i think that's a big distinction.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For people that think people that buy a game actually play the game before rating them on the store, Crackdown 3 has 3000+ ratings and is rated at 5 stars already. Super Lucky's Tale only has 70 ratings.

Ryan isn't wrong in his assessment that a lot of people will rate a game highly on the store even if they haven't played it so using the argument that "actual gamers" probably haven't played the game is probably more right than wrong..
That's hilarious and sad. Console warriors man...

Fanboys will be fanboys. The only viable solution is to ignore them.

Personally, I find fanboys harder to ignore when they bash a game or platform. When they defend it? Eh, that's what fans do really.
The problem that occurs then is seeing everyone who says something against a game or platform as a fanboy of something else. Criticism is something normal. That defense above is just bullshit. Saying for example Xbox has a problem with it's first party branch atm is not fanboyish, it's simple criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I sort of get what she's saying, she's ok with the negative review but she doesn't like that he keeps dissing the game. Like you didn't like the game, move on? Still not a good look though.

Wait, so he's actually getting flack for the negative review? Didn't the game bomb critically overall anyways? It's not like the game got a 90 meta but he gave it a 6 or w/e. That's dumb.

His job IS to give an opinion though. How many reviewers have been trashing Sonic Forces and have pretty much told you to steer clear of it? This is the same thing.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
What? No. It's the other way around, someone(s) discredited his review because the game has very positive score in XBL store by "actual gamers".
It's kind of a 'you slam me, I slam them' thing. They said his opinion wasn't everyone's because the store score was higher, he said the store score doesn't matter because you don't have to own it to review it and that actual reviewers didn't like it...ignoring that he was responding to a thread about a review from a 'real critic' that did, indeed, like it.

Ryan really needs to learn to ignore or mute the people who go after him on Twitter. He continually feeds it by responding and complaining, then moans about how bad it gets.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since many asked for it, here's smaller Tim dog -free screenshot

xYfPaWM.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Is there not (or was) a review site that actually scores games as Buy/ Dont Buy?

And that's perfectly valid. The reviewer is saying "I can't personally recommend that you buy this game", but in the end it's up to you to decide whether you still want the game or not. Even if this had been the case, which it wasn't, Loftis's reaction was way out line. It's completely unprofessional to call out a reviewer because his bad review can potentially lead to fewer sales of your product.

It's also ironic that Loftis called him out on his review, when his review was "calling out" the game for its mediocrity. If you can't take them, don't deal them. Just take the negative review and work to improve your game.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention when the head of the brand does stuff like this. It emboldens and enables some oft he members that are more toxic in the fanbase to attack the journalist.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tim Dog a different person than Timedog? I've been screwed up by similar situations before.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Twitter is a scary place! Those insane Xbox fans like Tim Dog and Crap Gamer get a ton of attention from the Xbox executives, though, which is even grosser IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.