• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
47x22r5.jpg

Xcloud datacenter map
VzQnsce.jpg

Will update
The devs can customize the layout
Yq0Mn25.jpg

Developers can also use custom icons for buttons

Example of custom icons/controls:

Example UI:
CCvSIZx.jpg

uiuVBHV.jpg

Matchmake players using Xcloud/using same datacenter

Other:
-Xbox devkit/sdk updated for game streaming
-Controller layouts can swap depending on player actions
-controls can be hidden by developers at anytime (for cutscenes, etc.)
-Devs don't need to modify their code.

It begins:
RAEDzhy.jpg

Testing now and bringing it to developers soon

Last edited:

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making an assumption that the second pic shows where the layout of the buttons are. In reality, we wouldn't see them when playing a game. If that is the case, is the placement intuitive enough to easily learning for gaming on the go?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making an assumption that the second pic shows where the layout of the buttons are. In reality, we wouldn't see them when playing a game. If that is the case, is the placement intuitive enough to easily learning for gaming on the go?
At the least, hopefully opacity settings. I'd like to know where the 'buttons' are without it obscuring too much of the game image.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

No, this means every game can change the location (and amount) of buttons as they want.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda worried they've only been focusing around mobile phones with XCloud.

Tryna see some implementations in low-powered laptops/TV's shit like that.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
those forza controls are like...kinda brilliant?

just get rid of everything but steering basically, smart

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I think you'll see them while playing the game. And you'll want to see them.

From my time with the PS remote play app... it's really hard to 'learn' placement in a touch interface alone, unfortunately. The lack of a tactile presence really makes it difficult to hit the right spots without looking and seeing what you're hitting.

That app actually fades the interface out after a short time of inactivity, but this only makes it more difficult to immediately hit a correct input if your fingers are off the screen for more than a second or two.

Maybe with more practice it would get easier, but these kinds of touch interfaces are really a last resort IMO. Customisation and options help though.

Was there any indication at this panel that controllers would be optionally supported on mobile?

Oct 27, 2017
Man that data center map looks really... insulating for lack of a better word. Germany has like 4 data centers while 80% of the world is barely covered. If that's indicative of the distribution of data centers for other services and games it really put's to perspective how limited the gaming community basically is.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Man that data center map looks really... insulating for lack of a better word. Germany has like 4 data centers while 80% of the world is barely covered. If that's indicative of the distribution of data centers for other services and games it really put's to perspective how limited the gaming community basically is.

I don't think it's just gaming services, I'd imagine most cloud stuff looks similar to that.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Custom mapping for devs is huge. It's better than the default controller setup PS remote play has on mobile.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Iirc, on average a MS data center on costs around a billion dollars to build, they are enormous, that San Paulo one is probably big enough to provide coverage for not just south Brazil but also some of the neighbouring countries.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
/looks at Texas map

Whew looks like I'm good. I can't tell, is that Texas spot Austin or San Antonio? Fairly certain it is San Antonio.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've never used "digital controls" before and this just looks so awkward and cumbersome to me. Maybe it'll make sense once I try it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I wasn't a fan of the thought of using touch controls to play AAA games on mobile, but this changed my mind. Having custom controls for different games and different layouts for different activities makes a lot of sense.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I've never used "digital controls" before and this just looks so awkward and cumbersome to me. Maybe it'll make sense once I try it.
my nephews use them, I have no idea how. I am going to need a controller for this. hopefully any usb / bluetooth android controller works. at the very least I am hoping Microsoft puts out a controller designed for mobile.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, that datacenter map is literally just a copy-paste of the Azure data map.

The initial rollout probably won't be to all those regions, but if your country is in the initial rollout, you won't necessarily have to be very near a DC itself to be able to use it. While there is a relationship between the two, your network locality and geographic locality aren't necessarily 1:1. There are links between those DCs and other access points and internet exchanges that can bring you 'closer' even if the server itself is not right next to you. I've streamed games OK from servers hundreds of km away.

Also, an azure region is a logical 'idea' - a region can map to multiple dcs that are a little more spread out than they appear on that map.

(On the other hand, of course, don't take that to mean you'll get good access from anywhere. There's a limit.)

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Man MS has really created an amazing system for Devs to use XCloud with their games. Excited to see what they have to show us at E3! :)

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully that Brazilian server will work for Chile unlike Google who just completely skipped Latin America

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Here is Google's data center locations for comparison:

google-cloud-data-center-locations-19.png

https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html
Not just South America, that datacenter map is terrible for lots of places, MS isn't even close to be competitive in this space yet, this is the Xbox One tier 1-3 launch crap yet again. Good thing they aren't dropping the hardware space yet.
Where does that leave Google then!?