• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
And now to furiously check my email for hours only to realize they only invited 100 people or something.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
And now to furiously check my email for hours only to realize they only invited 100 people or something.

I'm not even going to bother. I know I'm not in the initial wave. I am excited to try this out though. Mostly because I'd love it to use during my lunch break at work. I had been using the Xbox app and port forwarding to remote stream my Xbox but the latest update to Windows killed that. I'm guessing to make way for xCloud remote play, but I was pretty bummed, and I hope remote play comes back soon. My home upload speeds are pretty slow though so if streaming from the servers works well then not even have to use my console at home would be pretty cool.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So..I just opened the app and logged in, and it worked..sadly I don't have my Bluetooth controller with me at the moment so it won't let me launch a game without one connected...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Check the app on your phone. I haven't received anything from MS but I have access to the games in the app.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I opened the Xbox Game Streaming app first thing when I saw Brad Rossetti of the Preview Program tease the launch rather than checking my email to see if I had an invite, and apparently I'm part of this wave.

I tried Halo 5 and Sea of Thieves on moderately reliable 4G cell service and 5GHz wifi. Games were unplayable due to a massive delay on 4G, but on wifi it was acceptable enough for casual play - could totally see myself doing some lazy "LAN" SoT with this if I'm over someone's place that doesn't have a data cap.

So what's the definitive controller clip atm? Kinda interested in seeing if Xbox provides a first party solution tho.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I opened the Xbox Game Streaming app first thing when I saw Brad Rossetti of the Preview Program tease the launch rather than checking my email to see if I had an invite, and apparently I'm part of this wave.

I tried Halo 5 and Sea of Thieves on moderately reliable 4G cell service and 5GHz wifi. Games were unplayable due to a massive delay on 4G, but on wifi it was acceptable enough for casual play - could totally see myself doing some lazy "LAN" SoT with this if I'm over someone's place that doesn't have a data cap.

So what's the definitive controller clip atm? Kinda interested in seeing if Xbox provides a first party solution tho.

Just curious, were you doing the console streaming or xcloud?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Those who got in, please post your:

- device model

Should give us an idea of what MS is targeting first. Eg I suspect in the UK only Vodafone users will be in the initial wave.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Just curious, were you doing the console streaming or xcloud?
xCloud. I'm playing Killer Instinct which I don't have installed on either of my two Xbox consoles, and neither does my SO whose Xbox is my "home console", so surely xCloud. Console streaming isn't being tested publicly yet, I don't think.
Those who got in, please post your:

- device model
Central NJ, USA
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S9.

Question to those who have the console SoT load times ingrained in their head: Is it just me, or does SoT on xCloud load faster than on consoles Xbox One/S/X? Even if xCloud is utilizing Xbox One S-tier strength (if I recall correctly, and that's still the plan and what's being employed atm), is Microsoft potentially using faster drives? Good call if so.

I'd time it myself, but I'm getting error messages now whenever I attempt to start a new session. Possible I'm just mistaken since I was only half paying attention while SoT loaded.

Microsoft would be smart to make both the "streaming setup" before the game launches quicker (hopefully that's just a case of optimization) and to actually carve the studio and engine cards off of the start of games if it's not masking loading, just putting whatever mandatory acknowledgements on the menu screen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
xCloud. I'm playing Killer Instinct which I don't have installed on either of my two Xbox consoles, and neither does my SO whose Xbox is my "home console", so surely xCloud. Console streaming isn't being tested publicly yet, I don't think.

Central NJ, USA
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S9.

Question to those who have the console SoT load times ingrained in their head: Is it just me, or does SoT on xCloud load faster than on consoles Xbox One/S/X? Even if xCloud is utilizing Xbox One S-tier strength (if I recall correctly, and that's still the plan and what's being employed atm), is Microsoft potentially using faster drives? Good call if so.

I'd time it myself, but I'm getting error messages now whenever I attempt to start a new session. Possible I'm just mistaken since I was only half paying attention while SoT loaded.

Microsoft would be smart to make both the "streaming setup" before the game launches quicker (hopefully that's just a case of optimization) and to actually carve the studio and engine cards off of the start of games if it's not masking loading, just putting whatever mandatory acknowledgements on the menu screen.
xCloud does the whole set up thing before the game starts too? PSNow has a painful wait at the start just to get going, almost like you're waiting for the cloud console to boot up or something, would be a shame if xCloud is similar and will give Stadia a massive leg up with their instant start. Probably the downside of going the console cloud route instead of dedicated machine. Although Scarlett might be a game changer there.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have iOS so I'm not there yet, but I am super interested in hearing yalls impressions!

xCloud sounds like a legit game changer

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting tidbits from an Xbox post on Reddit.

• When you start streaming in the Project xCloud (Preview), you will be signed out of your console.

• For the best experience we recommend using a phone controller clip. You can go to many online retailers to find one. Xbox and PowerA are also working together on a new clip that will be available for pre-order soon.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Central NJ, USA
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S9.

Gotcha. How was Killer Instinct? Of all the available games, that one seemed the most likely to be difficult to play when streaming.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I was able to sign into the app, but when I do I can only choose between "Project xCloud" and "Stream from your Xbox One" and neither does anything but let me view information about them. Which is either because I don't have a controller with me hooked up, or because I'm not accepted

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Managed to pair a bluetooth controller pretty easily and booted up Killer Instinct.

The mobile signal in my living room is pretty poor so the quality wasnt great. Also my broadband is down so unable to test on that.

I'll be away from home tomorrow so will be able to fully test things out then.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gotcha. How was Killer Instinct? Of all the available games, that one seemed the most likely to be difficult to play when streaming.
I'm not gonna be much of a reporter on that one here, since I only did the title screen for KI and Gears 5, unlike testing the gameplay of Halo 5 and SoT. I'm probably not touching this again until I have a controller clip and find myself in a SoT "LAN" experience, if my friend's wifi allows for it.

However, I did find a console streaming toggle in the menu - it's still just a placeholder. I could see myself using console streaming often for daily logins and slower console games with grinding.
xCloud does the whole set up thing before the game starts too? PSNow has a painful wait at the start just to get going, almost like you're waiting for the cloud console to boot up or something, would be a shame if xCloud is similar and will give Stadia a massive leg up with their instant start. Probably the downside of going the console cloud route instead of dedicated machine. Although Scarlett might be a game changer there.
Yeah, there's a streaming setup screen, and at least for me within this first hour of the public test it felt lengthy.

Without the touch screen controls atm, this prob ain't competing with native mobile games that you can jump in and out of fast, but I'm sure Xbox wants to compete with those at some point, and a minute(s) of establishing the stream > game boot screen > and then loading into gameplay is gonna limit when this is played. I hope Microsoft updates their first party games to get into gameplay as quickly as possible even before xCloud is based on Scarlett.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Can people make some screens of the app itself and games etc. Would like to see the visual language used.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can download app, have controller attached but nothing. Probably did not get in.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
I got in, but can't test until later today when I have a controller available.

Samsung Galaxy S10+
T-Mobile
Las Vegas

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can people make some screens of the app itself and games etc. Would like to see the visual language used.
Here ya go! I edited out my gamertag.

48900050357_664745be84_d.jpg

48900050357_664745be84_d.jpg

*edit one picture still had my GT :p Although I don't think there is any NDA, just rather not post it.

Last edited:

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I am curious what their pricing will be. Console streaming will be my go to more than Xcloud so I get the best of both.

Hopefully preview for that opens soon (I am an insider).