• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are confused after they are confronted with Xenoblade's battle system and the OT thread is filled with people who ask questions about it. As the whole system itself is pretty complex and deep, it offers a lot of potential to discuss. And so I decided to follow Kadin's suggestion to open a thread about it.

I have been playing the game for approximately 40 hours, these instructions/descriptions are based on my knowledge and experience that I have collected up to now. If you need something explained in further detail, want to correct something or contribute more to it (I am still trying to solve the the puzzle why the narrator never calls out a blade combo level 2 or level 4!) feel free to!

While the OP is focused on advanced battle mechanics, feel free to ask any combat related questions here even beginner. We will try to help you best we can!

988291DQZwE9V4AI8Yho.jpg

User Interface explained:
1) Auto Attacks
2) Driver Arts
3) Special Attack/Elemental Attack
4) Blade Combo Tree
5) Chain Attack

specialattacksst2kv8.png
by tonyh24613

Special attacks (element attack) have 4 levels, for the first 3 levels the gauge are eight-fold, you can build them up by using driver arts or pouch items. After level 3, special gauge will auto charge to level 4 when the link between driver and blade are glowing and drivers stand close enough to the blade. Will drop back to level 3 if the link break or the blade is switched.

xenobannerbladexsrwh.png

There is a "tree" to the right which gives you two possible elemental routes. You start from the left to the right.
After you cast the first special attack (A button), a colored gauge appears on the top right of the monster's name. It'll deplete pretty quickly at the beginning (later in the game there will be means to slow the process).

bladetree246yxj.png

If you cast another special attack before the colored gauge at the top right depletes (be aware that the special attacks must be at least level 2 indicated by the (II) symbol.) you climb up further in the tree.

You can just advance further in the combo if you choose the right element and your special attack provides the minimum level. Second branch minimum level is 2 (II) and in the end you can choose between two options which need to be at least level 3 (III). Higher than branch level always works, lower doesn't. There are many possible combinations: I, II, III is classic; I, IV, III; IV, II, III... you get it I suppose. If you finish off with a level 4 special, you get more hits.

12grar.jpg

You start off with a tree that has two branches.
Branch one would be special attack 2 light followed by the option of special attack 3 lightning or nothing.
Branch two would be special attack 2 shadow followed by the option of special attack 3 earth or again shadow. After you finished the tree and reached the last branch, you successfully executed a blade combo.

7kvk7b.png

By the way: You should note the 3 orbs around Nia's picture, it means her special attack is level 3. If you want to start a blade combo, you might not want to go for the one with the highest special attack level, since this could be used to advance further in the tree instead. Important is, you can't use your mates special attacks too early, the prompt doesn't pop up unless their elements are compatible with the blade combo tree and the level of it high enough to actually be of use for it.

Your main character, however, can spam special attacks in between that do not fit the tree without disturbing it.

2rqqs7.jpg

This picture shows an advanced blade combo tree, I already entered the second branch and am left with the wind option (for which neither my mates nor myself carry a blade). Watch out not to go for dead ends.

If you still have difficulties, may want try to take a look at this video. It shows a successful blade combo execution at 1:20.
Start of wind combo at 0:35 and ends at ~1:30

These are the possible combination of Blade Combo Trees:
DPPlYFZVoAAVHGQ.jpg

Red = fire
Ice = lightblue
Water = blue
White = light
Brown = earth
Green = wind
Yellow = lightning
Purple = darkness

Some monsters gain immunity to elements when hit with a successful blade combo, elemental orbs will float around them. After you succesfully performed blade combo(s) you need to remove the elemental orbs again. We need a chain attack for that.

xenochainvgki2.png

For the chain attack you need a full party gauge (top left, the white one) and press start. One character after another can choose a special attack now. After a chain attack the party gauge will be empty again, that means you can not do any other action that would normally use up a bar of the party gauge. So use it wisely.

Fire - Water
Ice - Wind
Electric - Earth
Light - Shadow

When using a chain attack the goal is to attack a monster that has immunity (elemental orbs) — the more the merrier!! These orbs have each 3 "life-points", that means you have to hit it three times with a special attack. A special attack of the opposite element, however, does 2 damage instead of one. 1 opposite element attack plus any other special attack are at least required to burst an orb.

For each orb you burst the burst gauge that replaces the party gauge in the top left is filled up a bit, it refills more effectively when you burst more than one orb in one turn. That means basically you aim for destroying as many orbs in a turn as possible because you want to fill up that burst gauge. When you burst at least one orb in a turn, you will be rewarded with a QTE, if successful you will receive a bonus turn for the whole party. This way you are able to keep spamming one turn after another.

You are able to "overkill" a monster with a chain attack (a pop up appears), and this is good. You will receive a boost in experience and loot whenever this happens. Don't worry, just because you overkilled it doesn't mean you can't keep hitting on the poor thing. The "dead monster" remains your target till your chain attack ends due to the fact that you are out of orb bursts or the burst gauge has completely filled up, that means you can continue and gain "extra turns" despite hitting on a dead body.

When you managed to fill up your entire burst gauge, you will perform a super powerful level 4 special attack and the chain attack is over.

xenodriverqsks3.png

The driver combo basically sits between the white party gauge and the blade combo gauge. It can only be triggered by driver arts. In combination with Blade Combo it turns into Fusion Combo. Later more about that.

375p3s.jpg

Above the monster name, on the right side, we can see (here yellow) gauge for the blade combo that we have read about before, next to it appears another one. In this example it's purple and states Break. This gauge is for driver combos. (It's very fast so quick acting is recommended.)

Driver combos can be solely caused by driver arts, hence the name. This also means they could take place without the blade combo gauge being active. Not necessarily exclusively. They go in a chain, if you link them up quickly enough: Break (we have seen that here), topple, launch sends the enemy off their feet flying through the air and smash crushes them.

untitled3b1jhy.png

Whether your driver's arts are capable of causing a driver combo effect you can tell by the symbols. It is, however, also stated next to the art.

xenobladefusion5dkmo.png

Now, as you can see in that picture above, it will happen that driver and blade art are used simultaneously. That just happens in battle flow, and that's good. That's what is called "fusion combo", as you fuse the driver and the blades combos. As simple as that.

4p8p1r.jpg

This is how a fusion combo looks like.

cancelarts1ljve.png
by tonyh24613

Canceling is a system to charge your special gauge faster by input battle actions at the right timing. The timing is right after the attack hit the enemy(last hit if the attack has multiple hits).

DQIF9F0VoAYsjnZ.jpg

Normally every art add +2 to special gauge, but with canceling you can add much more. In demo Nintendo said multiple times you can use arts after canceling auto attacks, and there's much more they haven't told us:

(auto attacks, arts, blade switching) -> (canceling) -> (arts, blade switching, special)

Some canceling may require driver affinity skills:
DOw04NqVAAQFZQ1.jpg

Based on the wording I suppose the bonus gauge you get is based on the prior action you canceled, not the action after.

Normally:
Use driver arts: +2
Topple enemy: +1
Launch enemy: +2
Smash enemy: +3
Special QTE good: +1
Special QTE cool: +2
Special QTE excellent: +4

The bonus you'll get by canceling
Canceling 1st hit of auto attack: +1
Canceling 2nd hit of auto attack: +2
Canceling 3rd hit of auto attack: +3
Canceling driver arts:+2
Canceling blade switch: +2

So, theoretically, if all your blades are done cooldown and party members break the enemy for you.

3rd hit of auto attack, cancel, topple art (2+3+1), cancel, switch blade (+2), cancel, launch art (2+2+2), cancel, switch blade (+2), cancel, smash art (2+2+3) = +23

That's only 3 arts, you can even activate fusion combos by other members during this process. Without canceling the process only gives +12.

If you are still struggelling with the cancel mechanics, please take a look at the following videos:

Rex switch into Hiden, cancel, and use uppercut.

Here is another video example:
Rex doing two cancels in a row, first he cancels his art and then cancels his blade switch.

danaceattack2qok6c.png
by Jiraiza
This is not exactly part of the game mechanics, but I will put it in here as it might help to charge weapons with lower attack speed and help especially at the beginning of the game. This trick allows you to skip the rather slow attack animation of the slower weapons and build up your Driver Arts initially.

Please remember that, for building up Blade Arts quickly, you should use the cancel technique. I also think that the usage of this technique in the higher levels of the game is not to be adviced.

Last edited:

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
I think smash is part of the break > topple > launch chain too. Not that I've had the opportunity to test it since monsters die or the launch effect is gone before I am able to use a Driver Art with smash effect it.

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
I think smash is part of the break > topple > launch chain too. Not that I've had the opportunity to test it since monsters die or the launch effect is gone before I am able to use a Driver Art with smash effect it.

It is.

Break > Topple > Launch > Smash

The guy with the weird bird Blade explains this before a boss fight.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Game just came in the mail, been on a blackout, I feel intimidated after reading this...

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This is great thank you for this. I just started chapter 3 and I am getting there with the combat but there are still a few systems I am confused on.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Does it need to be I -> II -> III for the combo to work?
I assume this is talking about the blade combos... short answer is no.

The way it works is that you can use any blade attack a level higher than the last one to continue the combo. So it looks like this:
To initiate, you can use I to IV
2nd stage, you can use II to IV
3rd stage, you can use III to IV

Hope that makes sense :)

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. It's short yet thorough enough. The game doesn't do a great job at tutorializing this in context after rapid firing the mechanics at you. I had to experiment quite a bit to figure it out. :P

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I assume this is talking about the blade combos... short answer is no.

The way it works is that you can use any blade attack a level higher than the last one to continue the combo. So it looks like this:
To initiate, you can use I to IV
2nd stage, you can use II to IV
3rd stage, you can use III to IV

Hope that makes sense :)
So does it work with the same level but a high number? Like II then III then III?

OP
OP
Rory

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Game just came in the mail, been on a blackout, I feel intimidated after reading this...
Don't, just start playing and go with the flow. When you really get stuck you can ask people here. It's not really that complicated when properly and gradually introduced. Sadly the properly isn't really done well in the game, but you aren't confronted with the entire battle system right away so you have time to get used to it.

Believe me, you will be so happy doing one blade combo after another when you finally figured it out. (Took me some time too, I was already on the second titans back when I understood how I could do blade combos willingly)

So does it work with the same level but a high number? Like II then III then III?
It's minimum.

Minimum I to start, minimum II to get to the second branch and minimum III to finish. If you choose I, III, III that works; even I, IV, III works.

If you accidentally press too early, it doesn't cancel but you need someone else to provide the II.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

It's really not that bad. I was able to figure all of it out by just playing the game. Fighting random mobs is damn fun so I just figured it out by killing a lot of shit. It's more involved than most RPG's but it's not anything crazy imo.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Don't, just start playing and go with the flow. When you really get stuck you can ask people here. It's not really that complicated when properly and gradually introduced. Sadly the properly isn't really done well in the game, but you aren't confronted with the entire battle system right away so you have time to get used to it.

Believe me, you will be so happy doing one blade combo after another when you finally figured it out. (Took me some time too, I was already on the second titans back when I understood how I could do blade combos willingly)

It's really not that bad. I was able to figure all of it out by just playing the game. Fighting random mobs is damn fun so I just figured it out by killing a lot of shit. It's more involved than most RPG's but it's not anything crazy imo.
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to playing the game and I'm glad to know the Xenoblade community is as helpful and knowledgeable as it is, hopefully I wont need your help but I'll know where to come if I do! :)

Nov 1, 2017
This is great; the game sorely needs a better tutorial section rather than one pop-up message during battle that is never shown again.

Askherserenity

Oct 27, 2017
This.
Still not sure I get the blade combos...i just press a again? how do I choose which branch of the tree?

Your perform a special attack corresponding with an element on the tree.

1.Pyra special attack (fire) rank 1
2.Let's say water is next on the tree, wait till Nia has her rank 2/3 water special attack and her button prompt will show up (like in the picture in the OP).

and so on and so on.

OP
OP
Rory

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
This.
Still not sure I get the blade combos...i just press a again? how do I choose which branch of the tree?
It can make sense to have one element twice in the party, this way it's not one member who has to recharge it's special attack.

To do everything by yourself the time limit of the blade combo will be too short.

Take the shadow tree from the OP post, I had 2 shadow blades in party and could just spam shadow attacks because Nia had one and myself. I started the attack, then I waited till Nia had collected 2 Orbs around her Avatar and then I pressed her button (ZR) by that time I was already recharged at least level 3 if not higher.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my copy (lol GameStop) but this will come in handy. I've actually been lurking on your explanations in the other thread in preparation without even knowing yet whats being talked about. Thanks for the tips!

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
From what my friend is claiming, every reviewer who called enemies 'damage sponges' was playing the game so extremely wrong that they could be compared to 'Polygon Plays Doom.'

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thank you so much for this topic. I was having the hardest time figuring out what the game was talking about, and I kind of still don't.

I always hated long Nintendo tutorials but this is really not the way to go either lol, its an overload of information. But I'm really digging the combat, it feels like the proper evolution of Chronicles and X's combat.

Just a question, the game mentions you can increase your combo gauge quicker if you use a driver art right after an auto attack, is there a visual cue that you actually pulled it off properly? Because I can't tell, at all, if I'm doing it right or not

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm still struggling with simple things like basic attacks. Do they stop if I move? Do I have to use arts always after the third attack?

The tutorial messages are well written but without any sort of message history to check the whole thing quickly becomes convoluted.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I'm still struggling with simple things like basic attacks. Do they stop if I move? Do I have to use arts always after the third attack?

The tutorial messages are well written but without any sort of message history to check the whole thing quickly becomes convoluted.

Yes Auto Attack stops while you are moving. No, you can use arts whenever you want (provided their bars are filled), its best to perform arts right after an auto attack hits, as it seems to fill your special attack gauge faster.

Askherserenity

Oct 27, 2017
From what my friend is claiming, every reviewer who called enemies 'damage sponges' was playing the game so extremely wrong that they could be compared to 'Polygon Plays Doom.'

Yeah, I realized this after playing the game for two hours.

Thank you so much for this topic. I was having the hardest time figuring out what the game was talking about, and I kind of still don't.

I always hated long Nintendo tutorials but this is really not the way to go either lol, its an overload of information. But I'm really digging the combat, it feels like the proper evolution of Chronicles and X's combat.

Just a question, the game mentions you can increase your combo gauge quicker if you use a driver art right after an auto attack, is there a visual cue that you actually pulled it off properly? Because I can't tell, at all, if I'm doing it right or not

I use the art as soon as the third attack hits an enemy.

You'll see a white orb? effect around your character each time you time it right. I forget if there's a text pop up or audio cue as well.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I use the art as soon as the third attack hits an enemy.

You'll see a white orb? effect around your character each time you time it right. I forget if there's a text pop up or audio cue as well.

The 3rd hit? I wish the game would be more specific, it just says "after an auto attack", but I'll keep an eye out for any sort of cue.

I can see the cue now, its a white gathering light around the character. It works after ANY hit, you don't have to wait for the 3rd hit

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
The 3rd hit? I wish the game would be more specific, it just says "after an auto attack", but I'll keep an eye out for any sort of cue.

I can see the cue now, its a white gathering light around the character. It works after ANY hit, you don't have to wait for the 3rd hit
Auto-attacks are in sets of threes, each being stronger than the one before, and timing an Art with your strongest auto will max out its potential damage (I think, it's what I remember from the tutorials), but you can still time it with any auto. I don't think it should take any precedence over putting your art on cooldown or timing it correctly for a combo anyway.

Last edited:

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that really helped me out at the beginning was making sure I understood each and every mechanic right after it got introduced by fighting random enemies. It made them feel like they were introduced at a somewhat appropriate pace, but you'll probably regret it if you try rushing through things.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I had everything down already. I was worried I was missing something because some reviews said it was so complicated, but I guess that wasn't the case.

Well, I haven't opened up chain attacks yet (I think), but it seems like a logical progression.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Auto-attacks are in sets of threes, each being stronger than the one before, and timing an Art with your strongest auto will max out its potential damage (I think, it's what I remember from the tutorials), but you can still time it with any auto.

Are you sure? I'm looking at pictures of the tutorial screens and it only mentions performing arts right after an auto attack, doesn't say anything about doing it after the 3rd hit.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need to know any of this going in. It's all introduced gradually and becomes second nature quickly.
Good to know, I was just interested because even-though I've been on a blackout I've heard murmurings regarding the complexity of the battle system, glad it shouldn't be an issue!

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I was watching Twitch yesterday and saw someone say they were basically mashing A, aka the special button, and didn't even seem to know your character auto-attacks if they're near an enemy with their weapon out.

This guide is good, but maybe needs to start even simpler :p

EDIT:
Are you sure? I'm looking at pictures of the tutorial screens and it only mentions performing arts right after an auto attack, doesn't say anything about doing it after the 3rd hit.

Maybe it's later, but it definitely mentions that the further into your 3-hit combo you are, i.e. on the 2nd/3rd hit, the stronger the Art becomes when you cancel into it. Meaning you might sometimes prefer to wait for the 3rd Auto to use it.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was mentioned in passing in a later one but I might as well be remembering incorrectly, there are so many in the beginning (not to mention the random distribution of the damage makes it difficult to test so I usually don't even bother). I should have taken screenshots. :/

Edit: got it, it's actually for cancels. I'm glad my mind didn't completely make it up. https://i.imgur.com/NQSByj9.jpg

Thanks for the screens Gabora

Last edited:

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OK, this game blows at teaching stuff lol, what I thought was the visual cue for doing driver arts after an auto-attack is actually the cue for a cancel attack LOL, which turns out is exactly what its supposed to be. And then it tells me to do it on the 3rd auto attack. Why not just come and say all this from the start, even before talking about special attacks?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I realized this after playing the game for two hours

The length of fights in the first few hours doesn't reflect later encounters at all. I'm 20 hours in and in the last 5-6 hours enemies are getting significantly spongier, even when they're a few levels below me and I'm doing max blade combos. It's mostly because it's rare to encounter one enemy at the time in the area I'm currently in, so you end up with 3-4 at once. Back in the earlier chapters I couldn't get blade combos off because enemies died so quickly, sometimes now I can get them off 2+ times per enemy.

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why this is so fucking convoluted. I hate everything about this gameplay so much which is so disappointing. I'm not going to watch element trees, pay attention to how many orbs are spinning around other drivers' icons, watch when an auto hit lands so I can unleash an art, watch everyone's health...

It's just too much.

This is such a disappointing game for me to find in a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Good to know, I was just interested because even-though I've been on a blackout I've heard murmurings regarding the complexity of the battle system, glad it shouldn't be an issue!
Xenoblade battle system always look batshit impenetrable from afar. They're super easy to get into with a lot of depth to get into if you wanna go nuts.

Deleted member 59

Can i just confirm something, is a cancel attack the one that creates a blue circle around you if you time your art usage right?