• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
yes, if you want to call that gacha, it counts too
Even western RPGs tend to have "identify" spells for weapon drops that may or may not be good for your character. Some you may not even be able to equip! Even worse, in some of those games, in order to use an identify action you spend resources that you don't get back and have to replenish even if you didn't get what you wanted, now that's gacha as hell :P

In reality, what makes XC2's random drops system seem more "gacha-like" to people and causes the adverse reaction we see in some is that it's characters you're getting, not items, like in many gacha games were there are custom designs and guest artists that design them. But they're functionally items, the difference from other random drop systems is purely esthetic.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys! Never played a Xenoblade. Hope you don't mind me butting into this thread. I'm going to go into this one pretty blind, but I did notice that I haven't seen any big mech exploration footage in the couple of trailers that I peeped. That seemed a big draw in the last game. Are the big mechs gone?

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
Oh please God let it be so.
The Nintendo representative specifically said that people "come December 1st, if they buy the game, will have a significantly different experience" regarding combat balance and the other details. I'm very optimistic.

Hey guys! Never played a Xenoblade. Hope you don't mind me butting into this thread. I'm going to go into this one pretty blind, but I did notice that I haven't seen any big mech exploration footage in the couple of trailers that I peeped. That seemed a big draw in the last game. Are the big mechs gone?
Mechs were in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but not in the first game (or at least, they were not something you could use to explore, but just mech-like enemies). As far as we've seen, this game is back to the original formula: exploration is done on foot, or riding some Blades (weapons) that double up as vehicles (the large cat does, for instance, we think there will be more).

If they do introduce mechs or have kept them under wraps, I'm going to lose my shit.

Last edited:

Yian

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didn't Nintendo previously rule out dual audio? I think I read a statement like that. Or is it unknown at this point?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
They're not in the game. It might be helpful to consider Xenoblade Chronicles X as a spinoff to the first game, with a more sci-fi vibe and a open world-like traversal/progression structure that was aided by the mech mechanics. This game (and its prequel, the original Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii) has more of a steampunk-ish fantasy-vibe, where mechs like the ones in X wouldn't really fit.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo previously rule out dual audio? I think I read a statement like that. Or is it unknown at this point?

That was probably people mistaking the caption in the EU trailers that said the game would only be available in English as confirmation of no dual audio, but that's always meant only in terms of EU languages.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You're thinking of an NoE trailer that said the game would only be available in English. Thing is, for NoE purposes, what that means is the game won't have a FIGS translationaudio-wise, not that it won't have dual audio (that's not their call anyway). FIGS is important for EU markets, so that's why they added that disclaimer to the trailer for that region. People in the US that don't know about that misconstrued the note as Nintendo definitively saying the game wouldn't have dual audio (which would be a very weird statement to make, to be fair).

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Previous presentations had indicated English only, but without really sufficient context. Logic dictated (and reasonably so) that it's unlikely to fit two sets of audio options for a game that is most likely going to have a significant amount of spoken dialogue. Nothing is concrete, which will hopefully change soon.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Soooo, solid proof the enemy HP has been inflated for demo purposes? Great news

Yian

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks everyone, that's probably what I read, I didn't follow up on it.

It's a relief since reading that today put a bit of a damper on my excitement. Crossing my fingers for good news.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I checked the stream with the Nintendo of Europe PR and can confirm the guy himself went ahead to explain the HP sponge stuff. So it's confirmed for good.
He also more or less confirmed dual audio.

Last edited:

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
The stream is up on YouTube. (Not sure if official or not) Nothing we haven't seen before.

@4:00 The PR guy explains the dev voluntarily upped the HP on enemies
@7:20 the PR guy says that people should wait "in the coming week" for answers regarding the Japanese dub (in the EU version at least since I don't think they can speak of all versions of the game).

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think dual audio is doable as a download, right? Didn't that happen with Fire Emblem?

Not sure why anyone would rule that out as an option.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yeah, I'd be super ok if this was how they offered it.

I'm pretty confident they will. The issue is likely cart space - which is why Fire Emblem was separate iirc. And looking further back than that, they patched in audio options for Zelda after requests (although in that case it's already on the cart)

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that and Soraya tease, there's probably a direct next week either containing a Xenoblade 2 segment, or being entirely about this game.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
I think it's too soon for a general direct, maybe we will get another hybrid direct, like Arms/Splatoon but this time with Xenoblade 2 and... the DLC for Zelda ?

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I don't get what is all the fuss about the so-called gacha system in this game. In previous Xenoblade games and most JRPGs, we get special and rare weapons or clothes randomly or arts in drop chests beating some enemies or hidden in the map (having a small rate or percentage of this happening between several options).

Maybe I don't understand some small detail about the gacha system and someone can kindly explain it to me, but I believe the XC2 Blade drops are exactly the same as previous games, but with crystals instead of chests or enemy drops. Also, we don't have to pay anything like loot boxes.

I still wonder why people are calling it a "Gacha" system? Has it even been officially called such a thing? I mean, random loot has been a thing long before Gacha after all. And AFAIK, you're not paying currency for the crystals

This, essentially. I think people maybe are confused and mixing some concepts and the rest of the people are just misusing this new fancy word like parrots...

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't get what is all the fuss about the so-called gacha system in this game. In previous Xenoblade games and most JRPGs, we get special and rare weapons or clothes randomly or arts in drop chests beating some enemies or hidden in the map (having a small rate or percentage of this happening between several options).

Maybe I don't understand some small detail about the gacha system and someone can kindly explain it to me, but I believe the XC2 Blade drops are exactly the same as previous games, but with crystals instead of chests or enemy drops. Also, we don't have to pay anything like loot boxes.
You're 100% correct. As I mentioned in the last page, I think people are calling it a gacha mostly because the "items" you're acquiring in this case are characters, which were custom-designed by guest artists, which is common in gacha games, but functionally they're the same as random drops. So, the similarity with gacha are entirely esthetic and have no impact on mechanics or gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
Willing to bet that at least for the EU version, if JP voiceovers are available, they will be a download instead of being on the cart.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

This, essentially. I think people maybe are confused and mixing some concepts and the rest of the people are just misusing this new fancy word like parrots...

The difference is that in previous Xenoblade games, your abilities weren't locked to random drops. In Xenoblade 1, characters largely learned Arts by leveling, in X they learned them by leveling up their class. In X2, Arts are linked to Blades (and apparently differ depending on which character is using the Blade). This also gates the elemental combo/enemy ability seal system behind which Blades you've picked up. It is appreciably different from previous games, the closest comparison is how Skell abilities are linked specifically to their equipment, but even then you can just straight up buy lots of equipment in X, and that does not seem to be the case here in 2.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
In XBC, they kinda were. The advanced levels of the art could only be gained by defeating certain enemies and them dropping it.

That's not the same thing though? Leveling an Art you already have access to up after a certain point requiring a random drop isn't the same as not having access to the Art at all unless you get a random drop.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
The difference is that in previous Xenoblade games, your abilities weren't locked to random drops. In Xenoblade 1, characters largely learned Arts by leveling, in X they learned them by leveling up their class. In X2, Arts are linked to Blades (and apparently differ depending on which character is using the Blade). This also gates the elemental combo/enemy ability seal system behind which Blades you've picked up. It is appreciably different from previous games, the closest comparison is how Skell abilities are linked specifically to their equipment, but even then you can just straight up buy lots of equipment in X, and that does not seem to be the case here in 2.

In XBC your arts could only be updated with special books dropped from defeated enemies at different rates.

In XBC, they kinda were. The advanced levels of the art could only be gained by defeating certain enemies and them dropping it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
In XBC your arts could only be updated with special books dropped from defeated enemies at different rates.

You have the basic levels unlocked initially, and the intermediate books were all sold in stores, it was the high level ones that were only found in loot. Which, again, "leveling up arts you already have" is appreciably different from "your arts are entirely determined by the random drops you obtain" which is what people are commenting on.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
You have the basic levels unlocked initially, and the intermediate books were all sold in stores, it was the high level ones that were only found in loot. Which, again, "leveling up arts you already have" is appreciably different from "your arts are entirely determined by the random drops you obtain" which is what people are commenting on.
Fair enough, but I still think this is not that different from rare swords or axes or clothes from previous games. The "normal" Blades (or generic ones) will probably have all the necessary Arts and all and maybe the rare Blades will share the same Arts but with more power, or maybe they'll have some special Art that it's not important or necessary to the main game at all, and they'll unlock some optional Hearts to Hearts mini quest. Just extra juice for people that wants to explore every nook and cranny and fight all living creatures they find, and not just follow the plot until the final boss.

In the end, I understand now that some people call this "gacha" because the weapons has human shapes and maybe will unlock some secondary stories, but I'd still wouldn't call it that way as I see it very misleading.

MonolithSoft always tries new and different ways to manage weapons, arts, magic and they way we find and upgrade them, but I have a hard time believing they were thinking in Gacha games while they were developing this game. They were just making some changes to the systems they used in the past, IMO.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't weird me if Nintendo decided to put the jp VA as free DLC on the eshop. It's most likely a last minute decision, same as FE Warriors.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Really would love an exploration trailer sometime soon.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Despite all of the things that might be wrong with this game (art style, gacha blades, voice acting)...still hyped as hell. Put so many hours in XBX...

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too soon for a general direct, maybe we will get another hybrid direct, like Arms/Splatoon but this time with Xenoblade 2 and... the DLC for Zelda ?

Now this could be interesting. A XC2 Direct with a small section for the Zelda DLC, like that ARMS+Splatoon Direct a few months ago. It could give the game more exposure to an audience that likes massive games. The comments from both Soraya Saga and the Nintendo rep. indicate there'll be probably something soon, be it a broadcast or just informative videos.

Hoping they don't explain the battle system once again...

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely for the inclusion somehow of the JP audio, though I doubt it will be as "better than the dub" as some think it is.

I'll be sticking with the dub, NoE did a tremendous job with the original Xenoblade and what I've heard is very promising of X2. I just wish we could hear more of the voices in proper context than as voiceovers or cut out of context.

Also, if these demos still are the non-final build, I hope that Monolith has tweaked the "repetitive" amount of attack vocalizations to reduce their cycling speed, especially for Tora.

Shunt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sticking with the dub, NoE did a tremendous job with the original Xenoblade and what I've heard is very promising of X2. I just wish we could hear more of the voices in proper context than as voiceovers or cut out of context.

I will be too. Rex's VO sounds pretty good in the story trailer. His opening lines "The story goes..." especially. Nia sounds fantastic, and is probably my favourite of the bunch so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Really happy to hear that the HP values have been bumped up.

I honestly couldn't stick around w/ Xenoblade Chronicles X because of how long battles seemed to take, even when you were 4 people going up against one mob.

Just hoping that the battles take on the pace that is more akin to Xenoblade Chronicles. I loved how battles seemed to variate well, but most battles were fairly quick and over with. If that is maintained in XC:2, it will go a long way in its enjoyability for me.

Now, the only thing left to confirm is whether or not cosmetic equipment is back...

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I will be too. Rex's VO sounds pretty good in the story trailer. His opening lines "The story goes..." especially. Nia sounds fantastic, and is probably my favourite of the bunch so far.
What's a good video to hear Nia's VA? So far, my favorite is the knight lady.