• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 now. Plots really starting to pickup. I'm starting to really like Jin as a character at this point. For some reason now everything just "clicks" gameplay wise.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
After almost ten months, I finally got KOS-MOS the other day.

Feels so damn good to have the Blade album completed (and also a little sad).

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
How are the custom difficulty sliders? Are they accessible right from the get-go?

The battle system in XC2 is very solid but I'm wondering if you can make the pace of battles a little quicker and more akin to XC1 by messing with the sliders. I feel like that could solve some of the issues with enemy aggro forcing you into lengthy regular battles you didn't foresee.

Any insight is appreciated.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend turning up the charge rate for specials. It speeds the battles up a lot. Personally, I'm enjoying the enemy health and attack strength sliders. They've allowed me to retain some degree of challenge on new game plus.

Enemy aggression can be turned off completely.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend turning up the charge rate for specials. It speeds the battles up a lot. Personally, I'm enjoying the enemy health and attack strength sliders. They've allowed me to retain some degree of challenge on new game plus.

Enemy aggression can be turned off completely.

I love these extra settings to tweak gameplay. I think the enemy aggression feature is fantastic, because I often find myself exploring but having to hug the edges of areas sometimes so I don't aggro enemies way overleveled than me and 1HKO'ing me just for being curious.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I love these extra settings to tweak gameplay. I think the enemy aggression feature is fantastic, because I often find myself exploring but having to hug the edges of areas sometimes so I don't aggro enemies way overleveled than me and 1HKO'ing me just for being curious.
This is my main problem with the game's world, which is otherwise breathtaking.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my main problem with the game's world, which is otherwise breathtaking.

Considering the waypoint marker for quests is vastly more vague than XC1's pointing arrow, I don't always find the "correct" path intended to get somewhere and I usually run into high level mobs lol. This world design is fantastic as per usual of Monolithsoft.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on chapter 5 and the game has been pretty easy before but now everything is level ~45 and I'm level ~35. I know I need to improve tactically and realized I don't know (or understand) the breaking orbs thing. Anyone have a "for dummies" version of it?

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on chapter 5 and the game has been pretty easy before but now everything is level ~45 and I'm level ~35. I know I need to improve tactically and realized I don't know (or understand) the breaking orbs thing. Anyone have a "for dummies" version of it?

I believe there's a combat guide in the OP.
The game is very easy when you're at or above the enemy's level, and can be very challenging when you're even a few levels below unless you play specific strategies or construct specific builds.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Have you been using Bonus Exp to level up at inns? Experience points gained from sidequests gets banked into a Bonus Exp pool that you can access when resting at an inn.

Yes I have :)

To be fair, I've pretty much done the opposite of grind, so I don't mind taking a break from the story and trying to grind affinity charts for a minute (which I haven't done at all).

Any recommended early game EXP spots?

And before it is asked, I am doing Merc missions

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017

It's chain attack, press the + button when the top left bars are full

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I got that part, but it only ever does their level one arts and every once in a while it gives me the chance to do more

You have to burst the orbs under their HP, use blades with a good chain attack to destroy the orbs.

I'm on the end of chapter 5 too. But my characters are on Lvl 46 to 56 (Zeke) and I didn't grind, only sidequests and mercs.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
I got that part, but it only ever does their level one arts and every once in a while it gives me the chance to do more

You extend your chain attack by bursting orbs. Each orb needs three hits to break. Attacks from Blades of opposing elements (fire/water, electric/earth, wind/ice, dark/light) count as two hits and will always hit the opposing element orb, so you can use that to your advantage to make sure you break one orb each round to keep extending your chain attack.

So for example, you have three orbs on an enemy: water, fire, and wind. You start with an attack from Pyra which targets the water orb specifically for two hits because they're opposing elements. You then use a wind attack which hits the fire orb at random. You then use an electric attack which hits the fire orb again at random. Your chain attack then ends because you didn't burst any orbs that round. Now if one of those two later attacks had hit the already damaged water orb at random, you would have burst it and you'd continue on to the next round where your specials would level up to 2, provided you got the QTE prompt at the end of round 1.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You extend your chain attack by bursting orbs. Each orb needs three hits to break. Attacks from Blades of opposing elements (fire/water, electric/earth, wind/ice, dark/light) count as two hits and will always hit the opposing element orb, so you can use that to your advantage to make sure you break one orb each round to keep extending your chain attack.

So for example, you have three orbs on an enemy: water, fire, and wind. You start with an attack from Pyra which targets the water orb specifically for two hits because they're opposing elements. You then use a wind attack which hits the fire orb at random. You then use an electric attack which hits the fire orb again at random. Your chain attack then ends because you didn't burst any orbs that round. Now if one of those two later attacks had hit the already damaged water orb at random, you would have burst it and you'd continue on to the next round where your specials would level up to 2, provided you got the QTE prompt at the end of round 1.
This is also why you want to have a diverse set of blades on your characters. The more elements you have available, the easier chain attacking becomes.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

This post and looking up where the orbs were located helped a ton! I'm not sure if its because I'm always playing in handheld mode but I didn't even notice them before. Thank you!

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
My level 52 Rex, Tora, and Morag beat level 90 T-Rex(?) In Temperanthia LOL.

Blades were basic AF.

Rex: M, Roc
Tora: Alpha, QT
Morag: Brighid and Corvin.

Corvin is a fucking beast!

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of starting New Game+ now that I'm done with Torna. What are some fun build I can use? In my regular playthrough I just used Rex and Mythra critbuild but I'd like to focus on another character and set of blades.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm thinking of starting New Game+ now that I'm done with Torna. What are some fun build I can use? In my regular playthrough I just used Rex and Mythra critbuild but I'd like to focus on another character and set of blades.

Tora is the way to go. I couldn't be bothered with Tiger Tiger! in the base game, so he fell out of favour pretty quickly.

But you can buy ether crystals from one of the NG+ bards, allowing you to customise all the Poppis without having to play the mini game at all.

QT Pi (third form) in particular is so much fun to toy around with.

With all three Poppis, Tora can perform the entire blad combo (break/topple/launch/smash) himself. Plus you can customise their elements and equip all different types of upgrades.

You can turn Tora into a better evision tank than Morag with the right upgrades. Plus you can always tinker around and change his play style between battles.

I had loads of satisfaction building up Poppi and Tora. When you've got them all kitted out and you wreck everything, it's a blast.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tora is the way to go. I couldn't be bothered with Tiger Tiger! in the base game, so he fell out of favour pretty quickly.

But you can buy ether crystals from one of the NG+ bards, allowing you to customise all the Poppis without having to play the mini game at all.

QT Pi (third form) in particular is so much fun to toy around with.

With all three Poppis, Tora can perform the entire blad combo (break/topple/launch/smash) himself. Plus you can customise their elements and equip all different types of upgrades.

You can turn Tora into a better evision tank than Morag with the right upgrades. Plus you can always tinker around and change his play style between battles.

I had loads of satisfaction building up Poppi and Tora. When you've got them all kitted out and you wreck everything, it's a blast.
Thanks! I'll defo go for this. I had no idea you could skip Tiger Tiger now, that's huge! More excited for my playthrough now.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Did anyone else get a Xenoblade 2 survey from Nintendo, idk if it's a new one but it seemed pretty standard, I said that I wasn't a fan of the Blade core system and the way it can come down to luck to be able to pass some skill checks thanks to that.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Going to start a fresh game tomorrow. Never got very far so it's not much of a loss.

Any tips on who should get what blades? That was the most confusing part for me.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to start a fresh game tomorrow. Never got very far so it's not much of a loss.

Any tips on who should get what blades? That was the most confusing part for me.
In general:

Avoid Rex at least, he gets good default blades for free and there's a spoiler reason why he should be avoided too.

After that it really depends. You get items later (although rare) to switch rare blades around so it's not a big disaster. There's also free rare blades you get that you can put as filler on units.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
In general, put healer blades on Nia, tanks on your 4th character and attackers on your 5th. Rex gets 2 rare blades through the story by Chapter 4 so you'll only need one more on him. Strongly recommended not to add more than that for spoiler reasons.

There's an unpredictability with the core openings though so don't stress about it too much.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This.

The default blades attached to each character (Pyra > Rex, Dromarch > Nia, etc) are good enough that no matter what you do when choosing the other blades, you will be able to finish the game (and you can also lower the difficulty at will).
The only real rule is to make sure the elements are diverse and you cover everything.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I just did a 3 bursts so good. I think I'm too OP for my chapter now, beginning of chapter 7 and I'm at 60-ish

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I switched to the "I am a huge babby" custom easy mode to tear through Challenge Mode and recruit the legacy characters. It still took a few tries, particularly Elma, but man Fiora's level 2 special is great.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Elma forced me to dive into the custom difficulty options - she gave my 200+ hour team the run-around.

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Got a weird bug.

I can't 100% Pandoria's affinity chart, the one with find secret area is buggy. wen I unlockes it, it says 0/12 while actually I had more than half of it.

I've tried to revisited it, but it still says 0/12. I googled and no one has this problem.

:(

edit: NM I'm dumb

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Working on a NG+, finally finished my Blade album! Vale was my last blade, KOS-MOS was my second to last excluding quest blades. Probably spent a total of 600-700 core crystals to get them all. Working on filling out affinity charts for the blades I plan on using and getting all their trusts to S+ in preparation for an NG++ where I just steamroll everything!

I wasn't a huge fan of the gacha system, and the story is a little too anime for me at times, but once I researched a way to farm legendary core crystals quickly and figured out some of the systems better it's become a lot more fun. Still not quite up there with XC1 or XCX for me, but much closer than it was my first playthrough.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone. Just getting back into this after giving up on it at launch only something like 6-10 hours in. Found it too difficult and hard to grasp the systems, particularly the map.

Just rebought it and will start with easy mode. Any tips for a beginner?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Hi everyone. Just getting back into this after giving up on it at launch only something like 6-10 hours in. Found it too difficult and hard to grasp the systems, particularly the map.

Try not to get overwhelmed. The game throws a lot of systems at you early doors, but it will eventually click if you give it a bit of time.

Also, use us. The XC2 community is super friendly and quite active. If you have any questions throw them in here and someone will answer them.

Xenomiggs

Nov 8, 2017
Miami, FL

Yeah, Like Mr. Fletcher said... Try not to get overwhelmed and don't be afraid to ask for help. Once you "get it", it's incredibly addictive. It's no coincidence that we have members here with over 300+ played hours.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Try not to get overwhelmed. The game throws a lot of systems at you early doors, but it will eventually click if you give it a bit of time.

Also, use us. The XC2 community is super friendly and quite active. If you have any questions throw them in here and someone will answer them.

Yeah, Like Mr. Fletcher said... Try not to get overwhelmed and don't be afraid to ask for help. Once you "get it", it's incredibly addictive. It's no coincidence that we have members here with over 300+ played hours.

Thanks for the advice!

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main story, where should I explore and beat unique monsters? Is it in New Game Plus or in my current save?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Just finished the main story, where should I explore and beat unique monsters? Is it in New Game Plus or in my current save?

You can fight all the unique monsters and super bosses on your normal save. It might be easier on NG+ as you can buy an extra accessory slot, but everything can be done on your first save. However, there are a few blades you can only get in NG+.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
You can fight all the unique monsters and super bosses on your normal save. It might be easier on NG+ as you can buy an extra accessory slot, but everything can be done on your first save. However, there are a few blades you can only get in NG+.

Is there anything I should do before I start a new game plus?

How do i level up? Do i have to kill all these innocent creatures that are just going about their business?

Fight a monster above your level, I reached level 95 easily from rank 50 by beating 3 dinosaurs in temperantia

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
How many Heart to Hearts are possible before NG+? I'm filling out Poppibuster's affinity but it's stuck at 65. I know you need to be in NG+ before it can be completed, but is 65 the most that can be achieved in a new game?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Is there anything I should do before I start a new game plus?

There's a superboss which, when defeated, grants access to some really good cores. You can only get 10 per pkaythrough, but it's not a massive deal.

If you're trying to max out Ursula and are part way through the process, finish it before starting NG+ as you'll lose your progress,

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.