• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
I want to say almost everything outside of sidequests carry over to NG+, but I haven't started it yet so I don't know for sure.

It's definitely worth playing Torna before starting NG+, though.

Great, thanks. I will dive into Torna before moving on. Do you mind explaining why you decided to continue the game on your original save file rather than switching over to NG+? I'm really torn on which direction to go. I've actually never played NG+ in any game I've owned, but I'm surprisingly not ready to move on from XC2 after 130 hours. There's still a ton of content left, obviously, with many blades left to acquire. I'm just not sure if I'd be better served playing more in NG+ vs my current save.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Great, thanks. I will dive into Torna before moving on. Do you mind explaining why you decided to continue the game on your original save file rather than switching over to NG+? I'm really torn on which direction to go. I've actually never played NG+ in any game I've owned, but I'm surprisingly not ready to move on from XC2 after 130 hours. There's still a ton of content left, obviously, with many blades left to acquire. I'm just not sure if I'd be better served playing more in NG+ vs my current save.
NG+ wasn't added until a March update and by that point I had already done most of the side content in my first playthrough. I also very rarely play NG+ in general, so I preferred going for 100% in my first playthrough.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping because an English summary of the meetup article has been posted: https://xenomira.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/torna-sound-team-famitsu-interview-summary/
Bringer of Chaos! was originally planned to be an 8-bit track because (some) cutscenes with Zeke were originally going to be in a "pixel-art style", and the 8-bit music was supposed to complement that. The idea was eventually trashed, and the 8-bit track was remixed and repurposed as the track we know today. People at the event got to hear the original 8-bit version of the track.

Takahashi and Mitsuda have talked to each other about wanting to do a concert for Xenoblade 2, but technical difficulties and scheduling conflicts have made it difficult.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
After beating Tales of Vesperia: DE a few days ago I'm in a JRPG mood so I decided to finally get into this game. Not sure it's so smart to play such a long game right after another long ass game but we'll see how that goes. lol

Any tips / things you wish you knew when starting sorta things?

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The battle system has so many layers there's even a tutorial before the final boss.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
  • The Battle System has a lot of layers to it, with said layers being gradually unlocked as you progress. If the battle system feels slow or janky early on, its because certain parts of it are still locked out.
  • Screenshot the tutorials if you don't quite understand them so you can look back at them later.
  • While the English VAs start out rough (particularly Rex's VA), I do think they really improve as the game goes on.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
After beating Tales of Vesperia: DE a few days ago I'm in a JRPG mood so I decided to finally get into this game. Not sure it's so smart to play such a long game right after another long ass game but we'll see how that goes. lol

Any tips / things you wish you knew when starting sorta things?

My main advice to people playing any Xenoblade game is: don't rush it. If you're in a hurry to beat it and head to the next RPG in your list, you will hate most of the things that make Xenoblade games great.

Exploration is one of the best aspects of Xenoblade games. The worlds in these games are leagues above the competition. So, take your time, do some side quests -- even fetch quests, because they not only make you stronger, but also make you find new places and creatures.

Combat is very complex. I had a hard time understanding new mechanics whenever they were introduced. However, since I was doing lots of sidequests, I got into A LOT of fights and gradually understood how things work -- sometimes more than 10 hours after they were introduced by a tutorial, and that's perfectly fine. So, don't worry if the game seems overwhelming to you: if you take your time and don't rush it, you will understand everything, and the more you understand the game, the more you will enjoy the AWESOME mechanics.

And of course, if you have any questions, just ask!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nah, I don't plan on rushing it just to get to a next game. No point in that. I probably won't 100% it, though. I beat Vesperia in around 80 hours but didn't do a lot of the optional stuff but only because I heard it was mostly tedious things and unlocking costumes so I didn't bother.

The combat seems pretty stiff coming from Vesperia though but I'm still early on so I'm sure the complexity and ease of use will come with more time played like mentioned.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Nah, I don't plan on rushing it just to get to a next game. No point in that. I probably won't 100% it, though. I beat Vesperia in around 80 hours but didn't do a lot of the optional stuff but only because I heard it was mostly tedious things and unlocking costumes so I didn't bother.

The combat seems pretty stiff coming from Vesperia though but I'm still early on so I'm sure the complexity and ease of use will come with more time played like mentioned.

I'd echo what everyone else has already said - and of course feel free to ask in here if you need help.

There are a lot of mechanics, skills and items you can use to speed up combat and make it more enjoyable.

But I think, early doors, it's better to just play the game and feel your way through it.

It does take a chunk of time before the combat really opens up though, so be aware of that.

Otherwise just enjoy the ride. :)

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing this as my first ever JRPG, and I must say I really liked what I have played, just started chapter 3.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
With the expansion pass I got a bunch of rare and legendary core crystals. Should I just use these right away all with Rex or wait till later on when I have more characters and better stats? Is there a limit to how many Blades you can have at once?

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
With the expansion pass I got a bunch of rare and legendary core crystals. Should I just use these right away all with Rex or wait till later on when I have more characters and better stats? Is there a limit to how many Blades you can have at once?
It's worth waiting until you have more party members.

There is a limit to how many Blades each party member can have in total, but there is a way to increase the limit further into the game.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Mate, it's about to pick up. If you've made it through the slow (but still really enjoyable) opening two chapters, you'll love what's coming... well, probably.

I'm currently just starting and in Gormott just wandering around exploring, doing side quests, picking up collections, finding new locations, etc.

It plays like an offline MMO. lol

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Do i have to bother with the poppi upgrades? its quite overwhelming and the mini game is annoying.

Also do i have to wait for the Chain combo to unlock? saw a video that using + when the three bars is charged should start it but doesnt do it for me, Ive just got to meet Vanhalm.

I managed to get three rare blades so far

P.S Pyra for Smash!!!

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Do i have to bother with the poppi upgrades? its quite overwhelming and the mini game is annoying.
You can pretty much ignore it unless you want to use Tora for the superbosses or challenge mode.

Also do i have to wait for the Chain combo to unlock? saw a video that using + when the three bars is charged should start it but doesnt do it for me, Ive just got to meet Vanhalm.
The Chain Attack mechanic should unlock soon.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
What's up with Gormott's field having insanely high enemies for such an early part of the game? I'm trying to do some sidequests but I keep triggering enemies that kill me way too quick. Am I supposed to just stick with the main story for now and just try to complete areas later on?

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Gormott's field having insanely high enemies for such an early part of the game? I'm trying to do some sidequests but I keep triggering enemies that kill me way too quick. Am I supposed to just stick with the main story for now and just try to complete areas later on?
There are sections of each titan with high leveled enemies that you're not expected to explore for sidequests until later on.

From what I can remember, if you're getting a sidequest early on that puts you near a much higher leveled enemy than your party, there should typically be another path to the quest destination with enemies close to you level.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

If you got the side quest, you probably can do it, just like TheGreatLugia said.

Also, this thing about way stronger monsters attacking you happens in all Xenoblade games. Some people like it, because it makes you slightly nervous while traversing the map; some people hate it. If I'm not mistaken, Monolith even added an option to Xenoblade 2 where you can avoid being detected by monsters? Maybe it was included in the DLC? Not sure, maybe one of the guys can clarify it.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
If you got the side quest, you probably can do it, just like TheGreatLugia said.

Also, this thing about way stronger monsters attacking you happens in all Xenoblade games. Some people like it, because it makes you slightly nervous while traversing the map; some people hate it. If I'm not mistaken, Monolith even added an option to Xenoblade 2 where you can avoid being detected by monsters? Maybe it was included in the DLC? Not sure, maybe one of the guys can clarify it.
Yes! You can toggle off enemy aggro ranges. I think it worked for every regular enemy as I had it on for most of the game and postgame. But bosses and such after cutscenes I don't think so.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Finally beat the game after a week of playing. It's the first Switch game I bought after I got my system last week.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
There are sections of each titan with high leveled enemies that you're not expected to explore for sidequests until later on.

From what I can remember, if you're getting a sidequest early on that puts you near a much higher leveled enemy than your party, there should typically be another path to the quest destination with enemies close to you level.

Yeah, I had enemy aggro turned off but unique enemies still target you. Some of them are really fast and aggro you from pretty far away so you really have to be careful. At the same time I don't really like having that setting on because it sorta breaks the game depending where you are (like I was on that warship in Gormott at the end of Chapter 2 and it was silly to just run past all the guards). It also probably has the potential to underlevel me if I avoid a lot of fights along the way so I'll probably turn it off.

Also, is there some way to have my teammates shut the hell up during combat?

Finally beat the game after a week of playing. It's the first Switch game I bought after I got my system last week.

Damn, you beat it in a week? I thought this was supposed to be a long game!

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Also, is there some way to have my teammates shut the hell up during combat?

Damn, you beat it in a week? I thought this was supposed to be a long game!

I played with the English VA and I had to turn down the voices in the system settings. I thought Persona games were bad with in-battle voices, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 takes it up a whole other level.

And unlike the advice people just gave you in this thread (i.e. don't rush it), I rushed through the game and beat it in about 43 hours. I've never written a LTTP topic before, but I'm seriously considering writing one. However, it seems everyone already knows about XBC2 and have their opinions about it already.

How are you enjoying your experience with it? It's ironic actually, I was thinking of Tales of Vesperia first but I couldn't find a copy so I got XBC2 first.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Ok I'm in chapter 2 trying to do a sidequest and in like level 16 and I keep dying suddenly. First I thought it was that I was running into a high level mob (didn't even get a chance to see the mob cause they would one hit me) but then I found some level 9 red volfes and I'd get in a fight, health fine. And then I would suddenly die (like the main character). I notice every single time it puts a timer on the left screen that seems to start when I die and counts the seconds from there and the last time it happened something hit me for 5000 damage. I even tried a different blade last time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm in chapter 2 trying to do a sidequest and in like level 16 and I keep dying suddenly. First I thought it was that I was running into a high level mob (didn't even get a chance to see the mob cause they would one hit me) but then I found some level 9 red volfes and I'd get in a fight, health fine. And then I would suddenly die (like the main character). I notice every single time it puts a timer on the left screen that seems to start when I die and counts the seconds from there and the last time it happened something hit me for 5000 damage. I even tried a different blade last time.

The timer is how long the AI has to resurrect you using the party gauge before it resets you to a checkpoint.

5000 damage sure sounds like something high level though, could you be drawing Territorial Rottbart's attention?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The timer is how long the AI has to resurrect you using the party gauge before it resets you to a checkpoint.

5000 damage sure sounds like something high level though, could you be drawing Territorial Rottbart's attention?

There's only volffes around. I tried again and killed the level 8 and then the 9 ran over and one shotted me again. To be fair I'm still getting the hang of this game. This is the second time I've tried it and I literally am at the spot in the story I last got to but this time I do think I understand things a little better (still a little unclear about special combos) but then this happens making me totally confused on what I'm not getting. I like the game overal, just a bit confused by combat.

Oh, I'm in the plains around torigoth. Trying to get to the guy that needs rescuing in a tree.

Edit: maybe it is some mob coming I don't see as I just took out two level 10 and one level 9 volfe but in a slightly different area.

Last edited:

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? That mechanic is only in Xenoblade X. They're talking about the Unique Monster clock.

Tigress Basically, if you get in a fight with a unique monster, a clock will appear. It's kinda like a challenge thing to see how fast you can beat them. Almost certainly it's Territorial Rotbart spotting you.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What? That mechanic is only in Xenoblade X. They're talking about the Unique Monster clock.

Tigress Basically, if you get in a fight with a unique monster, a clock will appear. It's kinda like a challenge thing to see how fast you can beat them. Almost certainly it's Territorial Rotbart spotting you.

Wait really?

I've played through both Xenoblade 2 and Torna and somehow forgot/never realised this.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
There's only volffes around. I tried again and killed the level 8 and then the 9 ran over and one shotted me again. To be fair I'm still getting the hang of this game. This is the second time I've tried it and I literally am at the spot in the story I last got to but this time I do think I understand things a little better (still a little unclear about special combos) but then this happens making me totally confused on what I'm not getting. I like the game overal, just a bit confused by combat.

Oh, I'm in the plains around torigoth. Trying to get to the guy that needs rescuing in a tree.

Edit: maybe it is some mob coming I don't see as I just took out two level 10 and one level 9 volfe but in a slightly different area.

The timer is for unique/hard monsters. The area in the Gormott plains you're at has a unique Volffe (Level 9, but powerful) and a Level 81 giant monster, whose name I forgot at the moment. Just be wary of them and rescue the kid in the tree, maybe try running to the tree with a different route/path to avoid the unique Volffe.

So far, so good. I just started Chapter 3 so I'm still early in the game.

I would recommend Vesperia, another great JRPG!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when the game restocks around here. I never got far with the game a decade ago.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
4 hours in, reached Toragoth. Dying doesn't make you lose anything right? Just causes you to respawn and also seems to respawn all the collection points and enemies?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Is the option to turn off enemy aggro tied to the expansion pass? Death is a slap on the wrist but it's annoying to fight stuff I can beat only for some bird 30 levels higher than me to show up and kill me.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning to pick this up now that we know the other big Switch RPGs are coming in the second half of the year.

A few questions:

-I keep hearing that the various post-releases patches really improved the game, but also that a lot of that only impacts new game +. How should I approach the game? Should I try to simply clear it on the first run and then play more exhaustively on the new game + run?
-Is this likely to go on sale? Or should I just bite the bullet on the $90 bundle on the eShop?
-While researching the game, I watched the character trailer without knowing it contained spoilers. Roughly how far into the game does it spoil (in terms of hours)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygax_f4e5a8
-Is there anything else I should know going in or any specific faqs I should read/watch before I start my run?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personal view on the questions:

- Just enjoy the first run without too much thought about the more indepth stuff and some of the blades, it's a fun ride and the game give what you need to finish it
- Nintendo and sales are two things that rarely go together and if there will be a sale, don't expect the price to drop below the €/$40 for the base game, I think the DLC was once on sale for €/$20, but don't quote me on that
- From what I remember going by the trailer, it shows stuff mostly from the first three chapters (of total ten) with a few very short snippets of later chapters. You're mostly spoiler free going in I'd say.
- Download the Japanese voice pack for free if you're into that, other than that, I can't think of much you have to know. Playing the original before is fully optional.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Personal view on the questions:

- Just enjoy the first run without too much thought about the more indepth stuff and some of the blades, it's a fun ride and the game give what you need to finish it
- Nintendo and sales are two things that rarely go together and if there will be a sale, don't expect the price to drop below the €/$40 for the base game, I think the DLC was once on sale for €/$20, but don't quote me on that
- From what I remember going by the trailer, it shows stuff mostly from the first three chapters (of total ten) with a few very short snippets of later chapters. You're mostly spoiler free going in I'd say.
- Download the Japanese voice pack for free if you're into that, other than that, I can't think of much you have to know. Playing the original before is fully optional.
Thanks! That's everything I wanted to known.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, talk about a fast turn around on this game. Starting to get really tired of this bullshit MMO design. I'm fighting a level 18 giant bird unique enemy, slaying it, what's that? Two little fuckers come and it's too much to handle. Okay, try again and move it further away. Everything going well until oh ANOTHER RANDOM LEVEL 22 BIRD FROM NOWHERE APPEARS AND I DIE AGAIN.

Seriously how the fuck do I turn off aggro from enemies higher leveled than me? This isn't fun... like at all, ever, and if I wanted an MMO lite RPG, I would just replay FFXII.