• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trashing all common blades lol but I may have some. Is there any reason why
Brighid can't burn them? I've been pretty much using Morag ever since she joined.

It's because her fire mastery isn't high enough. When you attempt to burn it it'll say level 4 or 5 required. If the blade you're using only has level 3 fire mastery, it will fail. But the check counts fire mastery across all your equipped blades so just equip commons with fire mastery until you meet the requirements.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Guys I really need help. I'm lost in chapter 7 and I can't find where to progress.

so in the spirit crucible I killed that optional spider boss but I can't burn the web behind it and hell I can't burn any webs at all and can't progress. My fire mastery with Brighid keeps on failing and wind mastery with Roc as well. Do I need to go this way? I'm lost, I'm pissed off, and I'm losing my patience here. This place is straight up awful. I can't find ANYWHERE to progress and you're telling me I need to get those stats up when I haven't really been focusing on that up to this point? Jesus.
You should be able to go around. Try running across the poison river to the left.

I didn't burn the web since I didn't meet the requirements.

EDIT: Actually, thinking back, I don't remember how I got past (to be fair, it was 120 hours ago XD). So ignore this post.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trashing all common blades lol but I may have some. Is there any reason why
Brighid can't burn them? I've been pretty much using Morag ever since she joined.

Her fire mastery mustn't be high enough, adding common cores with the fire mastery skill is the only way I guess. I don't even remember that part to be honest. Rule of thumb, don't throw away common blades unless they really are trash (no field skills or battle skill % boosters), I made the same mistake but much earlier in the game and had to farm common cores to get the blades I wanted. I still use some of them even now to get past high stat check areas, there is a blade with a side quest where you eventually need to have a total of 9 mastery for certain field skills, common cores have their use!

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'll echo what everyone has said here, don't sell common cores!

I was in the exact same situation in Chapter 7, I'd been selling common cores and came unstuck.

It is frustrating - I was livid at the time - but you get so many cores and you even get nudged into using common blades via merc missions. I had no one to blame but myself.

But I think you could also argue that merc missions can be largely ignored and, a couple of instances aside, you don't need field skills at all in the main story until that point.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The rare blade grind is killing me. I've 6 left to go and I've been opening rare and legendary cores with a character with over 800 luck. I've not gotten a rare blade in over 100 cores. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or just incredibly unlucky.
Are you using boosters? Do you have high idea points? In my anecdotal experience, it seems like boosters and idea points have a much bigger effect than luck. But no one really knows for sure how it works yet.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Finally got all the rare blades. Was using #5 with 999 Luck and 9/9/9/9 idea stats and boosters for the last 3 blades. Took around 200 legendary cores (didn't bother with common or rares.)

I'm already max level, so I'm going to finish up all the side quests and then trust grind to max out all the blades. Then again I'm only still playing this to bide my time for MHW, so let's see how much I get done till next weekend!

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving this game so far, chapter 3. My biggest gripe so far is using the stupid trope of defeating an enemy to only then have him basically defeat you in a cutscene. It's such a cheap thing to do, I wailed on someone, hardly got hurt and then magically he overpowers me after I beat him?

Question though on blades, is it best to just summon with 5 of whatever group each time?

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using boosters? Do you have high idea points? In my anecdotal experience, it seems like boosters and idea points have a much bigger effect than luck. But no one really knows for sure how it works yet.

Yeah I'm using 5 boosters and my idea points are 9s and 8s. Can they go higher? I think I just incredibly unlucky

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
95H just finished the story... loved the game. Not perfect by any mean but as someone who has a hard time finishing his single players games for quite some times now, this game sucked me in from beginning to end, and I still want to do secondary ( already did a bunch )/post game stuff.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm using 5 boosters and my idea points are 9s and 8s. Can they go higher? I think I just incredibly unlucky
Yeah that sounds unlucky. Max idea points is 10 but I never reached that myself. Your stats all seem in line with what my own stats were.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I hope it works out better for you in the future.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I have a tinsy little problem. I'm new to the Xenoblade games and I kinda didn't get some of the combat tips when the tutorials popped up. Is there some way to see those again? I feel like im doing the same thing each time I engage combat and not getting the full potential of my team, equipment, arts etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really want to play this game but I don't wanna buy a switch for one game...yet. Been craving a JRPG for awhile now, going through Berseria and the combat/environments/loot just haven't clicked for me. Never played a Xeno game before tho.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone!

Been playing the game for a week, now at beginning of Ch.3. Having a real goodtime, is good to have Xenoblade back into my life, and as no less than my daily commute game (not really the best imho since i occasionally spend a full bus ride navigating menus or fighting a rare monster), what a world we live in!
I obviously have a few questions of course:
-any tips on Cores opening? I've already opened a few common ones and of course it was generic Blades; i know its a gacha system so its really tied to luck, but is there any way to easen the chance of finding a Rare Blade?
-any tips on equipment and Aux Cores? I've been vaguely equipping things that make sense to the character roles like improved stats or + damage to skills, but i see there are more things like bond level or similar stuff, what are they for? Whats really good to wear?
-Roles: i've been using the trio (Rex, Nia and Tora) as their pre assigned role, and i want to make Rex ATK/ATK/HLR, Nia HLR/HLR/HLR and Tora DEF/DEF/ATK; don't know the rest of the party, but i'll probably build another tank and team it up with Rex and Nia;
-i've been slowly grasping the basics of combat, and i manage to run Blade Combos, but is there a more precise way to know when the other party members will be able to launch the next step? I'm always staring at their side icon waiting for an A to pop up;
-I've seen there are other types of combos, like one that uses the Party Gauge, an elemental one and so on. Will those be introduced later? I can't seem to be able to run them now;
-what about Poppi? Do i really have to farm the shit out of Tiger!Tiger? And what are some good setups? Looks like there alone there i a lot to experiment with

Few notes:
-story is pretty basic anime tropes atm, some aspects remind me of a manga i read as a kid (Elemental Gelade iirc), so nothing surprising but also not offensive, but i trust Takahashi in turning the things up halfway through;
-Tora having a maid fetish is A+;
-the world is so, so beautiful;
-the graphics IQ in portable mode (my only mode) are awful, like, barely better than a Vita game sometimes :(
-i hate having to physically move around to pick up objects;
-in general i feel like the game is missing a lot of QoL stuff;

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Okay so I have a tinsy little problem. I'm new to the Xenoblade games and I kinda didn't get some of the combat tips when the tutorials popped up. Is there some way to see those again? I feel like im doing the same thing each time I engage combat and not getting the full potential of my team, equipment, arts etc.

Unfortunately, there's no way to view them again, which is pretty terrible and should be rectified in the future. Until then, I suggest reading the front page of this thread and using the Switch's screenshot function in the future.

I don't know how far in you are, but the game continues to introduce new systems/elements all the way up to the end.

Feel free to ask any questions and I (and people much smarter than myself) will do our best to help, :)

Man I really want to play this game but I don't wanna buy a switch for one game...yet. Been craving a JRPG for awhile now, going through Berseria and the combat/environments/loot just haven't clicked for me. Never played a Xeno game before tho.

It's a game that's rough around the edges, incredibly complex and not for everyone. You might fall in love with the characters, the humour and story - but it's not for everyone.

It has real flaws and for some, they're enough to totally ruin the experience.

I adore the game and I do genuinely think there's a lot to like, but I have a Xenoblade avatar, so I'm obviously biased. :P

There's plenty to enjoy on the Switch though, you should pick one up anyway!

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone!

Been playing the game for a week, now at beginning of Ch.3. Having a real goodtime, is good to have Xenoblade back into my life, and as no less than my daily commute game (not really the best imho since i occasionally spend a full bus ride navigating menus or fighting a rare monster), what a world we live in!
-any tips on Cores opening? I've already opened a few common ones and of course it was generic Blades; i know its a gacha system so its really tied to luck, but is there any way to easen the chance of finding a Rare Blade?
-any tips on equipment and Aux Cores? I've been vaguely equipping things that make sense to the character roles like improved stats or + damage to skills, but i see there are more things like bond level or similar stuff, what are they for? Whats really good to wear?
-Roles: i've been using the trio (Rex, Nia and Tora) as their pre assigned role, and i want to make Rex ATK/ATK/HLR, Nia HLR/HLR/HLR and Tora DEF/DEF/ATK; don't know the rest of the party, but i'll probably build another tank and team it up with Rex and Nia;
-i've been slowly grasping the basics of combat, and i manage to run Blade Combos, but is there a more precise way to know when the other party members will be able to launch the next step? I'm always staring at their side icon waiting for an A to pop up;
-I've seen there are other types of combos, like one that uses the Party Gauge, an elemental one and so on. Will those be introduced later? I can't seem to be able to run them now;

Few notes:
-story is pretty basic anime tropes atm, some aspects remind me of a manga i read as a kid (Elemental Gelade iirc), so nothing surprising but also not offensive, but i trust Takahashi in turning the things up halfway through;
-the graphics IQ in portable mode (my only mode) are awful, like, barely better than a Vita game sometimes :(
Quick note on Tora: he doesn't get access to a 3rd blade until late game.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Hey everyone!

-what about Poppi? Do i really have to farm the shit out of Tiger!Tiger? And what are some good setups? Looks like there alone there i a lot to experiment with

Few notes:
1) Don't worry about finding rare cores. They will show up in chests and from killing runique monsters. There will be plenty of chances to get them. Plus there are a number of blades you can obtain via side quests as well as the story, so again don't sweat it. Only general recommendation I have is to not open a bunch of cores on Rex for story reasons.
2) Since you're early in the game accessories and six cores don't matter that much. Just equip damage buffs on Rex and agro holding stuff on Tora. As long as Tora is holding agro then you're good.
3) You should have them stick to their generic roles. Go full attack on Rex and healer on Nia.
4) You will get it naturally, but you can look at the white circles around the element /avatar icon for party members. The more white dots that are there means the level of blade combo they have ready, giving you an idea of how close they are to the level you want.
5) Everything gets introduced over time. Just don't skip the tutorials because there's no easy way to go back and check them. Make sure you understand the gist of what they are saying.
6) Yes, Poppi can only be upgrades with core chips and through a Tiger Tiger. It's a pain in the ass to fully upgrade her and there's no point in trying until you have the final level unlocked as unique drops can only be found there. Final level unlocks late game.

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 4 over.
Morag just joined my party.
It sucks how much I love her and want to use her, but without a tank I feel like I will get wrecked. Plus, Poppi is just about my favorite blade in design and personality...but her driver annoys me. Wow. I can't believe I actually can't remember his name right now.

Am I at a good spot yet where I can salvage for rare cores? I only have about 3 rare blades from cores so far that weren't given by story, and feel like I'm at a point I want a bit more....especially for merc missions and such.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 4 over.
Morag just joined my party.
It sucks how much I love her and want to use her, but without a tank I feel like I will get wrecked. Plus, Poppi is just about my favorite blade in design and personality...but her driver annoys me. Wow. I can't believe I actually can't remember his name right now.

Am I at a good spot yet where I can salvage for rare cores? I only have about 3 rare blades from cores so far that weren't given by story, and feel like I'm at a point I want a bit more....especially for merc missions and such.
But she is a tank.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
They game did pretty well on USA (8th game top game by revenue in 2017)

Also still 3 blades to go... Saw Dahlia and Agate silouettes but only in the first roll :( Will they come soon?

Oct 26, 2017
Morag is a tank.
mrw-i-find-an-onion-ring-in-with-my-fries-55494.gif

Nero

Jan 18, 2018
I can't stop playing this game. 160 hours into it, but I'm slowly working on the side quests and blade affinities just so that the game doesn't end.
You don't need to pass any field checks to get past the spider web. There's another path that takes you above the web and through to the room behind it.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuck on Ursula's quest. How do I unlock the level 3 lessons? Right now I only have up to Vocal/Looks/Soul Lesson 2 unlocked and level 3 isn't appearing so I can't progress every skill to level 3 or 4.

Nero

Jan 18, 2018
Stuck on Ursula's quest. How do I unlock the level 3 lessons? Right now I only have up to Vocal/Looks/Soul Lesson 2 unlocked and level 3 isn't appearing so I can't progress every skill to level 3 or 4.
I think you need to collect a certain number of stamps to unlock the next lesson. Maybe 20 or so?

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Environments in Xenoblade games are pretty much the best in class, where by class I mean "all of videogames". The music in this game in particular is among the greatest game OSTs ever made.

Everything else is all over the place, sadly. The game gets better as it takes the training wheels off, but that takes many many hours. I'd score it in the mid-high 80s

(e: the mid vs high part depends on the results of the last blade summoning session)

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
Update 1.2 is live.
Patch notes on bug fixes and QoL from Nintendo Everything:
  • Fixed an issue in which parts set to a specific Skill RAM failed to provide their intended effects.
  • Adjusted the Gormott regular quest "The Riddle on the Wall" to make it completable regardless of player progression in the main story.
  • Adjusted Finch's Blade Quest "Birds of a Feather" to make it completable regardless of player progression in the main story.
  • Fixed an issue in Agate's Blade Quest "Precious Yearnings" preventing quest progression.
  • Added functionality to allow players to receive the first round of quests and the second round of items associated with the Expansion Pass.
  • Voiced segments in menus can now be skipped with the A or B button.

We can finally avoiding hearing "Just remember to have fun!" and "Hey, this is cold!" for the millionth time:)

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, who did anyone pick for that
job interview quest for the Mercenaries? I doubt it matters, but find myself stuck between the first girl who seems to have a good attitude and the dude who clearly has some finance knowledge, but clearly doesn't intend on sticking around forever.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Finally got past. Thanks for the advice guys and it appears now that field skills are essential to move on. Hopefully it won't be too annoying. Chapter 7 huge spoilers below.

oh my god I knew Nia's form would be something cool and it appears she's a flesh eater which is just amazing! That cutscene after the wave of phantasms was crazy!!!! Loved it so much and Nia is such a boss. I love her new look and weapon. I'm currently saved at the Malos fight. Hopefully he's gonna be easy cause I hate the bastard. He's so arrogant and a pompous arse to boot. I'm curious though since we did see a glimpse of her form after Bana dies.... why didn't Nial tell the party about Nia?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The added option to skip the voiced segments is brilliant, I just wish they could shorten the core bonding process now...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
1) Don't worry about finding rare cores. They will show up in chests and from killing runique monsters. There will be plenty of chances to get them. Plus there are a number of blades you can obtain via side quests as well as the story, so again don't sweat it. Only general recommendation I have is to not open a bunch of cores on Rex for story reasons.
2) Since you're early in the game accessories and six cores don't matter that much. Just equip damage buffs on Rex and agro holding stuff on Tora. As long as Tora is holding agro then you're good.
3) You should have them stick to their generic roles. Go full attack on Rex and healer on Nia.
4) You will get it naturally, but you can look at the white circles around the element /avatar icon for party members. The more white dots that are there means the level of blade combo they have ready, giving you an idea of how close they are to the level you want.
5) Everything gets introduced over time. Just don't skip the tutorials because there's no easy way to go back and check them. Make sure you understand the gist of what they are saying.
6) Yes, Poppi can only be upgrades with core chips and through a Tiger Tiger. It's a pain in the ass to fully upgrade her and there's no point in trying until you have the final level unlocked as unique drops can only be found there. Final level unlocks late game.

1) welp i immediately found my first RB after the post lol. Its the psycho chick with the gun, sadly its on Nia but since its early game i'll let her keep it because its cooooool!
2-5) Will see how this pans out, thanks
6) Jeez, but luckily i found out that 4th party member (i already know who is it as if it wasnt obvious enough) is a tank as well, so i think i wont push Poppi much further :^)

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
1) welp i immediately found my first RB after the post lol. Its the psycho chick with the gun, sadly its on Nia but since its early game i'll let her keep it because its cooooool!
2-5) Will see how this pans out, thanks
6) Jeez, but luckily i found out that 4th party member (i already know who is it as if it wasnt obvious enough) is a tank as well, so i think i wont push Poppi much further :^)
Guns use Ether which Nia specializes in, so that's a pretty good pick up for her.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blade voice skip has made Merc Missions more bearable. I only wish this update was up when I had to repeat a certain someones' side quests over and over.

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine has probably found a sequence break with no way out. In chapter 2 after rescuing Nia he jumped out of the hatch were he got in first instead of just following the compass. Now there seems to be no way in anymore, fast travel into the ship is deactivated, the door to the cargo room is obviously locked and there seems to be no way back at the root either.

Anyone has an idea what he could do?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
With regards to the rare blade quests, are any of them actually worth doing?

I mean, I don't mind the games normal side quests as it feels they explore and add to the world. But so far the rare blade quests seem pretty... bad. Electra involves a series of really silly field test challenges in all the towns. Adenine requires me to spend on some books (although there's a hint more lore will become available through this). So far they don't seem amazing content? Or am I just unlucky in the blade quests I've activated?

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine has probably found a sequence break with no way out. In chapter 2 after rescuing Nia he jumped out of the hatch were he got in first instead of just following the compass. Now there seems to be no way in anymore, fast travel into the ship is deactivated, the door to the cargo room is obviously locked and there seems to be no way back at the root either.

I did the same thing exiting the hatch... since you know.. why not leave how you came in... you can fast travel back into the ship.

Oct 27, 2017

The fast travel can be very glitchy, especially when you have lots of icons displayed on the map. Try disabling all the icons (scroll through with the shoulder buttons on the fast travel screen and click X) and then try fast travelling again.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard people talk about Ursula's merc missions but had to experience it for myself... this is fucking awful.