• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It always kind of confused me because he talks several times throughout the game about wanting to keep his promise to Lora, which I guess is just to live on as long as possible so as to not forget her, which is why he keeps working to heal himself and extend his life despite actually just wanting to die, but him working with Malos is also in direct opposition to that promise. The Torna dlc didn't really do much to clear that up

I thought he talked more about his promise to Malos; even when Malos points out that Lora would be against what Jin is doing, Jin responds that he still has his promise to Malos to fulfill. Also Rex figures that Jin didn't really want to die despite Malos's belief that he did, and that he really just wanted to connect with Malos.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe about half way, but the game makes a really bad design choice when you get to the town and forces you to do a lot of side quests so.
I already did some thing where I had to get some provisions and find some kid(s). Is that the side quests you're talking about? I just fixed a bridge.

The other part of your post already got answered so I'll just address this: you don't need to memorize it. You can tell if an element leads down a true combo path if it has a unique name show up in the combo request instead of "[element] I/II/III".
Hm, not exactly sure what you mean (I played the full game for 100+ hours and mastered the battle system). Do you mean where it displays the combo at the top right or???

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I already did some thing where I had to get some provisions and find some kid(s). Is that the side quests you're talking about? I just fixed a bridge.

Hm, not exactly sure what you mean (I played the full game for 100+ hours and mastered the battle system). Do you mean where it displays the combo at the top right or???

When you can press ZL or ZR to have one of your team mates continue a blade combo, you'll see one of two things - either 'Fire III' or 'Steam Explosion' for example.

If it's 'Fire III' it means they will use a level three fire special. If it says 'Steam Explosion' that's because you've executed a true combo route.

Basically once someone has started a blade combo, look for names, they represent true combo routes.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017

They mean the name at the bottom of the screen for your next move or the ZL/ZR moves your allies can use. Take Light>Light>Light, its combo path goes Photon>Gamma ray>Supernova. However if you did Fire>Light>Light you would get Heat>Photon II> Photon III. As you see true paths have unique names for each blade combo stage while normal paths just have [Stage 1] I/II/III.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
When you can press ZL or ZR to have one of your team mates continue a blade combo, you'll see one of two things - either 'Fire III' or 'Steam Explosion' for example.

If it's 'Fire III' it means they will use a level three fire special. If it says 'Steam Explosion' that's because you've executed a true combo route.

Basically once someone has started a blade combo, look for names, they represent true combo routes.

They mean the name at the bottom of the screen for your next move or the ZL/ZR moves your allies can use. Take Light>Light>Light, its combo path goes Photon>Gamma ray>Supernova. However if you did Fire>Light>Light you would get Heat>Photon II> Photon III. As you see true paths have unique names for each blade combo stage while normal paths just have [Stage 1] I/II/III.

Awesome thanks to you both that will be a huge help!!

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game in 27 hours. The second I finished watching the ending scene, I already want to start playing NG+ for the main game... But I will go after the bosses first.

BTW, I saw people mentioning a nopon called Halfsage. Where is he?

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the main game a lot but this is not really clicking after 3 hours.

The pacing is quite awful with constant tutorial/cutscene/textbox interruptions and putting up Gormoth - a map we all know from the main game - as the first big map was quite a disappointment. Also the fact that most quests are boring fetch quests isn't helping matters.

The story doesn't really seem to be all that interesting so far either. I like Lora a lot but her arc was resolved pretty quickly and I actually don't know what the goal of the story is. Run around aimlessly and find malos?

Sorry don't mean to be the party pooper but i'm Really underwhelmed by the content so far

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the main game a lot but this is not really clicking after 3 hours.

The pacing is quite awful with constant tutorial/cutscene/textbox interruptions and putting up Gormoth - a map we all know from the main game - as the first big map was quite a disappointment. Also the fact that most quests are boring fetch quests isn't helping matters.

The story doesn't really seem to be all that interesting so far either. I like Lora a lot but her arc was resolved pretty quickly and I actually don't know what the goal of the story is. Run around aimlessly and find malos?

Sorry don't mean to be the party pooper but i'm Really underwhelmed by the content so far
Huh. The story pick up quickly after that.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, now that I think about he probably also feels like he could have helped or at least tried to help him from going into a dark path too.
I do like the sub themes of how blades and drivers are all about the relationships, abuse is very much a thing that happens, the game especially in the torna DLC show just how many relationships there are, some have a parent/child relationship, some are just platonic, some are clearly romantic, some treat their blades as pets and some even just treat them as meat shields.
But monolifth does a good job making them feel like more than everyones secret sex slaves

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Just completed the game and wow.....that ending man....kinda glad
they didn't show lora die again here. It would've killed me T.T

Incredible main game + torna. Sad it's over. Can't wait for what's next with monolith.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Alright. I'm now on the quest to level 4 community... That being said, I really don't mind being forced to do the sidequests, for I really like the characters and just enjoy watching them interact. Plus, the sidequests have, so far, been pretty good (Definitely better than the normal sidequests in the main game).

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Just finished the campaign, I just wanted to ask if there are any bonuses unlocked in the main game or it's new game plus and post game stuff for Torna?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It took 24 hours, but I finished it.
Gort's whole glorified cutscene battle felt awkwardly tacked on, as if to try and remind the player that this is Lora's game, but it's like, after GIANT ROBOT BATTLE, it's sort of anticlimactic.

Also boy does this expansion make Mikhail's entrance in Xenoblade 2 super awkward and weird, although maybe it explains his reactions later on? His reaction to Mythra at the end of Torna, where he's mad and scared of her, compared to his reaction in chapter 4 where he's all "wow she's bee-you-tee-ful" when shes literally shooting lasers from the sky...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am still annoyed that the game never explained how Lora got Haze. I mean, the whole thing with her being so poor that she couldn't afford another sword and she got Jin purely by accident, but the story never explained how she got a second extremely powerful Blade that can gimped other Blades. Even worse, the game kinda lampshade this with Haze saying that Jin was Lora's favorite.

I mean, it didn't even need to be anything complex. She could have just gotten Haze from a Common Crystal lying around like in the main game and got lucky with a Rare Blade.
Just like jin, its possible to completely run across a extremely rare and powerful blade, hell jin was a royal blade and ended up in a poor girls hands.
Infact the game pushes the ides thst you can get a rare blade from a common core that you found on some random low level monster

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Gort's whole glorified cutscene battle felt awkwardly tacked on, as if to try and remind the player that this is Lora's game, but it's like, after GIANT ROBOT BATTLE, it's sort of anticlimactic.

Also boy does this expansion make Mikhail's entrance in Xenoblade 2 super awkward and weird, although maybe it explains his reactions later on? His reaction to Mythra at the end of Torna, where he's mad and scared of her, compared to his reaction in chapter 4 where he's all "wow she's bee-you-tee-ful" when shes literally shooting lasers from the sky...
oh yeah I'd forgotten about that.
That's really weird.
Did Her and mikhail have any interactions in the base game, or acknowledge each other?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just like jin, its possible to completely run across a extremely rare and powerful blade, hell jin was a royal blade and ended up in a poor girls hands.
Infact the game pushes the ides thst you can get a rare blade from a common core that you found on some random low level monster

I wouldn't have a problem if that was the explanation. The problem was, the game never bothered with even that. We can only assumed she got Haze from a lucky core crystal she found while searching for food. Also, Jin wasn't an accident, him being powerful anyway. He was a stole crystal that Lin accidentally awakened.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

It is somewhat awkward but don't forget he hadn't seen her in 500 years. He was a brat kid when he first knew her too so he probably wasn't thinking about her like that
oh yeah I'd forgotten about that.
That's really weird.
Did Her and mikhail have any interactions in the base game, or acknowledge each other?

I think they had minimal interaction

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game. I'm sad to finally be done with Xenoblade 2. What a great game! Can't wait for what Monolithsoft does next!

Regarding Mikhail I did not figure out that he was in the base game until the very end. Doh!

And regarding the ending:

Why didn't they show Lora's death? With such a "happy" ending in Xenoblade 2 I would have liked the opposite in Torna. We know she was killed in that attack, but why wasn't it shown? Would have been heartbreaking.

Also, I was reading that Addam had a wife and kid? How did I completely overlook this. What the heck ever happened to them?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Just finished the game. I'm sad to finally be done with Xenoblade 2. What a great game! Can't wait for what Monolithsoft does next!

Regarding Mikhail I did not figure out that he was in the base game until the very end. Doh!

Why didn't they show Lora's death? With such a "happy" ending in Xenoblade 2 I would have liked the opposite in Torna. We know she was killed in that attack, but why wasn't it shown? Would have been heartbreaking.

Also, I was reading that Addam had a wife and kid? How did I completely overlook this. What the heck ever happened to them?

the way this prequel was done reminds me how creators do prequels sometimes in movies.

butI think the ending is depressing enough already, this is Lora's story I wouldn't want to see her crushed again

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

The ending was already pretty damn sad, and they likely didn't want to repeat every plot point from the main game.

Addam reveals he has a pregnant wife in one of the last side quests. Given the hints that Rex is descended from Addam, they likely made it to Leftheria.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently level 40, and so far everything has been sort of slow.

I'm still in Torna, needing to cross the desert. But there's no sense of urgency, and nothing has really "picked up", so to say.

I really enjoyed Xeno 2 and I'm enjoying Torna, but gosh is it annoying to sift through all the menus and the requirements to get skills, and all that.

Also the terminology is so confusing. I beat Xeno 2 without knowing how affinity worked, or how even knowing the name of most things. I'm not sure what a blade combo is. I'm not sure what specials are.

I'm not even sure what some stats do. I just press the buttons to keep stacking things and hope for the best.

Still having trouble figuring out what elements should each character have, because most attacks just end up with "Element III". Does it matter?

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017

Her death was shown in the main game, but other main game flashback scenes had their visuals redone for Torna so I'm not sure why it wasn't shown again here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In some ways I liked Torna a lot. I really liked the sidequests and the community, and the design of the world was great.

But the story was a big fat bunch of nothing and nearly the whole game was just forced sidequests. I liked the sidequests mind.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well torna fleshed out Addam who in XB2 was just some mysterious guy that was the driver of the aegis. Other than that though, yeah not a ton there. But it is DLC so expectations shouldn't be as great as if it were standalone

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I wanted more Addam, but I think the game did a good job of making him an actual character. Lora gets a little more fleshed out too, though I think she was underdeveloped generally.

Mythra and Jin are the bigger winners - the former more so. There's good character building in Torna but the main narrative is too truncated.

I said it a few pages back, but somewhere there's a draft of the plot for this game that is three times longer where Addam and co are chasing Malos across Alrest.

It's a fine addition to the lore of XC2, but in terms of story, it suffers for being DLC. I still loved it.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I had a really weird thing happen to me earlier today, I was fighting the first golden boss and after a while my music stopped playing, I could still hear character voices and sound effects ,but the music was tuned out. Sometimes it'd return for a second and then it'd be gone again.
I play in handheld mode so it's not an issue with my hdmi cable.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
So how does the DLC effect the main game or vice versa?

I had my switch stolen and so my save is gone. Does completing the dlc unlock anything in the main game? Does any thing accomplished in the main game effect the dlc?

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
a bit late to the party

already own xenoblade 2 and thinking about buying the physical version of Torna next.
i guess there is no difference between buying the season pass and the physical torna game in content?

sadly. i was already spoiled quite a bit but still looking forward to it

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So how does the DLC effect the main game or vice versa?

I had my switch stolen and so my save is gone. Does completing the dlc unlock anything in the main game? Does any thing accomplished in the main game effect the dlc?

There are bonus illustrations you can view, but that seems to be it.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
a bit late to the party

already own xenoblade 2 and thinking about buying the physical version of Torna next.
i guess there is no difference between buying the season pass and the physical torna game in content?

sadly. i was already spoiled quite a bit but still looking forward to it
The only difference is the standalone version of Torna boots from its own icon on the home menu and has separate save data, while the expansion pass version boots from XC2's title screen. Beating both the main game and Torna in the same save data unlocks 5 bonus/concept illustrations in the main game's event theater, and I'm not sure if that can be unlocked through the standalone version of Torna.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently level 50 and I think I'm getting closer to the end, am I in good shape level-wise for the final sequence?

I'm about to trigger the ceremony for Lora becoming knighted

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm up to the point right after
Malos attacked the capital and told us to meet him in the womb.
Is that the final part? Should I finish all sidequests before doing this?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Depends how many side quests you've already done - the decision will be taken away from you if you haven't done enough.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Just finished...

My feelings about this are mostly good, but there are a few things I'm not particularly positive about (mainly some of the characters). I'll start with the positives first. The cast, while given very little time to work with, was pretty likable. I don't think it topped the first game's chemistry, but it was still a nice group to romp around with and do sidequests. Plus, knowing that this was going to end badly really made me attached to them. This also made the inevitable deaths and conclusion hit pretty hard. Second, I enjoyed the battle system quite a bit. While I think I prefer the original's battle system, it was still engaging system to play with. Plus, getting to control everyone helped create a more visceral attachment to the characters, which is a strength this battle system has over the original in my view. Third, the sidequests in this game were superb. They were a lot more character driven, both in terms of the side characters and the main characters. Plus, having side-characters show up in multiple sidequests really helps give the world a sense of cohesion and builds a bond to the side-characters. Last, the world exploration, while not quite as varied or grand as the main game, was a lot more efficient, mostly due to the limited field skill options. There's also nice QoL improvements like being able to see what collection points give.

Now for the negatives... First, the game's pacing felt kinda all over the place. You had moments where they were dumping a lot of information on you and a lot going on, but then you'd also have really slow a chill moments too. I honestly think I would've preferred it if they just assumed everyone had played the main game first. That way, time that was put into redundant information could've went into building the characters instead. Speaking of the characters, I really wish they had taken time to flesh some of them out. Minoth, Haze, and all of Team Hugo feel particularly underdeveloped. I like all of them and think they had potential to become really interesting characters, but the game never really found the time to explore them in-depth, though I will say I don't think Minoth's case isn't as bad as the rest of them. I don't think they're bad characters (static doesn't equal bad), but it feels like there's lost potential there. As for Lora, I think she, much like Team Hugo, is pretty likable and has a lot of potential, but I don't think the arc with her father was particularly effective, which makes her feel a little out of place as a protagonist. I think she gets about as much of an arc/development as Morag, but in contrast, Morag didn't get as much spotlight and also had Brighid's arc complementing her, which evens things out in Morag's case. However, I do like how they have her interact with Mik; it really does a nice job setting up Mik's motivations in the main game. I think Milton did a nice job fufilling a similar purpose for Mythra, for he was largely the catalyst for Pyra's creation.

Speaking of Mythra, I'll talk about them for a bit... Generally, I like quite a bit what they did with the two of them; they may as well be the main characters of the game. Mythra, while her agency is quite reduced her, is still quite interesting and has a nice character arc. Not only that, they also did a good job showing how Mythra got into the state she was in in the main game; I think they did a great job with her. Likewise, I like Addam quite a bit. They did a good job portraying him as a great person, but still as someone ultimately not capable of preventing this tragedy. His role in shaping Mythra, and his actions after Torna's demise really helps flesh him out I think.

As for the villains (Gort, Malos, and Amalthus), I largely think they were serviceable, but nothing great. Gort is a solid villain, particularly for Lora, but I don't think he left much of an impact. He works alright as a villain, but I don't think he's particularly great. Likewise, Malos and Amalthus lost a lot of their nuance from the main game due to their time crunch. I think Malos was especially hurt in this regard, as his character and background were some of my favorite parts about him in the main game. I still think Malos is a pretty good villain, as his voice actor (English) still does a great job with the action scenes. However, I think some of his subtle lies had to be cut due to the nature of this expansion.

Overall, I enjoyed this expansion quite a bit, and I think its a nice way to conclude Xenoblade 2. There's some things I don't particularly like, but I still enjoy it nonetheless and will likely return to it in the future.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
After popping back to the main game to do Challenge Mode and assorted DLC side quests, I have to say I really appreciate TTGC's more concise maps.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I haven't played any Xenoblade game, would it make sense to jump in with this one?
Nope. The main game (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) is highly recommended before because a lot of basic things about the world and context are not properly introduced here. It's technically a stand alone but not a real stand alone.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 itself is OK without the other Xenoblade games though ;)

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I started this a week ago and played for an hour but due to IRL I was only able to pick it up again today. Another hour into it now and got a question.
Not sure if it was answered in the game before but... Rear Guard Arts, how do I use them or whats the deal with them?

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I started this a week ago and played for an hour but due to IRL I was only able to pick it up again today. Another hour into it now and got a question.
Not sure if it was answered in the game before but... Rear Guard Arts, how do I use them or whats the deal with them?
I believe they are used automatically by the A.I. Because of this, their cooldowns (Recharge) is more important as a the A.I will spam them as they come off cooldown.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I could finish the game at this point but I'm doing a few side quests and such. Torna is great but I really wish they didn't include Gormott. There are better areas from XB2.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just beat it this afternoon boy was that a blast, and I enjoyed the fleshing out of the sidequests, got all but the last 3 on community(2 require beating all superbosses I think). Really enjoyed it overall