• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I've been playing through the game and really enjoying it. Then, it happened again, a party wipe boss. This is my most hated feature in Xenoblade by far. There is no reason at all for you to be 4-5 levels ahead of a boss and have a good battle going against the mech just have 1 attack completely wipe the party every time. I got so frustrated that I switched to Octopath since I cannot progress in the game atm...

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Cross-posting this, because I was surprised when it happened. Spoiler tagging just in case.

Played Torna, in Chapter 1 still. I'm at level 40, and just got Emperor Hugo on my team...

...at level 15.

There are no bonus EXPs you can add at the campsites. And there are no extra EXPs...

I thought this expansion game would be similar to how the base game works, in that the EXPs you gain applies to newcomers in your party group.

TL;DR - You don't get additional EXPs when resting at campsites when you are overleveled and you get your first new member in your party really early in the game.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through the game and really enjoying it. Then, it happened again, a party wipe boss. This is my most hated feature in Xenoblade by far. There is no reason at all for you to be 4-5 levels ahead of a boss and have a good battle going against the mech just have 1 attack completely wipe the party every time. I got so frustrated that I switched to Octopath since I cannot progress in the game atm...
Have you been using the chain attack mechanic? If it is the boss I think it is, it is the key to surviving the full party wipes - if you learn the boss cues when it is about to use that attack, use a chain attack and you'll survive, undamaged.
The game doesn't explain it very well, but it's important to get a hang of it, because at one point being over leveled won't protect you.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Have you been using the chain attack mechanic? If it is the boss I think it is, it is the key to surviving the full party wipes - if you learn the boss cues when it is about to use that attack, use a chain attack and you'll survive, undamaged.
The game doesn't explain it very well, but it's important to get a hang of it, because at one point being over leveled won't protect you.

The timing never works to have a full bar and 3 elemental orbs.

I'll have near full health and the goliath with wipe the party; it's a dumb mechanic for artificial difficulty because it comes down to rng not tactics/skill/level.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The timing never works to have a full bar and 3 elemental orbs.

I'll have near full health and the goliath with wipe the party; it's a dumb mechanic for artificial difficulty because it comes down to rng not tactics/skill/level.
Shuffle around your party, make sure to improve your blades and drivers' skill trees, the weapons, too.
It seems hard, but once you learn how to get that full bar quickly, you'll tumble that thing hard!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I usually dont like DLC and only buy to support the developers but this one and MH Iceborne are on another level. it feels like it was made to reward the fans for their support and not to profit on such support.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I usually dont like DLC and only buy to support the developers but this one and MH Iceborne are on another level. it feels like it was made to reward the fans for their support and not to profit on such support.
Well it was made because it was supposed to be part of the main game but a sort of flashback thing in the middle didn't fit and they spun it out and expanded it. It's not as black and white as "this was made to milk people's wallets" and "they made this to say thank you."

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well it was made because it was supposed to be part of the main game but a sort of flashback thing in the middle didn't fit and they spun it out and expanded it. It's not as black and white as "this was made to milk people's wallets" and "they made this to say thank you."
I know, I am just talking about how it feels like after playing it.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Alright, I'm going to need help. I just don't know enough about the game at this stage.

I still cannot get bonus EXPs from campsites after I got a new party member joining my group.

I'm at a complete loss of what I need to do. Just push on with the story?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'm going to need help. I just don't know enough about the game at this stage.

I still cannot get bonus EXPs from campsites after I got a new party member joining my group.

I'm at a complete loss of what I need to do. Just push on with the story?

I'm not sure what's got you at a loss? If you use the rest option at a campsite you should be able to use bonus exps. Where exactly are you in the game?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm not sure what's got you at a loss? If you use the rest option at a campsite you should be able to use bonus exps. Where exactly are you in the game?
When I got Emperor Hugo to join my group and after Lora left the group, like really early in the game (Chapter 1). I battled the enemies and rested at the campsites, but I never see Emperor Hugo having bonus EXPs.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Currently going through this and i'm really enjoying it.
I have a some questions though:
- i've never seen someone smash an enemy, i mainly play with Addam Mythra/Minoth. I topple with Addam and then nothing. No of the other teams seem to have a smash art either. I can't see nothing. In the maingame this was no problem.
- how can i swap between support driver arts and frontfighter driver arts?
- is there an ingame list for which elements perform a blade combo? Only one i know is fire/fire/light.

Thanks!

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Currently going through this and i'm really enjoying it.
I have a some questions though:
- i've never seen someone smash an enemy, i mainly play with Addam Mythra/Minoth. I topple with Addam and then nothing. No of the other teams seem to have a smash art either. I can't see nothing. In the maingame this was no problem.
- how can i swap between support driver arts and frontfighter driver arts?
- is there an ingame list for which elements perform a blade combo? Only one i know is fire/fire/light.

Thanks!

Mythra performs smash when you swap to her from Addam, if memory serves. It's a switch art - an attack performed when switching between characters on a team. Using Addam's driver art will extend the time the enemy is in the air too (well, any part of the driver combo).

Not sure what you mean with your second question. Vanguard arts are used by you, while rearguard arts are performed by the AI behind you.

And no there is no explanation I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Mythra performs smash when you swap to her from Addam, if memory serves. It's a switch art - an attack performed when switching between characters on a team. Using Addam's driver art will extend the time the enemy is in the air too (well, any part of the driver combo).

Not sure what you mean with your second question. Vanguard arts are used by you, while rearguard arts are performed by the AI behind you.

And no there is no explanation I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot, so a switch art it is.
Super helpful thanks!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Call me crazy, but i think the base game looks better.
Anyway, loving this expansion, it made me appreciate the base game even more. A JRPG masterpiece.
The whole series is just stellar.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Call me crazy, but i think the base game looks better.
Anyway, loving this expansion, it made me appreciate the base game even more. A JRPG masterpiece.
The whole series is just stellar.

I love that Torna exists. It streamlines and speeds up the combat system, simplifies and reduces micromanagement and polishes up elements, such as collection points.

Rolling a bunch of systems into camps and including accessible tutorials were also inspired choices (the latter being an obvious one, though).

Torna is a wonderful supplementary experience and we should cherish it because it might be the only time we revisit a Xenoblade cast again (kind of).

But it's got fewer party members, fewer blades, fewer titans, fewer bosses, fewer super bosses and unique monsters, fewer towns, fewer cutscenes (14 hours+ vs 3ish), less music, less customisation, less end game content, etc.

The Tornan Titan is great, but it can't compete against Argentum, Uraya, Leftheria, Mor Ardain and the like. The game's Gormott is also vastly inferior.

Again, Torna is great. But I don't think it can really hold a candle to the base game - even if the many improvements, big and small, make it easier to digest.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Torna arguably has the best level design out of all of the XC2 areas. The only other worthy contender is Uraya. I was pretty disappointed with Gormott, Mor Ardain, Leftheria, Tantal, etc. They're all visually appealing, but the layouts are fairly forgettable.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Interesting. Torna arguably has the best level design out of all of the XC2 areas. The only other worthy contender is Uraya. I was pretty disappointed with Gormott, Mor Ardain, Leftheria, Tantal, etc. They're all visually appealing, but the layouts are fairly forgettable.
Interesting point, I enjoy Tantal in the same way that I enjoyed Valak Mountain in X1 but its circular nature often feels highly confusing. When combined with the multi-layer towers, I'm often completely lost as to where I am in relation to what. But still I absolutely love the way it feels to walk around in that zone. It's just awe-inspiring in terms of scale and what you see when you turn around to just face "into" the area. Have I mentioned I have an extreme weakness for snowy/winter-themed game settings? Random aside, no relevance.

Gormott always bothered me from the initial reveal because the way it is aligned makes it sort of feel crammed and weirdly small? When you exit the cave and first see the open field, BotW-style, you're looking at Torigoth in the distance to the right but the Titan's head is right behind it, encasing the whole view and towering over it also. Then pretty close to the right there is already the cloud sea cutting off the world and the Titan looking in the background makes everything feel so boxed in. The tall tree/mountain range in the center contributes to its oddly claustrophobic or tight feel. It's weird.

Mor Ardain I do like, especially the old ..err what's it called? barracks? town? I forget. The old abandoned place to the left on the way to the factory. But it also feels like the occupied zone or the running factory should open into an internal area or something. Seems like part of the zone has been cut out of it. What is there, however, is really cool. Riding the containers on the rails is so cool :)

Leftheria needed some sort of cave system or something. I do appreciate how it's basically a huge plain just filled with monsters of all sorts. Very stressful to walk through as you're constantly under threat without geography to hide behind. It really does look like a war-torn battlefield. But also, something to "discover" aside from the small side areas would've been cool.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I should clarify that when I said Torna can't compete with Argentum, Urays, Leftheria, Mord Ardain etc. I meant as a collective.

Torna is good, but it isn't good enough to compensate for the environmental diversity, variety of music tracks and cultures those titans bring to the table. It is one area after all.

One-on-one, Torna competes with XC2's best.

I will say that I think Argentum gets overlooked too often. There's more there than people think.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone!
I just started the game yesterday, barely went through the first scenes up to the Addam/Mythra fight.

Any general tips for the game?
Also, is there a recap list of the fighting mechanics? I completely forgot everything about toppling, launching enemies and combos and so on, and the short tutorial didn't help much lol

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey everyone!
I just started the game yesterday, barely went through the first scenes up to the Addam/Mythra fight.

Any general tips for the game?
Also, is there a recap list of the fighting mechanics? I completely forgot everything about toppling, launching enemies and combos and so on, and the short tutorial didn't help much lol
exactly the thing you're looking for is linked in the OP

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
There is a side quest you will get early into the game. It's called A Rare Sense of Justice.

I counted that there are a total of 80 green barrels. It's not 77.

I started counting the last 10 barrels after my side quest alerted me of an update for tuis mission.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Damn. Such a beautiful game and a great compliment to XBC2.

I'm really going to miss the soundtrack more tgan anything because it adds so damn much to the game immersion and presentation.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I'm really going to miss the soundtrack more tgan anything because it adds so damn much to the game immersion and presentation.
Truly, the soundtrack of this game and the main game are so good that it is really sad that it was mostly forgotten to be nominated in most best soundtrack awards.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Truly, the soundtrack of this game and the main game are so good that it is really sad that it was mostly forgotten to be nominated in most best soundtrack awards.
I got so excited when I entered my first battle in Torna, having listened to the theme from the web rip for quite a while before that in anticipation.

But alas, "DLC" ghetto ... almost as bad as "handheld game" ghetto.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack not getting awards was a damn robbery.
A personal opinion, but for me, "A Moment of Eternity" was far better than "One Last You". It was perfect during the last scenes.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dig the combat and characters in this game, but the way it locks story progression behind sidequest completion rate really killed it for me. I can't stand artificial padding like that and ruins the way I play games. I like to mainline the story first and do sidequests on NG or post-game. I do miss the combat system though.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I am so through with Torna, even though I initially loved it.

I put the game on hold for almost a year when I had to push side quests until the community reached level 2 - which I don't know who thought this is a good idea - esp considering how weak they are in the game - but doing it all over again to push it till level 4!?

Im so done. What a gross waste of time.

really makes you appreciate video game journalists who clearly havent bothered to play the damn thing.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I am so through with Torna, even though I initially loved it.

I put the game on hold for almost a year when I had to push side quests until the community reached level 2 - which I don't know who thought this is a good idea - esp considering how weak they are in the game - but doing it all over again to push it till level 4!?

Im so done. What a gross waste of time.

really makes you appreciate video game journalists who clearly havent bothered to play the damn thing.
To be fair, the DLC trains you to be prepared to do Community quests. If you push forth, you will appreciate some of the world-building aspects. But there is no harm in putting it down.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair, the DLC trains you to be prepared to do Community quests. If you push forth, you will appreciate some of the world-building aspects. But there is no harm in putting it down.

Trains me to do silly unrewarding fetch quests?

Nein Danke!

I struggled enough with level 2. However you look at it it's needless inflating the game. I wanted to find out the end of the story but I have way too many more fun games to get through.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The part that I don't get about this complaint is that this is where the world and characters get built out, through those quests. I mean, if you just want to rush through the big setpieces I guess I get it but that feels like a waste of a cool world.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part that I don't get about this complaint is that this is where the world and characters get built out, through those quests. I mean, if you just want to rush through the big setpieces I guess I get it but that feels like a waste of a cool world.
Because Xenoblade Chronicles are awful and boring. and the game basically like breaks up the momentum to do pointless stufftl during a time of great disaster

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably not helped by side quests in the Xenoblade games varying from "Oh no, Wolves! better kill 5 of them" all the way up to in depth multi-chapter stories with their own sub-quests.