• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foxshot

Nov 5, 2017
That is truly disgusting, I'm an entitled gamer and demand it be 95GBs just for the lols.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's smaller than XB:C right?

Smaller than XCX.

The first Xenoblade was on a dual layer dvd for overseas release.

I'm certain the Japanese release of the first game was smaller than the overseas release because of only one voice dub language.

Smaller than XCX.

The first Xenoblade was on a dual layer dvd for overseas release.

I'm certain the Japanese release of the first game was smaller than the overseas release because of only one voice dub language.
Yeah, the Japanese version of the first game shipped on a single-layer disc. It didn't go dual layer until the western release, and that was specifically due to being dual audio.

I'm surprised that it wound up smaller than XCX in terms of file size, which makes me wonder if there are fewer side quests with voice acting this time around. XCX had a lot of those.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the physical version will require no download or install? Does it all fit on and read off the cart?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
My first guess is that because there is no customisation of the characters there is less audio in the game and that plays a factor. Do we know what resolution is X2? Because the assets should be bigger, no? The world all together might be smaller than Xenoblade X. Or maybe it's a smaller game in general.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any word on resolution and framerate? From the little I've watched as I wanted to avoid spoilers it looked very blurry and choppy. Or is this another case of Nintendo showing handheld footage with the final game getting a bump to 900p.

I guess the framerate could only be improved through optimisation as the CPU stays the same speed in handhend and docked mode. X was a fairly solid 30fps though and the Switch CPU destroys the WiiU CPU so framerate shouldn't be an issue in the final game.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the physical version will require no download or install? Does it all fit on and read off the cart?

That's already the download size so that fits the 16GB cart.

Programming with the Switch may have really helped with compressing the game size, or Nintendo sharing their trade secrets.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

If it required extra data to install, it would have had that ugly white banner on the top of the game case warning you on memory storage.

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
I'm always amazed this is possible with the game supposedly having a large amount of music and voice acting, as well as textures. But it also makes me wonder if PS4/X1 games are just not as compressed because it can fit on the BD/HDD anyhow.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
My first guess is that because there is no customisation of the characters there is less audio in the game and that plays a factor. Do we know what resolution is X2? Because the assets should be bigger, no? The world all together might be smaller than Xenoblade X. Or maybe it's a smaller game in general.

Or it could be that the game is bigger but they had to compress it more due to cart size, whereas XCX was on a 25GB format (which was also cheaper than a 32GB cart?)

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting something bigger than 16 GB, and therefore needing a 32GB card. Nintendo wizardry strikes again?
Great news for anyone going digital!

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Squeezing on that 16GB cartridge, magic.
Especially since X Data Packs were 10GB+ alone!

I wonder just how big the Japanese voice track will be though...

emb

Oct 28, 2017
If it required extra data to install, it would have had that ugly white banner on the top of the game case warning you on memory storage.
That's good to know. I was worried about it for this game. I figured with all the voice acting, it'd be on the larger side. 14 GB doesn't seem too bad.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Or it could be that the game is bigger but they had to compress it more due to cart size, whereas XCX was on a 25GB format (which was also cheaper than a 32GB cart?)

They spoke specifically about how they struggled to fit Xeno X into the Wii U disc. They released a 10GB total data patch for the retail version because they compressed the game so much it had performance issues. And now you're saying that they were in fact just lazy?

Deleted member 62

xenoblade2ubjog.png

:p

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They spoke specifically about how they struggled to fit Xeno X into the Wii U disc. They released a 10GB total data patch for the retail version because they compressed the game so much it had performance issues. And now you're saying that they were in fact just lazy?
Um..? I'm not sure how you read my post, but I did not say they were lazy at all...

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Um..? I'm not sure how you read my post, but I did not say they were lazy at all...

You practically said that they didn't compressed it as well as they could. But we know that this is not true since Monolith specifically said they even thought about delivering the game on 2 discs at some point.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You practically said that they didn't compressed it as well as they could. But we know that this is not true since Monolith specifically said they even thought about delivering the game on 2 discs at some point.
I had forgotten all about the extra data packs and all that. It's well known that devs don't always compress data as much as they can because they have large size media which makes it not necessary. That is all I was saying. Being lazy was nothing to do with it. Had I remembered the data pack situation, I wouldn't have suggested what I did. I really do think you interpreted my post entirely the wrong way.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's already the download size so that fits the 16GB cart.

Programming with the Switch may have really helped with compressing the game size, or Nintendo sharing their trade secrets.

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure how that stuff worked (Doom and LA Noire require downloads for some features but don't have the banner on their box art, do they?

Deleted member 62

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably has a lot more reused asset and did XBC X contain any cgi rather than in-engine cutscenes? Plus XBC 2 doesn't look like much of a leap, in terms of graphical quality, compared to XBC X so there's that too.

I hope they didn't compress this one too much affecting loading times just to save cost.