• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Asked for this for Christmas. Should make Boxig day afternoon a cracking good time! Christ the Switch is a joyous invention.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm watching it right now and they did say they're keeping it spoiler-free.

The video does use footage from the previews so if you haven't seen that and don't want to see that, I suggest just listening to it if you're interested.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the original or the sequel so let's hope this changes my perception. As far as I'm concerned, Takahashi hasn't made something on par with Xenogears since Xenogears. Xenosaga was good though.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What is the deal with Xenoblade Chronicles X? I've never personally played it but I remember at release over at the other site it didn't seem like it had so good of a reception and was a disappointment compared to the original Chronicles? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
The game has a beautiful world to explore and serviceable combat on foot but other than that take what made Xenoblade special and replace it with nothing or generic stuff.
The mech combat was cumbersome.you can fly at least.

Characters were either thin or annoying.specially Lin and Tatsu while the others were paper thin.

Plot/cutscenes are heavily dumbed down, there are a few cool ones though.

MuSic is mixed with lyrics. I thought it never reached the first gane highs but has some outstanding pieces.

The main (only?) town is ugly as sin.

Screen text for some reason is tiny, like seriously tiny

Voice acting isn't close as charming

Colors are drab

Despite how i been complaining about the costumes in this game im glad they are making this rather than X2, i wouldn't even consider an X-2 it was that bad

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
X was a really good game, it's just that a lot of folks were expecting more XC. The structure is so different that those only looking to progress through its main story will have a really hard time, reaching a point in which grinding is necessary (it isn't if you play it enjoying the exploration and sidequests).

Had X been the first game in the series, it would've received good reviews (as it actually did) with bad comments about the divisive OST and some questionable design decisions (like having to search for party members or the terrible sound mixing) but without being constantly compared to the first title.

Oct 29, 2017
X was a really good game, it's just that a lot of folks were expecting more XC. The structure is so different that those only looking to progress through its main story will have a really hard time, reaching a point in which grinding is necessary (it isn't if you play it enjoying the exploration and sidequests).

Had X been the first game in the series, it would've received good reviews (as it actually did) with bad comments about the divisive OST and some questionable design decisions (like having to search for party members or the terrible sound mixing) but without being constantly compared to the first title.

This captures it pretty well. Speaking for myself, I was someone who loved the original Xenoblade and was hoping for more of the same. What I got instead was comparatively so different as to be unejoyable from a subjective sense.

Sire Yoshi

Oct 25, 2017
RestEra Sales threads
Gamexplain just uploaded a Q&A with Chuggaaconroy about the game.

Intresting video, there are no spoilers at all in the questions and answers, so you can listen to it safely, but maybe some people would consider some of the footage spoiler-ish... if you have seen all the footage released so far it's the same B-roll provided by Nintendo

Last edited:

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see what they did there.
I'm surprised that he said the story is as serious and light hearted as previous games when the director said he was going for a more light hearted feel (with darker elements of course)

Also resolution is still not confirmed, just his guess. The game has much better Anti Aliasing so that could have tricked him into thinking a higher resolution

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Xenoblade x should be spun off into a side series.

In fact, let's get insane. continue main series and x, while introducing Xenoblade y and Xenoblade z! With that medieval arpg on the side.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I think the only really new bit in that Q&A is that you can junk Blades you don't want for resources/upgrade materials.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I haven't really looked into these previews because I'm really trying to go in as blind as I can with regards to anything specific about characters, story details, etc.

But have they mentioned anything regarding the game size compared to XC? Are there any impressions so far saying it could be close to the same size or larger? Or smaller? I'm okay with the latter as long as it's packed full of stuff to see and do.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really looked into these previews because I'm really trying to go in as blind as I can with regards to anything specific about characters, story details, etc.

But have they mentioned anything regarding the game size compared to XC? Are there any impressions so far saying it could be close to the same size or larger? Or smaller? I'm okay with the latter as long as it's packed full of stuff to see and do.
Are you referring to the overall scale of the game, or the length? I think they said length wise 1/3rd of the game was hit at about 45 hours. In terms of scale, i'm pretty sure it's biger than XBC, but XBX i'm not sure about. Also I don't believe this is one cohesive world, due to the Titam angle, so it may be a series of Large worlds (think Bionins and Mechonis, but more of them).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Are you referring to the overall scale of the game, or the length? I think they said length wise 1/3rd of the game was hit at about 45 hours. In terms of scale, i'm pretty sure it's biger than XBC, but XBX i'm not sure about. Also I don't believe this is one cohesive world, due to the Titam angle, so it may be a series of Large worlds (think Bionins and Mechonis, but more of them).
Ah okay, yeah I was thinking more about scale of the game. Either way, thanks for both impressions. Looks like it's going to be just what I'm hoping for. Can't believe it's almost here!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The game has a beautiful world to explore and serviceable combat on foot but other than that take what made Xenoblade special and replace it with nothing or generic stuff.
The mech combat was cumbersome.you can fly at least.

Characters were either thin or annoying.specially Lin and Tatsu while the others were paper thin.

Plot/cutscenes are heavily dumbed down, there are a few cool ones though.

MuSic is mixed with lyrics. I thought it never reached the first gane highs but has some outstanding pieces.

The main (only?) town is ugly as sin.

Screen text for some reason is tiny, like seriously tiny

Voice acting isn't close as charming

Colors are drab

Despite how i been complaining about the costumes in this game im glad they are making this rather than X2, i wouldn't even consider an X-2 it was that bad
I agree. The world was great to explore, and once I got the skells it got even more fun, and once I got the ability to fly it got even more fun! The story and characters just weren't there, though. Personally I was hoping this game take he beat from both games but so far it looks way closer to 1 than X, which is fine. I'm just gonna miss the mechs.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well the guy at Gamexplain says it runs likely at 1080p because it looks clean, but knowing that undocked looks worse than other Nintendo games i don't believe it's really 1080p at all.
I'm also interested in the difference in lip-sync between the jap and eng voices.

Technical aspects aside, the game looks outstanding.

Oct 25, 2017

So is this new entry more like the first and less like x? Or is it more its own thing? Sorry if a dumb question.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has the technically best rocks I've ever seen in a Nintendo game. Such good texture work and lighting on the rocks in the Gormott Province

blown-away.gif

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is definitely not 1080p. It does not ha e the sharpness to support it if you watch it on a tv/computer screen. For example, compare the clarity/sharpness of Skyrim on Switch to X2. And even then, Skyrim is only 900p

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any footage / screenshots from the handheld mode yet? Hopefully we will know more about technical details (framerate / resolution) before it comes out

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Seriously.

I hope it doesn't look like crap in heldheld mode. I play in handheld 80% of the time..

I am super excited for this game but I'm not sure the game is going to look good no matter how you play it. The environmental design is very impressive but the actual textures are not great and the character models are also not great.