• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
DualShockers - 9.5

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of those RPGs that I didn't want to end. Luckily, there is enough post-game content to satisfy players looking to sink 100s of hours into more adventures with Rex and the party.

RPGsite - 9

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an extraordinary game that stays true to the ideal, classic RPG experience. Monolith Soft has meticulously crafted a typical boy-meets-girl and save-the-world story into an endearing tale that feels fresh. The amount of thought and work put into the world of Alrest is jaw-dropping. It's masterfully put together with incredible cutscenes, a charming cast, a thrilling battle system, and an exceptional soundtrack. Technical performance issues and a troublesome method in acquiring new Blades blemish the experience a little, but no JRPG fan should give this a pass. This year has brought us a great deal of superb RPGs and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 magnificently stands tall among them to close the year out with a bang.

GameSpot - 7

On this and many other levels, Xenoblade 2 exhibits admirable depth. Adventurous types that enjoy complex combat systems can easily spend more than 100 hours uncovering Alrest's secrets and developing their team of Blades, provided they can come to terms with a handful of unavoidable shortcomings. It's equal parts pleasing and frustrating, but the struggle to keep up with everything thrown your way is more of a hurdle than a roadblock. It will be a tough pill to swallow for people who aren't accustomed to the typical cliches found in many Japanese RPGs, and its often clumsy nature keeps it from being the next groundbreaking Switch game, but Xenoblade 2 is worth pursuing if you've got enough patience to let it blossom.

IGN - 8.5

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a standout RPG that manages to keep its story, combat, and exploration interesting over the course of at least 70 hours of adventure through an impressively varied and rich world. Getting from place to place can be confusing, but outside of that and a multi-hour progression roadblock near the end this is an excellent game full of tough, memorable battles and a positive message.

God is a Geek - 8.5

It has been amazing seeing a new Xenoblade game return to a story focus after X. I'm more than up for alternate games like this. This could become like Forza where you have Motorsport and Horizon alternating with some fans playing either type while others enjoy both. The world here can get magical in a lot of places and any fan of JRPGs needs to buy this. While many people bought a Switch for Mario or Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is Monolith Soft's magnum opus on the Switch. They proved us all wrong by releasing this in 2017.

Nintendo Insider - 9

It's clear that there has been no compromise in what Monolith Soft had envisioned for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and, given that we have had to wait for some time each generation, to have the chance to explore such a remarkable world so soon after the Nintendo Switch arrived is an opportunity not to be missed, and a cataclysmic close to the portable home console's first year. Sweepingly epic in every way imaginable, this grandiose adventure is quite simply an unforgettable experience. And, with that, the fate of Alrest is now in your hands.

Nintendo Life - 9

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch won't disappoint series fans, especially those that love the Wii original (or even experienced it on New 3DS). It's a new cast and world, with some fresh mechanics and ideas, but much is still familiar. The story has high points, the world and its varied Titan lands is intriguing, and it draws you in for many dozens of hours.

It's Monolith Soft doing what it does best, albeit without shaking off the occasional flaws of the series. It's ultimately an important part of an incredible launch year for the Switch - a reminder that while system concepts change some things are constant. This is another Xenoblade gem, and a must-have for the most dedicated of adventurers.

Destructoid - 8

Impressive effort with a few noticeable problems holding it back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

JeuxVideo - 8

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a game that will divide. Although it possesses certain qualities worthy of a masterpiece of the genre, its defects pose real problems that cannot be ignored. Of exceptional density, the title skilfully combines its gameplay and context to immerse the player in a unique world, the size of its environments truly supports its depth. With a truly rewarding combat system, while complex to master, it offers incredible sensations and no doubt you'll remember your experience. However, the Nintendo Switch does not have the shoulders for such a demanding game and the titanic environments of Xenoblade are at the expense of resolution and graphics, even performance with dizzying framerate falls. However, we urge you to ignore that as best you can, because it would be a shame to miss what we consider to be one of the most grandiose universes in recent years.

EGM - 7

A wide-sweeping game with an ambitious story, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 offers up an intriguing world to explore. Unfortunately, confusing map markers and a padded-out combat system make actually exploring more of a chore than is necessary.

Stevivor - 6.5

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 isn't a bad game by any means, but it's one that only die-hard JRPG fans will love.

Vooks - 7

This review might seem overly negative, but I don't mean to imply that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 isn't worth your time. A lot of individual pieces of the game were off-putting, but I've still had a great time with the game overall. In the right situations, the battle system can really shine. The storyline, while occasionally cheapened by the bizarre character designs, still had me playing far past when I should have been sleeping on more occasions than I'd like to admit.

Despite its many issues, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stands out with a deep combat system, compelling storyline, and an endearing cast of characters. Just try not to get overwhelmed and give up in those first hours.

USGamer - 9

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 applies an energetic signature and wax seal to a wonderful year for the Nintendo Switch, and for JRPGs in general. Between the amount of time it takes to get used to the game and getting through everything it has to offer, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a worthy investment for series fans and newcomers.

WCCFTech - 8.8

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an essential JRPG for fans of the genre. If you own a Switch and have enjoyed JRPGs in the past, then you should get it, absolutely. In a year which had games like Tales of Berseria and Persona 5, it just might be the best JRPG of 2017, and that's saying something.

EPN - 9

SourceGaming - 9

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sends Nintendo off with a bang in 2017, joining the likes of Zelda and Mario as big, open-world, must have adventures. I am still impressed that they got this game running on the Switch, even if they had to make some cut-backs to do it. The gameplay feels fresh but also familiar to veteran players with plenty of new additions to fill in the void of removed content. And, so far, the story has been wonderful. Each chapter so far has captivated and intrigued me. Each of the characters has been likeable and a blast to use, even with some questionable voice acting, and all the Blades are well designed. Except for Pyra's shorts because those are barely even hot pants. I mean seriously, I'm ok with some fan service designs now and again if they are tactful but those look mad uncomfortable. While I might find Pyra's choice of clothes confusing, you can trust me that with this game as a whole I was really feeling it.

Eurogamer - "Recommended"

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a crunchier, more chaotic proposition than the rest of Nintendo's recent output, then. Monolith Soft either doesn't have the resources or the relentless tenacity to explore every one of its game mechanics with the rigour and finality of Nintendo EAD. But while the game's individual components are far from pristine, in combination they prove irresistible. And as with Rex, it is to the wrinkles and idiosyncrasies that we are ultimately drawn, and ultimately convinced.

Switchitalia - 9

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is icing on the cake of the Switch first year on the market. Not as perfect as Zelda BOTW, not for a wide audience as Odyssey, XC2 has maybe a weaker hook compared to the previous two episodes of the series (it's not the first time we see this kind of open world approach as in Xeno Wii, and there is no Mech-based exploration system as in X) but the basic structure is so good that the small improvements in terms of combat system, protagonists/antagonists characterization, cut scene management that the final result is pretty impressive. For every Switch owner that is also a JRPG lover, Christmas come on December 1st

GameXplain - "Loved It"

Opencritic - 85

Metacritic - 84

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
here we go .gif

so-it-begins.jpg

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hoping for some great scores and no derailing to talk about well endowed character design.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My friend's review

Nintendo Insider- 9/10
It's clear that there has been no compromise in what Monolith Soft had envisioned for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and, given that we have had to wait for some time each generation, to have the chance to explore such a remarkable world so soon after the Nintendo Switch arrived is an opportunity not to be missed, and a cataclysmic close to the portable home console's first year. Sweepingly epic in every way imaginable, this grandiose adventure is quite simply an unforgettable experience. And, with that, the fate of Alrest is now in your hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Jeuxvideo.com: 16/20

Google translation:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a game that will divide. Although it possesses certain qualities worthy of a masterpiece of the genre, its defects pose real problems that cannot be ignored. Of exceptional density, the title skilfully combines its gameplay and context to immerse the player in a unique world, the size of its environments truly supports its depth. With a truly rewarding combat system, while complex to master, it offers incredible sensations and no doubt you'll remember your experience. However, the Nintendo Switch does not have the shoulders for such a demanding game and the titanic environments of Xenoblade are at the expense of resolution and graphics, even performance with dizzying framerate falls. However, we urge you to ignore that as best you can, because it would be a shame to miss what we consider to be one of the most grandiose universes in recent years.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Gamespots negatives re common blades and poor tutorials ring true for me after 9 hours played, though I wouldn't lower the score significantly for either. Xenoblade X was far worse for the latter too. I'm enjoying the early story too.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Higher then XCX lower then XC1 is my guess.

Here comes the fun! (btw listen to the reviewers closest to your gaming tastes)

Mine i trust is GameXplain.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All over the place. Looks like it's a "if you like this kind of game you'll like this game" sorta situation. Which is fine, because I like this sort of game.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Vandal - 9

Let's go straight to the point: Xenoblades Chronicles 2 is a real game. If you like JRPGs, it is a must buy: a story with rhyme that hooks you, a deep and addictive combat system, a huge and beautiful world to explore, enough content that will last you dozens of hours, and a first level audiovisual section are its main virtues, making Monolith Soft new game, without a doubt, one of the best games of the genre in years, and a perfect way for end this superb 2017.

Meristation - 9.2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 isn't the most innovative sequel, but being released seven years after the original, and with a more experimental release, it will probably be what many were hoping it to be. We are talking about an epic story, along with its scenarios, with more than 60 hours in the main story. Monolith Soft has created a rich universe, along with a combat system and mechanics that while it may confuse at the beginning, it later rewards the player with so many possibilities. That doesn't take away the fact that players must deal with some graphic interfaces that don't add anything, and some technical problems that don't show the great art design of the studio. But, when the game works as it should be, Xenoblade 2 is a magnificent JRPG.

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
We have been playing it and having a blast. Do not let aesthetics fool you, even if no armor customization is disappointing.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's good enough for me, was always going to be divisive with the art style and boobs. I also assume some will mark lower for handheld performance.