• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 21094

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the big issue is that some of those mechanics (Chains, etc) have no real reason to be unavailable to the player until the point that they're "turned on". I played XC2 for like...18 hours before I got to the boss fight where the game suddenly explained how to use them, and by that point my muscle memory had already locked in so it took serious effort to incorporate them into my strategies from that point on.

The game should've let players have access to those features from minute one and just had the tutorial there for people who didn't learn how to do them organically.
outside of chain attack I think everything else was intact though?
You get to start blade switching with just 2 blades, you can do driver combos...not further than topple at that point since your blades just don't have them unless you pulled something with launch, then you can probably get up to launch, smash will still require something else for sure.. Blade combo you get right from the start basically, if you know how to cancel and pouch item you can probably chain to blade combo 2 even in chapter 2 by Rex himself, with help you can probably go to blade combo 3.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly. The training wheels don't come off until you can equip three Blades, which is early Chapter 4, which is usually around 15 hours into the game depending on the player.
True, I still say that the statement "the tutorial is 15 hours" is misleading. The game opens up long before then, you just don't have access to the entirety of the combat mechanics

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like you
*tear*
That sounds right to me now that you mention it. It's been a really long time since I played Awakening so certain parts of my memory are foggy, especially about the second half.
Pretty easy to forgot considering the game is super easy that you never actually need to grind (I never used the spawn enemies unless I wanted to save an Anna). All you need is Nosferatu to beat the game honestly lol.

Plus the game even let you spawn old schoo Fire Emblem characters to fight for rewards. Game was super packed with content.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
outside of chain attack I think everything else was intact though?
You get to start blade switching with just 2 blades, you can do driver combos...not further than topple at that point since your blades just don't have them unless you pulled something with launch, then you can probably get up to launch, smash will still require something else for sure.. Blade combo you get right from the start basically, if you know how to cancel and pouch item you can probably chain to blade combo 2 even in chapter 2 by Rex himself, with help you can probably go to blade combo 3.

Blade Combos and Chains in general were really, really badly explained. The only reason I figured out how they worked was because someone here linked me to a Youtube video explaining them. Up to that point I was doing them backwards and basically could never rank up my combos. Once I saw that video (and got Roc for Rex) it became a lot easier, but man, it was slow going for a long damn time.

Didn't help that the gacha system consistently screwed me as far as it pertained to giving me actually useful blades. It was Percival early on and then just an endless wasteland of useless crap.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Xenoblade 2 has shitty tutorials. That's one thing they need to address in the sequel. How they went back from the first game in this regard is mind boggling.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blade Combos and Chains in general were really, really badly explained. The only reason I figured out how they worked was because someone here linked me to a Youtube video explaining them. Up to that point I was doing them backwards and basically could never rank up my combos. Once I saw that video (and got Roc for Rex) it became a lot easier, but man, it was slow going for a long damn time.

Didn't help that the gacha system consistently screwed me as far as it pertained to giving me actually useful blades. It was Percival early on and then just an endless wasteland of useless crap.
Yes, I would agree that the battle system isn't explained very well in game. They could've done a better job with that, but I'm also not opposed to a game requiring experimentation to master. It's a delicate balance that they didn't get right. X was much better in that regard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I would agree that the battle system isn't explained very well in game. They could've done a better job with that, but I'm also not opposed to a game requiring experimentation to master. It's a delicate balance that they didn't get right.

You're a hundred percent right there. There's nothing wrong with a game that requires the player to put effort into understanding it - hell, look at how much people love games like Dark Souls - I think the real flaw was a lack of accurate, concise communication of what was expected out of the player for some of the core mechanics. It's interesting since the in-game tutorials feel like they're written to be really easily understood but I think the casual way the information is presented to players makes it harder to fully grasp the system.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty critical of Nintendo's decision to launch it in December, as it clearly had some qol issues that one or two months of full-tilt development could have fixed, and the switch didn't NEED it in December. But maybe December was the right choice after all.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Xenoblade 2 has shitty tutorials. That's one thing they need to address in the sequel. How they went back from the first game in this regard is mind boggling.
Worst than the tutorial at the Colony 6 boss? That's one they explain how to topple enemies etc, like 8 hours in-game lol

I can handle that tho. I hope I can get a switch and this game sooner than later.

Deleted member 21094

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree that the game doesn't explain it well enough for the most part, I didn't have any problem with it even just from the in game tutorial but I know lots of people had problems with it
I know I was reliably toppling in Chapter 3, I didn't have the whole chain combo mapped out until much later unless I use blades I don't want to use(damn you launch and smash on rex...with another certain character joining in it made it rather easy in chapter 5). I was also reliably stacking orbs but I didn't get chain attack until ...whenever the game unlocked it for me, then I was like, damn I wanted this earlier.

However with that said, these systems are still not locked out(other than chain attack), its just that you don't really have the ability to pull them off with limitations on your party....

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst than the tutorial at the Colony 6 boss? That's one they explain how to topple enemies etc, like 8 hours in-game lol

I can handle that tho. I hope I can get a switch and this game sooner than later.
You don't learn how to topple till like 10-15 hours in to Xenoblade 2
This, plus the first game makes it possible for you to go back and reference any tutorial at any time. Xenoblade 2 does not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the game doesn't explain it well enough for the most part, I didn't have any problem with it even just from the in game tutorial but I know lots of people had problems with it
I know I was reliably toppling in Chapter 3, I didn't have the whole chain combo mapped out until much later unless I use blades I don't want to use(damn you launch and smash on rex...with another certain character joining in it made it rather easy in chapter 5). I was also reliably stacking orbs but I didn't get chain attack until ...whenever the game unlocked it for me, then I was like, damn I wanted this earlier.

However with that said, these systems are still not locked out(other than chain attack), its just that you don't really have the ability to pull them off with limitations on your party....

I still can't stack orbs well as of the point where I quit playing. My blade element coverage across the party just isn't very good and it makes it really hard to do more than one or two possible combos at a time.

Yet another reason why the gacha mechanics were a bad idea.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're a hundred percent right there. There's nothing wrong with a game that requires the player to put effort into understanding it - hell, look at how much people love games like Dark Souls - I think the real flaw was a lack of accurate, concise communication of what was expected out of the player for some of the core mechanics. It's interesting since the in-game tutorials feel like they're written to be really easily understood but I think the casual way the information is presented to players makes it harder to fully grasp the system.
I didn't think of it that way but you are right. It felt like they wrote the tutorials in such a way that it wouldn't seem too impenetrable for the player, but in doing so didn't convey all of the necessary information so that the player could actually replicate what they were trying to teach. Tutorials are hard.

Deleted member 21094

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still can't stack orbs well as of the point where I quit playing. My blade element coverage across the party just isn't very good and it makes it really hard to do more than one or two possible combos at a time.

I mean...it really depends on how much you "want" to do those combos, half the reason why I didn't bother with it until post chapter 5-ish is because I didn't have the rare blades to properly chain things, I COULD always use a common blade, but I don't want to do that, the game is easy enough that you don't need to do that anyways.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
You can use common blades to stack orbs...

This was my biggest complaint with game from a non-technical standpoint.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...it really depends on how much you "want" to do those combos, half the reason why I didn't bother with it until post chapter 5-ish is because I didn't have the rare blades to properly chain things, I COULD always use a common blade, but I don't want to do that, the game is easy enough that you don't need to do that anyways.

Yeah, you can use common blades, but their stats and passives are such garbage compared to the rares that it's really not worth investing in them. I refuse to spend core chips on trash pull blades.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Not sure what are you talking about.

Despite it's not open world, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 really feels a Xeno game.

That's Probably because context of 'xeno' is flying fast and loose.

Xb2 feels like a xenoBLADE game despite not being a seamless open world.

Gears, and the sagas, did NOT have that signature blade feel, that modern monolithsoft design signature. You could not have a trailer of just running around the overworld, the thing that the first xenoblade made it's mark with, and have people respond like they did to blade.

I have the feeling most of the people that talk shit about this game, they do it because:

1) They got spoiled by some, honestly, really annoying reviewer who trashed this game and knew absolutely nothing about this franchise. I'm not even sure some of them have ever finished the game, and i've heard some extremely inaccurate comparisons from these people. (like pretending Xeno 2 should have competed with Breath of the Wild)

Maybe, I don't see a lot of people 'talk shit' about the game here that are not huge fans of the series. And mostly it's within the games op, people who didnt like the game or series dont spend a whole lot of time in these threads past posting their experience.
2) They got spoiled by their own mistakes, since the tutorial at the beginning is weird (but the pace is much slower than Xeno 1 so technically you have all the time in the world to learn everything), or other issues the developers then solved through patches (like the minimap being incredibly useless)

Again, the games mechanical flaws really don't surface very often. Certainly not any more often than the originals death by a thousand fetch quests, or X's less than ideal decision to gate all progress through levels.
3) They didn't buy a Switch, or the game so they've never played it, but they loved the first Xenoblade so they have to defend it.

Eh maybe. I mean there is definitely plenty of corporate worship to go around in here. But none that would make me suspect they are just defending the game without even having the system.
4) They got annoyed by other things (like fan service)

This from fans of the series seems to be the main point of contention, and literally the lynchpin that proves everything I've been talk8ng about.

5) Random haters

I wouldn't jump into Xeno 1 vs Xeno 2 war, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a great game, one of the best JRPGs of the past few years and far better than some of the more mainstream overrated titles (like FFXV)

Yes, yes it is. Like all modern monolithsoft games, it has very very strong design foundations, and even without saying things like calling ff15 overrated, a lot of people wound not hesitate to say things like exploration feel a lot better in xb2, or the series in general, than the much more expensive to make ffXV.

Which leads me to 2 main questions.

1. If you changed the costume designs to good looking outfits that don't piss a whole segment of people off, or make them put the box down and walk away, does the game become worse designed?

Do the landscape designs and exploration suddenly become worse than other games? Does the combat system people enjoy suddenly become broken and unplayable?

2. Would the people who are 'always comaining in xb2 threads' be 'always complaining in xb2 threads'?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can use common blades, but their stats and passives are such garbage compared to the rares that it's really not worth investing in them. I refuse to spend core chips on trash pull blades.

Common blades aren't half as bad as you think, and are perfectly useable before accruing enough rare blades—in some cases actually better than rare blades whose trees are bad or difficult to unlock.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, the gacha mechanics are, imo, the worst part of the game, and it's tied to how the game does progression. In a game like Diablo, tying progression to randomized loot drop works because the game will generally always provides you loot that scales with how far you are in the game. You get a lot of trash loot, but loot drops so frequently and steadily increases in power as you do, so you are never left in a situation where you are significantly hampered by a lack of good loot drops. Additionally, all loot is temporary, it is inevitable that you will get something better at level 20 than even the best loot possible at level 10. This allows players who got unlucky with the RNG to always have a means of catching up.

Now looking at Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the randomized 'loot' is an issue because the 'loot' are not disposable weapons but permanent character additions to your party which have their own long-term progression paths. That means that if you are unlucky and don't get a powerful Blade early on, you are missing out on tons of valuable time spent growing that character that a luckier player gets to enjoy. On top of that, the common blades are all extremely disposable, which devalues them compared to the rare blades. On top of THAT, character roles are tied directly to what blades they have equipped, and blades are permanently tied to the character that summoned them except by use of an extremely rare consumable. This is the WORST aspect of the system because even if you do get lucky and get the rare blade that fits the role you want, you ALSO have to get that blade on the right character, and there is no way to know or meaningfully influence that chance.

It's a bad system and completely misses the appeal of randomized loot while keeping all the frustrations.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh but the common argument aginst this is that they still have thier use and can be leveled to the point where I think that they can ignore elements when stacking.

Though you know that disregards that you have to grind them to that point and that often thier passives and general stats are terrible.

Which then highlights the problem of the gatcha blade system in general.

But that also means for that blank element ability you have to fix your parties Blades around it. Coming back to the shitty gatcha system again.

Which could have all been avoided if the game didn't have a shitty Blade system or something like Persona.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Common blades aren't half as bad as you think, and are perfectly useable before accruing enough rare blades—in some cases actually better than rare blades whose trees are bad or difficult to unlock.

I mean, yeah, some of the rare blades have absolute torture for affinity chart requirements, you're definitely not wrong there. But every time I've felt forced to use a particular common blade just so Rex has access to an element someone else can't provide I end up significantly weaker across the board as a result.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty critical of Nintendo's decision to launch it in December, as it clearly had some qol issues that one or two months of full-tilt development could have fixed, and the switch didn't NEED it in December. But maybe December was the right choice after all.
It definitely seemed like the decision to aggressively target the December worldwide launch was the right call when it came to sales. Though of course in doing so it allowed a lot of QoL lapses and systems that hadn't been refined enough. Also the timing probably hurt the voice-acting and localization because of how fast that needed to get done.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice the breakdown of sales in the OP -- the game shipped a million overseas alone. That's very impressive and makes me wonder if Monolith's next project will be more Western focused.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice the breakdown of sales in the OP -- the game shipped a million overseas alone. That's very impressive and makes me wonder if Monolith's next project will be more Western focused.

I completely missed that too, that's actually fascinating. Maybe they'll opt for a more middle-ground approach for the next game, shoot for more grounded designs but then shove a Zohar in there somewhere because it's Monolith and the Zohar is in all of their goddamn games.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, Monolith. The game is amazing with absolutely beautiful OST and an awesome battle system. Hopefully, that medieval concept artwork is what they are working on now.
I'd love to see what they're up to but I know we've got a long way ahead of us until we hear any new game from them.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So much salt in this thread. Great that the games does good. Pyra and Mythra best Xeno characters.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Highly deserved. Easily my favorite Xenoblade title and the best since Xenosaga 3 imo.

Glad the series got back on track because Xenoblade Chronicles X was such a disappointing experience.

Final Fantasy may have the sales, but the trite it puts out these days has nothing on this.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I completely missed that too, that's actually fascinating. Maybe they'll opt for a more middle-ground approach for the next game, shoot for more grounded designs but then shove a Zohar in there somewhere because it's Monolith and the Zohar is in all of their goddamn games.
The concept art + genre of their next project seems to suggest as much, but I don't want to assume too much when we have so little info.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Highly deserved. Easily my favorite Xenoblade title and the best since Xenosaga 3 imo.

Glad the series got back on track because Xenoblade Chronicles X was such a disappointing experience.

Final Fantasy may have the sales, but the trite it puts out these days has nothing on this.
Final Fantasy is worlds better than XB2. Trite? Please. XB2 is the most trite anime bs not part of the Tales series.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only so much Mario and Kirby a guy can take honestly. I thank them for their hard work.

Unless they really want to visit that word again this probably does nail the coffin for that series. I don't think many people on the whole liked that one.

There was a thread on here were somebody asked if people liked XCX and it eas overwhelmingly positive so much thst it drowned out the few negatives in there

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

... That can't be right can it? The game expects you to fight metal face (and get him down to 50% health) in colony 9 well before then which requires you to both use chain attacks and to topple him to be able to deal damage.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Good news for Monolith Soft! I can't wait to hear more about their next game, even if that news is far, far away.

Jan 25, 2018
nice. good to see it kept going and didn't fizzle at 1 million.

prepare for XCX on Switch. it's pretty much guarateed they'll port it over seeing how all Wii U ports are beating the originals (MK8D beat the Wii U version already)

I just hope XCX gets improvements and the same treatment X2 has been getting as far as DLC and patches. They all but abandoned the game on Wii U when they could have improved various things.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... That can't be right can it? The game expects you to fight metal face (and get him down to 50% health) in colony 9 well before then which requires you to both use chain attacks and to topple him to be able to deal damage.

Yeah, you can't even damage normal mechon throughout the entire intro without it.

It does REtutorial you with ol humpty dumpty in the mines, but it's one of the first things you learn when the game kicks off.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope XCX gets improvements and the same treatment X2 has been getting as far as DLC and patches. They all but abandoned the game on Wii U when they could have improved various things.

If they port it and update it, the first thing they need to do is remove the bullshit "you have to bring Lin and Tatsu with you to every story mission" requirement. I want to ditch those two idiots at the base and never, ever see them again.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they port it and update it, the first thing they need to do is remove the bullshit "you have to bring Lin and Tatsu with you to every story mission" requirement. I want to ditch those two idiots at the base and never, ever see them again.

Eh, my main gripe is probably too involved for them to bother fixing.

I would redo the games progression design, cause the whole level gating everything sucks and does not work well with how freely you interact with exploring the world.

Oh hey, you found a peice of the lifehold, which we have told you over and over again we are shitting ourselves over. Now forget you found it for 12 hours and 20 levels, and then act surprised when you find it again on the level 20 mission.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you don't have an Avatar, characters designs are less fanservice, can't marry characters, no second generation and map design is awful.

Fire Emblem Echoes is an excellent game, but it didn't attract fans of Awakening and Fates because of those reasons (except map design, of course).
Echoes didnt get as much hoopla mostly because it was the end of the 3DS life which games tend to not do as well and was also a remake which also tend to not blow anyone away in terms of sales, it was also anmounced when fire emblem switch was announced which subconciously or not makes people treat it as sexond hand while the real devs are working on the big main game

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Sales are a strange thing, there is a quick and dirty Kirby game that outsells something like XC2 with ease within such a short amount of time, just by brand recognition, even in Japan...

Then there is XC2 packed with content, enough to keep gamers satisfied for easily 100 hours or more and it barely sells 1M over the course of months...

Oct 25, 2017

"Our very Japanese game did well overseas; let's make the next game more western" is always the exact wrong message to take from that.

I expect the new IP may have more of a western feel, but I can't see them doing that with the next Xenoblade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sales are a strange thing, there is a quick and dirty Kirby game that outsells something like XC2 with ease within such a short amount of time, just by brand recognition, even in Japan...

Then there is XC2 packed with content, enough to keep gamers satisfied for easily 100 hours or more and it barely sells 1M over the course of months...

JRPGs aren't all that popular anymore, really. FF and Kingdom Hearts can still do huge numbers, but past that, 2 million is pretty close to the cap and even that's pushing it for most games.

Kirby is a long-running franchise that's been going for over 25 years now and has remained quite popular throughout all that time. Xenoblade isn't even 10 years old and it's part of a genre that rarely produces mainstream hits as it is.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because Kirby is a great character? Why you feel the need to dump on the true mascot of Nintendo?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's Probably because context of 'xeno' is flying fast and loose.

Xb2 feels like a xenoBLADE game despite not being a seamless open world.

Gears, and the sagas, did NOT have that signature blade feel, that modern monolithsoft design signature. You could not have a trailer of just running around the overworld, the thing that the first xenoblade made it's mark with, and have people respond like they did to blade.

Are there people who didn't like the fact that you can have dozens of blade instead of using just one that play the same for hundred hours? I don't know how to respond to this, but i would be curious to know what's wrong on having more options and having more fun trying to unlock all of them.

Is new automatically bad?

Maybe, I don't see a lot of people 'talk shit' about the game here that are not huge fans of the series. And mostly it's within the games op, people who didnt like the game or series dont spend a whole lot of time in these threads past posting their experience.

Yes, yes it is. Like all modern monolithsoft games, it has very very strong design foundations, and even without saying things like calling ff15 overrated, a lot of people wound not hesitate to say things like exploration feel a lot better in xb2, or the series in general, than the much more expensive to make ffXV.

Here i'm talking about people influenced by the press and influencers that cared about this game around launch just to shit on it for random reasons like fanservice, combat system, dub, or certain franchises... and then you watch the way they played the game and you quickly realized, they did it in the worst possible way (rushing lots of parts, skipping most of the side quests, skipping entirely the tutorial,...) not sure if i'm allowed to quote these people here.

That's my personal rant on how a game is completely ignored if it doesn't have a certain name and it is not coming for a certain platform.

(Disclaimer: there is no console war, no whine, nothing... it's just incredibly annoying watching this certain degree of bias from an outside perspective)

I wished all these sites and channels spent at least half of the time talking about this game as they did with other JRPGs like Persona 5, because it's that good.

At the end of the day i'm really glad the game sold that well and the fact that both Xeno 1 and Xeno 2 made the Reader's choice top 300 games from GI, just to prove how some of these people were.

Again, the games mechanical flaws really don't surface very often. Certainly not any more often than the originals death by a thousand fetch quests, or X's less than ideal decision to gate all progress through levels.

That's the thing. Suddenly most of these people forgot the frustrations of the first Xenoblade Chronicles, nostalgia plays a big role here.

This from fans of the series seems to be the main point of contention, and literally the lynchpin that proves everything I've been talk8ng about.

It's ridiculous that people cannot play a game just because certain characters have big boobs or for some over sexualized outfit. Especially JRPG fans should be already used to this.

Which leads me to 2 main questions.

1. If you changed the costume designs to good looking outfits that don't piss a whole segment of people off, or make them put the box down and walk away, does the game become worse designed?

Can't answer this one since i'm totally fine with the outfits in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Do the landscape designs and exploration suddenly become worse than other games? Does the combat system people enjoy suddenly become broken and unplayable?

Absolutely not, i believe the exploration is actually far better in Xeno 2 than the first one. More variety from the environments and larger better cities. While i can't speak about the combat system since i haven't played Xeno X.

2. Would the people who are 'always comaining in xb2 threads' be 'always complaining in xb2 threads'?

I think not, as always most of these people will stop to complain as soon as fans will move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.