• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Rotbart at the opening segment of each games represents a warning/tutorial to players that the roads in this game aren't meant to be cakewalks and you should watch your surroundings. Same things for packs of high levels monster in specific roads meant to tell you that you cannot go everywhere you want.

But yeah, they can be frustrating, though I think it's part of the Xenoblade experience. :P

I suppose it could be worse - at least in Rotbart's case you can usually see him before he attacks you. It could be the Giza Plains in FFXII where wyverns twenty levels stronger than the party can aggro you from out of the sky and kill you without you even seeing them before it's too late.

Yes, I'm still traumatized.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...we're talking about the world and it's art direction so your point is really quite pointless.

But yes actually the more restrained modern infused Nomura designs are pretty unique for jrpgs and a hell of a lot better then the generic anime whiplash designs of XB2.

I would argue that Xeno 2 world is also quite unique there. There is no other game where u are living in a Titan back except Xeno 1. And this time with more Titan to explore

If you are talking about the areas being something common to other Jrpg with Desert, Grassy, Snow and Water region. FFXV is literally that too.

So hey that 1.3m statistic is pretty neat huh? Seems like a nice number. Some surprise was had.

It will hit 1.5 million in coming months and then we would probably had the same conversation again lol.^_^ But, if there is one sure thing. This game is 100% will become the most profitable Xeno series ever lol. Not only from SW sales, the season pass alone guaranteed that.^_^

I suppose it could be worse - at least in Rotbart's case you can usually see him before he attacks you. It could be the Giza Plains in FFXII where wyverns twenty levels stronger than the party can aggro you from out of the sky and kill you without you even seeing them before it's too late.

Yes, I'm still traumatized.

FF12 is famous for that shit. Literally outside of the city. We had a T-Rex lol. Which one shot u before ur Run Away word fully filled.O_O

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this on Switch since it seems a lot of people enjoy it. Though I have two questions: 1. Is it very anime? 2. Does it have anything to do with Xenogears?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, every Xenoblade game has has a level "fuck you" gorilla patrolling an early area with a large aggro range, so it's as much a part of the series' DNA as Nopon are. The first game is actually a bit worse in that regard, since they set up side quest triggers in advance, which leads to notorious bits of exploration hazards, like the cliff spider. And X has so many high-level monsters that attack on sight that parts of the game are on some serious Metal Gear shit, especially in Cauldaros.
A level fuck you...this is going into my nerd vernaculer, thank you

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FF12 is famous for that shit. Literally outside of the city. We had a T-Rex lol. Which one shot u before ur Run Away word fully filled.O_O

Insanely, that particular T-Rex is actually not hostile unless you attack it first! Which shocked the hell out of me the last time I played it.

Other T-Rexes...not so much. They will eat you.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this on Switch since it seems a lot of people enjoy it. Though I have two questions: 1. Is it very anime? 2. Does it have anything to do with Xenogears?
It's the best kind of anime. Complete with strong characters, great plot twists and very nuanced writing.

Story is standalone, but there are references/homages to other Xeno games here and there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The Xenogears connections are pretty much the same as everything Takahashi has done post-Xenosaga. There's a Zohar in it and there's some guy who's name is similar to Vanderkaum. And there's probably gonna be some godslaying at some point.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

1. 500% anime. And likely containing any trope you are currently thinking of when you are about to say 'well it doesn't do this right?'

2. The game is made by the same senior leadership that made gears and saga, which is why they were given the honorary xeno prefix. But they do not have anything else to do with them, as legally, they can't, as Xenogears is owned by squeenix. The games obviously share a lot of similar themes and imagery, because they were made/directed by some of the same people. Square enix would need to give their permission to link the franchises.

Namco did, which is why they have cameos from certain saga characters. But squareenix.... good luck.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 46 hours in and my favorite character is
Zeke
Am I alone on this? I haven't played him in battle yet but his character always cracks me up.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they kind of blew their creative load with Uraya, which is lovely. I guess Leftheria is neat too, but maybe suffers from being, like, two straight lines.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that Xeno 2 world is also quite unique there. There is no other game where u are living in a Titan back except Xeno 1. And this time with more Titan to explore

If you are talking about the areas being something common to other Jrpg with Desert, Grassy, Snow and Water region. FFXV is literally that too.

And I've argued before and still belive the titans didn't offer much. At no point did I see anything amazingly cool or feel immersed in the idea that these land masses were actual living creatures. It all could have been whatever if you took out some skyboxes. I would never know that you were on monsters. It would just appear as any sky island.

XB1 on the other hand has many moments where I realized I've actually climbed to the top of a giant mech gods finger.

In general one of my problems with XB2 is that the world feels like a step back from XBX and even one. It feels like they just made another big world and really didn't go past that. Two games in, I expected more.
And I'm talking about the aesthetic and art direction of the world. I find nothing remarkable about XB2's world compared to FFXV. It looks by the numbers.
I feel like they kind of blew their creative load with Uraya, which is lovely. I guess Leftheria is neat too, but maybe suffers from being.
The 2nd halfs level design feels rushed and quite pedestrian compared to the other Blade games.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd halfs level design feels rushed and quite pedestrian compared to the other Blade games.

I stopped right after getting to the Peninsula Rex is from and I was shocked by how...straight-line the level design appears to be. Does it open back up again after that, or is it gonna be that linear for the rest of the story?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
There's one or two big environments left, but it does get more linear towards the end. But, like FF15, I didn't mind it at all.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I stopped right after getting to the Peninsula Rex is from and I was shocked by how...straight-line the level design appears to be. Does it open back up again after that, or is it gonna be that linear for the rest of the story?
Nothing is as open as the first couple of islands.
Though the Archipelago is more open than it first appears. From there, it's more basic RPG style areas.
You can definitely tell they were strapped for time on design.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

There are two more "open" Titans after that, but one of them is largely optional (though finding the open part was sort of a "Holy cow" moment comparable to reaching the Bionis's leg in Xenoblade 1) and the best parts of the other are the bits that aren't open.

On the other hand, that's sort of the part of the game where you can really start doing the Blade sidequests (which usually require you to have access to all the towns in the game), so it's not quite as strapped for content as it may seem.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at XV male jpop band with belts and chains feeling that nomura is restrained there while shitting in the simple by his standards armour guys of nomura design in xb2. It somewhat even looks like his old art in some ways. Sigh...but keep moving goalpoasts, you are doing great.

And he can lol as much as he wants.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at XV male jpop band with belts and chains feeling that nomura is restrained there while shitting in the simple by his standards armour guys of nomura design in xb2. It somewhat even looks like his old art in some ways. Sigh...but keep moving goalpoasts, you are doing great.

And he can lol as much as he wants.
You keep calling them boy band, but that just reads as being insercure because they are very good looking characters which is stupid because FF characters are usually model esque in thier beauty.

And they are restrained(you didn't argue how they weren't just made fun of the fact that they are pretty). They look like outfits anyone could and would wear which is the complete opposite of normal Nomura designs which are usually overblown and not at all practical and realstic. Here they are and that's the definition of being restrained. Toning down his usual chains fetish. They look like something real people could wear which is pretty unique for a genre that is usually accused of having insane outfits.

And there's been no goal posts moved. My point has always been that XV's uniquness lies in its modern fantasy look which yes the character and outfit designs are reflective. It's only goal posts moving if you have no reading comphrension whatsoever.

So yes lol if you want, not having an argument seems to the norm for XB2 fans.

Nomura's XB2 designs while the only good ones in the game or rather generic and typical of his work. Extrmley bland, they look good compared to the rest of the game.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been playing lately GoW, and I don't like the boat in the game that much, it doesn't add anything good gameplay-wise.
Even the Wind Waker that has a good sailing system and some combats on the sea ,felt a little bit boring at the end when sailing.
SS is a good example, and the motion controls make it even worse.
All that said, I would like if the new Monolith game returns to a seamless world, it was one of the coolest aspects from X, being able to fly across the 5 continents...
Yeah, I think that's entirely fair. Skyward Sword's skyworld was completely pointless and it actually made the whole game feel kind of worse because of its existence. Adding some meaningless sky traversal between the Titans in XC2 might have helped established a sense of scale for the world as a whole but I don't think it would've been very fun. They also would've had to come up with even more contrivances to keep you from going straight to Yggdrasil immediately at the beginning of the game, and that already got tiring the first and second times it happened.
Yeah, I think that when it comes to that sort of traversing within game, there needs to be interesting things to do otherwise just going from point A to point B over long distances becomes boring. I didn't mention Wind Waker because I think some people did enjoy the travel-by-boat world, though it got a bit boring for me. If there's nothing to do then most everyone will opt for fast-travel, and that's what we basically ended up with here. Even in XCX you would probably fast-travel the majority of the time.
The Leftherian Peninsula while a bit linear has a few areas where it opens up. There's one or two more areas after that which are more open, but even the linear levels at the end have open areas which you may pass by as you're progressing through the main story but come back later to and explore further.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In an interview Takahashi mentioned they had thought about the idea of traversing the Cloud Sea in between Titans, but they couldn't figure out how to make that interesting and that you'd just be "flying through nothing" and it'd be boring. I don't think it was a technical limitation considering what they pulled off in XCX. But obviously you don't want to add in something if you can't figure out how to make it interesting, else it becomes like Skyward Swords utterly boring flying.

If Tabata worked on XBC2 he would think this would be okay and an amazing idea.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why I wasn't keen on my brief time with FFXV, an open world needs something to distract you or pull you in. The Witcher 3 of course is kind of the best example of that now as you'll always be coming across something totally new or unexpected in your road trips either on foot or horseback. It's that sort of sense of discovery that is what helps compel the player forward and wanting to discover more of the world. If the world is just filled with nothing, but empty sea or sky, then what good is it?

Skies of Arcadia had kind of a barebones sky world that you flew around in, but there were elements that did keep you exploring such as hidden treasures or locations that you could find to earn XP and items. And there were definitive "regions" where things looked and felt differently than other areas.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they had two very different intents. FFXV's goal was to create a world that could realistically exist and support a human population, which is why you're only seeing a small portion of the continent you explore.

XC2's world makes absolutely no sense as a place where people would actually live (much less support an entire population and several militaries and full industry), but it looks cool visually.

I think the two games have some things in common in that regard to be honest, both fail to present the world that it is meant to be.

Xenoblade 2 tells you about villages and castles that you can't visit (because they obviously don't exist) and the titans are too small, the cities are still too small, theres no place for all the ships uraya should have etc. no big enough military harbours and i really wonder were the queen resides in uraya. It's all more iconic.

While Final Fantasy has a bigger world the major city is lost. You travel mostly industry complexes and pampa. Still the streets are full of cars, with people doing as nothing happened. Were do all those people live? In fabrics? While the second town is ok, it should be another country with a totally different culture, the game tells you so. And that's not the feeling i get when driving 5 minutes per car in a realistic way. Also the restaurant at the beach is called a town, where are all those guests coming from? the world isn't believable in my opinion and i could even live better with the iconic titans in Xeno 2 where you had to use your imagination. (Don't get me wrong, i really like the towns in Xenoblade 2 even when they aren't realistic).

The other continent isn't open world anymore, it works somehow, but i didn't have the feeling this was a great empire, but that's a story decision too. Also the best designed "town" wasn't visitable. In my opinion FF 15 fails miserable in comparison to old FFs like 7-9 with classic worldmaps when it comes to scope of the world and how good the places feel. The world isn't that bad, but it doesn't completely fit the story and scope it should represent. Breath of the Wild did a better job for me, even when the world is smaller and the transitions of the different climatic zones are hard. FF 15 sometimes feelslike a little schooltrip.

I wish for a new Xenoblade game that mixes the best of Xeno 1+2 with X. A really big and well designed world with distinct places and some well designed cities and different cultures, a good mainstory and the better sidestories from Xenoblade X. I guess they would have to spend a lot more money on that though. The same for SE.

It could have been a good idea if the game was manufactured around that from the start, some flying titans, island titans. Some "normal Ships". But you have to fill that with meaningfull content and i don't think they had the time and manpower.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, every Xenoblade game has has a level "fuck you" gorilla patrolling an early area with a large aggro range, so it's as much a part of the series' DNA as Nopon are. The first game is actually a bit worse in that regard, since they set up side quest triggers in advance, which leads to notorious bits of exploration hazards, like the cliff spider. And X has so many high-level monsters that attack on sight that parts of the game are on some serious Metal Gear shit, especially in Cauldaros.

Damn that cliff spider. I stumbled upon it accidentally when exploring the gaur plain. Was only level 15 or so when it climbed over the cliff side and wrecked the party . I came back when level 35 or so and killed it.

Granted, I think Shulk is only level 70 in my game, and still unable to beat the very high level enemies.(haven't won game yet)

Playing Xenoblade on 3DS is pretty fun but the resolution is obviously poor. it makes Xeno 2 on Switch look amazing in comparison despite its own visual shortcomings.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I wish for a new Xenoblade game that mixes the best of Xeno 1+2 with X. A really big and well designed world with distinct places and some well designed cities and different cultures, a good mainstory and the better sidestories from Xenoblade X
I don't think you'll ever see "realistic" towns in a JRPG, just alone because of how costly such a thing would be, and also because most Japanese developers aren't that concerned with emulating "realism" in their creative worlds.

I think that the Xenoblade series is moving in that direction though when you compare the trajectory from the original to X and now 2. Things are getting bigger. In X the environment was huge though there was only one town. Now there are multiple towns and locations which have grown in size and number. We'll see what Takahashi has in mind for the next one.
Playing Xenoblade on 3DS is pretty fun but the resolution is obviously poor. it makes Xeno 2 on Switch look amazing in comparison despite its own visual shortcomings.
Yeah, I was lucky enough that I played the original on the Wii, because when I saw it on the 3ds the resolution downgrade was just awful. I definitely would be all in for a HD remaster of the original.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Considering this thread doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sales anymore, feel free to use the XBC2 OT for discussions about the game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.