• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand it's a sore point for people but as much as I support people like Planet Smasher and the general dislike this place has for pandering/over-sexualised character designs I feel they do themselves and their aims a real disservice acting like this. Like all that happened to Xenoblade and Fire Emblem was this and their overall quality as fun video games is irrelevant or just confidently ignored. Like all a franchise needs to do to succeed is 'go waifu'. Like there aren't hard working people who are excelling in areas other than the character design and they're getting aptly rewarded. Like come on with that first comment PlanetSmasher- it's really poor.

The only point I was making was that Nintendo made the right call releasing it in all territories with no weird release timings or retailer exclusives or anything of the sort. They had a product people wanted and they made it available.

And that I think the lesson they should learn is to keep doing that, not to double down on otaku nonsense like they did with Fire Emblem after its sales went up.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
See and that's the problem. The X sub series could be great. The first game was great and I don't want it to be tossed aside.

They probably should have given elma bigger boobs.

Can I just point out the irony of your extreme hate for "otaku" and pandering and fanservice while your avatar is Lady from Devil May Cry 2 with very obvious cleavage? I'm not the only one seeing this?

Yeah it's too bad because then they would have bought actual good jrpgs likes Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Look there you go again, Xenoblade 2 is trash because pandering, but you wish people bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Which is even more "anime" than XB2? Personally I like it too but it is so not Shin Megami Tensei and barely Fire Emblem that no shit no one bought it.

Right.

Well, anyway, good for this game, and whether or not XB2 sold because everyone who bought it just wants tits, complaining about a lot... again... ever since the game was announced... will not suddenly make it sell worse, nor would it make XBX play any better.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, it's not.

And I have already well adressed all the ways Nintendo dropped the ball on this franchise starting with it's debut. Try actually adressing some points.

Also, It's an 8 year old franchise.

If xenoblade was just another niche cutscene jrpg like xenosaga, not only would it have already faded into otaku pillow obscurity.... like xenosaga....

But it would have never made it to na period.

There is a massive defining difference between blade, and other games with a certain 4 letter prefix.

It's the reason it made it to NA in the first place.

No i am arguing on the fact that you are saying that the reason Xeno 2 is selling is simply because of the consoles and not the game itself which is insulting if you ask me. Xeno 2 can sold this far is simply because it is a good product period. Not some mumbo jumbo that probably won't even effect the sales by any huge amount there.

And how the hell is Xenoblade not a niche jrpg till Xeno2 when it never even able to beat any of those Gear or Saga number even once till now.O_O You are talking no sense there. Don't make Xenoblade into something it is not there. Xenoblade for how much critical darling it is to all its fans and jrpg fans, it is a niche game. It does not even come close Kirby number in the past and this one would also not be able to scratch any of Kirby sales number there. That shows how niche Xenoblade as a series is.

I believe it sold 300,000 in the period from January, but yes. It's had extraordinarily strong sales for a niche JRPG in the slowest period of the year, you don't just get those sales if the game itself has failed to resonate. A lot of people on this board will be loath to admit it, but Xenoblade 2 was a quality product that resonated strongly with audiences, generated strong word of mouth, and has continued to sell well as a result.

Yup. All the talks about Xeno 2 being released on best time without regard of the quality is false argument as, there is no way a bad game can had such long leg especially in Jrpg genre. We had seen how the sales more than double in japan and yet people still can't admit that Xeno 2 is a good product which resonate with fans, sales great and will make lots of money for Monolith Soft with their sublime Season pass support.

Yeah it's too bad because then they would have bought actual good jrpgs likes Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, The Last Story, and Resonance of Fate.

I literally bought and finished all those games and if i am monolith Soft, i would not want to return to that dark ages where my games can't sold.

Monolith Soft is doing business there. They are not doing charity works. If this method is allowing them to survive and making money while pleasing the majority of its fans, i would said this is the way they should go.

And, using TMS and RoF as example is just bad. Those 2 games bomba so bad that it is not funny at all lol.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Lady from Devil May Cry 4.

And simply being a sexy female character does. Or mean it's doing otaku pandering like XB2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. All the talks about Xeno 2 being released on best time without regard of the quality is false argument as, there is no way a bad game can had such long leg especially in Jrpg genre. We had seen how the sales more than double in japan and yet people still can't admit that Xeno 2 is a good product which resonate with fans, sales great and will make lots of money for Monolith Soft with their sublime Season pass support.

Never underestimate what desperate JRPG fans will spend money on. I bought Eternal Sonata. I bought Enchanted Arms. I bought Star Ocean 4 on two different consoles and I hate that game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only point I was making was that Nintendo made the right call releasing it in all territories with no weird release timings or retailer exclusives or anything of the sort. They had a product people wanted and they made it available.

And that I think the lesson they should learn is to keep doing that, not to double down on otaku nonsense like they did with Fire Emblem after its sales went up.

What's your opinion of them as games, say this game and Fire Emblem Fates/Awakening? It might be hard to separate the game and the character designs yeah but whenever I see a downplaying comment for these games focusing on the character designs I do feel that not only is it a disservice being done to the other aspects of the game but it strengthens the idea that pandering works. Like I've spoken a lot of my friends who may or may not make up 99.9% of the people still using a 3DS here in the U.K. about these games and the character design (specifically the pandering) is barely mentioned. There's lots to these great games that are leading to their great sales- I know we all didn't buy it just to have something to play on Switch/3DS or because we were horney.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Never underestimate what desperate JRPG fans will spend money on. I bought Eternal Sonata. I bought Enchanted Arms.

Seems like many of these "desperate JRPG fans" quite like the game though...

Edit: It's fine that you don't like the game and you have valid reasons for it, many do like the game and you are just being dismissive of that fact.

To be honest most of your posts I've seen recently have been quite dismissive, with posts on Octopath Traveler being some of them...

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018

And simply being a sexy female character does. Or mean it's doing otaku pandering like XB2.

I don't know, I don't see a good reason for a demon hunter to show off her tits for no reason.

And it's not like she's just sexy, you intentionally cropped a pic of an obvious pin-up / cheesecake pose.

I mean come on.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't have sold 200,000 more from January to March is people didn't respond to it. That's like 60% of Xenosaga 3's total sales period. It might not have been your thing, but being set up for success with the right console and the right release window can only get you so far if people don't like the product.
Indeed. Hasn't the trend for most 'niche' JRPG's been that after one month of sales they pretty much completely die? That XB2 has slowly continued to sell even in such a dry period of the year is a pretty decent accomplishment.

I think that while a 2M LTD may be a bit of a reach, Nintendo could come very close if they continue to promote the game, such as through a possible Smash appearance by Rex/Pyra and showcasing the upcoming Story DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see this game continue to have success. Probably a Top 10 all time RPG in my mind. I can't wait to see what more they do with it during the final DLC releases, and then see what Takahashi and co do next, whether its Xenoblade 3 or a return to X.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't know, I don't see a good reason for a demon hunter to show off her tits for no reason.

And it's not like she's just sexy, you intentionally cropped a pic of an obvious pin-up / cheesecake pose.

I mean come on.
Stop trying to argue with him, he jumps into every XB2 thread to voice his opinions on the game.

If he doesn't he'll die.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Again, your arguments are pretty dismissive, and don't take into account that Xenoblade 2 has continued to sell, unlike those games you mentioned. It generated positive word of mouth. People like it.

And people are allowed to like it. I'm not saying they aren't. The only point I'm making is that we're at a fulcrum point where Nintendo can either learn the right lesson (put a product out at the right time, support it, respect your audience) or the wrong lesson (people bought it because waifus, so we need to double down on them even more).

They learned the wrong lesson with Fire Emblem. My concern is that they will learn the wrong lesson with Xeno.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And people are allowed to like it. I'm not saying they aren't. The only point I'm making is that we're at a fulcrum point where Nintendo can either learn the right lesson (put a product out at the right time, support it, respect your audience) or the wrong lesson (people bought it because waifus, so we need to double down on them even more).

They learned the wrong lesson with Fire Emblem. My concern is that they will learn the wrong lesson with Xeno.
I mean Fates sold better than Awakening by a large amount, so can you really say it was the "wrong lesson", at least from a business perspective

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never underestimate what desperate JRPG fans will spend money on. I bought Eternal Sonata. I bought Enchanted Arms. I bought Star Ocean 4 on two different consoles and I hate that game.
Maybe you should stop buying games you hate? Plenty of people enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I'm not sure why you feel the need to continuously downplay that as 'desperation'. Desperation doesn't lead to 1 million+ sales for a JRPG, but good reception, strong word of mouth, and a quality product does.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a wonderful game; well deserved it sold so many units.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think it's story was great either tbh

Haha yeah obviously hyperbolic there, I really liked the gameplay and design but I just thought the story was so poor that I realized I never would play it again and just sold it but kept all the stuff like the art book and outer box that came with it.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Eh. You know that IS and Monolithsoft are two different studios, right?

IS does what it does with Fire Emblem. Monolithsoft does what it does it Xenoblade. They don't control each other's direction.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand what you are trying to implie here.

I doubt those Deperate JRPG fans are in the 100,000 numbers.

Seems like a minor thing.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Considering the huge sales of FE Fates and Awakening vs Echoes.
Considering how huge gacha money Fates and Awakening character bring vs Echoes character.

I would said they learn the correct lesson lol.

I mean come on.

He is okay with boobies from DMC character while he can't stand some character like Pyra lol. Thats why he sounds like hypocrite.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
People are seriously arguing that any previous Xeno (non-Blade) game would have significantly higher numbers if they had released in Europe?

Europe still isn't exactly JRPG land today, but at the time Gears and Saga were released, the market for that kind of game in Europe was borderline non-existent. So many PSOne (and to a lesser extent, PS2) JRPGS never saw an European release for damn good reason. They woulda bombed so hard.

People in the BOTW sales thread seem quite chill with accepting that non-N64 Ocarina sales aren't counted in the total sales of the game, which would probably still see OoT on top. But I'd be willing to bet that if Xenosaga did rerelease on Switch (and other consoles), some people here would be more than eager to count the sales of the rerelease in the total just to smite Xenoblade 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's some suspect judgement

I have regrets, and I've made mistakes out of boredom and desperation and having nothing to play. That was one of them.

I mean Fates sold better than Awakening by a large amount, so can you really say it was the "wrong lesson", at least from a business perspective

I mean, that's the question, right? Did Fates sell better because Awakening was popular or did it sell better because it's full of terrible pandering?

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Heaven forbid they make the games they want to make.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
And people are allowed to like it. I'm not saying they aren't.

Yeah, they're just desperate JRPG fans who care more about masterbating than playing the game, but 'sokay, you can like it if you want.

The only point I'm making is that we're at a fulcrum point where Nintendo can either learn the right lesson (put a product out at the right time, support it, respect your audience)

Is "respecting your audience" a jab towards the "otaku pandering" because if this is the case then why again are the most "pandering" titles in their series the ones that sell the most?

You could make the argument, I guess, that Xenoblade 2 sold more because it's on the Switch, but Awakening and all three versions of Fates, along with Warriors and Heroes and to a lesser extent Smash and the Cipher card games, all still did better than their predecessors, even in Japan which always liked Fire Emblem, despite their "otaku pandering", which will apparently doom the franchises if it continues (even though, again, Fire Emblem is bigger than ever).

Weirdly, you insist that there's pretty much no actual difference between any of these games besides the pandering but again, the pandering games are the ones that sell? It doesn't make them accessible but they also will doom the series?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is no meaningful difference between a character like Pyra and the character in your avatar pic. They are born from the same culture, serve the same aesthetic and design purpose (appealing to the straight male gaze) and are equally sexually objectified. You just look like a massive hypocrite when you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.