• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
This is great! Best Xeno-game ever!

Looking forward to the next Xeno-game more than before.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The story is much weaker than Xenogears and Xenosaga but it's still an incredibly entry in the series and deserves every bit of success.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get a Xenoblade X port. I could imagine it becoming my favorite in the series just because of how the game and its story seem to be structured in a way to give the utmost importance to the world itself instead of some small number of important characters inhabiting it. All the best open world games i have played did this. Though, i'm sure the combat system can't hold a candle to XBC2's.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think that? Takahashi has never confirmed that he's working on the new IP. He explicitly said that he's thinking about making more Xenoblade titles.

I would guess all hands are on deck for the new IP. I don't think they are big enough to evenly work on two big games at once.

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. I'm very happy for the developers. I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an incredible game, so the sales are well deserved.

I hope it's not the last we see of Rex and the gang.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess all hands are on deck for the new IP. I don't think they are big enough to evenly work on two big games at once.

To be fair most of the team worked on BOTW while XB2 was being made so its highly possible for a similar situation to occur with XB3/X2, hell you could argue with the success of XB2 they may put more manpower behind XB3 than the new ip so they can keep the Xenoblade train rolling.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me: "The game was okay, but I'm certainly not going to pay for DLC."

Xenoblade 2: "Here is Poppi Buster."

Me: "...goddammit."

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Afaik the story in Xenoblade X is pretty lame and filled with uninspired sidequests, being the endgame the best part of the title by far. If they are going to launch it on Switch, I wish they would obviate the filler and give you acess to the endgame more quickly.

I thought the quest all is soo good though? The normal mission really expanded the world and all its lore non stop with tons of consequences.

However the main story indeed is underwhelming under takahashi standard.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade 2 encapsulates the feeling I got from every RPG I've ever loved: The charm overwhelms the game's shortcomings.

The gacha mechanic sucks, the character designs needed more restraint from pandering and the main characters needed to wear proper pairs of pants. However, the memories I made with that story and those characters I will always look back on fondly.

PLEASE MAKE XENOBLADE 2-2 NINTENDO! PLEASE!

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
For what part ha ha. I'm guessing the second sentence.

With the new rare blade and the recent Namco Bandai trademark thing I'm beginning to think Monolith is preparing us for Xenosaga on the Switch : (. Pls...

I also can't wait the inevitable X port/remaster/whatever. Playing Xenoblade 2 only made me wish I could get back to X battle system. Poor game got released on a cursed(or cursing) system.

ahahah both!
i mean, i didn't fall in love with Xeno 2...probably it's because of the art direction tha i find less inspired then before...
Xeno 1 is still the best for me and X is fantastic!

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Nope and when I brought that up I got talked down to so I don't think anyone here cares.

Anyway, the sucsess is undeserved. Hopefully this leads to X getting a Switch port.

Well, I can see where you ate coming from, but the success certainly isn't undeserved.

Xb2 doesn't exist in a vacuum, a large amount of its success is built on the word of mouth of the previous games.

Now whether a section of those who bought the game based on previous entries were turned off the series by the games resorting to gacha kitschiness is another matter that won't be felt until next time.

If anything the games success is not undeserved, its being oversold.

It's actually landed exactly where I predicted it would when I made this point before the game released.

The game is competing against it' severely handicapped predecessors, and barely squeaking by on top.... Despite having massive advantages.

The original Xenoblade released in the last year's of the wii's life, well into Nintendo's mysterious era of not giving a shit about supporting the wii anymore.

We had to start an entire campaign just to get the fucking game to come to the states.

The game, graphically, looked like shit for the time, as any processing power the Wii had over the 6th gen machines was spent not in the assets detail, but on the scale of the world.

It only got released at one retail source, gamestop.

On top of that, we have no idea how well the game actually did, because after the first shipment, when Nintendo, after an eternity realized they had a critical darling hit, and finally sent out second and third shipments to gamestops, gamestop, began opening the new games, so they could sell them used at a 'demand' price of 90 bucks a pop, as opposed to a msrp, of 60 bucks for a new game.

And if anyone remembers the threads of the time, they were STILL stupid hard to find and constantly sold out in multiple states people posted from.

So Xenoblade, due to being hard to buy, left money on the table, gamestop didn't release info on a considerable amount of sales/shipments, so the actual units sold could be considerably higher than what was tracked, which was just the first shipment, it released on the last year's of an abandoned system, with zero marketing, only word of mouth.

X was on Wii u, so it already has both hands tied behind it's back. It was shown waaassay to early, it garnered tons of hype, personalities just seeing it at e3 would literally stop what they were commenting on and go etc is that, space dinosaurs fighting me has? What the he'l is That? What system is it On?

But then it became a carrot on a stick, always being trotted out, and never released. For nearly the entire systems life span. It wore out it' welcome, and people just began to nitpick it, because there was nothing else to do. The Wii u went completely down the shitter during that time, and all flaws the game had were magnified by the fact we had an eternity to pick at them before the game came out.

Xb2 on the other hand, came out in the launch window, of a hot hot hot system. It' visuals are far better in comparison to it'I peers co.pared to the wii, AND its basically the most powerful portable system on the market. It had plenty of exposure, it had commercials, but it wasn' strung along for years, before coming out.

The game is a perfect fit for what the audience is craving, looking at a game who' smain selling point owes just about everything to monolithsoft signature expertise, a fantastically designed large world to get lost in. Looking at a game, that became the best selling game in its franchise, of which a considerable part of the 'new' identity is literally monolithsofts top of class world design signature.

It is completely impossible, given these circumstances, for the game to sell worse than it' predecessors, who in comparison had their hands and feet tied.

But it just barely squeaks above them.

The game, if it was comparable to its predecessors in accessibility should be tracking 2-3 million by now.

The franchise deserves better than this. It's earned better than this, just based on the quality of its predecessors.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Xb2 on the other hand, came out in the launch window

Do people even know what "launch window" means anymore?

It is completely impossible, given these circumstances, for the game to sell worse than it' predecessors, who in comparison had their hands and feet tied.

XC2 also sold better than every other Xeno game. Period.

Games that were released on even more popular systems by the way.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I like that you can do short sessions because that's what I'm into these days (with longer sessions on weekends or something like that).

Did they improve the portable experience since launch? I heard that wasn't great.

Also, thanks for the info!
I don't actually know since I didn't really start till January after the first patch, but honestly I didn't feel like my experience was bad or anything. The resolution is sub-native, yes, and there are a few places where the framerate dips, but the experience never felt bad to me (it was never unplayable), or like my experience was negatively compromised. It's totally fine.

Like when people say something is bad, it always has to be the worst when they experience it, and that's definitely not the case here. Surely the sales speak for themselves, heh. I think if the portable mode was actually as bad as some made it out to be, it wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Also you're welcome!

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But it just barely squeaks above them.

The franchise deserves better than this. It's earned better than this, just based on the quality of its predecessors.

I read all those statements however, i would call this statement bullshit lol. Firstly, Xeno 1 and X never ever reach 1 million. So Xeno 2 hitting 1.3 million not even in a year shows that it is not barely squeaks those two older title. It past them comfortably.

Secondly. No game if it don't have quality would be able to do this well especially having such long legs for Jrpg which is a genre so unfriendly towards long legs. That means, Xeno2 had both the quality and it resonate well with the fans.

Apr 10, 2018
Had a lot of gripes with this game but really, really enjoyed my time with it overall. Great to see that it's selling well.

God Tier Soundtrack.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that 300-500k growth for the xenoblade series, which has never sold above 1 million before, is small growth is pretty hilarious. It grew by at least 31% over the next best selling title in the series, if not more. That's pretty amazing no matter what. And niche JRPGs tend not to experience loads of growth just because of higher console numbers

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
So happy Monolith is doing well, they are one of my favourite developers since I played Xenogears and one of the smartest acquisitions Nintendo has made over the years.

Give me more Xeno games!!!

Nov 2, 2017

To be perfectly fair, Xenogears, Xenosaga episode 1 and Xenosaga episode 3 were never released in Europe, so that will definitely affect sales numbers.

Still, while I can understand hoping the game would've sold even better, I'm just going to be satisfied with these sales.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
As with the Q4 numbers, a lot of people are acting like there will never be another copy of Xenoblade 2 shipped after these numbers are released.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As with the Q4 numbers, a lot of people are acting like there will never be another copy of Xenoblade 2 shipped after these numbers are released.
I mean, JRPGs are not a franchise with great tail sales, they tend to be fairly frontloaded, so I wouldn't expect the number to go up that much. At best I'd expect around 1.5 million long term, and even that might be a stretch

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears
Release date: February 1998
Copies sold: 1.19 million as of March 2003

Xenosaga Episode I
Release date: February 2002
Copies sold: Over 1 million as of July 2003

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Release date: December 2017 (WW)
Copies sold: 1.3 million as of March 2017

Hmmmm... Xenoblade 2 is far more impressive in this age than what Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I did in their respective time periods.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, JRPGs are not a franchise with great tail sales, they tend to be fairly frontloaded, so I wouldn't expect the number to go up that much. At best I'd expect around 1.5 million long term, and even that might be a stretch

Sure, but i feel Xeno 2 is already kinda the exception already lol. As even in japan alone. Xeno 2 already hit 310k sold. And that is already double the amount from what it had launched. i feel the crazy amount of meme and high content of the season pass is helping tons of the legs especially with the crazy good cameo from Xenosaga lol.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people even know what "launch window" means anymore?

Lol, out of everything I said this is all you can latch onto?

The game released mere months Into the systems life. The system launched worldwide in March, and the game was on shelves in December. During fucking Christmas sales frenzy. It launched during the holidays. Good luck spinning that. The original and x released in fucking april. The only worst time to release than March and April, is January or February.

Oh wow. Monolithsoft had platform holder 1st party publisher status on Sony systems?

It sold more than Baiten Kaitos too OMG!!!

None of those games, even ignoring the fact they are different franchises, on different systems, are remotely in the position the Xenoblade franchise was in. It had everything it needed to be the franchises breakout success, and instead, it's sitting barely above it's handicapped predecessors.

The ball was dropped hard. Corporate apologism isnt going to change that.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Great news!

I hope they maintain the anime style and keep working with Saito.

There is a huge fanbase in the west that love how it looks.

Also, great place for waifus.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The game already sold another 250,000 in a slow quarter a month after release. It's not really unreasonable that it can do another 200,000 lifetime, especially with its DLC. To be honest, I think the game will likely end up at something like 1.7 million.

A few qualifications have been that Xenosaga 1 and Xenogears were never released in Europe. That's true. At the end though, Xenoblade 2 is going to sell well past both of them to the point where I'm not sure if it would've made a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

The game released mere months Into the systems life. The system launched worldwide in March, and the game was on shelves in December. During fucking Christmas sales frenzy. It launched during the holidays. Good luck spinning that. The original and x released in fucking april. The only worst time to release than March and April, is January or February.

Oh wow. Monolithsoft had platform holder 1st party publisher status on Sony systems?

None of those games, even ignoring the fact they are different franchises, on different systems, are remotely in the position the Xenoblade franchise was in. It had everything it needed to be the franchises breakout success, and instead, it's sitting barely above it's handicapped predecessors.

... This is some sort of joke post right?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I do not imagine there is a single person working at Nintendo that expected Xenoblade 2 to sell 2-3 million by now.

Xenoblade 2 has probably already sold more than Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade X combined.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

31% more than previous release is not barely above bruh. Do u even Math?O_O

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally deserved, my most played Switch game yet.

Can't wait to see what Monolith has in store next.

That awkward feeling when you're wrong yet keep digging. :lol

Christmas or not, Xeno series is a more or less niche JRPG, I don't know where you got the idea that it should have sold more than that. Anyways, keep downplaying that success all you want, it stays the best selling entry in the series.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well deserved! Can't wait for Monolithsoft's next game.

And folks, you don't want XBX on Switch. The game was bad.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Don't peddle conspiracy theories on the forum.
I do not imagine there is a single person working at Nintendo that expected Xenoblade 2 to sell 2-3 million by now.

Xenoblade 2 has probably already sold more than Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade X combined.

Thats... debatable, we have no idea how much the first Xenoblade sold, as in the region it sold the most in, gamestop fudged the shipment numbers after the first shipment so they could sell 'used' games at 90 dollars a pop instead of new games at 60. The game was so hard to find, and thought for so long to not even be coming stateside, it's piracy rate of well over a million puts it in the category of one of the most pirated games of all time, at a quarter of modern warfare 2 at the top of the list, which sits at 4 million. Anyone want to compare popularity levels behind one of the biggest call of dutys and a Japanese rpg on 'The fucking two gamecube duct taped together' system?

As for the sales, Whether or not that is actually impressive depends on what the numbers are.

A game that sells 10 copies sold 10x more than it's predecessor that only sold one, but that' not really worth much.

Of course there isn't a single person at Nintendo who has any idea what Xonoblade could be selling.

There wasnt a single person working at Nintendo who had any idea what xenoblade was, what they had, or who expected Xenoblade to ever sell period with the first game.

It's almost like we had to have an entire campaign calling Nintendo out on their clueless out of touch shit to even get the game, And Nintendo being complete fuckups left money all over the table.

It's hilarious that the whole reason anyone, ANYONE in na can even be a fan of xenoblade in the first place is because of people not being corporate worshippers, and pointing out Nintendo dropped the ball....

And then you look at this.

Nintendo just xenobladed again.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thats... debatable, we have no idea how much the first Xenoblade sold, as in the region it sold the most in, gamestop fudged the shipment numbers after the first shipment so they could sell 'used' games at 90 dollars a pop instead of new games at 60. The game was so hard to find, and thought for so long to not even be coming stateside, it's piracy rate of well over a million puts it in the category of one of the most pirated games of all time, at a quarter of modern warfare 2 at the top of the list, which sits at 4 million. Anyone want to compare popularity levels behind one of the biggest call of dutys and a Japanese rpg on 'The fucking two gamecube duct taped together' system?

As for the sales, Whether or not that is actually impressive depends on what the numbers are.

A game that sells 10 copies sold 10x more than it's predecessor that only sold one, but that' not really worth much.

Of course there isn't a single person at Nintendo who has any idea what Xonoblade could be selling.

There wasnt a single person working at Nintendo who had any idea what xenoblade was, what they had, or who expected Xenoblade to ever sell period with the first game.

It's almost like we had to have an entire campaign calling Nintendo out on their clueless out of touch shit to even get the game, And Nintendo being complete fuckups left money all over the table.
Can you provide an actual source on those piracy numbers because i've Heard similar before and never found a goddamn thing on how much it was pirated and the numbers in general seem suspect due to the specs needed for dolphin emulation

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. The game is far from my favorite in the Xeno series (Gears still maintains that position), but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. It was probably my favorite game of last year, just barely edging out Zelda.

That soundtrack is straight up god tier as well. One of the best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.