• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I get the impression that Monolith Soft is very well managed. It's amazing how they were able to put out such a massive game only two and a half years after the last one, while assisting on other Nintendo games and still seemingly having the bandwidth to be working on another large game of their own at the same time.

Monolithsoft staff are incredible really. always been =) its why whenever their studio logo alone pops in a direct or such, I scream with excitement.

Tons of very experienced and excellent workers in there, from a loong time.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I hated aspects of X but I am about 5 hours into 2 and thoroughly enjoying it. Good job B team.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Full Blade Staff, two other square enix designers helped nomura with the Torna Clan

ZybApry.png

hiqT38r.png

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
The rest of the studio is obviously working on their online fantasy game.
Not that surprising.
Their "B Team" has always out out amazing games on the DS and 3DS, so making an amazing game for Switch seems logical.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Big parts of Monolithsoft having been busy with Zelda doesn't mean that Xenoblade 2 was developed by a B team. People seriously need to stop giving teams names like that -- as if anyone at Monolith was thinking: "Oh yeah, we give Xenoblade 2 to our lesser staff while we work on Zelda". Classifying teams like that is silly and frankly insulting.

Apart of that, I was always expecting Xenoblade 2 to be developed by a smaller team considering Monolith's involvement with BotW seems to have been quite extensive. I was expecting Xenoblade 2 to be a smaller game due to that -- and I was honestly surprised when it wasn't. They did great work handling two big projects side by side.

Monolith Tokyo (the main studio) wasn't involved with the production of Mario Kart, was it? I think Zelda was the only time Monolith's development studio helped on the production of a Nintendo project to a significant degree. Monolith Kyoto, on the other hand, was founded to support Nintendo's internal teams and has helped with a lot of games (they are mostly just creating assets though, they don't seem to have more than a couple of programmers if at all).

Half of us here are using "B team" in a facetious manner.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if some of the people involved in art that went on to BoTW could have influenced the art style in Xenoblade 2 to be less anime.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If dealing with large time skips like Xenogears' greater episodic plan this is a possible if unlikely scenario.
according to Takahashi, numbered games focus on story (and are unrelated) while the X line is open world/online focused. the medieval game can easily fit in the X line. especially with XC1 and XC2 not being related

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Freaking wizards, all of them. Xenoblade 2 has been awesome so far, and it's impressive that such a big world with so much detail was done in so little time by a relatively-small group of people. And writing and producing so much GOOD music in the amount of time they did is no small feat.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I suppose this is an attempt to say "this is why XB2 sucks so much compared to the other games" but what I played yesterday was overall fantastic. If anything, the game starts slower than the other two, but it does feel like Xenoblade.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
B team lol.
On a site note, I think Monolith is kind of a waste, they could be the new Squaresoft of the 90s 00s, but they're lacking in the originality, character design and gameplay department IMO.
Their game design/art is just too niche.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm gathering from this is it's believable that Monolith could have another project out in 2020, then.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Team A was involved in BotW.

So far animation took quite a hit, it feels like a PS2 game in that aspect. Graphics are very good though
'Feels/looks like a PS2 game' should be a bannable offense at this point

And by banned I mean banned from society altogether

Anyway, Monolith has gone beast mode for a while now and they've turned me into a fan

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I suppose this is an attempt to say "this is why XB2 sucks so much compared to the other games" but what I played yesterday was overall fantastic. If anything, the game starts slower than the other two, but it does feel like Xenoblade.

I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with the quality of the game (haven't picked it up myself so I wouldn't know), but just that it's of interest of some people to know how Nintendo's resources are allocated. The fact that there are so many at Monolith who didn't work on XB2 probably means the new game they're hiring for isn't five years away, for example.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me how many people were from Baten Kaitos: Origins? That one was made with Tri-Ace as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Clicked expecting to find something about the staff themselves analysing the game. Disappointed, would love to have bookmarked that for when I'm done.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B team lol.
On a site note, I think Monolith is kind of a waste, they could be the new Squaresoft of the 90s 00s, but they're lacking in the originality, character design and gameplay department IMO.

For me they are exactly this. The games are aa, no tripple a, but the quality, the fantasy, the scope of the games, it's there. I would be happy if SE was still this good, doesn't matter if they have higher budgets. Also Monolithsoft is essentially a part of the old Square that broke off if you look at the people that work there :)

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me how many people were from Baten Kaitos: Origins? That one was made with Tri-Ace as well.

Can't really tell for less known stuff, Honne (the director of BK) was working on Xenoblade 2 as well. Koh Kojima was the lead writer for Origins and is the producer of Xenoblade 2. For the Tri-Ace Stuff i don't know who worked on both games.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They need to patch that can't believe it was released in that state
I hate Dynamic resolution, its so distracting playing and suddenly your resolution tanks its worse to me than framerate drops.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not think there are two "teams" of Monolith the way people seem to be thinking of here. As was said here:
Big parts of Monolithsoft having been busy with Zelda doesn't mean that Xenoblade 2 was developed by a B team. People seriously need to stop giving teams names like that -- as if anyone at Monolith was thinking: "Oh yeah, we give Xenoblade 2 to our lesser staff while we work on Zelda". Classifying teams like that is silly and frankly insulting.

Apart of that, I was always expecting Xenoblade 2 to be developed by a smaller team considering Monolith's involvement with BotW seems to have been quite extensive. I was expecting Xenoblade 2 to be a smaller game due to that -- and I was honestly surprised when it wasn't. They did great work handling two big projects side by side.
I mean, this is a Takahashi and K.Kojima directed game, so it's definitely not being done by a second "team".

Oct 25, 2017
This definitely supports the idea that the new action game and future Xenoblade games can coexist with them being able to work on both games side by side. I'd guess that a lot of the X to Breath of the Wild staff are on that game.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This makes so much sense, it's crazy. Thank you for posting. Means all hope is not lost for the series if they can get an A team working on it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not think there are two "teams" of Monolith the way people seem to be thinking of here. As was said here:

I mean, this is a Takahashi and K.Kojima directed game, so it's definitely not being done by a second "team".

I mean, I'm just going by the OP's thrust that the main folks didn't work on the game and/or the assertion of B team. We can reword it as production group or whatever, it's still a group who have proven they can put together an amazing project, be flexible in working with teams elsewhere to outsource etc and apparently without a lot of the talent Op expected. It's impressive however we specifically slice it.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I guess in a way it's more like... Team B rather than B Team. Not lesser, just secondary.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
B team also got this game out in record time. Everyone was saying no way to it being out this year. Monolith continues to be Nintendo's best acquisition.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Purchasing Monolith from Namco has to be one of the best business decisions Nintendo has ever made... I'm looking forward to whatever they do next.
And one of the best things that could happen to Monolith is being bought by Nintendo considering how they were being handled by Bamco.
After the establishment that was funded by Namco (now Bandai Namco Games), Monolith Soft had become a subsidiary of Nintendo following a stock transfer in 2007. Please share more details from the time.
Hirohide Sugiura, Executive Producer: "When Monolith Soft was established, it was actually Namco founder Masaya Nakamura who took great care of us. Nakamura-san's thoughts on creation was very relatable, he treated us well, and talked to us about all kinds of things. After his retirement, there was a new atmosphere—which is a given, but I felt there was a change from Nakamura-san's grand ideas."
It seems with the new management their studio was kinda throw to the way side, Bamco new focus didn't align with what Monolith wanted to do.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the dynamic nature of the way the production units at Nintendo work means that those groups aren't as defined as some seem to think. The only formal and persistent distinction at Monolith is Tokyo/Kyoto.

If there was a real distinction, "Fantasy team"/"Sci-fi team" sounds better though, even if just jesting.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B team lol.

Well, tere's no character designer in Monolith since Takahashi said it in a interview this week.
There's a motive for how they get guest character designers for each Xenoblade and now they're using Saito for the party, Nomura for the villains and guest artists of different areas for the rare blades

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it in handheldmode and probably won't, on my TV it looks gorgeous though.