• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Graphically, the best thing about X1 were the glorious environments of Bionis. It will be great to see them in the remaster. The titan has really stuck with me, especially Satori marsh and Makna forest

Mechonis has some great locales too including the Fallen Arm, Agniratha, Central Factory, etc. XC has the most varied places in the series IMO.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i liked the stories and characters of this, but the combat was tedious so i dropped it. copy and past for xb2 except i hated every single character in the 10 hours i played. the world is always so gorgeous though, i wish i could get into them.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Not really fussed about what people label it, but this just isn't true. There is very obviously new geometry in all of those screenshots.
Yeah let's just ignore the clear upgrade in geometry/poly count in the Gaur Plains pillars and fallen arm circle or the addition of foliage on the fallen arm.
Pretty much the same? Erm.....no they are not. Almost every single comparison screenshot in the OP shows added polygons to the environments. The second and third picture alone shows huge improvement to the building. The building in the Wii version has very blocky parts. The Switch version has all that smoothed out by adding a lot of polygons. The Wii version often has vegetation as just a texture. The Switch version has actual polygonal vegetation.

How can you look at this comparison screenshot and say they look exactly the same?
Polygonal upgrade, vegetation upgrade, cloud upgrade, drawing distance upgrade.

Fallen_Arm_Comparison_1.png

I guess I'm clueless when it comes to graphics because other than the vegetation change and resolution bump I honestly can't see any significant difference in that screenshot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
They did not only added a lot more polygons to the environments to smooth things out, but parts actually casts shadows too.

VRpiZG0.jpg

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I guess I'm clueless when it comes to graphics because other than the vegetation change and resolution bump I honestly can't see any significant difference in that screenshot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You don't notice how in the original the large circular arch structure is like a hexagon but in the Definitive Edition it's smoothed out? A regular remaster would have just upscaled it to HD.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That's disappointing. Seems like it'd be a good game for handheld play but I'll just have to play on the monitor (assuming this performs similarly).
We'll see. Don't write anything off yet, I'd hope for a remaster of a Wii game (even though it seemingly is getting redone in many ways) it would look a little sharper than a rushed out Switch game haha

But didn't Monolith retool the rendering pipeline for Torna? I thought that meant performance would be better. Is that not the case?
That's what they claimed, I noticed no difference while playing Torna; I suppose performance was better? Res seemed the same to me.
Y'know what would be awesome?

A release on June 12th.

That would be exactly 10 years (and two days) after the original Japanese release.
Great idea!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'd love to see TP re-done again though, it won't happen but it deserves it. Maybe on the next Nintendo platform, the more power the better; next gen remakes are going to be insane.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
That's what they claimed, I noticed no difference while playing Torna; I suppose performance was better? Res seemed the same to me.
HH mode was actually far better in Torna the the base game. If you play a bit of 2, then switch over to Torna you can tell.

Still heavily anti aliesed, but its sharper, bit higher res and more fps

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This game has the most beautiful world in a video game ever. Can't wait to see how Valak Mountain will be in HD... oh my.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Absolutely massive jump. I remember 11 year old me being blown away at how amazing the world looked on the Wii (Yeah, I know it wasn't actually that impressive even by then's standards, shut up). Once I get a Switch, this will almost certainly be one of my first buys.

What they built on a Wii was unquestionably brain melting even back then! That art direction, draw distance, those vistas, the sheer scale, all the detail, really quick load times, no bugs to speak of, buttery smooth performance (outside of effects-heavy battles), it remembered every single item drop you left lying around in the entire world!

They ate EVERYBODY's lunch with this game. A year before Skyrim came out. Xenoblade wiped the floor with other video games. It's just that barely anybody plus their grandma paid attention to this "niche 100h JRPG on the Wii." Now it's coming for a victory lap. Fuck yea.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more I realize this is the best Xenoblade and one of the best games ever. The world is on these 2 Titans is amazing. I love how the world opens up. I just love the feeling of the party and adventure you go on. The music is amazing. The environments are great. The game feels "homey". It has the Final Fantasy 9 feel that I love so much.

I just can't wait to see all the changes and additions.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
What they built on a Wii was unquestionably brain melting even back then! That art direction, draw distance, those vistas, the sheer scale, all the detail, really quick load times, no bugs to speak of, buttery smooth performance (outside of effects-heavy battles), it remembered every single item drop you left lying around in the entire world!

They ate EVERYBODY's lunch with this game. A year before Skyrim came out. Xenoblade wiped the floor with other video games. It's just that barely anybody plus their grandma paid attention to this "niche 100h JRPG on the Wii." Now it's coming for a victory lap. Fuck yea.
Eh, RDR was already out the year before and from tech perspective XB cant really hold a candle.
Also the only thing really going for it on the Wii is the size of maps; textures, models and pretty much everything was kind of low for what the Wii could do. Which is why we're in this Remake situation.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Makna_Forest_Comparison.png

In this case I definitely prefer the original game. It looks much brighter and more vibrant. The new version looks so dark and dreary. :/

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Eh, RDR was already out the year before and from tech perspective XB cant really hold a candle.
Also the only thing really going for it on the Wii is the size of maps; textures, models and pretty much everything was kind of low for what the Wii could do. Which is why we're in this Remake situation.
RDR came out a few weeks before Xenoblade. You're saying a PS360 AAAA game has better graphics tech than a Wii game. This is not what I'm talking about ...obviously?!

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I've never played a Xenoblade game before but I'm kind of intrigued by this. Somehow this feels more emotional than what I saw of Xenoblade 2 which didn't grab my attention for some reason.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
The
RDR came out a few weeks before Xenoblade. You're saying a PS360 AAAA game has better graphics tech than a Wii game. This is not what I'm talking about ...obviously?!
You literally just said "They ate EVERYBODY's lunch with this game. A year before Skyrim came out. Xenoblade wiped the floor with other video games."

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Absolutely massive jump. I remember 11 year old me being blown away at how amazing the world looked on the Wii (Yeah, I know it wasn't actually that impressive even by then's standards, shut up). Once I get a Switch, this will almost certainly be one of my first buys.

Xenoblade was absolutely and unquestionably super impressive by Wii's standards. It's just that people have forgotten what those standards were. :D

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The original looks so muddy and ugly to me (to the point that I couldn't bring myself to play it back when it first launched), and the DE doesn't look like it's improved much (especially considering it's 2 gens ahead).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, now I'm wondering how 11 y/o me would have reacted to Xenoblade. I guess I would never have recovered from the sheer epicness of it all.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice but the lack of surround sound in the Xenoblade games bothers me more than it should. If they don't do anything about that aspect of the game, I don't think I'll be picking it up, no matter how much it's improved graphically.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks nice but the lack of surround sound in the Xenoblade games bothers me more than it should. If they don't do anything about that aspect of the game, I don't think I'll be picking it up, no matter how much it's improved graphically.
Not playing one of the best games of all times due to surround sound? Okay

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I cant imagine they'll change the story to truly implement the shoulder, they'll probably just add it as a side area with a few new unique monsters and some simple side quests

The shoulder has some houses and what seems like a village though. They can implement more npcs while still keeping everything there self-contained.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Not playing one of the best games of all times due to surround sound? Okay
What an odd complaint.
A Google search for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition yields 347,000 results. Searching for Xenoblade + surround sound gets you 418,000.

It may not be an opinion that you share but, like it or not, high quality sound is as important to some people as high quality graphics are to others. For me, it's especially true when a game takes place within a proper 3D environment.

I'll underestand if time constraints, technical or financial reasons prevent them from implementing surround sound (doesn't mean I'll buy it, but I'll understand), but I can't think of any good reason why Monolith Soft should want to remaster the game to 2020 quality graphics whilst leaving the sound in the 20th century.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Is this the one with huge texture pack on Dolphin? I tried this out. Looked pretty bare to me despite massively improved textures. I hope can they enliven this game for a new gen.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
A Google search for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition yields 347,000 results. Searching for Xenoblade + surround sound gets you 418,000.

It may not be an opinion that you share but, like it or not, high quality sound is as important to some people as high quality graphics are to others. For me, it's especially true when a game takes place within a proper 3D environment.

I'll underestand if time constraints, technical or financial reasons prevent them from implementing surround sound (doesn't mean I'll buy it, but I'll understand), but I can't think of any good reason why Monolith Soft should want to remaster the game to 2020 quality graphics whilst leaving the sound in the 20th century.
Xenoblade + surround sound get me to stadis news with Surround headset ads.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
That is not how you use google # results
It's not definitive, far from it, but given those numbers and the the fact that the top hits are literally "Does this game not have surround sound", "PSA for everyone hoping to play in surround sound", "Surround Sound? : Xenoblade_Chronicles" [plus a list of disgruntled threads on the theme], "List of Wii U games that support 5.1 surround (with a post complaining about Xenoblade flagged up)", "Can we talk about the lack of surround sound in some switch games" [from... Resetera] and so on, it would take a special kind of stupid for someone to deny that this is something that can be detrimental to many people's enjoyment of a game.