• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EUDR8mnU0AED9Gt

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Is Melia carrying some sort Monado in that art?
I imagine it's like the makeshift Monado in the sense that the technology is something Shulk has developed/learned how to reverse engineer, or so I hope. That would be really cool to see for him as a character to be outfitting the world with weapons that can handle things like Mechon and such.

I was unsure about the UI at first because it seemed kinda...weird and more graphic design-y and cartoony almost but it's clean as fuck and I'm board with the changes. I loved seeing all the little animations they do in their little boxes on the party menu too. Nice touches.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Can we also take a moment to appreciate that this was a left-for-Japan franchise that finally was released as a Gamestop exclusive at the twilight of the Wii's life that's now a full-on franchise for Nintendo? It's really awesome to see. I'm so happy for MonolithSoft.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do like the art style of the original game more. Of course the graphics are nowhere near as good but no one means that when they say they like the art style. If you look at comparisons the general shape of the character's faces and features are different between the two versions.

Not that I think the new version is bad, I think it works but it isn't a straight upgrade of the old art style but rather a new interpretation in a different style.
I just want you to know that I completely agree and you are not a crazy person (at least, not because of this)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it's like the makeshift Monado in the sense that the technology is something Shulk has developed/learned how to reverse engineer, or so I hope. That would be really cool to see for him as a character to be outfitting the world with weapons that can handle things like Mechon and such.

I was unsure about the UI at first because it seemed kinda...weird and more graphic design-y and cartoony almost but it's clean as fuck and I'm board with the changes. I loved seeing all the little animations they do in their little boxes on the party menu too. Nice touches.
There are makeshift monados in the original game and Shulk didn't develop them.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Really liking how the top left bar for the main menu is Monado shaped. The menu looks soo good.

The Shadow of the Colossus remake was about on this scale, maybe even more effort and it was $40.
Oh cool. This game has updated graphics, soundtrack, additional plot elements, new quality of life updates... that we know of so far. So not only does it have nothing to do with SotC, your comparison is wildly off base in terms of scale of improvements. If it's not worth it to you, that's fine, but it's a standard price and one that isn't going to surprise the majority of people I think. If you want to complain about Nintendo prices you can look at how they charged $10 more for a port of DKC Tropical Freeze than the original even costed, but this game is entirely justified in it's price.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that looks good... but I really don't need to play this again. Especially not if it's gonna be more expensive than every other version of the game was at launch to boot... but boy it looks swell.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we also take a moment to appreciate that this was a left-for-Japan franchise that finally was released as a Gamestop exclusive at the twilight of the Wii's life that's now a full-on franchise for Nintendo? It's really awesome to see. I'm so happy for MonolithSoft.

Left-for-Japan and Europe. ;) Only NA got it delayed and as a Gamestop exclusive.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The Shadow of the Colossus remake was about on this scale, maybe even more effort and it was $40.

XC is a way, way (way) bigger game - no matter how much better the graphical prowess itself is (which is just a result of the PS4 being more powerful in general).

In this case the $60 is pretty justified. Redone graphics, re-recorded soundtrack, gameplay and UI changes/improvements plus a good chunk of new content.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The method of customization isn't gacha in terms of money spent, but you won't hear hardly anyone defend the way the blade rolls work. However regardless of the method, there is more customization and in greater depth in XB2. Which is what I was calling out. Not the methodology.

I think XB2's actual system is way better, but hate the gacha. But when Torna came out the problem became that all that build diversity was almost gone because of the fact that everyone was locked into blades. I believe in the middle, with preset blades and then optional blades that can be freely swapped between drivers is the perfect blend of the system.

Regardless there is less customization in XB1, but we'll see if they change the system at all.
You and I have very different definitions of customization then. You seem more focused on the individual whereas I'm more focusing on the party. While it's true the characters in XB1 have their roles locked for the most part, and so their individual customization is limited to their roles, it's more about the group dynamic; you're beating enemies using a party after all. And the characters in XB1 all play pretty differently. Using a party without Shulk has a different dynamic. Using a party without Sharla has a different dynamic. The cool thing is you can beat all the high level boss enemies with pretty much any combination and so you customize to beat them. In XB2, it's a bit different as it becomes impossible to beat bosses at a certain point without playing a game of Bejeweled. So the entire battle system becomes focused on that mechanic. The battle system in XB1 isn't reliant on the Monado. You can beat enemies just fine without it. It offers more freedom, even without taking the gacha mechanic into consideration.

There are also the gem, affinity and skill link systems in XB1, which I find more engaging than whatever XB2 has. It doesn't help that most of the customization of Poppi is locked behind a minigame.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see how the epilogue works
As far as we know the Bionis and Mechonis don't exist anymore after the end of the game and the world is now filled out by regular land, but the epilogue being on the Bionis' shoulder flies in the face of that.

Nov 2, 2017
I hope I don't regret it but I may end up giving this game a go. Didn't like the combat of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so who as worried I wouldn't like this one as well. Though the gameplay segments they showed look more interesting than XC2'S combat for me. I may get it later down the line, don't know yet.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Very interested to see how the epilogue works
As far as we know the Bionis and Mechonis don't exist anymore after the end of the game and the world is now filled out by regular land, but the epilogue being on the Bionis' shoulder flies in the face of that.
Actually destroyed Bionis still exists at the end of the game. You can see it in the distance across the ocean in that last scene; though most of it is underwater

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Just to pre-emptively ask, do you need an Amazon.co.uk account to import to the states, or does a US account work? Gotta snag that vinyl OST

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
The asking price is a bit on the high side. Debating if I have time to revisit the game. The game conclusion is pretty finale, not sure if there's anything worth expanding upon.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Beautiful. The only JRPG next to NNK1 that I was actually able to enjoy during the 2010's. Solid as fuck story, likeable cast and no barf-worthy pandering. Can't wait.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
They said more than 90 remastered tracks and the game literally has 91 tracks in the whole OST, wonder why they didn't just straight up say entire soundtrack is remastered lol.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
You and I have very different definitions of customization then. You seem more focused on the individual whereas I'm more focusing on the party. While it's true the characters in XB1 have their roles locked for the most part, and so their individual customization is limited to their roles, it's more about the group dynamic; you're beating enemies using a party after all. And the characters in XB1 all play pretty differently. Using a party without Shulk has a different dynamic. Using a party without Sharla has a different dynamic. The cool thing is you can beat all the high level boss enemies with pretty much any combination and so you customize to beat them. In XB2, it's a bit different as it becomes impossible to beat bosses at a certain point without playing a game of Bejeweled. So the entire battle system becomes focused on that mechanic. The battle system in XB1 isn't reliant on the Monado. You can beat enemies just fine without it. It offers more freedom, even without taking the gacha mechanic into consideration.

There are also the gem, affinity and skill link systems in XB1, which I find more engaging than whatever XB2 has. It doesn't help that most of the customization of Poppi is locked behind a minigame.
"Whatever XB2 has."

It's weird to have someone discuss the merits of a system they clearly either chose not to or just didn't engage with and then say that I'm focused on the "individual instead of the party" and then talk about things that are also in XB2 lol.

Poppi is the most powerful blade in the game if you engage with the minigame, especially in her third form. However in NG+ they heard the fan backlash to that and made it to where a lot of QoL things could be bought with bonus EXP you gained, making things like the gems to buy her upgrades and stuff available to help ease the pain.

To try and distill as much as possible so I'm not spending this whole thread talking about the game that Era hates, XB2 has all the of the individual mechanics that XB1 has and then some, including the ability to more freely change gamestyles on the fly based on characters instead of being shoehorned into specific characters you may not like in order to have an optimum build.

In the vanilla game the rolls for blades and such were garbo for sure, but they made driver shifts and driver cores easy to get (They were easy as early as chapter 4 but I won't go into that here) and gave you SO MANY freebie Blades that I have to wonder how anyone had issues with the combat beyond having to actually delve into it. It doesn't become impossible to beat bosses without using Poppi, in fact I even subbed out Rex and didn't use him and played the whole game as Zeke as soon as I got him, because I preferred him as a character, and found an arrangement of blades that worked for him.

All of the blade weapon types work different on different characters, allowing for a lot of different variances in gameplay and allowing for each character to play completely diferently, with some being predisposed towards certain roles while others being able to fulfill the role if you engage with it enough. For example my Nia was an Ether cannon user and she can decimate literally everything. My Zeke was my main damage dealer and Morag and Tora were my swap in tanks until I got the heal on crit item that made tanking less relevant as a result.

The driver combos on top of blade combos make you get to vary up elemental builds for each character, and the ZR/ZL shoulder button command over your party members allowed for more control over the battle in general. Not only that, but the AI was specifically designed to have a priority system that could be exploited and/or manipulated in order to make your characters always build towards the most powerful attacks and combos for maximum damage, on top of the fleshing out of affinty charts for drivers and blades that opened up even more build variety.

A build with Zeke Morag and Nia plays different than a party of Tora Rex and Nia for example, with a lot of variances in how each blade art works for each character. And that's not even including the second driver chart they added that unlocks even more insane builds to make characters like Zeke less outshined by Rex's endgame abilities AND Blade Passives. For someone speaking about group dynamics it's not coming off as you understanding the group dynamic shift when experimenting with blades at all. TO BE FAIR I can't blame people for not grinding cores and stuff like I did to get all the blades, because as stated before, the roll system was garbage for sure. That being said the only thing about XB1 that is different and some could argue is better is the fact that the INDIVIDUAL play styles are not as similar per character in XB1 as they are in 2, which is the tradeoff for more open ended blade setups and such.

You can say it provides more freedom but I have to assume the post is in bad faith and/or not engaged with the fight system to any degree because the endgame possibilities and build potentials are insane in XB2. I think Quality over quantity is the way to go moving forward(as stated before I think going the Torna approach with set builds and THEN having a FEW extra builds to help add some open build variety, versus the quantity in XB2s main campaign is the way to go), but anyone who thinks the XB1 system which is essentially just a basic cooldown system with comboing skills is more indepth/customizeable than XB2 has to have not played the endgame at all I feel. I won't derail the thread further though, I've had enough XB2 shit posting to last me a life time at this point haha.

Last edited:

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Very cautious about that epilogue/anything related to XBC2. Though I love XBC1, I really didn't like most of XBC2, and if you're bringing stuff from that game into the first...

Well, I know I'll like the remake anyways. And even then, it's not like the original is going anywhere.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm excited for this honestly. I had a hell of a time playing the 3ds re-release before getting burned out over 60 hours in because of the confusing mechonis section and multiple tough enemies. That game just did not feel good on 3ds (as impressive as it was) and I really loved playing 2 on the Switch on my TV. Really excited to play and hopefully finish the first game now

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm excited for this honestly. I had a hell of a time playing the 3ds re-release before getting burned out over 60 hours in because of the confusing mechonis section and multiple tough enemies. That game just did not feel good on 3ds (as impressive as it was) and I really loved playing 2 on the Switch on my TV. Really excited to play and hopefully finish the first game now
I played on 3DS because I missed the Wii train and the little nub analog stick was so awful. It'll be nice to play in an actual...coherent resolution despite my love of the original as well haha

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Left-for-Japan and Europe. ;) Only NA got it delayed and as a Gamestop exclusive.
As an American, I am confused by this concept of "Europe" :p
I hope I don't regret it but I may end up giving this game a go. Didn't like the combat of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so who as worried I wouldn't like this one as well. Though the gameplay segments they showed look more interesting than XC2'S combat for me. I may get it later down the line, don't know yet.
XC's combat is much closer to a traditional MMORPG (though obviously still very tailored to a console).

From a slightly more abstract standpoint, XC2 was much more focused on building up various meters to work up to a good chain attack/full burst. The only variation in strategy came when enemies interrupted the normal flow of building meters, so every battle just felt kinda samey. XC, by comparison, is much more reactive; there's not a giant goal to always work at, so the focus is more on recognizing what the enemy is doing and finding ways to minimize the damage. IMO, it's a much more engaging approach.

Nov 2, 2017
As an American, I am confused by this concept of "Europe" :p

XC's combat is much closer to a traditional MMORPG (though obviously still very tailored to a console).

From a slightly more abstract standpoint, XC2 was much more focused on building up various meters to work up to a good chain attack/full burst. The only variation in strategy came when enemies interrupted the normal flow of building meters, so every battle just felt kinda samey. XC, by comparison, is much more reactive; there's not a giant goal to always work at, so the focus is more on recognizing what the enemy is doing and finding ways to minimize the damage. IMO, it's a much more engaging approach.

Honestly that gives me more reassurance to the first game now after you've said all of that. I might look up gameplay videos of the first one to see if it looks more Interesting to me compared to XC2. I tried to like 2, but I wasn't gonna force myself to play a game I didn't enjoy playing.