• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
If I have to make the choice between the EU Collector's Edition and my TLOU2 Deluxe edition it'll be the easiest choice I make all year.

Is GAME or Amazon UK usually pretty good with shipping to the US?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Can we also take a moment to appreciate that this was a left-for-Japan franchise that finally was released as a Gamestop exclusive at the twilight of the Wii's life that's now a full-on franchise for Nintendo? It's really awesome to see. I'm so happy for MonolithSoft.
You mean a left for japan and europe franchise lol

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can we also take a moment to appreciate that this was a left-for-Japan franchise that finally was released as a Gamestop exclusive at the twilight of the Wii's life that's now a full-on franchise for Nintendo? It's really awesome to see. I'm so happy for MonolithSoft.
Hell yeah. It's come a long way.

And I've supported it every step lol

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Very cautious about that epilogue/anything related to XBC2. Though I love XBC1, I really didn't like most of XBC2, and if you're bringing stuff from that game into the first...

Well, I know I'll like the remake anyways. And even then, it's not like the original is going anywhere.

Look at Alvis' necklace in the new trailer. Not to mention that rift in Future Connected. There's definitely going to be some XBC2 stuff.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hi res here

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition_2020_03-26-20_017.jpg
Are the two Nopons here new?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
"Whatever XB2 has."

It's weird to have someone discuss the merits of a system they clearly either chose not to or just didn't engage with and then say that I'm focused on the "individual instead of the party" and then talk about things that are also in XB2 lol.

Poppi is the most powerful blade in the game if you engage with the minigame, especially in her third form. However in NG+ they heard the fan backlash to that and made it to where a lot of QoL things could be bought with bonus EXP you gained, making things like the gems to buy her upgrades and stuff available to help ease the pain.

To try and distill as much as possible so I'm not spending this whole thread talking about the game that Era hates, XB2 has all the of the individual mechanics that XB1 has and then some, including the ability to more freely change gamestyles on the fly based on characters instead of being shoehorned into specific characters you may not like in order to have an optimum build.

In the vanilla game the rolls for blades and such were garbo for sure, but they made driver shifts and driver cores easy to get (They were easy as early as chapter 4 but I won't go into that here) and gave you SO MANY freebie Blades that I have to wonder how anyone had issues with the combat beyond having to actually delve into it. It doesn't become impossible to beat bosses without using Poppi, in fact I even subbed out Rex and didn't use him and played the whole game as Zeke as soon as I got him, because I preferred him as a character, and found an arrangement of blades that worked for him.

All of the blade weapon types work different on different characters, allowing for a lot of different variances in gameplay and allowing for each character to play completely diferently, with some being predisposed towards certain roles while others being able to fulfill the role if you engage with it enough. For example my Nia was an Ether cannon user and she can decimate literally everything. My Zeke was my main damage dealer and Morag and Tora were my swap in tanks until I got the heal on crit item that made tanking less relevant as a result.

The driver combos on top of blade combos make you get to vary up elemental builds for each character, and the ZR/ZL shoulder button command over your party members allowed for more control over the battle in general. Not only that, but the AI was specifically designed to have a priority system that could be exploited and/or manipulated in order to make your characters always build towards the most powerful attacks and combos for maximum damage, on top of the fleshing out of affinty charts for drivers and blades that opened up even more build variety.

A build with Zeke Morag and Nia plays different than a party of Tora Rex and Nia for example, with a lot of variances in how each blade art works for each character. And that's not even including the second driver chart they added that unlocks even more insane builds to make characters like Zeke less outshined by Rex's endgame abilities AND Blade Passives. For someone speaking about group dynamics it's not coming off as you understanding the group dynamic shift when experimenting with blades at all. TO BE FAIR I can't blame people for not grinding cores and stuff like I did to get all the blades, because as stated before, the roll system was garbage for sure. That being said the only thing about XB1 that is different and some could argue is better is the fact that the INDIVIDUAL play styles are not as similar per character in XB1 as they are in 2, which is the tradeoff for more open ended blade setups and such.

You can say it provides more freedom but I have to assume the post is in bad faith and/or not engaged with the fight system to any degree because the endgame possibilities and build potentials are insane in XB2. I think Quality over quantity is the way to go moving forward(as stated before I think going the Torna approach with set builds and THEN having a FEW extra builds to help add some open build variety, versus the quantity in XB2s main campaign is the way to go), but anyone who thinks the XB1 system which is essentially just a basic cooldown system with comboing skills is more indepth/customizeable than XB2 has to have not played the endgame at all I feel. I won't derail the thread further though, I've had enough XB2 shit posting to last me a life time at this point haha.

I just wanted to say I love this post. People should look up Enel's best videos. They're wild.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks very good.

Hope they didn't have to recast Melia (her voice was conspicuously absent in the epilogue), but I'll understand if they did.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I just wanted to say I love this post. People should look up Enel's best videos. They're wild.
XB2 has a lot of detractors for multiple reasons, and I get that I shouldn't take the bait and keep the conversation going in a thread about 1, but it's really weird that things like the gems, affinity, and other things were baked into blades, accessories, etc and they were spoken about as a plus in XB1.

The majority of ongoing systems in XB1 are in 2, and typically to greater depth, so it just gets weird when I see people talk about the combat system from what I can only assume was a quick playthrough or a pick it up and drop it experience.

To their credit though, the game is so in depth at one point I was using a sheet to keep track of it all, so it's definitely for spreadsheet loving weirdos like me I guess.

I'll forever be annoyed that they had an entire english dub in the UK and they still had to have a fan revolt to bring it over. Insanity.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I'm looking forward to and at the same time dreading putting another 200+ hours into this to get my party maxed out again...

Oct 31, 2017

It wasn't though as the game was localized and released in Europe after its JP release :P

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Hey, Nintendo. I expected to be impressed but not this impressed! Game of the lifetime, no questions.

I bet Bandai Namco executives are seething for not seeing the potential of Monolith Soft after seeing this.

Thank Operation Rainfall and Nintendo of Europe. Both of them saw the potential in Xenoblade Chronicles when Reggie didn't.

The moment when the announcer called the game a "classic", I felt so proud. This game now has the same prestige from Nintendo as Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Just to pre-emptively ask, do you need an Amazon.co.uk account to import to the states, or does a US account work? Gotta snag that vinyl OST

You can make an international purchase with your Amazon US account, all you have to do is change the region to a different country, they'll still ship to your country of origin.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
If i didnt like X would I like this?
This is the best Xenoblade game, IMO, and by a fair margin.

I would say it's quite different from X, even the things that are mostly the same are used differently. For example, the battle system in X makes you dig to find the fun stuff, since party composition is so free form -- whereas you have only a few archetypes in Xenoblade 1, so it's much more straightforward to experiment, and easier to understand roles. (there's also no character that plays like Melia in all the other Xenoblade games)

The game is more linear and traditional-JRPG-like, which creates some weird narrative dissonance where exploration is concerned ("we're under attack! ... but first, what's in that cave?"), but really the game doesn't suffer much for that.

It wasn't though as the game was localized and released in Europe after its JP release :P
^^^^ only after a huge social media campaign. It wouldn't have made it to Europe without fan demand

Last edited:

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really nice to want to play a Xenoblade game again after the extremely bad taste XC2 left in my mouth. I tried with that game, I really did.

I loved the original and XCX though, so I'm super looking forward to it.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they've tinkered with any of the quests. Some cutting/merging and better NPC location times can go a long way. You miss out on a lot of content if you don't do a lot of questing, NPC chatting and exploring before certain part of the game. Locks you out of a lot of side quests and NPCs.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about that US media campaign ? :D
I'm talking about "Operation Rainfall", if I'm remembering the name correctly. I don't think I'd call it a US media campaign?

In any case, there was *clearly* no intent to localize Xenoblade (or the Last Story, or ... whatever the 3rd one was...) until fan pushback. To suggest otherwise, as some posters are, is some weird revisionism

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fully agree with this, I think they're all great and it comes down to opinion and what you're looking for from the game.

I guess basically everything is opinion, but most around the world seem to share the opinion that Xenoblade Chronicles is the better game, one indication is just looking at the metacritc scores. XC stands high above the other two, was way less divisive and generally adored much more.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I guess basically everything is opinion, but most around the world seem to share the opinion that Xenoblade Chronicles is the better game, one indication is just looking at the metacritc scores. XC stands high above the other two, was way less divisive and generally adored much more.
Just trying to counterbalance people shitting all over X and 2 in this thread. :)

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about "Operation Rainfall", if I'm remembering the name correctly. I don't think I'd call it a US media campaign?

In any case, there was *clearly* no intent to localize Xenoblade (or the Last Story, or ... whatever the 3rd one was...) until fan pushback. To suggest otherwise, as some posters are, is some weird revisionism

"Operation Rainfall, commonly known as oprainfall, was a video game-oriented fan campaign founded to promote the release of Japan-exclusive titles. Initially aimed at promoting the North American localization of three Japan-exclusive titles on the aging Wii home video game console... "

"Nintendo of Europe did want to feature Xenoblade Chronicles at E3 2011, but Nintendo's American branch prevented it without explanation."

"Following the announcements concerning the three titles, Operation Rainfall came into existence in an effort to persuade Nintendo to bring the titles to North America.[2] Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story were chosen for their pedigree, while Pandora's Tower was selected due to its unique mechanics and the fact that it was also published by Nintendo for the Wii. The team also decided on the titles as they were already confirmed for an English release in Europe and had received critical acclaim in Japan, so they avoided trying to push for the release of critically and commercially unsuccessful games such as Earth Seeker. "

Pandora's Tower is secretly the best one by the way ! :P

Come on guys, call it by its name. It was called Operation Rainfall.

I legit forgot the name when I made that post.

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I need that collectors edition so bad!
Its my favourite game of all time and it looks amazing
We are currently in complete lockdown tho and can't even order from our online retailers :\
I really hope I dont miss them coming online again

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Look at Alvis' necklace in the new trailer. Not to mention that rift in Future Connected. There's definitely going to be some XBC2 stuff.

What I'm surprised is that his Core Crystal is red, I expected another color but I guess it's okay.

YF2mmHH.jpg

So I guess we finally know where Ontos went.

If i didnt like X would I like this?

If you didn't like X chances are 50/50, with any Xenoblade is like that really if you like/didn't like one doesn't mean you'll like/not like another.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

yes
yet I loved X overworld and mecha exploration
and X2 combat system

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Kinda cool that the KOS-MOS Re figurine is releasing in May also. Fiora KOS-MOS costume please!

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Never got to play it but I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2 while it did feel a bit limited in terms of its exploration mechanics.

I really expected something in the vain of the trailers I saw for Xenoblade Chronicles X but an evolution. I ended up with a gacha game with good music and little character development in my opinion.

Looking forward to playing the game that got me interested in the series without having to boot up my wii or 3DS.