• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Note that it will only drop to 540p if you prolly stress test the game on docked lol.

Seems to be stable 30 fps on handheld/docked.

Last edited:

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from the other thread:
My take on this: It's definitely unfortunate that the game apparently isn't at least locked to 720p docked, but I also think a lot of the lower-res images people are freaking out over are from worst-case fully-zoomed-out open areas where the dynamic resolution is being pushed hard. What matters to me is what the typical gameplay performance is - I can make most dynamic rez Switch games look bad in screenshots if I wanted, but it's the typical gameplay experience that I care about.

I also don't think it's fair to compare Switch games to modern (non handheld) consoles when using the famous "it's <current year>" argument. Of course, coming from the 3DS, I'm a little biased here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
giphy-40-1589810118.gif

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
How much can we trust this analysis? Even Xenoblade 2 ran at 720p in docked mode according to Digital Foundry's analysis, so the original running at less sounds definitively weird.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Same as XC2 yeah, same engine.
Should probably be put in the title since some people are overreacting only based on that (not saying that it's good mind you).

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wooff - I expected a little more to be honest, but it was also somewhat expected, this kind of game pushes the limitations of the Switch pretty hard.

Do we know when reviews will hit?

Oct 26, 2017
Switch is truely the Vita 2 including its resolution for some games. Hopefully its fun enough to make up for its lackluster resolution in portable mode

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
How much can we trust this analysis? Even Xenoblade 2 ran at 720p in docked mode according to Digital Foundry's analysis, so the original running at less sounds definitively weird.
Its might just be in the absolute worst case scenario it drops to 540p.

So like in 1% of the game. Maybe less lol.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Lol damnit :\

I wonder if it will be really noticeable in handheld mode, I could see myself playing this in the bed.

Oct 25, 2017
Legit day 1 and can't wait, but garbage honestly. Rubbish iq. Docked looks like it should be 900p as a fuckin minimum. But I'm immune to switch IQ disappointments now. Used to it.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
What the heck that can't be true. What's the point in a remake If it won't even have a high resolution?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Even if the game maintains its max docked resolution 90% of the time (unlikely), that's still going to look rough as hell on most TVs. You'd expect Monolith Soft would've spec'd this game to hit native resolutions after the amount of flack XC2 received for its poor resolution, doubly-so considering this is a remake/rework of a Wii game. They didn't have to go so hard on the visuals as to compromise this aggressively on resolution.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Apparently it's from the game's configuration files, so it just says how much it can drop, not if it actually does. I mean, it's a Wii port, so thinking about it, I honestly don't think it will drop so often.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Even if it's mostly 720p docked that's still disappointing tbh....like I've seen more demanding switch games. Switch pro or switch 2 cant come fast enough

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's just annoying considering it's a remaster

Performance being stable is fine but it's not unfair to have expected 900p docked or something like that.

XC2 looked really nice at 720p as well, some of what we have seen looks great anyway in fairness

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna wait for the Digital Foundry analysis before giving this too much weight. Either way docked mode should probably be fine. It's interesting that Nintendo seems to be pushing a lot of more modern rendering techniques without the hardware being quite able to handle it, at least when the Switch's successor comes out all of these games should scale up really well without much effort (hopefully)