• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SynthFetish

Oct 27, 2017
Nosgoth, Leviathan
Great work on the thread!

Hope is one of the only party members that requires you to go to Cauldros to recruit her. Technically, you can take on her mission right after the tutorial chapters. The mission was really memorable to me not because of her exactly but because of that long and dangerous trip through Sylvalum so early on in the game. Though the easiest way is to simply swim around Sylvalum, going straight through was too much fun.

Yeah, I just swam all the way.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xeno 2 only a few more days guys. I already pre-ordered it too with 20 bucks discount.^_^(I haven't got myself a Switch though.T_T) But i am redyyyy.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
This OT is absolutely GORGEOUS. Wow - fantastic work!

It also reminded me of the fact that I have literally NEVER finished one of these games and that makes me feel like trash. I really want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but got caught up in hype for XCX and literally played it twice before getting distracted.

Would love to see Xenogears get a proper spiritual successor of sorts since none of the other games feel like it in any way (not downplaying their merit at all). Wishful thinking of course, but a guy can dream.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am still hoping one day, we will get a Xeno game on the scope of Infinite Space here. I feel Takahashi had the skill to build a great space opera story filled with many crazy Xeno there.^_^

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for the N3DS. I've never played a Xeno* game before, so a lot of this is new to me. After about six hours, I think I'm getting the hang of the combat. Two questions for the community though.

1) I find myself struggling with the camera in combat. Is this normal or am I missing a critical setting that will give me a better tactical view of the battle?
2) Any advice on character builds? I was hoping there was a guide with suggestions, but I haven't found much outside of GameFAQs (ugh, don't make me go there), and the various wikis linked in this thread.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for the N3DS. I've never played a Xeno* game before, so a lot of this is new to me. After about six hours, I think I'm getting the hang of the combat. Two questions for the community though.

1) I find myself struggling with the camera in combat. Is this normal or am I missing a critical setting that will give me a better tactical view of the battle?
2) Any advice on character builds? I was hoping there was a guide with suggestions, but I haven't found much outside of GameFAQs (ugh, don't make me go there), and the various wikis linked in this thread.
When it comes to the camera, I've personally never had much of a problem with it, although I was playing it on the wii. When it comes to builds, if you're just 6 hours in you really shouldn't be worrying about builds much since you probably only have three party members at this point. Just focus on trying out each character and understanding the mechanics. The only thing you should really keep in mind is that agility is by far the most important stat in the game since it affects both hit-chance and evasion rate. Make sure that you work your way towards getting better agility gems. You should also make sure that they you level up monado abilities since they'll become very useful as you progress (monado shield especially).

Nov 1, 2017

Set the camera point of view to 'high'. I found that helps sometimes on the 3DS version.

Builds are not too important to focus on for the first half of the game, just go with the flow and upgrade arts that you like to use a lot (and Monado Shield and Speed). Focus on getting agility boosting gems and equipment. Agility is very good in this game.

Also, the attack stat is somewhat bugged. So don't waste your time on gems that raise your maximum attack damage. Only look at the minimum attack. Good luck! I hope you have fun. :)

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Set the camera point of view to 'high'. I found that helps sometimes on the 3DS version.

Builds are not too important to focus on for the first half of the game, just go with the flow and upgrade arts that you like to use a lot (and Monado Shield and Speed). Focus on getting agility boosting gems and equipment. Agility is very good in this game.

Also, the attack stat is somewhat bugged. So don't waste your time on gems that raise your maximum attack damage. Only look at the minimum attack. Good luck! I hope you have fun. :)
The attack bug was fixed in the 3rd version iirc

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the Xeno series, but XC2 for the Switch looks interesting. I played Gears, and the Saga trilogy, and this would be my first Chronicles but I don't get how they're connected.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope every day for a xenosaga hd remaster,ever since bamco humored the idea, always wanted to play those 3 games

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to avoid any XC2 material...

Anyways, we have a new spotlight!

"It was the project from hell" - Honeywood about the localization of Xenogears

The localization of Xenogears was a complicated process with Richard Honeywood as the main - and only - employee behind its translation. You can find a podcast in which he refers to his work on the game here.

Due to its biblical references and religious themes - including pedophilic priests - Xenogears could have skipped a western release, but it ended up being Honeywood's first major project. It proved to be particularly challenging to localize given both the amount of text and the scientific and philosophic concepts, which caused the originally asigned translators to quit or ask to be moved to different projects. Honeywood slept in the office for months, burned the master disks himself and had some problems with the elders from his own religious community.

The translation has some errors when compared to the original in japanese and names are misspelled at times. You can also find gramatical errors and words with hyphens when those aren't necessary, but considering the volume of the script, that's to be expected.

Trivia: Honeywood thought of the idea of "killing God" as especially challenging, as it was necessary to both remain true to the original vision and avoid any controversy. The enemy was going to be called Yahweh, but in a meeting - the game was the first time a localization team worked with the developers in the company - the translator said "yabeh-o" when getting exasperated about changing the name. They all laughed at the pun ("yabai" is the japanese adjective for something dangerous or inconvenient according to Kotaku) and thought it would be a better name. "Deus" was the translation used for the west.

Last edited:

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was basically localized by one person, but it was his first big project too?! Damn, MAJOR props to him! It came out pretty damn amazingly, and to find it had that big of a handicap, Honeywood is awesome! I've actually been streaming my third playthrough of the game and having a lot of fun with it. It seems every time I play through, my love for the game grows larger.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter thread just went down the drain. We can get hyped for xenoblade 2 here

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Not a fan of the way Monolith handles representation of women (since years ago honestly) but it's tiring to repeat the same arguments over and over.

Feel free to invite posters to discuss here, there's a lot to be hyped about!

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
So do you guys think the next game will be? Will they just do another blade game over they do X2 or they do Xeno something else?

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
So do you guys think the next game will be? Will they just do another blade game over they do X2 or they do Xeno something else?

Given both ARMS and Splatoon it seems like Nintendo is encouraging its teams to work on at least one new IP. The medieval fantasy game could be that, and with a completely different gameplay style for all we know.

I expect - and hope - that after that game is released sometime between 2019-2020, we get X-2 by 2022-2023. Which is fine by me because Switch 2 could make the game look gorgeous.

They have a lot of questions to answer and they could follow other ships/a different place in Mira.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
So, I own every game in this entire franchise but I've barely played any of it.

I've put about 40 hours into the 3DS port of Xenoblade and loved it, but got burnt out a little. Played the intro of Xenosaga recently and absolutely adored it. Wanna complete Xenoblade before playing 2 and maybe X. I am also considering just running through the whole franchise before Xenoblade 2, even. What do you guys suggest?

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I own every game in this entire franchise but I've barely played any of it.

I've put about 40 hours into the 3DS port of Xenoblade and loved it, but got burnt out a little. Played the intro of Xenosaga recently and absolutely adored it. Wanna complete Xenoblade before playing 2 and maybe X. I am also considering just running through the whole franchise before Xenoblade 2, even. What do you guys suggest?
GameXplain is calling Xenoblade 2 the most accessible entry in the Xenoblade series, so honestly? Probably start with that, then move to Xenoblade 1. From there, if you want an old-school PS1 JRPG, Xenogears. If you want story-heavy cinematic JRPGs, Xenosaga. If you want more open-world exploration that's light on story, Xenoblade X.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
GameXplain is calling Xenoblade 2 the most accessible entry in the Xenoblade series, so honestly? Probably start with that, then move to Xenoblade 1. From there, if you want an old-school PS1 JRPG, Xenogears. If you want story-heavy cinematic JRPGs, Xenosaga. If you want more open-world exploration that's light on story, Xenoblade X.

I definitely intend to play all of them eventually, just trying to decide if I should wrap up what i've started or jump into the new franchise. Might just wrap up Xenoblade 1 on my commute to work and maybe play Xenoblade 2 at home. Or maybe I'll just go full ham on Xenoblade 2. Thanks for the help!

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
They did what? The lack of proper tutorials and help library easily makes it to the worst. (Then again I just played X1, XBX and X2) From the recent releases I'd still suggest x1 as the best to start off with. To know about the basics from x1 rescued me in this game.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
What's your preferred party for early Xenoblade Chronicles? I've got Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla with an option to swap one of them out for Dunban. Should I go for it?

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
What's your preferred party for early Xenoblade Chronicles? I've got Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla with an option to swap one of them out for Dunban. Should I go for it?
Swap out Sharla and put points into Shulk's light heal. Dunban being an agility tank lets him avoid most damage instead of soaking it like Reyn which means you don't really need to heal him unless you're fighting an enemy that has spike damage or one that can actually hit him. Dunban also does significantly more DPS than Sharla and can topple and break as well which gives him really good synergy with a Shulk/Reyn/Dunban topple lock team. Shulk's light heal is really the only dedicated source of healing you'll actually need for extended fights IMO.

Nov 1, 2017

Dunban is great, but he is a bit lacking at first. Replace Sharla with him and see how it goes. If you have trouble, replace Reyn instead. Dunban is a dodge tank, so focus on building his agility stat and aggro arts for now.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban can beat enemies pretty quick as long as Shulk's Light Heal has been upgraded. You might want to swap Reyn or Dunban out for Sharla in some boss fights, though.

(On another note I've been absent from Xenoblade 2 threads because I only got to start playing the game a few days ago and want to avoid reading anything else about it until after I finish the game).

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's good to swap Sharla for Dunban at least for a little bit so that you can learn how to fight without relying on her healing. I think a lot of people tend to think Sharla must be in the party because she's the only dedicated healer but there are other ways to stay healthy in a fight.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. I will give Dunban a shot.

Speaking of upgrading arts, will I eventually get enough points to upgrade all of the arts, or should I only focus on a few? I'm worried I might be spending points on the wrong arts.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all!

I'm also replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and I had a question about affinity. Particularly, what's the best way to grind affinity aside from taking on and finishing quests? I'm at the same place blakdeth is in the game and I have some heart-to-hearts with Sharla and Dunban that are both blocked off to me at the moment.

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Looking into topics for the next Spotlight, I'd like to do one for XC2 but I don't want to get spoiled by randomly reading articles in the Wiki. Any ideas?

Thanks all. I will give Dunban a shot.

Speaking of upgrading arts, will I eventually get enough points to upgrade all of the arts, or should I only focus on a few? I'm worried I might be spending points on the wrong arts.

Late response, but at least in my experience I loved using the points every time I could, just avoiding the Arts that seemed unnecessary or not too good. You'll have enough points if you do so.

Hey all!

I'm also replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and I had a question about affinity. Particularly, what's the best way to grind affinity aside from taking on and finishing quests? I'm at the same place blakdeth is in the game and I have some heart-to-hearts with Sharla and Dunban that are both blocked off to me at the moment.

You'll probably find heart-to-hearts you can't view through the entire game, so you may want to check that menu from time to time in order to see if one of those is available at any given moment.

In relation to affinity, helping your party members in combat and giving them collectibles they love are others ways to raise it. The latter is especially helpful if you have a ton of those even after completing sections of the Collectopedia.

Last edited:

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
In relation to affinity, helping your party members in combat and giving them collectibles they love are others ways to raise it. The latter is especially helpful if you have a ton of those even after completing sections of the Collectopaedia.

I had no idea that you could give collectibles to party members. Thanks for the tip.

So I'm trying out a party consisting of Shulk/Reyn/Dunban after entering Satorl Marsh. I'm playing Shulk equipped with light, agility-based armor. Reyn is equipped with strength-based medium armor and gems that raise his health. Dunban is equipped with his starting gear. I think I'm getting the hang of this team, but I don't know if Light Heal is cutting it at the moment. I get through most battles, but just barely.

I also have a lot of anxiety about the vision system. When it pops up, I don't feel like I have enough time to figure out what to do before I have to react. It hasn't been the death of my party more than a few times, so maybe I'm doing something right. I just wish it felt more intentional. Perhaps I'll get the hang of it.

There are a lot of systems to master, and it feels a little overwhelming, but overall, I'm enjoying this game.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking into topics for the next Spotlight, I'd like to do one for XC2 but I don't want to get spoiled by randomly reading articles in the Wiki. Any ideas?

Late response, but at least in my experience I loved using the points every time I could, just avoiding the Arts that seemed unnecessary or not too good. You'll have enough points if you do so.

You'll probably find heart-to-hearts you can't view through the entire game, so you may want to check that menu from time to time in order to see if one of those is available at any given moment.

In relation to affinity, helping your party members in combat and giving them collectibles they love are others ways to raise it. The latter is especially helpful if you have a ton of those even after completing sections of the Collectopaedia.
Two options. Beat the game or find someone who has beaten it to pick out info for you

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that you could give collectibles to party members. Thanks for the tip.

So I'm trying out a party consisting of Shulk/Reyn/Dunban after entering Satorl Marsh. I'm playing Shulk equipped with light, agility-based armor. Reyn is equipped with strength-based medium armor and gems that raise his health. Dunban is equipped with his starting gear. I think I'm getting the hang of this team, but I don't know if Light Heal is cutting it at the moment. I get through most battles, but just barely.

I also have a lot of anxiety about the vision system. When it pops up, I don't feel like I have enough time to figure out what to do before I have to react. It hasn't been the death of my party more than a few times, so maybe I'm doing something right. I just wish it felt more intentional. Perhaps I'll get the hang of it.

There are a lot of systems to master, and it feels a little overwhelming, but overall, I'm enjoying this game.

Even though lots of players consider her useless, you may want to give Sharla a shot if you are dying too much. Equip Dunban with the Agi stuff and he'll work as a different kind of tank. But you'll get more party members really soon so you can try for yourself which combinations works the best.

The vision system may be a little overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it if you practice enough. Be sure to remember which Monado Art you're supposed to use for every kind of attack and you'll be set. Well, that and don't forget to level up Shield.

Two options. Beat the game or find someone who has beaten it to pick out info for you

Yeah I'll do something like that.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to try playing with Dunban as the primary character so I can get to know his arts.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
y8kOR8F.jpg