• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I thought XB2 explained XBX pretty well. It was a pocket universe created when the two main universes were also created. Nothing in XBX actually existed prior to landing on that planet, all the races backstories were fabrications created to fill the void. That planet was all that existed there.

XBX was like a Twilight Zone episode. It was another micro-reality spun off by one of the back-up servers.

That's my current head-canon anyway. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Nov 17, 2017
My issue is that the story is clearly the start of something larger, but I enjoy the open world discovery after crash landing on an alien planet so much that I can't imagine they can replicate that with an XCX2. It'd likely end up being more like XC1 or XC2 in structure and that's a shame.

I suppose we have BotW and, I assume, the sequel to get our open world exploration fix since XCX and BotW are easily two of my favorite open worlds of all time.
I always was a fan of the theory that there's another side of Mira that hasn't been explored yet. Like, it's hard to deduce scale in the game itself; the "continents" are more like small islands and it's hard to tell if that's their actual size or if they're just representative for gameplay's sake but there's concept art that shows more continents on Mira, including another NLA-like city. If they tapped into something like that, they could still have the open world discovery focus while also developing the story. I agree it would be a waste if it ended up being a XC1 or 2 type of game as that would go against the entire point of it being Xenoblade X.

I thought XB2 explained XBX pretty well. It was a pocket universe created when the two main universes were also created. Nothing in XBX actually existed prior to landing on that planet, all the races backstories were fabrications created to fill the void. That planet was all that existed there.

XBX was like a Twilight Zone episode.
That doesn't really make sense since Mira is the "pocket universe" but the characters in the game come from outside of it.
The humans come from an Earth that is definitely different from the Earth Klaus is from. Xenoblade 2 just introduces the multiverse concept which means the XCX universe is just one of the many possible multiverses in Xenoblade but there's no implication that Klaus's experiment with the Conduit had any direct influence on the events of Xenoblade X. There also isn't anything in XC2 or XCX that would suggest the races that live there are actually just fabrications.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wait a minute...

So every time there an interview, there's a question about X, but what about Xenoblade 1 ?
Did anyone ask Takahashi ? Because he could have easily said : "Well I'd like to, but it's expensive..."

The simple fact that everyone keeps asking for a port of X should just be enough to know there will be one.
Why not port the only game people keep asking for, that has more potential than #FE, gets some push from its name getting some popularity...

We know that at this point it's more when than if, but I'm not sure Takahashi's answers were leading where some people think they did.
Xenoblade 1 DE would cost less than X ? With the whole games being HDified by a quite decent amount + characters models/animation reworked, cut content added and we only know the tip of it.

Nah, I call excuse to not spoil future announce. Let's be crazy, Both 1 DE and X DE release in 2020. It'll cover the year before their next big game in 2021.
OR, 1 DE + new game in 2020, X DE in 2021.

Let me chime in! I just need a way to mass produce gems. And a
machina party member
would be incredible, what with them being so relevant to the plot and none of them being playable.

And Dunban is unbeatable. Although Riki has its moments too.
Riki loses some of his stat advantage when his HP hits 9999... like mid-game and then all his levels just get lost HP. I'd like it to go over 9999.

I thought the same for the characters. For the gems, I'm kinda ok with it. I didn't have a hard time creating them. It was a bit harder to find the crystals though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of basic story structure and progression, it's a completed story. A part of what is clearly intended to be a bigger story but not incomplete on its own.

This so much. It's a complete story that also serves as the foundation for something else. It's so evident with all the worldbuilding. Which ties into the sequel potential scenarios;

I always was a fan of the theory that there's another side of Mira that hasn't been explored yet. Like, it's hard to deduce scale in the game itself; the "continents" are more like small islands and it's hard to tell if that's their actual size or if they're just representative for gameplay's sake but there's concept art that shows more continents on Mira, including another NLA-like city. If they tapped into something like that, they could still have the open world discovery focus while also developing the story. I agree it would be a waste if it ended up being a XC1 or 2 type of game as that would go against the entire point of it being Xenoblade X.

Something that could be interesting would be exploring what happened to the other ships. There's evidence of some not being destroyed, and I believe it could be cool if we explored a new planet with new characters only to find New LA in late-game and discover that we were in Mira all along.

That doesn't really make sense since Mira is the "pocket universe" but the characters in the game come from outside of it.
The humans come from an Earth that is definitely different from the Earth Klaus is from. Xenoblade 2 just introduces the multiverse concept which means the XCX universe is just one of the many possible multiverses in Xenoblade but there's no implication that Klaus's experiment with the Conduit had any direct influence on the events of Xenoblade X. There also isn't anything in XC2 or XCX that would suggest the races that live there are actually just fabrications.

No matter how much I'd like for the games to be connected chances are it won't happen. However, looking at it from Takahashi's perspective...

XC was made as a complete, self-contained story. As we all know the Xeno brand was added mid-development, and the bad experience from the production of Xenosaga was still in the minds of everyone at Monolith Soft. There's this one quote from Takahahi's interview with the Atlus developer, can't remember the exact phrasing but it was something along the lines of Monolith still being grateful for them being able to make the games they want to make.

And they probably feared the chance of the game bombing, but it became a success. Takahashi sees this as an opportunity, and goes on to write X's scenario - a lot of the material remains unused - thinking of it as the beginning of an overarching space opera. Kind of like how Saga was envisioned, but being more careful with the "yeah we'll make six of those", which is the right call.

Then in XC2 he rewrites XC's ending twist to include the Conduit, a device that will make it easier for him to connect worlds and stories going forward. As SuperiorTrashTalk said the multiverse idea implies that X's is just one of many possible realities, but with the whole Samaarian sub-plot and that Zaruboggan side-quest, I wouldn't be surprised if he started linking the dots in a more direct way than "this is just another plane of existence".

In my opinion it'd be fun if he tried to make all these stories converge in a more explicit way. I believe there're signs of that intention, it's just that the way XC was developed prevented it from happening since the beginning.

We know that at this point it's more when than if, but I'm not sure Takahashi's answers were leading where some people think they did.
Xenoblade 1 DE would cost less than X ? With the whole games being HDified by a quite decent amount + characters models/animation reworked, cut content added and we only know the tip of it.

Nah, I call excuse to not spoil future announce. Let's be crazy, Both 1 DE and X DE release in 2020. It'll cover the year before their next big game in 2021.
OR, 1 DE + new game in 2020, X DE in 2021.

Agreed it's just a thing of when. Of course ports aren't free, but X is an easy candidate to fill a particularly slow period. However timing is important because, with XC DE and the new game I'd be inclined to believe they'd prefer to save it for closer to a potential sequel's release. So I'm not actually expecting it anytime soon, but the longest the wait the most likely it is to release on the next Nintendo console, and that means a better looking Mira, so I'm not complaining.

Riki loses some of his stat advantage when his HP hits 9999... like mid-game and then all his levels just get lost HP. I'd like it to go over 9999.

I thought the same for the characters. For the gems, I'm kinda ok with it. I didn't have a hard time creating them. It was a bit harder to find the crystals though.

Oh yeah, a higher HP limit would be nice. As for the gems, well, Shulk/Reyn's banter can be funny only the first few tries. When you're making dozens of these it gets a bit... weird, to say the least.

Also, folks, remember to be careful with spoilers! Just edited one myself when talking about XC before, didn't even notice it could be read as one so thanks Monolithsoft.

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

So this is what I got out of the story.
These.
9B4Lpql.jpg

Are fragments of the third piece of the Trinity Core.

71971514_2805113859500158_6656904592439115776_o.jpg

The Trinity core splintered into Malos, Mythra, and Elma and their cores. Malos and Mythra exist in their shared universe, their cores intact, Elma's core fractured and split off during the event and her pocket universe was created and fragments of her core are scattered throughout.

Alvis was the human created AI used to interface with and harness the power of the Trinity Core. He was the control unit. The activation gave him life as well and he retained the ability to manipulate the trinity power.

That's my understanding anyway.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute...

So every time there an interview, there's a question about X, but what about Xenoblade 1 ?
Did anyone ask Takahashi ? Because he could have easily said : "Well I'd like to, but it's expensive..."

The simple fact that everyone keeps asking for a port of X should just be enough to know there will be one.
Why not port the only game people keep asking for, that has more potential than #FE, gets some push from its name getting some popularity...

There was something about Takahashi's response that seemed a bit odd to me when the interview was published. The exact question he was asked was:
"Is there a chance we'll see a port of the Wii U's Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch?"
But Takahashi's response doesn't sound like he's talking about a straightforward port:
"Personally speaking, I'd love to play the game on the Switch, but it would be really difficult to make it."

When it comes to roadblocks that stand in the way of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch, Takahashi's answer is simple.

"Money," he laughs. "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult."

www.usgamer.net

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Postmortem: Breaking Down the Inaugural Switch RPG's Success With Tetsuya Takahashi

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the Nintendo Switch is a sometimes-inaccessible game dotted with inconsistent character designs and visual glitches. It was also o...

I thought Takahashi specifically saying "Re-creating" Xenoblade Chronicles X sounded like a bit of a strange way to phrase the port question at the time.

Now that we know Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition was likely in development at the time of that interview, I'm wondering if Takahashi was thinking more along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles X getting a Definitive Edition treatment instead of a more straightforward port. Visually, there wouldn't need to be nearly as many changes/additions as Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is getting, but maybe the devs might still want to tweak a couple of elements like the lighting.

Another possibility could be that they're interested in adding a bit of additional content to the game, even if there isn't a half-finished map in the original game's code like Bionis' Shoulder. Additional content wouldn't necessarily mean getting a Definitive Edition instead of a sequel either, since hypothetical new content could be used to further set up a potential sequel.

For the record, this is all speculation on my part and I could be completely wrong on all of this. But after seeing Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition get announced, part of me wouldn't be surprised if Monolith Soft wants to handle a remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles X themselves instead of having an external studio port the game to Switch. If Monolith Soft wants to give Xenoblade Chronicles X the Definitive Edition treatment, it would likely be more expensive than a straightforward Switch port.

All this said, it's also possible Takahashi really was referring to a Xenoblade Chronicles X port in that interview, and that he was just saying even a port might cost more than some people think. In that case, though, I agree with you about a Xenoblade Chronicles X port likely requiring a much lower budget than Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Then in XC2 he rewrites XC's ending twist to include the Conduit, a device that will make it easier for him to connect worlds and stories going forward. As SuperiorTrashTalk said the multiverse idea implies that X's is just one of many possible realities, but with the whole Samaarian sub-plot and that Zaruboggan side-quest, I wouldn't be surprised if he started linking the dots in a more direct way than "this is just another plane of existence".

In my opinion it'd be fun if he tried to make all these stories converge in a more explicit way. I believe there're signs of that intention, it's just that the way XC was developed prevented it from happening since the beginning.
You're right, you can see Xenoblade X trying to tie itself in to the first game in very minor ways. It never goes quite all the way but it feels more than just simple easter eggs at points. Like the Bionis and Mechonis sculptures you can collect seem like a cute reference, same with Lin's Monado earrings. But then you have Tatsu mentioning Hom-homs and Frontier Village or the weird emphasis they put on Telethia the Endbringer in the side quest about it which make it seem more.

I think if they end up making a clear connection point between X and the other games, it will come down to whatever the Samaarians are. Samaarians are clearly humans or very close to humans. I wonder if in Klaus's universe pre-Conduit experiment, he and the rest of humanity are descended from Samaarians. Or maybe Samaarians never existed in that universe. Or maybe humans from that universe become Samaarians by traveling to the new dimension where X takes place.

ClQA63X.jpg

JDf8hz7.jpg

latest

There's a very easy connection point here, if they want to make it.

So this is what I got out of the story.
These.
9B4Lpql.jpg

Are fragments of the third piece of the Trinity Core.

71971514_2805113859500158_6656904592439115776_o.jpg

The Trinity core splintered into Malos, Mythra, and Elma and their cores. Malos and Mythra exist in their shared universe, their cores intact, Elma's core fractured and split off during the event and her pocket universe was created and fragments of her core are scattered throughout.

Alvis was the human created AI used to interface with and harness the power of the Trinity Core. He was the control unit. The activation gave him life as well and he retained the ability to manipulate the trinity power.

That's my understanding anyway.
Interesting. I've never heard anyone theorize that Elma is the third Aegis instead of Alvis being the third one. Though honestly, I'm not too sure about that. Alvis makes a lot more sense since he has a Monado and Elma is never shown to have something like that. I think the Lifehold Units are just big computers storing a bunch of data and the shape is just a reference. I think they're man-made with Elma's help. I don't know how an Aegis core, which was shown to be small enough to fit in one's hand would become the massive machines you see in X. At most, if they were to write in the Conduit to X's canon, the Lifehold units would probably just be based on the look of the Conduit than them actually being the cores Klaus made.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact. We're scheduled to get the community spotlight in a few weeks, so now is actually a pretty good time to get some talk going.

I need to update the thread too with new employee numbers and Torna. Would you put that as a separate game or under a "related releases" banner?
If you work on the first post a bit, could you also update the sales information for Xenoblade Chronicles 2? It's at 1.73m as of March 31, 2019.

I know you didn't specifically ask me about Torna, but I think it could either be placed as a separate game or as a subsection for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Monolith Soft's official website seems to consider Torna a standalone game:

www.monolithsoft.co.jp

GAMES|モノリスソフト

モノリスソフトの開発実績をご紹介します。

Monolith Soft's 20th anniversary page also has separate copyrights for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna on the bottom of the page:

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Also, folks, remember to be careful with spoilers! Just edited one myself when talking about XC before, didn't even notice it could be read as one so thanks Monolithsoft.
; )

I also prefer to think it's not before 2021 easily. I guess who knows, maybe on the next console... but it would be nice to gather them all on the shwitsh.

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

I've never heard of this theory either, but it's true that Alvis described itself as an "administrative computer" - going from memory there - so it could be seen as the interface rather than the third core, which is the common interpretation. The "Yeah this is not the thing but the thing that interfaces with the actual thing" is nothing new to Takahashi's stories after all. But then again that's what the trinity computer actually is in relation to the Zohar.

You're right, you can see Xenoblade X trying to tie itself in to the first game in very minor ways. It never goes quite all the way but it feels more than just simple easter eggs at points. Like the Bionis and Mechonis sculptures you can collect seem like a cute reference, same with Lin's Monado earrings. But then you have Tatsu mentioning Hom-homs and Frontier Village or the weird emphasis they put on Telethia the Endbringer in the side quest about it which make it seem more.

I think if they end up making a clear connection point between X and the other games, it will come down to whatever the Samaarians are. Samaarians are clearly humans or very close to humans. I wonder if in Klaus's universe pre-Conduit experiment, he and the rest of humanity are descended from Samaarians. Or maybe Samaarians never existed in that universe. Or maybe humans from that universe become Samaarians by traveling to the new dimension where X takes place.

ClQA63X.jpg

JDf8hz7.jpg

latest

Agreed. One thing is a hairpin but that Tatsu line at the end of the game is way too much.

I hope the Samaarians and Qlurians get some love in a potential sequel, they're some of the most interesting lore stuff in X. They'll be probably explained with some inter-dimensional and time-travelling shenanigans, as you said, connecting some stuff that went unanswered in the games. But what would seem weird with the particular parts you quote is that the sense I got from X's explanation is that the Samaarians willingly traveled to a new plane, while Klaus' experiment byproducts are more of an unexpected mess.

But you need to think bigger. You know these structures in Bionis' Shoulder that are not quite like Hom's buildings? These are Samaarians'! They'll mysteriously disappear in DE to start their galaxy conquering campaign.

And while we're wildly speculating, I'd love a game that explores what the Earth was like before Klaus' experiment. It doesn't need to be a super big title or anything, but if the humans really ravaged the planet, as he said, I wonder if it would be interesting to explore disaster zones like, well, Disaster. Don't even hint at the connections, just make it a "standalone" experience that suddenly ends with Klaus' stuff... again.

I know you didn't specifically ask me about Torna, but I think it could either be placed as a separate game or as a subsection for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Yeah the way I thought it would be with a small banner in the game's section. That would allow to also put stuff like XS's DS port. But then it's also a separate physical release...

Anyways, it'll take a while before I update, if you have any other ideas just say it so these can be included too.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that Monolith completely ignores 1DE says a lot. Just a simple tweet from @xenoblade2jp formerly @xenobladexjp I think, the classic news feed of the series.

Nov 17, 2017
But what would seem weird with the particular parts you quote is that the sense I got from X's explanation is that the Samaarians willingly traveled to a new plane, while Klaus' experiment byproducts are more of an unexpected mess.
I think what's significant is that we get the sense that the Samaarians traveled willingly because that's how Luxaar phrased it. It could easily be a bit of unreliable narrator as Luxaar was not there to see how the Samaarians came to be in their current universe, only that they did appear there. Lots of things in Xenoblade are not what they seem to initially be. The visuals there might not even be that reliable and representative. With XC2's space station scene changing what was initially presented in XC1, there doesn't seem to be any issue with rewriting the fine details a bit to make the ties happen.

Also, they need to make Disaster canon to Xenoblade. Ray should've been a DLC Blade in XC2.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Monolith completely ignores 1DE says a lot. Just a simple tweet from @xenoblade2jp formerly @xenobladexjp I think, the classic news feed of the series.
Monolith Soft retweeted the Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition announcements from the XenobladeJP twitter account and the Nintendo Japan twitter account.

For comparison, I'm not seeing any old tweets on the Monolith Soft twitter account that mention Xenoblade Chronicles 3D at all.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

ClQA63X.jpg

JDf8hz7.jpg

latest

Interesting. I've never heard anyone theorize that Elma is the third Aegis instead of Alvis being the third one. Though honestly, I'm not too sure about that. Alvis makes a lot more sense since he has a Monado and Elma is never shown to have something like that. I think the Lifehold Units are just big computers storing a bunch of data and the shape is just a reference. I think they're man-made with Elma's help. I don't know how an Aegis core, which was shown to be small enough to fit in one's hand would become the massive machines you see in X. At most, if they were to write in the Conduit to X's canon, the Lifehold units would probably just be based on the look of the Conduit than them actually being the cores Klaus made.
At the end of XB2 it shows The Trinity Core being a massive monolithic construct that humanity had discovered. It was massive. The core crystals were basically super condensed and shrunk down. The fragments in XBX are about the right size.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
My interpretation of Xenoblade 2's ending

In Xenosaga 3, it's revealed that every once in a blue moon Wilhelm goes through and resets the universe using the Zohar. I figure every game takes place in a different one of these "cycles".

Wilhelm says his own memories don't go to the next cycle, so he just has to trust his next iteration to do so. Meaning parallels are common. One such parallel being that humanity always gets booted from earth

Nov 17, 2017
At the end of XB2 it shows The Trinity Core being a massive monolithic construct that humanity had discovered. It was massive. The core crystals were basically super condensed and shrunk down. The fragments in XBX are about the right size.
The core crystals and the Conduit are different things though. The crystals were never that huge. Besides, it's pretty clear what the Lifehold Units are. For something as reality warping as those cores, a few of the Lifehold Units are literally just library archives and are easily destroyed by the Ganglion.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Monolith Soft retweeted the Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition announcements from the XenobladeJP twitter account and the Nintendo Japan twitter account.

For comparison, I'm not seeing any old tweets on the Monolith Soft twitter account that mention Xenoblade Chronicles 3D at all.
You didn't really look did you : p ?

Arf... it's not exactly the part I wanted to share but I (re)checked and this was part of @xenobladejp retweet in 2015. Right after there's another retweet or 3ds Xenoblade themes.
You made me unsure but I know their tweeter from that time very well as I was covering X on websites for hours every day lol.

So yeah same treatment for XDE.

I'm positive, Monolithsoft isn't actively working on DE. At best just supervising. That's my take.

Last edited:

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't really look did you : p ?

Arf... it's not exactly the part I wanted to share but I (re)checked and this was part of @xenobladejp retweet in 2015. Right after there's another retweet or 3ds Xenoblade themes.
You made me unsure but I know their tweeter from that time very well as I was covering X on websites for hours every day lol.

So yeah same treatment for XDE.

I'm positive, Monolithsoft isn't actively working on DE. At best just supervising. That's my take.
I'm double checking the Monolith Soft twitter account, and I'm not seeing that tweet you linked on their account. These are the only tweets I'm seeing on their page in April 2015:

The tweet you linked was definitely retweeted by the XenobladeJP twitter account, but I was trying to say that I haven't seen any Xenoblade Chronicles 3D tweets or retweets from Monolith Soft's specific twitter account.

To be clear, I wasn't saying XenobladeJP never tweeted anything about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. XenobladeJP tweeted a lot about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D in the lead-up to the port's launch. I was saying the official Monolith Soft twitter account might have never tweeted or retweeted anything about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

However, the Monolith Soft twitter account has retweeted the following posts about Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

For further context, it looks like the Monolith Soft twitter account has tweeted or retweeted about Project X Zone, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Project X Zone 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (mostly about Shulk and the Xenoblade Chronicles representation in the game), and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. But I'm still not seeing any tweets or retweets from the account about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It looks like the twitter account opened in June 2011 so the Wii release of Xenoblade Chronicles had already been out in Japan for a year by the time the Monolith Soft twitter account opened.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm double checking the Monolith Soft twitter account, and I'm not seeing that tweet you linked on their account. These are the only tweets I'm seeing on their page in April 2015:

The tweet you linked was definitely retweeted by the XenobladeJP twitter account, but I was trying to say that I haven't seen any Xenoblade Chronicles 3D tweets or retweets from Monolith Soft's specific twitter account.

To be clear, I wasn't saying XenobladeJP never tweeted anything about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. XenobladeJP tweeted a lot about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D in the lead-up to the port's launch. I was saying the official Monolith Soft twitter account might have never tweeted or retweeted anything about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

However, the Monolith Soft twitter account has retweeted the following posts about Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

For further context, it looks like the Monolith Soft twitter account has tweeted or retweeted about Project X Zone, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Project X Zone 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (mostly about Shulk and the Xenoblade Chronicles representation in the game), and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. But I'm still not seeing any tweets or retweets from the account about Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It looks like the twitter account opened in June 2011 so the Wii release of Xenoblade Chronicles had already been out in Japan for a year by the time the Monolith Soft twitter account opened.

Ok my bad, you meant Monolithsoft directly.
Well, considering the DE has more important added details and is a bigger project than 3D it makes sense. They were probably not even supervising X3D. I don't really remember that part.

However, I think Riki advertised it and the twitter had Riki's news. So maybe... ha ha.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Then let's begin now. Hopefully making a trend lol.
I mentioned what I'd like to get in the DE, what about you ?

Also, favorite area ? Favorite character, in battle ?
I'd like to add a few AI tweaks to my list. Not something so straightforward as gambits. I don't like those so much, but inbetween.

For me I'd say Valak and... ha, hard, maybe Melia cause she's so on her own and feels like Slay the Spire's Defect lol.

I have to say it's been so long since I played the original, I don't really remember a lot of it. lol

The game is a blur to me - which is one of the reasons I'm excited to play it again!

I definitely played Shulk more than anyone else. I just loved him as a character and the abilities he had. But it's important to say I was a bit of JRPG amateur.

While I wouldn't say Xenoblade was my first JRPG, it's the one that made me a fan of the genre and open to giving more of them a chance. The sheer size of the game was unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

A bit of a shit answer, but the truth. :P

I hope the lip flaps match up with the dialogue this time though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I have to say it's been so long since I played the original, I don't really remember a lot of it. lol

The game is a blur to me - which is one of the reasons I'm excited to play it again!

I definitely played Shulk more than anyone else. I just loved him as a character and the abilities he had. But it's important to say I was a bit of JRPG amateur.

While I wouldn't say Xenoblade was my first JRPG, it's the one that made me a fan of the genre and open to giving more of them a chance. The sheer size of the game was unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

A bit of a shit answer, but the truth. :P

I hope the lip flaps match up with the dialogue this time though.
It's made for japanese voices so if that's what you hope, it's fair, but it can't magically work for both language.

But your answer is not shit. You're lucky cause this time you'll have the whole rest of the team to discover in battles. It's so good to work on different strategies/roles.
I personaly regularly changed who I was playing.

I remember vividely all the people saying "Shulk, Carna, Reyn" was the only optimal party lol.
That hero / heal / tank really brainwashed them.
Fun times.

I wish I could also forget as much as possible about the game too : (.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's made for japanese voices so if that's what you hope, it's fair, but it can't magically work for both language.

True, but given this is the 'definitive edition' with what you would expect to be a decent budget, I think they should be able to accommodate the English language.

This is the third release of the same game in which they're building all new assets. Anime dubs often add extra flaps, I don't see why Xenoblade can't.

It can only improve the presentation and draw you in more if characters actually talk when their lips move. lol

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
True, but given this is the 'definitive edition' with what you would expect to be a decent budget, I think they should be able to accommodate the English language.

This is the third release of the same game in which they're building all new assets. Anime dubs often add extra flaps, I don't see why Xenoblade can't.

It can only improve the presentation and draw you in more if characters actually talk when their lips move. lol
But... how can you do both. Do they have to actually make 2 different lip sync depending on the language you chose ?

That's really not what I'd hope they focus on personaly, but well, it's normal since I'd never pick other voices than the ones from the initial script, being US, Jp or any other country based.

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping for the best but as far as I understand Nintendo doesn't normally re-sync in localization. The RPGs that would require it have a lot of VA and that's a ton of extra work for a team that's normally not that big.

In fact when they translate/record VA, they try to match the timing of the talking animation of the character. That's why sentences may be awkwardly long or you get some weird pauses from time to time in XC2, to name one.

But... how can you do both. Do they have to actually make 2 different lip sync depending on the language you chose ?

Yes. Trying to remember if BotW re-synced, but even if they did that game has way less cutscenes and a completely different budget tier.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Do the lip flaps even match the Japanese voice acting in Xenoblade?
I think so yes because I remember the cutscenes to be pretty memorable without anything pulling me out of it.

But it might be my memory or just that they were "good enough" for me. Not sure. I'll check.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think in the major cutscenes they do.

Here's an interesting thing. Each xenoblade game has a xenoblade.
The monado
Pneuma
Elma, as she's not a Xeno and a BLADE

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
If they don't improve the lip sync, it won't bother me. It's just more of a statement I'd love to see.

"Following the success of X2, the franchise is a big deal now and will receive all the bells and whistles."

X2 will probably sell 2m when all is said and done (if it hasn't already) and rereleasing the first game for a second time is a sign they are interested in really building the series.

A hypothetical X3 could move even bigger numbers if XDE can build on the positive experience many new fans had with X2.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It might have been my imagination but Torna already seemed better in terms of matching the lip flaps, not sure if that was down to the script or performances though.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It might have been my imagination but Torna already seemed better in terms of matching the lip flaps, not sure if that was down to the script or performances though.

I remember booting up Torna and thinking they'd actually gone the extra mile with the lip sync, because as you say, it's much better.

You soon realise it's much better, but not perfect (which is a step in the right direction).

I'd love to know how they handled Torna, in terms of direction and performance. Comparing Skye Bennett's Mythra, it's night and day... and I liked her in the main game.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding it difficult to wait and find out what Takahashi meant by "third option" for the next game. I suspect Takahashi is going to surprise a lot of people.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm finding it difficult to wait and find out what Takahashi meant by "third option" for the next game. I suspect Takahashi is going to surprise a lot of people.
That's also what I'm "stressed" over.

He sure was talking about the next game in the series(s). But if it doesn't "continue" any of the 2, would it be a third ? Or is X "one for many side series that might or not get follow up(s) ?

Will it be something titled like "Xenoblade♡" or more Saga style, "Xenoblade : L'histoire sans fin".

I don't think he was talking about the chimerical action rpg.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I would (selfishly) love to go straight into Xenoblade 3. There's a great opportunity to bring all our heroes together in an epic finale...

... but on the other hand, Xenoblade 2 can also act as an end for that original universe if Monolith Soft wanted to go in a different direction in the future.

But it feels like a Xenoblade 3 is inevitable and to not complete a pseudo trilogy would be leaving money on the table. Particularly with both Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 being on Switch.

It's priming gamers for a conclusion on whatever Nintendo console we get next.

Having said all of that, I expect another Xeno game before that happens. I don't think an X2 is on the horizon, in the sense that I don't think it would lead on from the original. But I could see an X-style Xeno designed to draw in fans of the numbered entries. It would offer up a new cast and world, strip back some of X's elements, incorporate a slightly stronger story focus, etc. It would still retain the focus on exploration and be more sci-fi though.

I actually think we are more likely to see something totally new.

Monolithsoft - I think the idea of there being the numbered series and then 'something else' is quite interesting. They could perhaps offer up something different every time, before they return to the more traditional formula.

Nov 17, 2017
But I could see an X-style Xeno designed to draw in fans of the numbered entries. It would offer up a new cast and world, strip back some of X's elements, incorporate a slightly stronger story focus, etc. It would still retain the focus on exploration and be more sci-fi though.
I would hate that to be honest. It would feel like they're punishing X fans for liking X. People who like 1 and 2 more already have those games and are getting XDE. We don't need to make X into the same kind of game. Monolith Soft already went ahead and differentiated X from Xenoblade 1 by making Xenoblade 2 the way they did. Let X be what it is. I think an X2 should be unapologetically X-like. More open world with more to do, more mechs, more gameplay over story focus, even deeper world building and side quests, an even more customizable player character, ALL THE SAWANO.

Instead of stripping back X's elements and just making it something hardly distinguishable from the others, take all of X's elements and improve them. Go further with X's mechanics and style than what it already did. For example, I've heard people say the next X game should just have a set protagonist like Shulk or Rex. I say instead of getting rid of the avatar, make the avatar more complex. Maybe cut back on the number of voices we can choose in exchange for allowing us to have our character speak in cutscenes Mass Effect style with dialogue choices. Let us form even deeper relationships with our party members than just the heart-to-hears and affinity missions. Have a more in depth and varied character creator. Let us really feel like we're part of the game world and making our own story.

That's honestly what I'd like to see over Xenoblade 3 or anything else. The "something totally new" could turn out to be something I love more than any of their past games but it could also be the opposite so I don't really have any desire for it or against it. I mainly just want to see X2 in all its glory, not held back by trying to appeal to Xenoblade fans who wanted a more story focused JRPG.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I would hate that to be honest. It would feel like they're punishing X fans for liking X. People who like 1 and 2 more already have those games and are getting XDE. We don't need to make X into the same kind of game. Monolith Soft already went ahead and differentiated X from Xenoblade 1 by making Xenoblade 2 the way they did. Let X be what it is. I think an X2 should be unapologetically X-like. More open world with more to do, more mechs, more gameplay over story focus, even deeper world building and side quests, an even more customizable player character, ALL THE SAWANO.

Instead of stripping back X's elements and just making it something hardly distinguishable from the others, take all of X's elements and improve them. Go further with X's mechanics and style than what it already did. For example, I've heard people say the next X game should just have a set protagonist like Shulk or Rex. I say instead of getting rid of the avatar, make the avatar more complex. Maybe cut back on the number of voices we can choose in exchange for allowing us to have our character speak in cutscenes Mass Effect style with dialogue choices. Let us form even deeper relationships with our party members than just the heart-to-hears and affinity missions. Have a more in depth and varied character creator. Let us really feel like we're part of the game world and making our own story.

That's honestly what I'd like to see over Xenoblade 3 or anything else. The "something totally new" could turn out to be something I love more than any of their past games but it could also be the opposite so I don't really have any desire for it or against it. I mainly just want to see X2 in all its glory, not held back by trying to appeal to Xenoblade fans who wanted a more story focused JRPG.

I hear what you're saying, and I think you make a lot of fair points. But I do think you can retain the original game's identity, while introducing elements from the numbered titles to make a potential sequel more palatable to a larger audience.

I just think you've got the numbered titles, which are more popular and in X, you've got something really cool that didn't resonate with as many people for multiple reasons.

You think they should double down on the original formula and make a better version of that game and I agree - but I think a second game could also benefit from looking at its brothers and stealing a few things fans of JRPGs obviously want.

OP
OP
Reki

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I think an X2 should be unapologetically X-like. More open world with more to do, more mechs, more gameplay over story focus, even deeper world building and side quests, an even more customizable player character, ALL THE SAWANO.

Instead of stripping back X's elements and just making it something hardly distinguishable from the others, take all of X's elements and improve them. Go further with X's mechanics and style than what it already did.
You think they should double down on the original formula and make a better version of that game and I agree - but I think a second game could also benefit from looking at its brothers and stealing a few things fans of JRPGs obviously want.

Let's get the "crazy" third route out of the equation for a minute. Not necessarily a fan of this, but one direction they could take is expanding the multiplayer elements even more. X sacrificed a set protagonist and some story beats in favor of going more "MMOish", so they could as well go after the MHW crowd with a similar kind of re-imagining of the gameplay loop. You could even dial it back a bit to allow for a heavier narrative focus - than MH I mean, obviously not to the point of numbered Xenoblades - and that could be a factor that differentiates it enough to fill an underserved niche in Nintendo's lineup.

Takahashi is always talking about western influences. With the right lessons and a design that streamlines the experience they could cater to a new audience, pretty much in the same vein as Capcom did. The rich lore and massive world-building is already there, a few tweaks to the combat and art direction could go a long way in getting a wider overseas reach.

Ok with this, announcements will be a bit more unexpected. I'd just hope "fans" stopped bothering her so much.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Soraya's retweet feels like she's saying "ok now that so many directs are gonna be about Monolith I better stop."

Cause... we had no Monolith for a while and she decided to stop... right when it comes back. She should have done that last year really.
I hear what you're saying, and I think you make a lot of fair points. But I do think you can retain the original game's identity, while introducing elements from the numbered titles to make a potential sequel more palatable to a larger audience.

I just think you've got the numbered titles, which are more popular and in X, you've got something really cool that didn't resonate with as many people for multiple reasons.

Except with have 0 indication that numbered titles would be popular than X cause... WII U.

So yep you're selfish (I'm joking on the word cause you told me that : P)

I personaly hope the opposite or that they will go for a more mature shonen style than 2 for the next one. And I really didn't like
that they rehash the same story for 2 with Klaus. I was so unimpressed despite how it seemed good enough on its own before. I feel like it's gonna ruin 1 for people who began 2 first.
I don't really understand your "trilogy" argument.
Since when is Xenoblade a trilogy lol ?
I could see it get a 4, 5, and so on until whatever happens forcing it to stop.

But knowing what Monolith can do and how big they are now, I'm not sure It would feel good to see them only go the easy way and throw samey numbered games after each others as if it was pokemon or something.
Let's get the "crazy" third route out of the equation for a minute. Not necessarily a fan of this, but one direction they could take is expanding the multiplayer elements even more. X sacrificed a set protagonist and some story beats in favor of going more "MMOish", so they could as well go after the MHW crowd with a similar kind of re-imagining of the gameplay loop. You could even dial it back a bit to allow for a heavier narrative focus - than MH I mean, obviously not to the point of numbered Xenoblades - and that could be a factor that differentiates it enough to fill an underserved niche in Nintendo's lineup.

Takahashi is always talking about western influences. With the right lessons and a design that streamlines the experience they could cater to a new audience, pretty much in the same vein as Capcom did. The rich lore and massive world-building is already there, a few tweaks to the combat and art direction could go a long way in getting a wider overseas reach.
You meant Phantasy Star, right ? 😎

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017

The main point seems to be a stronger story focus like the numbered titles but honestly for the type of game X was, it HAD a pretty strong story focus. 12 chapters of straight, linear story missions at the center of the game. I don't really think a sequel needs any more than that. When you go beyond that, you start sacrificing gameplay for story like the numbered games do and I definitely don't want that as a fan of X.

As for other features, I honesty cannot think of any major features from the numbered games that would work towards making X2 a better version of X. I think making it some middle ground between the numbered games and X will just make it a master of none and won't please either side.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
X was already kind of a master of none type of deal tbh. They had a lot of ideas, and a lot needed to be done on each one.

Nov 17, 2017
X was already kind of a master of none type of deal tbh. They had a lot of ideas, and a lot needed to be done on each one.
I disagree. The game had it's focus in open world exploration and customization. Almost everything in the game revolves around that and is what separates it from the numbered titles at its core.

I don't know how you could call it a master of none when the exploration and customization far exceed that of the numbered titles.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Somehow I forgot to watch this thread and forgot it exists.

If they don't improve the lip sync, it won't bother me. It's just more of a statement I'd love to see.

"Following the success of X2, the franchise is a big deal now and will receive all the bells and whistles."

X2 will probably sell 2m when all is said and done (if it hasn't already) and rereleasing the first game for a second time is a sign they are interested in really building the series.

A hypothetical X3 could move even bigger numbers if XDE can build on the positive experience many new fans had with X2.

As nice as it would be, I highly doubt we'll get an English lip sync. Nintendo isn't the type to spend extra time and money on that. They seemed to barely do it with Breath of the Wild.... I think all we can hope for is better and less rushed voice direction so it syncs better, but maybe we'll get something for very special scenes, since it already technically happened.

For some reason they reanimated this ending scene to fit an English voice line in non-Japanese copies of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's the only time it happens in the game from what I can tell.

XWdy54J.gif

Itsq33p.gif

I've wondered what this means too.

"I'm someone who gets bored of whatever it was I did last. If the [Xenoblade Chronicles] series continues, you just might see it take a third option. It might go down a path it hasn't gone down before."

So if this means not fantasy or sci-fi, then what? Something closer to modern times maybe? Or, I always thought a Xeno game set in the ancient past of Earth could potentially be very interesting considering Xenosaga's lore. But I'm not sure how well that would go over.

7G0j9Xw.gif

Last edited:

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason they reanimated this ending scene to fit an English voice line in non-Japanese copies of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's the only time it happens in the game from what I can tell.

XWdy54J.gif

Itsq33p.gif
I think there's a specific reason for this. In the datamine for the game, closed captions were found for that scene that don't actually show up.
Whoever you picked in chapter 8 says "I love you".
The fact that those captions don't show up is probably the entire reason they redid the lip sync, so people can at least make reasonable guesses at what they're saying. I can't think of any other reason.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I saw that the datamined lines were either

"Hello, Rex" or "Hi, I'm Pyra." "Hi, I'm Mythra.", but I don't remember seeing anything about "I love you", and it doesn't really make sense. I've got my own theory that it's "My name is Pyra/Mythra." BUT people don't seem very open to that one lol. Even though I think it fits quite well.

So yeah, the only reason they would have redone the lip sync is if it was meant to be a something specific that could be guessed.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I misremembered. I just pulled up the file again and those are the correct lines you listed.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Lots of good responses in here - I won't reply to everyone who quoted me, but I appreciate and respect your opinions.

It'll be interesting to see what Monolith Soft does next... well, after XDE.

Anyone fancy guessing how much of the definitive edition will be new?

Hasn't Howden suggested he's been doing some work on the game? Additional cutscenes, voiced heart-to-hearts?

On a completely unrelated note, I finally did KOS-MOS' blade quest last night... was cool to see her get more screen time.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a checklist of things I'm hoping for from the Definitive Edition. Voiced Heart to Hearts, Land of Challenge, Bionis Shoulder integrated into the story, and a few lines in the main story rewritten because there were some... awkward lines in there, not going to lie. A few more landmarks would also be nice (Agora Shore I'm looking at you). A slightly revised Affinity Chart bringing in features from Torna such as the over-head indicator of new links would also be great. Howden definitely talked about working on a project fans would like, I just hope that means DE.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Lots of good responses in here - I won't reply to everyone who quoted me, but I appreciate and respect your opinions.

It'll be interesting to see what Monolith Soft does next... well, after XDE.

Anyone fancy guessing how much of the definitive edition will be new?

Hasn't Howden suggested he's been doing some work on the game? Additional cutscenes, voiced heart-to-hearts?

On a completely unrelated note, I finally did KOS-MOS' blade quest last night... was cool to see her get more screen time.

I like to keep my expectations low. So besides the major graphical upgrade, I'm not expecting a whole lot. Though, voiced heart-to-hearts would be really nice.

The big one though is the playable Bionis Shoulder. I think when it comes to "new content" that will be most of it. I really feel right now that it's been re-purposed into a post-game/epilogue area. Hopefully that means....

Colony 9 after the end of the game is playable and explorable too, since that's also playable in the games files. I think if they fleshed those areas out with some new NPC dialogue, side-quests, and story stuff I'd be happy.

And if this is a post-game area now, the feathers on the new title, Melia as a focus on the ending shot, new outfit, and Alcamoth in the distance makes me think we may get some kind of side-story relating to her.

My theory for now is that they're going to re-purpose the side story about Fiora getting her body back into a post-game scenario. The group discovers the regeneration pod, but "uh-oh, it's not working. We need parts to repair it...but where would we get parts to fix a High Entia regeneration chamber?" The Telethia Lab in Alcamoth of course! But how do we get there now that the Bionis has crumbled? Sail on over to the Bionis Shoulder of course, where a transporter from Eryth Sea is now conveniently within reach.

zFwBk2f.png

So I guess what I'm try to get at is, I think we could get a petty sizable new chunk of content (including voiced cutscenes) that's mostly post-game stuff, but I'm not expecting a lot of changes to the main game besides minor quality of life stuff like making side-quests easier to track or maybe more fast travel points.

We also see Melia and Shulk wearing new armor, so at least one new set of armor for each character is cool, though I think probably 2 or 3 is likely.

But I'd be happy with them just making slight changes to a certain cutscene towards the end of the game. I'm mostly fine with the game the way it already is.