• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've got a checklist of things I'm hoping for from the Definitive Edition. Voiced Heart to Hearts, Land of Challenge, Bionis Shoulder integrated into the story, and a few lines in the main story rewritten because there were some... awkward lines in there, not going to lie. A few more landmarks would also be nice (Agora Shore I'm looking at you). A slightly revised Affinity Chart bringing in features from Torna such as the over-head indicator of new links would also be great. Howden definitely talked about working on a project fans would like, I just hope that means DE.
I like to keep my expectations low. So besides the major graphical upgrade, I'm not expecting a whole lot. Though, voiced heart-to-hearts would be really nice.

The big one though is the playable Bionis Shoulder. I think when it comes to "new content" that will be most of it. I really feel right now that it's been re-purposed into a post-game/epilogue area. Hopefully that means....

Colony 9 after the end of the game is playable and explorable too, since that's also playable in the games files. I think if they fleshed those areas out with some new NPC dialogue, side-quests, and story stuff I'd be happy.

And if this is a post-game area now, the feathers on the new title, Melia as a focus on the ending shot, new outfit, and Alcamoth in the distance makes me think we may get some kind of side-story relating to her.

My theory for now is that they're going to re-purpose the side story about Fiora getting her body back into a post-game scenario. The group discovers the regeneration pod, but "uh-oh, it's not working. We need parts to repair it...but where would we get parts to fix a High Entia regeneration chamber?" The Telethia Lab in Alcamoth of course! But how do we get there now that the Bionis has crumbled? Sail on over to the Bionis Shoulder of course, where a transporter from Eryth Sea is now conveniently within reach.

zFwBk2f.png

So I guess what I'm try to get at is, I think we could get a petty sizable new chunk of content (including voiced cutscenes) that's mostly post-game stuff, but I'm not expecting a lot of changes to the main game besides minor quality of life stuff like making side-quests easier to track or maybe more fast travel points.

We also see Melia and Shulk wearing new armor, so at least one new set of armor for each character is cool, though I think probably 2 or 3 is likely.

But I'd be happy with them just making slight changes to a certain cutscene towards the end of the game. I'm mostly fine with the game the way it already is.

Great ideas/points. New post game content would be a dream come true. I'd expect to see the end of the game brought into line with Xenoblade 2.

The difference in the way Klaus is portrayed feels too deliberate to be accidental. He comes across as a much more sympathetic character. Will Alvis be confirmed as Ontos? You feel like he has to be at this point.

It would be strange to see Xenoblade remain the same in a post-Xenoblade 2 world. This is Monolith Soft's chance to bring the two games into total alignment.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that we see Klaus through his perspective in XBC2 and from a neutral observer in XBC1.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

Monado Rudra has finished up his 4th analysis of XC2's cast, this time featuring Mythra which is part 1 of two covering her in torna and pyra/mythra in the main game.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Remember that we see Klaus through his perspective in XBC2 and from a neutral observer in XBC1.

Great point, but it feels like such a substantial change in tone, along with additional dialogue and context, that surely it must now become the 'canon' version so to speak. Intrigued to see how they handle it.

I've had a busy week or so on Xenoblade 2. I completed my rare blade collection, reached merc rank five and reach maximum development level in every area of the game.

I also completed a bunch of blade quests, including those for the likes of KOS-MOS, Newt, Praxis and Theory. It's been really fun to find out a little bit more about these characters. The quests themselves aren't out of this world or anything, but they're pretty cool.

As someone who snapped up the season pass as soon as it was available, I feel like I've really benefited from the extras I received. Having easy ways to boost trust and raise my merc level have really allowed me to cut out loads of grinding and get to the good stuff.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Shameless double post (seven weeks apart, mind you).

Always cool to see new Xenoblade content. Skye has been a wonderful member of the community. It sounds like she will stream Definitive Edition next year, which should be awesome.

Get Pyra/Mythra in Smash already Nintendo!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Shameless double post (seven weeks apart, mind you).

Always cool to see new Xenoblade content. Skye has been a wonderful member of the community. It sounds like she will stream Definitive Edition next year, which should be awesome.

Get Pyra/Mythra in Smash already Nintendo!

This was really fun to do! Skye's such a wholesome person

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Roll on another Xenoblade year!

We've seen XC2, Torna, soundtrack albums and art books all released in the last two years - and now we've got XCDE on the horizon. We're in a golden Xeno era folks. Let's enjoy it.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Xenoblade X's fifth anniversary is coming up in April too. :D

We're a month + a week or so away from Xenogears 22nd anniversary North American release as well.

I will never stop posting about Xeno...I'm getting a Xenogears tattoo next month. I post a few threads a year in the main forums about Xenogears usually. It's just so good, lol.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
edit: I already posted same info like 3 posts ago. lmao

I have a deposit down on a tribute tattoo. I dunno why but I'm in freaking Xeno mode lately. Finally playing through Xenoblade DE, the only one I've never touched. It's nice so far.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
We already have Definitive Edition as our Xeno game for this year, but I don't think Monolith Soft is going to stop there.

I'm expecting the next Smash character reveal to be Rex and Pyra/Mythra.
edit: I already posted same info like 3 posts ago. lmao

I have a deposit down on a tribute tattoo. I dunno why but I'm in freaking Xeno mode lately. Finally playing through Xenoblade DE, the only one I've never touched. It's nice so far.

I like these posts very much. Polished off XC2 and Torna in recent weeks with my girlfriend. I had so much fun revisiting those games and sharing them with her. It's left me itching for more Xenoblade.

I feel a little lost now without playing them each night. It must have taken my overall playtime for XC2 + Torna to 420ish hours... but I want more! lol

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I like these posts very much. Polished off XC2 and Torna in recent weeks with my girlfriend. I had so much fun revisiting those games and sharing them with her. It's left me itching for more Xenoblade.

I feel a little lost now without playing them each night. It must have taken my overall playtime for XC2 + Torna to 420ish hours... but I want more! lol

Xenogears is my all time favorite RPG besides FF7, just finished my 5th playthrough last week, and first on VITA (what was I waiting for, yeesh!?). XC1 is giving off a very chill vibe compared to Gears, Saga and XC2 so far.

XC2 will always be super emotional to me because one of our cats (RIP :( : ( :( ) used to love watching that game on the big screen. No joke.

I miss my Xenokitty.

31YnGj7.jpg

uEOC4s8.jpg

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Xenogears is my all time favorite RPG besides FF7, just finished my 5th playthrough last week, and first on VITA (what was I waiting for, yeesh!?). XC1 is giving off a very chill vibe compared to Gears, Saga and XC2 so far.

XC2 will always be super emotional to me because one of our cats (RIP :( : ( :( ) used to love watching that game on the big screen. No joke.

I miss my Xenokitty.

31YnGj7.jpg

uEOC4s8.jpg

My three unfortunately have no interest in Xenoblade - I may have recruited my girlfriend into the Xeno fandom, but getting these louts interested seems impossible...

3-E381-C7-C-FCE2-442-A-BDCE-D554-B589-B1-EA.jpg

4-D0221-A0-5-E5-A-4-F5-D-848-C-95-BF31-F6-EEF1.jpg

7-ABD2524-1-F5-C-491-C-8136-FEF6-A1-CE88-EA.jpg

Sorry to hear about your cat. Losing pets is very tough. :(

XC will soon pick up. It takes a while to getting going, but doesn't stop when it does.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
My three unfortunately have no interest in Xenoblade - I may have recruited my girlfriend into the Xeno fandom, but getting these louts interested seems impossible...

Sorry to hear about your cat. Losing pets is very tough. :(

XC will soon pick up. It takes a while to getting going, but doesn't stop when it does.

I think it was something about the particle effects on the screen during XC2. Just fascinated him.

Yeah been playing XC between the football today and it's picking up now.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Hit Chapter 7 in XBC: DE. It's picking up, but still having trouble pegging it on my Xeno tier list. Will just have to play on!
So you're in Makna Forest, then?

I'm still at a point where I've played through Xenogears and all the Xenoblade games, but nothing from Xenosaga unfortunately (thanks Namco >.>).

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So you're in Makna Forest, then?

I'm still at a point where I've played through Xenogears and all the Xenoblade games, but nothing from Xenosaga unfortunately (thanks Namco >.>).

Yup, just working through side quests while I have some bread in the oven.

This is the only one I HAVEN'T played - I was sort of out of gaming during it's initial release.

Xenosaga is just OK. It's probably better than I credit it for, but nothing could have lived up to my expectations after Xenogears.

BTW: HI!! I recall you posting in my Kingdom Hearts All-In-One straight playthrough thread. LOL

Last edited:

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, just working through side quests while I have some bread in the oven.

This is the only one I HAVEN'T played - I was sort of out of gaming during it's initial release.

Xenosaga is just OK. It's probably better than I credit it for, but nothing could have lived up to my expectations after Xenogears.

BTW: HI!! I recall you posting in my Kingdom Hearts All-In-One straight playthrough thread. LOL
I don't know too much about Xenosaga in general, but I've heard about enough bits that interest me that I'd like to check out the trilogy someday along with Pied Piper. I just don't know if I'll ever get the chance at this rate.

And oh yeah, I forgot about that thread. Hi!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I don't know too much about Xenosaga in general, but I've heard about enough bits that interest me that I'd like to check out the trilogy someday along with Pied Piper. I just don't know if I'll ever get the chance at this rate.

And oh yeah, I forgot about that thread. Hi!

Do you have a PC? I don't think any of them are particularly challenging to emulate these days.

Xenosaga 1 and 3 are the best of the lot. I thought 2 was atrocious.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think the issue for me in the UK is actually getting hold of some of these games. I'm not sure I want to go out and buy an older machine and if memory serves, I'm sure some of these games never even saw a release in my country.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue for me in the UK is actually getting hold of some of these games. I'm not sure I want to go out and buy an older machine and if memory serves, I'm sure some of these games never even saw a release in my country.

Xenosaga 2 was the only one with a European release.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Xenosaga 2 was the only one with a European release.

Yeah, I thought as much. I did look into it quite a bit a while back to see if, by hook or by crook, I get something sorted on my Vita, but I think it was going to be expensive and a pain in the arse (pissing about with regions, buying credit overseas... something to do with a memory card too).

And that may have only been for Xenogears.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Has anybody else, after finishing Xenoblade Definitive Edition, gone back to Xenoblade 2? I just can't get enough of the game. I'm on my third playthrough!

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Has anybody else, after finishing Xenoblade Definitive Edition, gone back to Xenoblade 2? I just can't get enough of the game. I'm on my third playthrough!

Polished off my third playthrough in recent weeks - I just adore that game. I can't express how much I love it, warts and all.

I want something from Monolith Soft next year, but part of me feels greedy. They've given me an awful lot over the last three years.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Xenoblade def has more in common with Xenogears than people let on.

Getting super mega Solaris vibes from Alcamoth. And the Homs/High Entia are a lot like Lambs and Solarians. Still in chapter 8 so no spoilers please.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenoblade def has more in common with Xenogears than people let on.

Getting super mega Solaris vibes from Alcamoth. And the Homs/High Entia are a lot like Lambs and Solarians. Still in chapter 8 so no spoilers please.
Wait till you play 2

yup, started a no inn normal mode run with torna between ch 7 and 8

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Where the Xeno family at? What are we all doing while waiting for our next big hit?

Chapter 13 of XCDE...still working on the endless quests. Is there a quick, cheap way to max out affinity with every party member for every party member? Cause I've done every. single. sidequest, have been trying to switch up party while doing so, and basically only shulk will be maxed out with everyone by the end of the game, I'd say.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
At the point of no return in XCDE, just cleaning up side quests.

Without writing an essay about it on my phone, suffice it to say that the longer the story went on the more closely it resembled Xenogears. Soooo many similarities both in story beats and themes. I mean this as high praise.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I finished Torna - The Golden Country and it made me realise that Future Connected wasn't as impressive as I initially thought.

Torna's great, isn't it? Cool characters, great writing, an intriguing narrative, new combat mechanics and some great QoL improvements from the main game.

I'm on record as saying I think FC is the worst Xenoblade content Monolith Soft has ever produced.

It feels weightless and completely inconsequential. I didn't expect much and I thought it was pretty poor.

Torna stomps all over it - but on the flip side, Torna was sold standalone where as FC is meant to be a little bonus.

Without writing an essay about it on my phone, suffice it to say that the longer the story went on the more closely it resembled Xenogears. Soooo many similarities both in story beats and themes. I mean this as high praise.

Glad you're enjoying it. Xenoblade is great - it has a few lulls early on. But once it hits its stride, it doesn't stop.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Where the Xeno family at? What are we all doing while waiting for our next big hit?
I'm taking a break for a while since I basically 100%'d Definitive Edition over the summer (I somehow got every achievement and I never want to do that again).

Xenoblade 1 does have some similarities to Xenogears, but I think Xenoblade 2 + Torna feels the closest to Xenogears out of the Xenoblade games so far.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm taking a break for a while since I basically 100%'d Definitive Edition over the summer (I somehow got every achievement and I never want to do that again).

Xenoblade 1 does have some similarities to Xenogears, but I think Xenoblade 2 + Torna feels the closest to Xenogears out of the Xenoblade games so far.

Gotta disagree. I think XC1 is a pretty close fascimile of Xenogears- many of the main story beats are exactly the same, just...somewhat dumbed down (I mean this in a neutral way but take it as you will). XC2 pretty much did it's own thing until like the last third when you hit the Land of Morytha.

Off the top of my head: Xenogears and XC1 both: start peacefully then feature mechs attacking small village, main character with memory issues, royalty joins party, wels/soylent =
telethia, a "god" using humans for parts, trusted character shoots main character, Krellian = Egil in terms of motivations...

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta disagree. I think XC1 is a pretty close fascimile of Xenogears- many of the main story beats are exactly the same, just...somewhat dumbed down (I mean this in a neutral way but take it as you will). XC2 pretty much did it's own thing until like the last third when you hit the Land of Morytha.

Off the top of my head: Xenogears and XC1 both: start peacefully then feature mechs attacking small village, main character with memory issues, royalty joins party, wels/soylent =
telethia, a "god" using humans for parts, trusted character shoots main character, Krellian = Egil in terms of motivations...
Even before Morytha, I feel like Xenoblade 2's general structure reminded me a bit more of Xenogears. Rex meeting Pyra reminded me of Abel becoming the first Contact and in general I feel like more time in Xenoblade 2's story was spent on fleshing out the world's history. Xenoblade 1 still has a good amount of that, but Xenoblade 2 really dives into it a lot. I feel like Xenoblade 2's primary villains also get a lot of screentime in general, which definitely reminded me of Xenogears. Also how many flashbacks there were for characters like Jin and Amalthus even before the expansion was out.

And then Torna itself reminds me a lot of Xenogears Episode IV. I feel like going into the event similarities there would take a while though, so I'll just include this image from someone in a discord server:

unknown.png

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Even before Morytha, I feel like Xenoblade 2's general structure reminded me a bit more of Xenogears. Rex meeting Pyra reminded me of Abel becoming the first Contact and in general I feel like more time in Xenoblade 2's story was spent on fleshing out the world's history. Xenoblade 1 still has a good amount of that, but Xenoblade 2 really dives into it a lot. I feel like Xenoblade 2's primary villains also get a lot of screentime in general, which definitely reminded me of Xenogears. Also how many flashbacks there were for characters like Jin and Amalthus even before the expansion was out.

And then Torna itself reminds me a lot of Xenogears Episode IV. I feel like going into the event similarities there would take a while though, so I'll just include this image from someone in a discord server:

unknown.png

All good points! Tbh I'm just so glad the Xenogears flame is kept kindled