• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
I'm not here to tone police anyone. I came here to see if others were seeing what I was seeing. I don't like your accusatory tone by the way.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a country of one billion people, each with their own hopes, dreams, feelings, sadness and happiness each, for me there would be no conceivable way to call an entire nation brainwashed, that goes for the US too.
When i say brainwashed I mean indoctrinated t propoganda, not movie brainwashing where they completely rewrite your entire personality. Which should be pretty obvious if you actually pay attention to the context of my posts

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Your only contribution to this week's discussion appears to be tone policing how people should or shouldn't criticize the Chinese government. It's a weak position, especially since Era in general has been careful not to generalize against all Chinese people. If you have a problem with how the topic is discussed elsewhere, it might be more productive to take it up on those platforms instead of grasping at straws about how we (who aren't doing the things you're upset about) still aren't meeting your nebulous standards.
When you see instant calls for the deportation of anyone who "supports the CCP" regardless of citizenship status on this website, it is fucking concerning considering this is the only place you can discuss this without being automatically drowned out by people calling you a chink or gook.

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
Your only contribution to this week's discussion appears to be tone policing how people should or shouldn't criticize the Chinese government. It's a weak position, especially since Era in general has been careful not to generalize against all Chinese people. If you have a problem with how the topic is discussed elsewhere, it might be more productive to take it up on those platforms instead of grasping at straws about how we (who aren't doing the things you're upset about) still aren't meeting your nebulous standards.
I'm not here to tone police anyone. I came here to see if others were seeing what I was seeing. I don't like your accusatory tone by the way.

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
There was a post on the EtcetEra side calling for deportation of all Chinese international students. So yeah I'm seeing it.
I'm honestly a bit disheartened. I came here expecting the more open community I usually see here. I suppose on this topic it's not there.

As half the posts accuse me more or less of being a Chinese nationalist arguing in bad faith.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I said this earlier but it got missed: if the word "brainwashing" is too loaded with anti-Asian racism, "indoctrination" might be better.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was a post on the EtcetEra side calling for deportation of all Chinese international students. So yeah I'm seeing it.
That's insane. Was the user banned for it? But honestly when we say "nobody here is saying that" we just mean that the vast majority of the people arguing are not doing so from that position, not that literally zero people are saying it. Even here you'll get a few individual assholes, we shouldn't let them dominate the discussion though

Not happening much here since the mods have a good eye for these things, but yeah on other sites I'm definitely seeing some bad actors taking advantage of the overall sentiment to post some garbage. Chinese citizens are people just like us and are also victims of the CCP's authoritarian actions.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people should say this about everyone in China because that's an overgeneralisation. However, I do think it is valuable to point out that a lot of people in China have been straight up indoctrinated. People basically using "brainwashed" as a synonym for that aren't wrong in my opinion, I mean there are literally "thought/belief reform" camps over there.

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
I said this earlier but it got missed: if the word "brainwashing" is too loaded with anti-Asian racism, "indoctrination" might be better.
Might be better. Though misguided or just taught wrong might be better. The issue is that brainwashed is a term everyone knows that fits with what most want to say even if I personally think it's both racist and Ill fit.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
When you see instant calls for the deportation of anyone who "supports the CCP" regardless of citizenship status on this website, it is fucking concerning considering this is the only place you can discuss this without being automatically drowned out by people calling you a chink or gook.

Got a link to this one?

🤔

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Got a link to this one?

🤔

This is ignoring that Canada has had a historically large Chinese population so the implication that every "thug" harassing protestors is directly mainland affiliated is incredibly racist and misguided, it's why I can't feel good about every single person shouting Fuck China over and over because to westerners we are all the goddamn same

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018

This is ignoring that Canada has had a historically large Chinese population so the implication that every "thug" harassing protestors is directly mainland affiliated is incredibly racist and misguided, it's why I can't feel good about every single person shouting Fuck China over and over because to westerners we are all the goddamn same
Wow.... That's awful. I'll agree most definitely. I fear "Fuck China" could easily turn into "fuck Chinese people" or "fuck the Chinese".

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

They are supporting a genocidal fascist government. I don't agree with deportion, but let's be clear, by supporting the CCP they are supporting genocide.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They are supporting a genocidal fascist government. I don't agree with deportion, but let's be clear, by supporting the CCP they are supporting genocide.
I'm not mention any support of the CCP here so I don't know why you're bringing up their actions if not to discredit my own personal feelings of racism being incredibly prevelant in these discussions, as someone else has said, I do not expect westerners to tell us apart.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not mention any support of the CCP here so I don't know why you're bringing up their actions if not to discredit my own personal feelings of racism being incredibly prevelant in these discussions, as someone else has said, I do not expect westerners to tell us apart.

The linked video clearly shows people defacing pro-HK art and harassing HK protestors. Are you arguing they are doing it for some other reason than supporting CCP?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Fine continue to be disingenuous. Not liking something is far from policing it.

Just a funny choice of words is all. But fine, I'm concerned that you're attempting to deflect discussion of an important topic by claiming that some people in the conversation are being racist about it. Which, yes, of course they are. Any Reddit thread about Blizzard this week has examples of that.

I think we agree that that's generally not happening here, with any offenders getting moderated appropriately. As such, it seems like a weird side of the conversation to focus on exclusively.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
every "thug" harassing protestors is directly mainland affiliated is incredibly racist and misguided

The Tweet that the thread is about states mainland specifically. The owner of that tweet looks Chinese in ethnicity so I'm not sure where the racism is there?

Also that thread doesn't state anywhere that:

There was a post on the EtcetEra side calling for deportation of all Chinese international students.

All I'm seeing is users wanting those that were harassing people from Hong Kong to be deported (not that I necessarily agree with that).

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
Just a funny choice of words is all. But fine, I'm concerned that you're attempting to deflect discussion of an important topic by claiming that some people in the conversation are being racist about it. Which, yes, of course they are. Any Reddit thread about Blizzard this week has examples of that.

I think we agree that that's generally not happening here, with any offenders getting moderated appropriately. As such, it seems like a weird side of the conversation to focus on exclusively.
No it's not weird. It might seem weird if you're not fearful you'll become a target. I'll agree it's not happening much here, but why are you against me asking for opinions of others on a forum? What's so weird about that?

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
The Tweet that the thread is about states mainland specifically. The owner of that tweet looks Chinese in ethnicity so I'm not sure where the racism is there?

All I'm seeing is people wanting those that were harassing people from Hong Kong to be deported (not that I necessarily agree with that).
My apologies if I sounded annoyed. I'm just getting a bit heated at being accused of bad faith arguments in favor of the CCP, an organization I despise.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The linked video clearly shows people defacing pro-HK art and harassing HK protestors. Are you arguing they are doing it for some other reason than supporting CCP?
No I'm talking about the deportation rhetoric that people use here incredibly casually.

Are we not allowed to talk about the feelings of racism and xenophobia we feel as Asians/Chinese? The inherent danger I feel the next time I see someone just write Fuck China and calling for us to be deported enmasse.

All I'm seeing is people wanting those that were harassing people from Hong Kong to be deported (not that I necessarily agree with that).
You're telling a Chinese person that they shouldn't feel like this rhetoric is racist against Chinese people, this rhetoric is mainstream press here and has been slowly building, it comes with it, the implication that every Chinese person is a secret agent of the CCP. And people there were calling for deportation regardless of citizenship status, that is insane.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Those responses are appalling and should be reported or at least warrant a staff post. Calling for deportation is not going to fix anything and only generates fear and hatemongering.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not that there isn't bigotry out there, but in this case it's siding with Hong Kong protesters vs Chinese government. So racist generalizations against all Asians or Chinese descent people would be very bizarre

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Are we not allowed to talk about the feelings of racism and xenophobia we feel as Asians/Chinese? The inherent danger I feel the next time I see someone just write Fuck China and calling for us to be deported enmasse.

No, that's fair. I won't tell you how to feel about racism directed against you.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not that there isn't bigotry out there, but in this case it's siding with Hong Kong protesters vs Chinese government. So racist generalizations against all Asians or Chinese descent people would be very bizarre

Right-wingers would have you believe Hong Kong are the "good" Asians for upholding western ideals of free speech and democracy.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You're telling a Chinese person that they shouldn't feel like this rhetoric is racist against Chinese people, this rhetoric is mainstream press here and has been slowly building, it comes with it, the implication that every Chinese person is a secret agent of the CCP. And people there were calling for deportation regardless of citizenship status, that is insane.

I never said that but thanks for putting words into my mouth. I was stating the facts from that thread so the whole context is there. You obviously have the right to feel the way you do.

I am truly sorry that you feel that way but perhaps you should look closer at why the Chinese people in that specific case are being called out for their behaviour. No where in that thread is anyone calling for all Chinese people to be deported (again, I don't agree with this).

I do not expect westerners to tell us apart

Aren't you now at least being offensive by lumping all westerners together?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is part of why I try to avoid saying "Fuck China" and opt for "Fuck the CCP".
Those responses are appalling and should be reported or at least warrant a staff post. Calling for deportation is not going to fix anything and only generates fear and hatemongering.
Yeah as a Canadian those posts came across as really dumb and edgy.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Aren't you now at least being offensive by lumping all westerners together?
I've been called all manner of Asian my entire life, I've been confused for both North and South Korean, Japanese, Thai, etc.
These are my personal experiences stemming from a lifetime of being Asian in the West, most people honestly can't tell the difference and likely don't care.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You are responding to a tweet showing a video of people destroying a monument offensive to the views of the CCP. They are clearly in support of the CCP. It is not racist to judge them as such. You trying to twist this into being about you instead of them seems very disingenuous and I'm not sure this thread is in good faith. Maybe you keep hearing that because people are being mean to you, or maybe it's true.

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
You are responding to a tweet showing a video of people destroying a monument offensive to the views of the CCP. They are clearly in support of the CCP. It is not racist to judge them as such. You trying to twist this into being about you instead of them seems very disingenuous and I'm not sure this thread is in good faith. Maybe you keep hearing that because people are being mean to you, or maybe it's true.
Oh sure. Disregard everything I've said and again say I'm arguing in bad faith.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
No I'm talking about the deportation rhetoric specifically. Deporting all "CCP supporters" when this is an incredibly tenuous thing. There are plenty of western citizens who are supporters of the mainland.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
unless this is OP trying to spin the wording, when they say "fuck China" they obviously mean the regime and it's supporters, just the same way people hate and complain about Trump and it's supporters by saying "fuck America", it doesn't actually mean they hate every single american. Or at least that's how I am seeing it all. If they really hated asians they wouldn't be protesting in the first place in favor of Hong Kong

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I do get the impression that some people are just parroting things they've heard and taking a stance without actually knowing anything about the situation.

Last edited:

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): xenophobia
It's that "Us vs Them" mentality. I don't think generalizations do us any good but you can't deny that the strict censorship and surveillance coming out of the Chinese Communist Party is all in order to control the way people think and the way they behave. China's lack of freedom of expression isn't really up for debate. You'd be surprised how many Chinese people think the same of the CCP and those that buy into their propaganda.
"I don't hate the people, just the government. Also, fuck China"
Also my thoughts on the matter.

When I say "fuck China and everything they stand for," I'm not saying "fuck all Chinese people" (who unfortunately happen to be brainwashed imo).

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Seriously. This whole thread feels like a thinly veiled attempt to shut down criticism of the heinous actions of the CCP.
I like how attempts to point out the xenophobia and racism we see on display and feel from the current discourse is met with accusation of shilling for the Chinese government.
Nope, not racist at all.