• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Bad elements of a protest (aka opportunists who use it to cause chaos) don't define the protest. I saw this same rhetoric with BLM. Unless you mean to say those protesting peacefully are one and the same with the rioters and should be dealt with as such, which wouldn't be too far off from how people try to discredit protest movements elsewhere in the world, particularly how protests are characterized by right wing media in the US.

Then what was the intention of responding to that poster with that...

I never said such incidents define the protest nor does it discredit the movement.

If certain news is deemed too negative on the protest to be covered, how is it different from what the Chinese propaganda machine is doing? A balanced coverage means reporting everything that's happening, not just the part you agree with. Are we so entrenched in the left vs right mentality that we can't have a nuanced about political topics anymore?

The difference between this discussion and the right-wing rhetorics against BLM is that, BLM protestors didnt stop random reporter on the street because she looks too Chinese and speaks Mandarin. As far as I know, racial profiling is what BLM is protesting against.

A small group of people are taking this protest as an opportunity to express xenophobia and colonial nostalgia precisely because they know certain people will be deemed unworthy victims due to their identity. And that's why we have this thread in the first place.

OP
OP
CynicalSyndie

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
Bad elements of a protest (aka opportunists who use it to cause chaos) don't define the protest. I saw this same rhetoric with BLM. Unless you mean to say those protesting peacefully are one and the same with the rioters and should be dealt with as such, which wouldn't be too far off from how people try to discredit protest movements elsewhere in the world, particularly how protests are characterized by right wing media in the US.

Then what was the intention of responding to that poster with that...
I think his purpose was to show that the narrative of Hong Kong vs China is incorrect and that much of what is being protested is from the government of Hong Kong itself. Now saying that, I'm of the opinion that the CCP bears at least major responsibility for anything done by the local authorities.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I never said such incidents define the protest nor does it discredit the movement.

If certain news is deemed too negative on the protest to be covered, how is it different from what the Chinese propaganda machine is doing? A balanced coverage means reporting everything that's happening, not just the part you agree with. Are we so entrenched in the left vs right mentality that we can't have a nuanced about political topics anymore?

The difference between this discussion and the right-wing rhetorics against BLM is that, BLM protestors didnt stop random reporter on the street because she looks too Chinese and speaks Mandarin. As far as I know, racial profiling is what BLM is protesting against.

A small group of people are taking this protest as an opportunity to express xenophobia and colonial nostalgia precisely because they know certain people will be deemed unworthy victims due to their identity. And that's why we have this thread in the first place.
I think his purpose was to show that the narrative of Hong Kong vs China is incorrect and that much of what is being protested is from the government of Hong Kong itself. Now saying that, I'm of the opinion that the CCP bears at least major responsibility for anything done by the local authorities.
Alright, I appreciate the explanations. I'm asian american myself so I know the feel of orientalism all too well from my own countrymen, but I need to really think on this because I feel like there is not only conflation of the CCP and the Chinese people coming from opportunistic racists and right wing elements, but in the reaction to that as well when it should be a decoupling. Conflation is what both the CCP and right wing elements would want.