• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of when Square used to do this for some people that worked on their games. Like, Chrono Trigger on PS1 scrubs Mitsuda's name from the credits because he had left the company and become a freelancer. His name is back in the credits in the DS version though, so that policy is likely very much dead.

These policies are stupid and harmful for those that work in games as they are proof they actually worked on the game. All it does is punish employees for leaving the company by having their proof scrubbed away.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
They actually patched the game specifically to remove her name from the credits?

That's shitty. What else can be said?

People should be credited for their work. If they want to remove her name from the credits, they should remove her work from the game as well. And if that isn't possible, I guess they should also delist the game.

Guess I won't be buying any more XSEED games.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
That's completely awful.

People deserve to get credit for their work, period. It's not a question of money or law in my mind, it's just the right thing to do.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Bunch of wankers.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Companies hide behind their employees when criticized, but love to erase them when they want credit.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
giphy.gif

I know the details of why she left aren't public or whatever but when you literally pour your soul into a game and are a large part of the reason the localization had so much obvious love put it into it you shouldn't get erased from existence just because you aren't there or because of a falling out or whatever.

I hate when people's hard work goes unrecognized. One of the things in life that rubs me the most wrongly

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Xseed but that is awful.

It's not like crediting someone costs anything. Is it just to try and discourage people leaving? I can't really think of any other reason.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Is this even legal?
Why wouldn't be? The only group that's required to be credited are actors and the like with powerful unions backing them that can demand it written into the employment contract.

And I seem to recall this is hardly an exclusive practice of XSEED. Many other game developers leave former employees out of the credits, or just relegate them to "Special Thanks". There was a bit of discussion regarding this during the whole LA Noire/Team Bondi meltdown.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not good, no matter how you spin it. People who put that much work on a project should be credited, no matter if they are still with a company or not.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Why would any company have a "burn all bridges" policy like that? Seems like a really dumb idea.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Holy shit that is legitimately garbage. It's not like these are new games, these are ports of games she put her all into.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This policy is absolutely garbage. If a person puts in work to a project they should absolutely receive credit for said work.

Everyone leaves behind some kind of legacy, and it's extremely petty and dehumanizing to scrub that away.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Xseed has some weird policies about giving credit between this and "if you request your credit removed from a game you'll never be credited on anything ever again".

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Damn I'd always supported XSEED too, they seemed like the underdog trying to get high quality localisations out there when other bigger companies half-assed them.

But this? Fuck no.
You do the work, you get the credit. It's the way it should be for anything.
It shouldn't even be legal to not be credited.

Company policy my ass, fuck em.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's far too common of a thing to discredit the people that have worked on a game because they didn't make it to the finish line like their work and presence was unnecessary and unwanted. I believe this also happens in the TV/Movie industry, as well.

Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, even though Microsoft removed Notch's name from Minecraft's loading screen tips, his name is still in the credits.

Obviously, it's not 1-to-1, but she worked on the game, she was credited in previous versions, and her work is still in the product that shipped.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't be? The only group that's required to be credited are actors and the like with powerful unions backing them that can demand it written into the employment contract.
The heck? That's the one thing that is not limited in regards to programming copyrights under contract around here, and everything else (e.g. translations) seems to come with more privileges; I assumed it was a Berne Convention thing. Wouldn't the studios still force the pseudonym credits under the situation you describe?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Did she actually work on the game or did they just reuse her localization of the Vita version? As long as there's no new content that she worked on, I don't see a problem. I assume she was credited in the Vita version.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Did she actually work on the game or did they just reuse her localization of the Vita version? As long as there's no new content that she worked on, I don't see a problem. I assume she was credited in the Vita version.

Does it matter? She still worked on the localization, and she should still be credited for that work.