• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I've had a series X since launch and it just hit me that I've never used the disc drive at all. It could have been faulty at launch and I would never know it. I have Gamepass and went all digital purchases pretty early on in the Xbox One era. Even during that generation though I still occasionally would use the drive for something. I can honestly see myself never using it. I'm wondering if they'll ever do a XSX discless edition that can maybe shave $50 off the price. I hate paying for equipment I'll never use. I even went with no optical drive for my last PC build but did purchase an external Blu-Ray drive 'just in case'.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There's a couple of 360 games that are disc only backwards compatible so I use it occasionally for that.

May 14, 2021
Never used it yet. But that's because Game Pass games aren't on disc. I should probably stick a movie in there just to verify it works.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
XSX owner since launch and never touched the disc drive. For movies, I have a dedicated UHD blu ray player(Panasonic UB820) And the games are all digital for me.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If I had one, my first use for it would be to play some old 360 games that I never got around to (all on disc)

But I don't have one

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Not really. Tried it briefly with a Blu-ray early on as I was testing it and my PS5 as I don't have a dedicated player. Old one died a few years back and we rarely watch our BRs/DVDs anymore and stopped buying them so not worth getting another one. XSX drive was way louder than PS5 so won't use it for that.

I do have Red Dead Redemption borrowed from a friend so I'll use the drive for that when I get around to playing it. Sure I'll use it for a third party game that's not on Gamepass at somepoint as I do sometimes like to buy, beat and sell on eBay when done for one and done games.

Solsc

Oct 29, 2017
Full digital since launch day. It's just so convenient to jump between games without having to get up.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Valhalla disk when I got mine, and haven't switched anything out since lol. I like having it though, I have a ton of old 360 games on disk.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
As a mainly PlayStation person who is considering a Series X specifically for BGS games…I wish MS would release a Series X Digital Edition. I don't want to pay for a drive I will never use and the Series S is way too compromised.

I love my PS5 DE, give me the same option, MS!

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Tried to play a UHD movie in it and the buzzing was so loud I vowed never to do that again.

I also have some disc based back compat games but haven't played one yet.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yep, I've got lots of X360 games, and I use it from time to time to replay some of them, especially when new BC optimizations come out.

But yeah, surely Microsoft's telemetry is telling them that not so many people are using it. A cheaper, discless XSX SKU is very likely in the future.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The only disc i have used is 4k blu-rays. I went all in with digital at the tail end of the 360.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I've mostly used it for FPS Boost games like Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. With new releases, I've been fully digital since Series X launch.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
About as much as I did my Xbox One/One X. I still buy the occasional game physically, and I get gifts from time to time. "Here's an actual game that you now own that I picked out for you." hits a lot harder than "Here's an XBL points card, please buy this game for me for you."

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I tested that it worked last weekend with FH2. That was about 3 weeks after I bought the console. I have a few XB1 and 360 games on disc, so that's why I got the XSX.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Mass Effect collection on disc. Only time I've used the disc drive so far.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one game (Bayonetta + Vanquish) because the box looked cool, but I regretted it when I put it in. There's noise and it's an inconvenience.

I like having it around because it's the only way I have right now to play a CD, DVD or Blu-ray in case I ever feel that urge.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, all the time. Anything I don't get through Game Pass I buy physical so I can resell it, and it's my only 4K Blu Ray player, so there's always a disc in there.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Had Cyberpunk pre-ordered so...

Disk went in, came out a day later.

Since then only for a couple of 4k films.

Will get DMC5 in there eventually, and cyberpunk again if they ever fix it.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a console but Halo Infinite will be the first physical copy of a game I have bought since…Halo 5 but just for the collectors edition.