• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Y: The Last Man' FX Cast Unveiled as Diane Lane and Barry Keoghan to Star
Two months after FX formally announced plans to make a pilot for beloved graphic novel Y: The Last Man, the cable network has announced the cast for the highly anticipated drama.

Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Imogen Poots (Green Room), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession) and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) will star in Michael Green's adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's comic series.

Lane will play Senator Jennifer Brown, a junior senator in her first term who has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics, she is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.

Keoghan will take on the lead role of Yorick, a young man who is quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Poots will play Hero Brown, a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Lynch will portray Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism — even under the most unexpected circumstances.

Canfield will take on the role of Beth, a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they're together, there's the undeniable spark of two kids in love.

Ireland rounds out the cast as Nora, the president's senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.

EDIT: Unfortunate update:

EDIT2: Show is still moving forward on FX, but they're looking for a new showrunner:
FX's 'Y: The Last Man' Series Parting Ways With Showrunners
FX is still moving forward with its series adaptation of the beloved comic book series Y: The Last Man — but not with the original showrunners. Aida Croal and Michael Green on Monday announced their exit in a statement on Twitter.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that the project is still a go at the network, with the same cast in place, but the hunt is now on to replace the duo who had shepherded the development and piloting of the series now just being dubbed Y. Sources say that the exit came after creative differences with the network over the course of the show.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a comic series adaptation and they identify Diane Lane as being from Under the Tuscan Sun.

Lol.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Barry Keoghan? That's...a bit of a surprise. The pretty obvious inspiration for Yorick was Ryan Reynolds, wonder if he can channel some of that energy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That dude was so fucking creepy in A Killing of a Sacred Deer, he's a great actor but I don't really see him as a Yorick. I guess we'll see.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn this dude is one of the better upcoming young actors. Liked him quite a bit in Dunkirk and Sacred Deer

Great cast overall, who is showrunning this?

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Great cast overall, who is showrunning this?
Michael Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049, Logan) and Aïda Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn) serve as showrunners and executive producers. Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, The Hunger Games) and Vaughan executive produce and developed the series. Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None, Beyonce: Formation) will direct the pilot and exec produce the FX Productions drama.

Nov 3, 2017
I....was not fond of the ending however.

lj2WUIS.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they stick to the ending.

Not sure about Keoghan. Could be really easy to portray Yorick as unlikable if the actor isn't careful, not sure I can picture him in that role at all, so we'll see.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to finally see this in production. Can't wait to see how it is. Y: The Last Man is one of my favs

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stick to the ending.

Not sure about Keoghan. Could be really easy to portray Yorick as unlikable if the actor isn't careful, not sure I can picture him in that role at all, so we'll see.

Yorick casting has to be perfect. Yorick could be sanctimonious at times but he was always admirable and relatable.

Hmm. Looking up this Barry Keoghan and I'm really skeptical.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
That dude was so fucking creepy in A Killing of a Sacred Deer, he's a great actor but I don't really see him as a Yorick. I guess we'll see.
I agree with this, totally unexpected and I don't see it yet. However, based on the pitch perfect casting for the women, I gotta give them the benefit of the doubt.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
loEi60b.gif

Keoghan is super fascinating actor, if given good stuff to do (Killing of a Sacred Deer), but less so when not (Dunkirk).

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excited.

Ending is quite polarizing, I'm on the "love it" end so I hope they stick with it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. He's fantastic but I'm having a hard time picturing him as Yorick. I'm glad they went with someone more unconventional though, and not like some generic CW dude.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Could also see that, though I could have sworn Brian K. Vaughan even said that he'd cast reynolds (Though I can't find anything on google, so perhaps I'm just misremembering)

I feel like I've heard that bit too, but I'm not certain either. It's been years since I read them.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Worth catching to check her acting chops? A shitty 355 will break this thing, IMO.
I'm guessing no, based on the reviews that panned the show. A few of them said she did a good job, though. This might be one of those instances with the casting where we're just not going to know what we have until they air the pilot or we see some reviews. Lots of unknowns here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Same, but we might be watching the wrong shows. Lol.
She's credited in Captain Marvel but what character she's playing hasn't been revealed. She's got a few other acting credits and recurring roles outside of that Still Star-Crossed show, but none that I've heard of
  • Bulletproof
  • Brotherhood
  • Doctors
  • Crims
  • Silent Witness
  • Fast Girls
So she isn't new by any stretch, but either her or Barry perform poorly in their roles, this show will be terrible.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a generally great comic book with a lot of strong character content, so I hope these actors are up to the task.

That said...I also hope they improve on some of the storytelling decisions towards the end and aren't afraid of making a few modifications instead of going for a literal adaptation. I am not only referring to the one major event that usually gets brought up in these discussions, which was admittedly painful but I've grown to accept, but other parts of the last issue or so that felt sloppy and arbitrary at the time and still tend to feel off when I re-read them.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Keoghan isn't what I pictured for Yorick, but the rest of the cast is spot-on to their comic book counterparts.

Disappointed they haven't announced an actress for Dr. Mann yet though, the story doesn't really get rolling until she joins the main cast IMO. I'd assume the first season is going to cover the arcs from the start until they leave Boston.

I'm also hoping they don't do a Preacher-style reinterpretation where they pluck plotlines from all over the series to stick in a single season. It will likely happen, simply due to the reality of needing to fill out a season without constantly building new sets, but the road-trip feel of the story is essential in my mind.

I guess the same could be said for Preacher though...

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
People talking about whether they should keep the ending or not... I'm doubtful it will last long enough to make that a real worry. Definitely not sold on the cast - and it needs to be perfect for this adaptation to work.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about whether they should keep the ending or not... I'm doubtful it will last long enough to make that a real worry. Definitely not sold on the cast - and it needs to be perfect for this adaptation to work.

FX has a pretty good track record, even in its earlier days, of keeping dramas afloat through absurd levels of promotion and critical acclaim. It's the comedies that fare much worse.