• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Happened this afternoon. The comment section is displaying following message.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting.

This is long overdue tbh. That place is such a cesspool. There are full of bots, malware links and trolls. Their censorship algorithm is also broken. I can't type the word "pass" because it has "ass" in it, for example.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Good, but it needs to be permanent. TMZ axed their comment section as well. Now it's YouTube's turn. Fire all those trolls directly into the sun.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
All comment on all articles should be terminated. They add nothing of value and in fact cause harm.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I know I'm in a minority here - but I don't want to see comment sections totally removed.

Don't get me wrong - all the racist, homophobic, sexist trash can go die in a dumpster. I'm not excusing that. But on Youtube, like 90% of the humor comes from hilarious observations in the comments.

Or on a tech blog, say, the Verge, there's often critical observations or comparisons in the commentary. Jalopnik - that's how you interact with the car community. And on something like DPReview - that's where I see a general consensus on camera gear or thoughts I may not have had myself.

For most news articles, I typically read the first couple paragraphs - find the key metrics or details somewhere in the middle - and then scroll to the bottom to see how folks are responding, or what the general reactions are.

Oct 29, 2017
I have some level of self-hatred so every time I read a yahoo article I always scrolled down and looked at the comments (especially for sports stories). It had, in my experience, some of the worst comments I had ever seen on the internet. And it was endless. I would scroll for 1000+ comments and it would be the same vile shit. Thankfully I've (for the most part) stopped that habit. Comment sections should be removed from all news articles.

Oct 27, 2017
For most news articles, I typically read the first couple paragraphs - find the key metrics or details somewhere in the middle - and then scroll to the bottom to see how folks are responding, or what the general reactions are.

The problem is the comments can be bots spamming a particular talking point to move away from the message and to make you think that's what the general reaction is, which in turn helps formulate your opinion, especially when most don't read the whole article

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good, but it needs to be permanent. TMZ axed their comment section as well. Now it's YouTube's turn. Fire all those trolls directly into the sun.
SOrry No, as an Engineer I do enjoy the comment section of a youtube vid sometimes. For instance about welding or carpentry. There can be great discussions and tips in there. That assholes misbehave is not the comment section its Alphabet/Google's failure to hire ACTUAL PEOPLE to moderate! Which they could easily do. On top of that they push people towards right wing radical videos to make more money from ads. NO matter how you look at it, it's Google's fault not the commenters.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The good of the internet gets buried under the negativity and nit picking of the trolls. When sites get too big to moderate with actual people, the comment sections just fall apart when anonymity brings out the worst of people. Attempts to moderate with an algorithm is difficult.

The trolls should not be allowed to rule the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree and would rather more strict moderation be enforced. There are many videos on craft, artistry and culture that generate good discussion and well intentioned humor. The majority of sewage comments come from political/minority related videos. Perhaps disabling comments for those categories like they have with children's content is the way to go over a blanket ban.