• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa finished chapter 8 yesterday.

I didn't expect Lee and Sagawa to be killed and a new mysterious character appearing. I feel the Majima's story will not have a happy end.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last fight with Kuze loses a bit of its lustre when you can literally take off multiple health bars by shanking him with a knife. Kiryu's drunk abilities are insanely OP, combined with the ability that makes heat actions stronger at level 3.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I apparently suck at disco dancing. There's a substory series where you have to beat three people at disco dancing. Managed to beat to first two quite easily but the last one seems impossible for me. I play the song on easy and she still beats me 3700:7000. I need a break now lol.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I apparently suck at disco dancing. There's a substory series where you have to beat three people at disco dancing. Managed to beat to first two quite easily but the last one seems impossible for me. I play the song on easy and she still beats me 3700:7000. I need a break now lol.

The trick to get a high score is to make as many steps possible before having to go to the input.

For example, if the next input is a X on the other side of the floor, the best way to get points is to pick the longest path to it (up to 9 steps) then pressing X in the correct place.

You need to know it's impossible to do it for every input. Sometimes the timing is strict and you have to go straight to it, but most of them you can manage 3-4 steps before pressing.

Hope hat helps.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018

I gave up on that substory, lol, and for the same reason.

I even tried different controllers to see if I could input commands faster, even my arcade stick, but to no avail

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
They also usually place the next disco input far/close enough away to where you can reach it by moving one square on every eighth note. You can get more points by going crazy between inputs, but I found by sticking to the beat I never missed an input and that was enough to beat the final disco showdowns in a few tries (your opponent's scores also have quite a bit of variance, so they can reach 6500 one time then only 5000 the next).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The same happens in the cabaret rival battles, you could steamroll them or they eat you for breakfast and there is no logic as to why they become so fierce all of a sudden

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
The trick to get a high score is to make as many steps possible before having to go to the input.

For example, if the next input is a X on the other side of the floor, the best way to get points is to pick the longest path to it (up to 9 steps) then pressing X in the correct place.

You need to know it's impossible to do it for every input. Sometimes the timing is strict and you have to go straight to it, but most of them you can manage 3-4 steps before pressing.

Hope hat helps.
I tried the extra steps thing but then I more often than not fail to reach the input in time or I think I have to act quickly now and then press X too early. It probably comes down to training but this mini game just isn't fun enough to do that. Kinda sucks since I don't have any problems with the timing when I do karaoke for example. Thanks for the tips, though. Appreciated.

I even tried different controllers to see if I could input commands faster, even my arcade stick, but to no avail
Good to know I'm not the only one failing at this.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

It's counter-intuitive but those disco battles are easier on normal/hard because you gain points through continuous combos while opponents will destroy you in step count between beats, and there are more combo opportunities on higher difficulties and more potential for your opponent to screw up their combo.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I tried the extra steps thing but then I more often than not fail to reach the input in time or I think I have to act quickly now and then press X too early. It probably comes down to training but this mini game just isn't fun enough to do that. Kinda sucks since I don't have any problems with the timing when I do karaoke for example. Thanks for the tips, though. Appreciated.

Good to know I'm not the only one failing at this.
Disco is my Yakuza Achilles heel. I had to grind out media king for like an hour to beat him >.<

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I only had trouble with Ogita on Kiryu's side, which I had to retry 3-4 times, all the other ones were first try. Just be precise and trigger fever mode immediately.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
And here I have just 3-star-ed the last 2 songs on Hard today.. . :/
I'm even doing them on Hard now when going on dates with the Platinums, lol.
Well, Koi no Disco Queen at least. That's the easiest one for me.

All I can say is: you don't need to get too crazy with the steps. Having fewer steps but hitting the beat is better than having tons of steps but missing.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Once I managed to understand how to add the extra steps to each song, disco became one of my favortfa minigames. Got 3 stars on all songs even.

It's a lot of fun once you are in the middle of a song and have to decide between going to the next input and pushing more steps to get a high score

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just started up this game, and been fixing my crumbling audio and stuttering frame rate by editing the ini file.

Not far. Chapter 2 I think it becomes available. I seem to remember having basically all the CP's related to Mahjong complete by chapter 4 so I know you get access to it and the rest of the mini games really early on.
Cool, thanks. I can't wait to learn the game.

Last edited:

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whew, just finished the game today, what a ride. I started playing at around 1:30pm on CH 14, thinking I'd be done in maybe 2-3 hours. Looked at the clock when I got the end screen and it was 9pm :|. I think that's the longest I've gamed for consecutively in my whole life and I didn't even feel it.

Loved the story, the theme, the aesthetics, the sub stories so so, but overall I loved it, I'll now try and play the rest of the games in the series if they all do come out on PC.

I enjoyed both characters a lot, but I feel majimas story was a bit more emotional and bittersweet that I'd give it the edge over kiryus. Great stuff.

When makoto finds the clock in the empty lot. Also I thought makoto was going to run after majima on that scene with the doctor :(

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Whew, just finished the game today, what a ride. I started playing at around 1:30pm on CH 14, thinking I'd be done in maybe 2-3 hours. Looked at the clock when I got the end screen and it was 9pm :|. I think that's the longest I've gamed for consecutively in my whole life and I didn't even feel it.

Loved the story, the theme, the aesthetics, the sub stories so so, but overall I loved it, I'll now try and play the rest of the games in the series if they all do come out on PC.

I enjoyed both characters a lot, but I feel majimas story was a bit more emotional and bittersweet that I'd give it the edge over kiryus. Great stuff.

When makoto finds the clock in the empty lot. Also I thought makoto was going to run after majima on that scene with the doctor :(
The music on that scene with the doctor was so good...and the way the camera implies that Makoto doesn't recognize Majima's face because she has never seen it...It was super strong

Yakuza 0's faces were super good, especially on Majima. A single twitch of his eye and you'd get a whole different raft of emotions showing on his face.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nice, got all 7 substories in a row for telephone club, wish there were more depth to it because i actually enjoyed it lol

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How did I make it 40+ hours in before hearing the unholy symphony that is Majima's interjections on "Rouge of Love" for the first time?? Or rather... ROOOOOUGE OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE~

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
How do I avoid getting knived, I seem to be hit and miss on predicting the actions. Only in chapter 2 so I think its only going to get worse from here

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the PS4 version but thought I would ask here since it's more active. I'm only in Chapter 2, but can you find most of the sidequests by just roaming randomly throughout the city? I'm thinking about whether I should use a guide or something to find them all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the PS4 version but thought I would ask here since it's more active. I'm only in Chapter 2, but can you find most of the sidequests by just roaming randomly throughout the city? I'm thinking about whether I should use a guide or something to find them all.
Side story finder items can be gotten for each character. Kiryu's is gotten in chapter 5 (or there abouts) once you get far enough in his real estate quest. You'll do a "tax lady" side story and the reward is the side story finder. For Majima, you can get it almost immediately by completing the cook friendship quest for the seafood place south of the Sotenbori river (its the only place you can eat in the south side of the map, but beware you need a fishing rod to catch an eel, tortoise etc.)

No side stories are missable and most are easily triggered, but do bare in mind some are done via mini games (pocket racing is a big one) so make sure you check everything out.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I just installed this but haven't started it yet, you guys got any tips for a beginner? This will be my first time playing a Yakuza game.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Side story finder items can be gotten for each character. Kiryu's is gotten in chapter 5 (or there abouts) once you get far enough in his real estate quest. You'll do a "tax lady" side story and the reward is the side story finder. For Majima, you can get it almost immediately by completing the cook friendship quest for the seafood place south of the Sotenbori river (its the only place you can eat in the south side of the map, but beware you need a fishing rod to catch an eel, tortoise etc.)

No side stories are missable and most are easily triggered, but do bare in mind some are done via mini games (pocket racing is a big one) so make sure you check everything out.
Thanks so much, I'm really loving this so far!

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I just installed this but haven't started it yet, you guys got any tips for a beginner? This will be my first time playing a Yakuza game.
This was my first one and I think you can just jump right in -- the one thing I'll say is, as Kiryu, try to prioritize the "Mr. Shakedown's Deep Pockets" upgrade at the Shrine since that's far and away the best way to make obscene amounts of money once your real estate business starts rolling.

(And speaking of real estate, just pull up a map online of where the businesses you can purchase are -- the game gives you the names, but the signs are almost all in Japanese, so it'll save you from walking up to every single building looking for a prompt.)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This was my first one and I think you can just jump right in -- the one thing I'll say is, as Kiryu, try to prioritize the "Mr. Shakedown's Deep Pockets" upgrade at the Shrine since that's far and away the best way to make obscene amounts of money once your real estate business starts rolling.

(And speaking of real estate, just pull up a map online of where the businesses you can purchase are -- the game gives you the names, but the signs are almost all in Japanese, so it'll save you from walking up to every single building looking for a prompt.)

Thanks for the info. Any tips for the combat? I don't want my story progress to be halted because I can't win fights.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this makes the disco sub story easier.
tenor.gif

Ogita-san to claim yet another I see

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, is anyone else's copy still facing a lot of technical problems? I finished Chapter 3 and the Chapter 4 opening cutscene unleashed ANOTHER black screen of death so I lost like 40 minutes of progress. It's the fifth time it's happened, and I had to put the game down because I was super angry lol. I save like mad but this is just ridiculous at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with restaurants and bars occasionally charging me for alcohol but not actually checking it off or the character drink it? Bug?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm farming money with Mr. Shakedown, I already got the CP where you get more money from him but I read that there are two more ways to increase the multiplier with the Avarice shirt and the debt collectors necklace. Where can I get these?

I'm currently at chapter 10 with Kiryuu.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I like Rush mode, but the lack of Heat Moves are a bit of a bummer.
Granted I am still in the beginning, does Kiryu get more Heat Moves for Rush mode? Also I don't get that taunt move you can unlock early. It says you can use it with the 3rd bar to charge up Heat. Uhm... I already have 3 bars at this moment?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I like Rush mode, but the lack of Heat Moves are a bit of a bummer.
Granted I am still in the beginning, does Kiryu get more Heat Moves for Rush mode? Also I don't get that taunt move you can unlock early. It says you can use it with the 3rd bar to charge up Heat. Uhm... I already have 3 bars at this moment?
Heat moves for all stances are unlocked through training and the upgrade menu's. For rush you get some fantastic counter moves, and a couple of great ones for brass knuckles as well (so make sure to buy some for Kiryu when you can!)

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the game. Amazing. 11/10. Give me Kiwami right NOW.

Random stupid thing I noticed:

Qec49I0.png

QduBf3s.png

QYzWOps.png

6iZpAhD.png

Just finished the game. When I entered Chapter 13 I didnt stop until I reached the end. What a marvelous story that was.

Majima is a tragic character for me in this... From what I've seen in the past from GIFs, videos, etc of Yakuza, he always seemed like a crazy guy, he never gave of that vibe in Yakuza 0... And now I understand why.
Still, it feels such a change in the character, that ending sequence was completely off-character for me.

So I finished Yakuza 0 and I want more. What should I expect for Kiwami? I know it's shorter and I'm fine with that but will it be a big downgrade in terms of combat and/or side activities if Zero is the only Yakuza game I've played?

So glad people like the game.

As for kiwami, they do cut back on a bunch of stuff, because its meant to be a remake of Yakuza 1, so the script is edited slightly, but the story is largely the same. They also add and take away things from both 0 and Yakuza 1.

From Yakuza 1, I think they've removed some side stories that weren't very interesting and added some others to keep it in line with the quality at the moment.

From Yakuza 0, there's only one character now, Kiryu, and one city Kamurocho because that's how it was in the first game. There aren't any arcade games (not sure why), there's no disco and there's no property or cabaret management, so effectively no side activity just main story, side stories and mini games. The main story is definitely shorter, you can finish it in

It'll definitely feel like a reduced game, but it was a budget release on console $30 vs $60 for zero. I'd expect it to be $20 on PC as well. It's certainly worth that, Yakuza 0 was a total steal at $20.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hmm what does the blue number on items mean?
Swords and pistols and stuff are just passive bonuses right? So it can't b e number of uses.